Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1982 NCAA Violations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

1982 NCAA Violations

Aug 3, 2014, 6:55 PM

Is this NY Times story legit? I was on vacation with my cousins from up north this week.

I argued that Clemson's sins of the 1980's were nothing more than the same petty stuff that takes place today at places like UNC, Univ. of South Carolina, etc.

They found this article via Google.

"The violations included giving prospective players automobiles, television sets, ''substantial'' sums of cash, the N.C.A.A. said. In addition, the N.C.A.A. said Clemson had awarded scholarships to friends and relatives of recruits."

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/11/23/sports/severe-sanctions-levied-on-clemson.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1982 NCAA Violations

Aug 3, 2014, 6:58 PM

From what I have always understood, two of the guys that caused most of the problems never even played for Clemson.

They both played for Tennessee if I remember correctly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I won't address the infraction particularly...

Aug 3, 2014, 7:07 PM

but nothing like that is going on a Clemson these days.

Let dead dogs lie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were banned from television and bowls at a time

Aug 3, 2014, 7:09 PM

when we had some of our best teams. We paid a severe price, that's for sure. Not sure how to compare it to other universities now. The ncaa doesn't have the teeth it once did.

Money has that effect on people.***

Aug 3, 2014, 9:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We were banned from television and bowls at a time

Aug 3, 2014, 11:07 PM [ in reply to We were banned from television and bowls at a time ]

"We"

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

CLEMSON, not we, was banned from "live television". The

Aug 4, 2014, 7:46 AM [ in reply to We were banned from television and bowls at a time ]

games were televised tape delayed on ESPN.

I do remember that our basketball program.......

Aug 3, 2014, 7:29 PM

was put on probation during the late 70s or early 80s because of bad violations. I remember seeing Stan Rome and Tree Rollins (among other athletes) driving around campus in new cars that were later found to be bought for them.

Re: I do remember that our basketball program.......

Aug 3, 2014, 7:40 PM

Colon Abraham had a Monte Carlo and Skip Wise had a white Cougar...You would always see them driving away from Littlejohn

Aug 3, 2014, 7:38 PM

While our sins were substantial, there probably are similar, and even worse sins going on today at other schools. Our farm is a couple of miles from Hershell Walker's mom and Dad's home which was built for them by ugay fans, and yes, they got on probation, too. Auburn is the most sanctioned school in the NCAA, according to a report I once read, but the point is we were guilty, we paid severe penalties, and we have been pretty clean since then. I'd bet there are many who aren't clean, and IMO the academic fraud that uncheat is guilty of is much worse than anything we ever were accused of. And, the other poster is right that the worst offenders went to UT.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UNC is guilty of worse infractions

Aug 3, 2014, 7:43 PM

and got off with a slap on the wrist.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Uncheat is bringing ncaa scandals to a whole

Aug 3, 2014, 7:49 PM [ in reply to Re: 1982 NCAA Violations ]

new level. Nothing we did ever came close to those blue bellies

UNC doesn't have a single player that can spell infractions***

Aug 3, 2014, 8:53 PM

very well said***

Aug 3, 2014, 9:46 PM [ in reply to Re: 1982 NCAA Violations ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Re: very well said***

Aug 4, 2014, 8:40 AM

Thanks! You are a man of great wisdom on such matters!

Aug 4, 2014, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: 1982 NCAA Violations ]

One might have play at UT but I know the other played a Carson Newman. I think both ended up there

Aug 4, 2014, 8:41 AM

Very well could be right. I really didn't keep up with their sorry arses after the trouble they caused us.

Here ya go . . .

Aug 3, 2014, 7:49 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=718467

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

lawd....

Aug 3, 2014, 8:14 PM

however serious you may deem those violations, the NCAA only levied a 2 year probation on the Tigers. If you'll recall, the chickens got a 3 year probation for Whitneygate

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 years..... You're right, but 2 yrs of no bowl games and no

Aug 3, 2014, 8:19 PM

tv. Our sanctions were pretty severe by any standards. Too severe for any of us that are old enough to remember those days - then the acc bit@h slapped us for more. Should have left the acc that very day and saved us much heartache, esp basketball heartache

Those sanctions were common in those days. Oklahoma

Aug 3, 2014, 9:14 PM

had a very similar probation. Same for Florida, USC, the real one, and of course the SMU saga.

The ban on bowls and TV stopped when conferences started sharing bowl revenue and had network TV contracts. It started hurting every school in the conferences, not just the guilty school.

As far as recruiting sanctions, the worst in 20 years was Southern Cal's recent penalty banning bowls. They were still on TV in the regular season. Before 1995, they would have had 3 years with no TV or bowls.

Tell 'em marlborocountycoot

Aug 3, 2014, 11:47 PM [ in reply to 2 years..... You're right, but 2 yrs of no bowl games and no ]

fno

Tell 'em OMC - Old Man Coot

Aug 4, 2014, 12:40 AM

#80yearstooold

Aug 3, 2014, 9:15 PM

What we did was common in those days. We got caught and paid a heavy price.

Meanwhile, SC dolled out steroids to players on an unprecedented scale (Google SC steroid scandal for the details), got caught and received not so much as a slap on the wrist for it.

The real story

Aug 3, 2014, 9:28 PM

read Larry Williams, "The Danny Ford Years At Clemson" for the real story. The two players, Cofer and Minor went to Louisiana Tech and then to Carson Newman. Neither qualified for enrollment at Clemson. A local Knoxville business man gave them money. That was the major infractions. The blue noses at chapel hill should be equally as outraged over the academic fraud going on there as they were in '82.

Back in the 70's and 80's it was a free-for-all and big

Aug 3, 2014, 9:49 PM

time schools all did some pretty bad stuff. The difference was that they turned a blind eye to their "golden boys" like Bryant and Dooley while making examples of 'unchosen' ones.

You mean kind of like how the NCAA currently operates?

Aug 4, 2014, 7:35 AM

Selective enforcement of its own rules and by specifically targeting who to punish, if at all, or how severely.

Other than the National Democratic Party, I am not sure there is a more worthless organization than the NCAA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Yes, yes I do.***

Aug 4, 2014, 8:56 AM

Man, let it go!!!!!***

Aug 3, 2014, 10:27 PM

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic