Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2 horrible calls against us
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 849

2 horrible calls against us

Sep 22, 2018, 6:07 PM

wwjwgjsagjs;g;ggn

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The targetting got confirmed so I'm sure it was

Sep 22, 2018, 6:09 PM

correct by the rule book definition. Most likely your gripe is with the rule itself and not the officials.

it was a horrible flag

Sep 22, 2018, 6:10 PM

period

null

Re: The targetting got confirmed so I'm sure it was

Sep 22, 2018, 6:11 PM [ in reply to The targetting got confirmed so I'm sure it was ]

Nope. Did not lead with the helmet. His body was against the qb, arms wrapped, and facemask was againstbthe helmet. Bs call by the crappy acc officials..... again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2018, 6:12 PM [ in reply to The targetting got confirmed so I'm sure it was ]

I would say it doesn’t take into account a 5 foot tall guy gettig taken out by someone 6’4”. QB would have probably died if the linebacker would have hit him low or in the chest.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Smith is 8" taller than Marshall...how low does he...

Sep 22, 2018, 6:13 PM [ in reply to The targetting got confirmed so I'm sure it was ]

...get to prevent running into Marshall's helmet?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Sep 22, 2018, 6:14 PM [ in reply to The targetting got confirmed so I'm sure it was ]

The problem is the call is sometimes subjective vs objective. Even when the mechanics of the tackle don’t fully meet the definition of targeting, oficals can read intent into the call. It’s a good rule because it’s meant to protect defenseless players against headhunters however, it’s oroblematic whe officials read more into the situation than is really there.

Sep 22, 2018, 6:17 PM [ in reply to The targetting got confirmed so I'm sure it was ]

Here’s the rule:

“No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:

Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet”

He remained upright, didn’t launch, kept his head up, and tackled with both arms. The contact was face guard to helmet. The only way his tackle meets any of these requirements is the “when in question” clause and then, only if it being called targeting automatically makes any call “in question.” It was an egregiously bad call on the field and in review.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Replies: 7
| visibility 849
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic