Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2 Star General killed in a war zone is buried...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 388

2 Star General killed in a war zone is buried...

Aug 18, 2014, 10:14 AM

And the POTUS golfs. Literally golfing on Martha's Vineyard during the funeral.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/168636-guess-president-vice-president-2-star-general-laid-rest/

This doesn't really move the needle, because as I've said before, this president does not care. This job is hard and he does not want to do it anymore. He's given up on the country but he'll put a little bit of energy into leading his party...attending this funeral would not have done anything for him politically, so it's not worth the trouble.

This was an easy one. Just go to the funeral. But hey...be reasonable. Obama didn't want that war in the first place, so he's not responsible. I'd love to see his response if a reporter asked him about it. "The previous administration..."

Having said that...for goodness sake, don't play golf at the exact same time. Is there no one around him who can advise him on how bad that looks?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Why is a general any different than any other war dead?

Aug 18, 2014, 10:28 AM

..now watch iss drive...

Hmm. Perhaps if asked, THAT will be his response.***

Aug 18, 2014, 10:30 AM

null

He isn't, you have destroyed the poster's credibility with

Aug 18, 2014, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Why is a general any different than any other war dead? ]

your logical reply.

Re: 2 Star General killed in a war zone is buried...

Aug 18, 2014, 1:49 PM

Is this a departure from previous presidents where it comes to 2-star generals? Seriously I don't know which military funerals presidents typically attend.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

The data set is sparse. One General died in Vietnam...

Aug 18, 2014, 3:03 PM

and Nixon attended the funeral and one General died in the Pentagon on 9/11 and Bush attended his. Don't know further back than that.

Like I said in the original post, at this point I'm about out of Outrage Fuel when it comes to Obama. Would Obama attend the funeral of an Army General killed in Afghanistan? No...of course he wouldn't. He doesn't want to be bothered with that stuff. I did think the golf was a nice touch on his part, though. I know he doesn't care anymore, but SOMEONE ought to be in his ear about optics if he is to be of any value to anyone for the next two years.

null

Re: The data set is sparse. One General died in Vietnam...

Aug 18, 2014, 3:12 PM

Sounds like Obama is the anti-Bill Clinton. Bill was great at optics. Obama is far less of a bullshitter, as this incident and so many others (remember the flag pin?) illustrate.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Ehh...I think Obama is fine at the "optics" (or the

Aug 18, 2014, 3:26 PM

Democrats could surround him with advisers who would help him), and early on I think he was fine with them. As a matter of fact, I loved the Flag Pin thing...it was silly, and I'm sure if he had started out thinking about it, he would have thrown one on. But once people started making a "thing" out of it, I liked the idea that he didn't want to look like he was throwing it on to shut people up. Now, I think the problem is indifference. Any idiot would have thought that the first U.S. General being buried after being killed by the enemy in a war zone since Vietnam would probably be an appropriate event for the CIC to attend, but it takes a special kind of indifference to say "Eh...I had vacation planned, and tee time is at 1:00."

As for the "Why is a General more important than any other military death?" Well, in some ways it is most certainly not. But in a practical sense, the General is one of the leaders of thousands of soldiers. It is an appropriate time to pay tribute to his decades of service to his country and the service of the hundreds of soldiers who sacrificed under him. But...tee times and all. We didn't start the fire...

I would be curious what active duty soldiers think about that. You could rise to the rank of 2 Star General and this CIC wouldn't sacrifice the back nine to attend your funeral if the enemy ambushed you.

null

I guess I equate this loosely to a CEO not attending

Aug 18, 2014, 3:33 PM

the funeral of an executive level employee. At what point do you think the CEO should be expected to attend the funeral of one of his employees?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

It's true. Soldiers serving their country in a war zone are

Aug 18, 2014, 4:42 PM

no different than employees in a Fortune 500 company.

null

Did you miss the word loosely?

Aug 18, 2014, 4:51 PM

HTH

So what's the point of the comment? ******

Aug 18, 2014, 5:25 PM

null

Re: Ehh...I think Obama is fine at the "optics" (or the

Aug 18, 2014, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Ehh...I think Obama is fine at the "optics" (or the ]

On the flag pin issue, he totally folded once people complained enough, which I found very disappointing. Looking forward to the day when people stop worrying about what jewelry these guys tack onto their suits.

- Jonathan Swift

Oh. I don't know why I thought he held out.***

Aug 18, 2014, 4:41 PM

null

Children starved to death last night while he was asleep

Aug 18, 2014, 1:52 PM

The man is a monster.

Re: Children starved to death last night while he was asleep

Aug 18, 2014, 2:18 PM

Had he attended the funeral, he would have been accused of being insincere and lying. This kind of hatred for the best CIC since Clinton has no bounds. It's best to ignore such naivete. I'll probably get a thumbs down from my sneaky tea party dude for this.

Or THIS will be his response.

Aug 18, 2014, 2:56 PM

"Why would I attend the funeral when you'll just get mad at me anyway?"

I'm impressed you've toned down the rhetoric, Geech. "The best CIC since Clinton." That's awesome.

null

Seems like he should attend all military funerals

Aug 18, 2014, 2:57 PM

Is a 2* Generals life any more important than a Private?

That's your position? That he attend all military funerals?***

Aug 18, 2014, 3:17 PM

null

No it's not***

Aug 18, 2014, 3:18 PM

Okay. I'm just confused, I guess.***

Aug 18, 2014, 3:28 PM

null

You are***

Aug 18, 2014, 3:29 PM

I see I'll need to keep the rubber and glue away from you!***

Aug 18, 2014, 4:43 PM

null

If you're comparing him with Clinton then you aren't........

Aug 18, 2014, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Children starved to death last night while he was asleep ]

setting the bar very high. Of course we know Hillary will be the best ever yadda yadda.

Geech you toe the party line on here more than most conservatives do.

And no thumbs down. We just don't agree.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, but you are waaaaay off base,

Aug 19, 2014, 10:31 AM

I toe geechietiger's line, and no amount of adversarial verbiage can change that. Hope your day is as good as mine.

Yes, he's doing an excellent job. He's engaged and working

Aug 18, 2014, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Children starved to death last night while he was asleep ]

hard to improve this country.

Keep me straight, drew! Your point is well-taken!

null

Yawn

Aug 18, 2014, 2:58 PM

You're going to have to come with something more than that weak sauce.

What sauce are you referring to? I mocked the President for

Aug 18, 2014, 3:09 PM

golfing on vacation in Martha's Vineyard while a two-star General in the US Army for which Obama is the Commander in Chief was laid to rest after being killed while serving his country in a war zone, and you rightly pointed out that, hey, bad things happen all the time. Your point, I assume, is that if the President can't be EVERYWHERE, he might as well golf.

Was my weak sauce agreeing with you? Why should the President be involved in any of this stuff? It's not his fault Bush started two wars.

null

Appears to have been a private memorial service.

Aug 18, 2014, 3:55 PM

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-08-14/news/bs-md-maj-gen-harold-greene-arlington-20140814_1_afghan-national-security-forces-army-band-arlington-national-cemetery

I'm going to guess, without knowing for sure, that Obama was not invited. That's my guess because I imagine it would be pretty big news if he were invited and played golf instead.

- Jonathan Swift

Re: Appears to have been a private memorial service.

Aug 18, 2014, 4:18 PM

Logic is lost on people who are filled with Obama hate.

I wonder where my sneaky thumbs down buddy is, has he been reborn or something like that?

Yes, a private memorial service with only 800 in

Aug 18, 2014, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Appears to have been a private memorial service. ]

attendance. I'm sure the CIC was number 801, but you have to draw the line somewhere. No doubt his family spent the 9 days between his death and the memorial service pouring over the list of who would be invited and the CIC did not make the list. I'm sure if he had told the family that he would like to honor the service of a 34 year Army man killed in a war zone by attending his funeral, they would have hated that.

null

Maybe they blamed him.***

Aug 18, 2014, 5:54 PM

- Jonathan Swift

(Assuming you'll let me speculate, too.)***

Aug 18, 2014, 5:54 PM

- Jonathan Swift

Would this be fun otherwise?***

Aug 18, 2014, 5:57 PM

null

That's probably it. They probably told him that he wasn't

Aug 18, 2014, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Maybe they blamed him.*** ]

welcome at the memorial service. U.S. Army General families usually think that way. And the golfing at the exact same time was his way of showing that his feelings weren't hurt.

null

He should have stayed inside and privately mourned all day.

Aug 18, 2014, 5:59 PM

I believe this incident finally turned me around on the issue of whether to vote that guy into a third term. Not gonna go it. Not after this, Barry.

Only thing worse would be if he bans LBODs.

- Jonathan Swift

"Only thing worse would be if he bans LBODS."

Aug 19, 2014, 9:56 AM

You know that never would have happened under Clinton's leadership.

I'm unclear on the third term reference. Is the implication that criticism of the President is a waste of time? I'm not under the delusion that he is running again. I don't think he wanted to win in 2012. And I'm not here to impact real change. It's a small political discussion board created solely to keep the Main Board from getting too political. But it's become my go-to place to discuss these things...which is all I seek to do.

It's true that my opinion of the President is set. That doesn't mean everything he does is wrong...just that taken as a whole, he's a horrible, disinterested leader. I threw this story on this board as one of hundreds of day-to-day examples of why I think the President is done with this stuff. I don't expect his supporters to read that and decide that the man is horrible, but I do think that even his supporters should be able to say "Yeah...poor form on his part."

null

Replies: 36
| visibility 388
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic