Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2 Different Worlds
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

2 Different Worlds

Aug 1, 2014, 9:13 PM

After hearing the news that Nick Marshall " won't start " .....referring to his punishment. I can't help but to think back to 2011 when dabo was talking to the media ( the rant ) and he was explaining the differences between us and uscjr.

Remember?

He said there are a lot of differences.

Dabo proves how much he cares for these kids by doing what good parents,coaches, or mentors do. Discipline them they need disciplining.

Fast forward to spring of 2012. Sammy gets in to trouble and was arrested for marijuana. What does dabo do? Does he discipline Sammy by not letting him " not start " the game? No. He sits him down, our best player, for not just the start of the game....but 2 whole games. I for one, was glad he did it at the time. I knew if Dabo were to buckle under the pressure and let him play that ultimately he would be doing Sammy a injustice. But Dabo didn't buckle to the pressure. He stood strong and showed how much he cared for the young man by doing what was best.

Any rival fan reading this asks all the time...Why? Why does Clemson get these kids over other schools? Why does the Ray Ray's of the world choose Clemson over places like Florida? Simple.... Clemson truly is different. It's where boys come and leave as men. It's where a leader loves his players and shows that love even when they don't understand it initially. I'm proud to have Dabo leading our young men. It's a place where " won't start " will never happen.

Remember Gus. You might be doing whats best for your team in terms of wins and losses..... But you are crippling them for life with decisions like these.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent post!

Aug 1, 2014, 9:16 PM

+1, spot on.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well put, Dabo had the guts to build a program the right

Aug 1, 2014, 9:22 PM

way. Not all schools/coaches have that luxury if they are in a lawless league, for example. The school itself also has to have other attractive qualities as Clemson does to bring in the kids.

Re: Well put, Dabo had the guts to build a program the right

Aug 2, 2014, 7:55 AM

Thats the difference. Dabo chooses to do things the right way, whereas other coaches won't. I for one, think we have the best coach in the country and wouldn't trade him for anyone.

Re: Well put, Dabo had the guts to build a program the right

Aug 2, 2014, 8:00 AM

Mee too, brah, mee too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree 110%. I will admit that I had reservations at first.

Aug 2, 2014, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Well put, Dabo had the guts to build a program the right ]

But that is only because I did not know enough about Dabo. Kudos to Tommy Bowden for the recommendation and to Terry Don Phillips for also recognizing the unusual leadership qualities in Dabo Swinney. I think a lot of schools would have passed over him if they had him on staff. I am really glad Clemson didn't make that mistake.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me three . . . or 4 . . . I lost count.

Aug 2, 2014, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Well put, Dabo had the guts to build a program the right ]

I admit - I was one of the ones that thought TB was going to get it going to the next level for his last year or 2 when most everyone was calling for his head.

I held on too long . . . thought starting over would set us even further back.

So I tend to embrace the folks representing my University a little too emotionally.

But I learned with TB.

Any Tiger fan that isn't very happy and very excited about where CDS has our program headed is either:

1. a posing coot fan or

2. young & entitled or

3. afflicted with an unhealthy coot obsession or

4. more interested in being right instead of admitting a mistake on their part

And for clarity sake - this is NOT a list. They are bullet points of communication.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

So,

Aug 2, 2014, 7:59 AM

he is more than a cheerleader.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said! Hope to hear more from you ...***

Aug 2, 2014, 9:25 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2 Different Worlds

Aug 2, 2014, 9:31 AM

Not defending Auburn because you are right, but the comparison to SC is flawed.

1) Dabo took months to come up with a punishment for Sammy, at SC it is automatic and immediate. Nothing to think about.

2) you have a player (actually 2) hit a female. At Clemson cost him nothing, at SC it is immediate dismissal. Has happened twice in 9 years, both players, one of whom was a starter, gone within 24 hours.

3) at SC you get arrested it is immediate suspension from all team related activities,. Not so at Clemson, you "wait" until the "judicial system has run its course."

For the record, I think Dabo is a good person who legitimately cares about his players and tries to develop them as men and players. But before you take a shot at Spurrier, might want to get your facts right.

"discipline" was taken out of sos's hands for good reason

Aug 2, 2014, 9:37 AM

as it was at vpi & other universities where the head coaches were an embarrassment to the word.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "discipline" was taken out of sos's hands for good reason

Aug 2, 2014, 10:51 AM

Once again, a simple lie on your part. Why do you feel the need to make stuff up?

lie? hyman took discipline away from spurrier because sos's

Aug 2, 2014, 10:57 AM

rein as chief administrator was an embarrassment.

it's the same reason weaver & vpi took cap responsibility away from beamer. brandon ore was the last straw for beamer's little rein of terror.

i know that hurts, it's the truth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lie? hyman took discipline away from spurrier because sos's

Aug 2, 2014, 11:53 AM

That's not true.
Period

absolutely it is, "boys will be boys". hyman was forced to

Aug 2, 2014, 12:13 PM

step in and put a program in place that took the onus off stevo & "kept his hand out" of it not because of need & necessity; no other reason in this world for it as there is a student handbook that should suffice before football team discipline is handed down. but nope, vpi, scar and other programs where the head football coach couldn't handle their disciplinary business forced the ad &/or school presidents to take additional steps.

i would have loved to see beamer's look when the student disciplinary committee kicked holmes out of vpi for his part in the fight outside "top of the stairs", while at the same time the AD was readying to accept holmes back into the fold with open arms. perfect & poetic.

sorry, you can spin a little spin all you'd like, it's a joke what hyman had to put in place, but so was spurrier's track record where discipline was concerned.

Aug 2, 2014, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Re: 2 Different Worlds ]

Lol please tell me you are joking

Aug 2, 2014, 10:52 AM

Nope. Just the facts.

I don't think you know what the word "fact" means.

Aug 2, 2014, 10:55 AM

Probably nothing too important in the *no education required* transportation industry.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Message removed by Author

Aug 2, 2014, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: 2 Different Worlds ]

Message removed by Author

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: gamedicks love saying DeAndre McDaniel hit his grlfriend

Aug 2, 2014, 10:12 AM

Not to mention McDaniel was arrested in June of 2008, before Dabo was named interim coach in mid October.

Re: gamedicks love saying DeAndre McDaniel hit his girlfriend

Aug 2, 2014, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

Once again a lie, you guys are amazing, it is a matter of public record that a settlement was reached with the girl and as part of the settlement she did not press charges.
It is a shame that you won't deal honestly with this, just a shame.

Re: gamedicks love saying DeAndre McDaniel hit his girlfriend

Aug 2, 2014, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

Suspended multiple times and thrown off the team for a lot less than McDaniel did.
Try again

" at SC you get arrested it is immediate suspension"

Aug 2, 2014, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Re: 2 Different Worlds ]

Coach....I'm worried about keying that dudes car, the fire extinguisher incident and the public intoxication thing getting me suspended for some games" "Dont worry kid! I got drunk in Greenville last weekend and took a #### on Main St. And I'm still here"

But he was the starting quarterback!!!!

Aug 2, 2014, 10:26 AM

You can't suspend such an important player for a minor arrest! Oh wait.....Dabo did.

The line at USuC is when you punch a bouncer because they

Aug 2, 2014, 10:45 AM

wouldn't let your underage GF in the bar in 5-Points.

Wait, you don't get suspended then, either. So that's not it. Maybe the line is when you key a professors car...nope not there. How about pulling a fire alarm?

Hmmm.

Coaches can beat the #### out of each other on the sidelines

Aug 2, 2014, 10:57 AM [ in reply to " at SC you get arrested it is immediate suspension" ]

too.

Re: " at SC you get arrested it is immediate suspension"

Aug 2, 2014, 11:54 AM [ in reply to " at SC you get arrested it is immediate suspension" ]

What's your point? Both Garcia and Mangus here immediately suspended.

Re: " at SC you get arrested it is immediate suspension"

Aug 2, 2014, 12:08 PM

Yeah...Five or six of them. For a quarter or even better, spring practice. OOOOH MYYYY that's some tuff discipline right there.

Garcia never missed a game - tough love I guess....***

Aug 10, 2014, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Re: " at SC you get arrested it is immediate suspension" ]

Aug 2, 2014, 9:45 AM

Really, all the credit goes to Dabo. I disagree with your statement that:

"Clemson truly is different. It's where boys come and leave as men."

Were any of y'all in school or on campus in the 90's or were old enough to be following the football team in the 90's. Clemson was not making news for too much Christianity back then. There is nothing about Clemson the place that turns boys into men....Dabo should get all the credit.

This is what can happen with the wrong leadership....

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960915&slug=2349240

Clemson has certainly had embarrassing moments

Aug 2, 2014, 10:07 AM

in its history. But when leadership changes are needed to right the ship, they are made. Dabo does deserve a world of credit. He has a program that makes us all proud. He does things right. And Clemson IS a special place for recognizing him as a quality coach and human being. Clemson is a special place. Period. Maybe you have to be a Clemson person to feel it in your gut like I do.

At some schools it is all about "what can you do for me now"

Aug 2, 2014, 9:55 AM

They could care less when all the eligibility is used up.

Re: At some schools it is all about "what can you do for me now"

Aug 2, 2014, 11:56 AM

So by being able to care less, you're saying they actually care?

Aug 2, 2014, 2:57 PM

I see this post on our boards all the time(UGA). And I think these post are just patting ourselves on the back for doing something we are supposed to do. I think the majority of coaches care about their players and most programs do what they are supposed to do. I just don't think we should pat ourselves on the back for not being SCu or LSU or Auburn.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic