Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Observations Spring Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 5,837

Observations Spring Game

Apr 15, 2018, 10:18 AM

1) Tee Higgins is a dominant WR. He was peak Mike Williams yesterday. He cannot be covered. I don't know where he'll fit since he's technically Overton's backup, but he needs to start.

2) Kelly Bryant lost a throwing contest yesterday. Without the option to run, KB was forced to be one dimensional. And that only accentuated his struggles with hitting open receivers down field. He looked like he had pooped his pants on the sideline, looking frustrated and embarrassed, but knowing he could only blame himself. I like what KB brings to the table, but that format yesterday clearly was not doing him any favors.

3) Trevor Lawrence is 'as advertised.' Incredible arm, great accuracy, mature poise. Very good decision-making skills and a surprising burst of speed when he decided to run. He may not start this year, but he's the best QB on the team.

4) I thought our secondary played very well. Mullen is the best CB, but they were all very good in coverage. Again, nobody was stopping Tee Higgins yesterday, but they were all in position to make a play.

5) Isaiah Simmons is going to be awesome at SAM. But, I thought Jalen Williams played very well. Both are very good options, but Simmons has better range. Skalski showed out yesterday as well. The LBs are excellent. I don't know if anyone will be able to develop deep passing routes against us this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Observations Spring Game

Apr 15, 2018, 10:43 AM

Tee was not being throw to by KB either. KB brings nothing to the table in the passing game outside of WR/RB screens or 7 yards downfield. Those here thinking that the A&M game will be easy are fooling themselves. Kyle Field will be rocking, fillled to capacity and Jimbo would love nothing more than to hang Clemson's scalp on the pole. CU better show up with a solid plan and one that includes swapping out QB's if KB is in fact the starter when he is unable to hit receivers. KB being hindered by spring game rules were in fact nothing different than what Bama did in the Sugar Bowl. They took away the run and dared him to pass, much like yesterday in fact only they did it physically instead of by the whistle. 3-5 I can agree with and also 1 when factoring in who was making those passes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2018, 10:57 AM

Lets not forget that everybody played by the same set of rules. I think that it was intentionally set up to see if KB had made any improvements in his throwing game since Bama. It appeared to me and coaches that he hasn't. In a real scheduled game, if we had to depend on KB's arm to win a game, we can mark it down as a loss. There is some of our fan base that flat refuses to believe that KB's passing game flat out sucks!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's obvious

Apr 15, 2018, 11:18 AM

I'm actually surprised to see this contingent on TNet defending KB. Every Clemson fan was hoping to see KB come out and light it up. Everybody was hoping to see improvement in his ability to pass the football. Unfortunately, everybody saw that KB continues to be a bad passer.

Imagine having a FG kicker that missed 75% of his attempts. Now that kicker may be a great punter or maybe he's kicking it out of the stadium on kickoffs. But, if he's only hitting 25% of his FG attempts, nobody in their right mind was say he was a good FG kicker, deserving of the starting role.

Forget HJ or TL or Brice. Just look at KB. And ask yourself this: Would you consider KB to be a Good, Average or Poor passer? If you didn't answer "Poor" then you're lying to yourself. The tape doesn't lie. Now, KB may be a Practice All-American. Coaches obviously think he can do the job, and they have a lot more insight than we do. But, for the KB apologists here on TNet... they're seeing the same thing I'm seeing and coming to a completely different conclusion. And that's surprising to me (although it probably shouldn't be).

That said, it doesn't make me a bad fan to say KB is a poor passer. It just makes me a realist. KB can't pass. I find his ability with throwing the football at a wide open receiver to be insufficient.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's obvious

Apr 15, 2018, 11:24 AM

That’s a great way to put it. I love KB! Just not as our starting QB next year

Apr 15, 2018, 12:46 PM [ in reply to It's obvious ]

I don’t know so much about a contingent of tnet defending KB as a starter so much as a lot of us are fed up with the KB bashing. I appreciate that you are not doing that. You are stating your opinion based on what you saw and you are doing it without disrespecting our players and coaches. I have to agree with much of what you have said but we have a very small sample size compared to what the coaches see day in and day out. They have more than proven themselves. Yes they have made mistakes and will continue to do so just like any other human being but they have done more than enough to gain the respect of tiger fans. I trust them to make the best decision they can with all of the information and experience they have. And as of right now we do not know for sure what they have decided. Shoot they probably won’t know for sure until two weeks before the season starts. Whoever, if anyone, is named a starter coming out of spring at any position is not guaranteed that spot for the first game. The coaches have always said that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2018, 1:47 PM

Look, you seem to want everyone to agrree that KB is the man. Sorry but most of us saw his ceiling last year and the spring game just showed us that is not a bit higher. He is what he is at the QB position. He can run the ball but the passing thing eludes him. 13 TD passes at WRU? 9 against quality teams? Saying he lacks ability to throw the ball is not belittling him or bashing him, it is just a fact proven out time and again. IF he wants to play on Sunday he needs to change his position as he in not even a quality college QB from a passing point of view. No he would not beat out Bentley at uSuck either. He is a great kid by all accounts, tough and athletic but he is not the guy to lead this team to a NC. What the spring game did with a whistle on QB runs the Bama team did with physical play and stacking to box daring him to throw. What we saw yesterday is all KB will ever be in the passing game. While HJ/TL show poise in moving inside the pocket KB lacks and last year basically ran backwards for many 10 yard sacks. As to practice, I do not care how great a kid looks in practice if he does not do it when the lights are on and the stadium is full. Maybe he gets stage fright because what is happening on the practice fields is not showing up on game days. Anyway, if this team is to win a NC this year it will be on the ability to open the field with a vertical passing game, the very same reason I won a lot of money on that 2016 team to beat Bama. Clemson was the only team built to beat them that year and it was because of the ability to streatch the field vertically.

Higgins is a fast Mike, and WAS backup to Overton

Apr 15, 2018, 10:49 AM

And you left out Justin Foster...Interesting, but I wonder if Muse could cover Higgins? The other 3 QB's are better downfield passers than KB. I don't see how he can keep his job. He reminds me of the two Ohio State QB's who switched to receivers, and who won jobs in the NFL as receivers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Higgins is a fast Mike, and WAS backup to Overton

Apr 15, 2018, 11:07 AM

In truth KB , if he desires to play on Sunday, should request a position change. The kid is tough, a leader and very athletic. He is just not a QB and he may be coming to that realization after watching his demeanor on the sidelines after another 3 and out.

YeP, KB is not a natural passer but did 110% more in 2017 for Tigers than I expected, so

Apr 15, 2018, 11:16 AM

I give him my thx & 4Ever gratitude for showing up & producing an unexpected & rewarding 12-2 season & a Final 4 appearance.

Saying, KellyB is a Clemson Man who succeeded highly on the playing field when we highly needed it..and he will succeed again, wherever it is.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: YeP, KB is not a natural passer but did 110% more in 2017 for Tigers than I expected, so

Apr 15, 2018, 11:22 AM

In truth I feel the exact same way as you on KB. Thing is last year was last year, something some folks here seem to forget that. Is KB the best QB on the roster, IMHO no. Would love to see him put his athletic abilites to use in a different position that could possibly allow him to play on Sunday.

you 'd think that would be obvious to anyone...

Apr 15, 2018, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Higgins is a fast Mike, and WAS backup to Overton ]

he either has no desire to play on Sundays, doesn't plan that far ahead, or is under the illusion that he can make a roster as a practice squad QB. His chances of making an NFL roster increase 1000 fold if he moves to WR or S, sooner rather than later.

Muse? He was bad in coverage last season.

Apr 15, 2018, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Higgins is a fast Mike, and WAS backup to Overton ]

More of a run stopper than a coverage or ball hawking safety.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Braden Galloway is going to surprise people next year.

Apr 15, 2018, 11:43 AM

He already looks like Jordan Leggett physically. With a healthy foot between now and September, he's going to improve rapidly. Great athleticism for a such a big dude. We've got a number of role players at tight end, but he appears to be the playmaker in the passing game that we lost in Leggett.

The coaches referenced getting better in the downfield passing game and the screen game earlier this spring. We were a bit smallish at receiver last year. I think they would love to work him into the mix right away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Braden Galloway is going to surprise people next year.

Apr 15, 2018, 12:24 PM

I saw a couple plays from who I thought was Galloway, was he wearing the purple mesh over his jersey? If so , and I do think it was he will make a huge upgrade to the TE position as far as receptions.

Agreed. Derion Kendrick and Justin Foster stood out

Apr 15, 2018, 12:13 PM

among the youn'uns with little to no experience. Adam Choice ran really, really hard, and ETN looks as dangerous as ever. Amari Rodgers looks like he's matured a notch and is ready to be a star. Everybody on the D-line is either a bonafide star, or one in the making; it's downright ridiculous. And with all of out 4/5 Star talent, it's great to see guys like Ty Thomason and Darien Rencher get some PT; they make a valuable contribution to this team, and would be starters at a lot of places. TE looked solid all the way around. Wish I was better at observing and analysing O-Line, but I just don't have the expertise. Going against a horde of future NFL monsters on the D-Line can only help, however.

All-in-all, we have stars all over the field.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Agreed. Derion Kendrick and Justin Foster stood out

Apr 15, 2018, 12:26 PM

Yup and we still have Ross and Kyler coming this summer. Plus BT who will kick FG's past 50+ yards.

Re: Agreed. Derion Kendrick and Justin Foster stood out

Apr 15, 2018, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Agreed. Derion Kendrick and Justin Foster stood out ]

Broken up olines make it hard to evaluate units because it relies so much on synergy and experience. You can look at one on one match-ups though, like when Foster straight up beat Carmen on that one possession.

Apr 15, 2018, 1:56 PM

Sorry,but Jalen Williams has been outrecruited. Renfrow absolutely ran off and left him on the long pass. He understands the position well but is not fast enough to get the job done. Simmons and Mike Jones are the players at this position. People need to understand Lawrence is clearly the best option at qb,Skalski is way ahead of Davis. Loyalty to upperclassmen is only good when talent level is close. The players know who should play.

2)....one dimensional...

Apr 15, 2018, 2:28 PM

Ask Saba, he made KB one dimensional and KB was allowed to use his legs against Bama. Guess what, that forces the OL to get beat.

Replies: 19
| visibility 5,837
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic