Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is exactly why our basketball program gets no respect
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

This is exactly why our basketball program gets no respect

Jan 16, 2021, 7:35 PM

and will never get it. Yes, I know covid and layoff and all of that, but a legit #12 team does not get blown out by 40. PERIOD. No analysis or explanation needed. This sums up the entire history of Clemson basketball.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: This is exactly why our basketball program gets no respect

Jan 16, 2021, 7:38 PM

Never felt w were #12 though. We've won some nice close games. about as many as Miami has lost. we haven't dominated anyone and have just worn some down w lots of players. We're 20m-25 at best

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson “Grit” was not on display tonight.

Jan 16, 2021, 7:39 PM

Very disappointing.

Here’s to a better showing next game.

~JKB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2021, 7:44 PM

Yeah I think we are overrated. When it's all said in done we won't finish any higher than 6th in the ACC.

Is that mediocrity?***

Jan 16, 2021, 7:48 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jan 16, 2021, 7:58 PM

Virginia was on fire tonight - so hats off to them for a great night on the court.

Clemson looked like a team who had been out of competition for a while...it would have taken an A+ night to keep up with Virginia today.

Based on the circumstances, I give Clemson a mulligan for this game. You start off against any good team like Clemson did today in the first half and it's going to be an ugly score.

Still, it may be a blessing to get that humble pie now for this team. They are super talented and could contend for a conference Championship and a go far in the tourney if they continue to play how they were before the break.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2021, 7:59 PM

Give Brad 11 days to prepare and this is the result. He should donate his paycheck to charity. Every time I think there’s a glimmer of hope reality shows it’s ugly rear again. Bennett is a real deal basketball coach but the lack of effort is what I can’t stand from Brownlee’s team. Prime time embarrassment.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The team could not practice for most of those days

Jan 17, 2021, 9:06 AM

Due to the COVID issues. I don't think any amount of coaching could have made up for how rusty and cold we came out. Still not an excuse for a blowout, but it's not like we just had an open date.

Jan 18, 2021, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: This is exactly why our basketball program gets no respect ]

If Bennet got the players Brad gets he would be no better. Cold shooting happens and is ugly. As fortunate as we have been in winning close games I felt like a game like this was coming. Coach didn’t cause the loss. I’ve seen several post that tells me we have some on here who should be coaching. Not !!!

Jan 18, 2021, 8:49 AM

User Logo
breeze89
Team Captain [499]
TigerPulse: 84%
Posted: Jan 18, 2021, 8:44 AM

If Bennet got the players Brad gets he would be no better. Cold shooting happens and is ugly. As fortunate as we have been in winning close games I felt like a game like this was coming. Coach didn’t cause the loss. I’ve seen several post that tells me we have some on here who should be coaching. Not !!!

RECRUITING HAS PICKED UP FINALLY BUT YOU ARE ALWAYS GOING TO HAVE IDIOTS AND WALMART FANS THAT WILL B!TCH NO MATTER WHAT. THESE ARE THE SAME MORONS THAT WANTS HEADS TO ROLL AFTER EVERY LOSS IN FOOTBALL THAT HAPPENS SO RARELY. VERY SAD.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2021, 8:13 PM

It’s just our second loss. Don’t bail on Brad B and this team. Our BB team is 9-2 a very impressive record. I know it’s hard not to let your emotions get the best of you. Believe me I wanted to jerk Ryan Day through the TV and punch his lights out. So I feel your pain. Especially with our Basketball Team. They have broke our hearts so many times today’s loss kinda of puts those past thoughts in your mind.

IMO though I believe this team has the heart of a Tiger and a winner!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2021, 9:41 PM

Second worst home loss by a rank team in NCAA History.

One day someone in the athletic department will wake up and realize its another Brownell let down.

We went 10 minutes without scoring. two points in first 12 minutes. An 11 year trait of Brownell.

He must have learned from Scam who use to be up the road in Charlotte. Sets you up for a big let down and then takes that 2.5 million per year.

I have said this for the 1000th time, he is not the guy to take us to the next level.

Yeah, if only we had

Jan 17, 2021, 3:19 PM

Oliver Purnell, who could never win an NCAA Tournament game, and bailed on Clemson after realizing he had some lean years ahead due to major recruiting misses.

Or Rick Barnes, who had one good recruiting class resulting in one season where he won in the NCAAs, and bailed on us.

Or Larry Shyatt, who was always at or near the bottom of the ACC, never close to an NCAA berth, and was ultimately fired.

Or Cliff Ellis, who was good for one deep NCAA run, which was later vacated due to NCAA sanctions, and who was ultimately fired.

Yes, let’s go back to the good ‘ol days. These days are so awful, with a coach who has us in the top 15, fresh off a top 20 recruiting class, who just last year best UNC for the first time in Chapel Hill in program history, who has the most wins in Clemson basketball history, who also has the best ACC winning percentage in program history, who runs a clean program with the best academic performance in program history, whose players are very involved in the community and represent Clemson well. Yeah, he stinks! What an awful coach!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

You don’t have to go back - to move forward.

Jan 17, 2021, 5:25 PM

We all know your position on CBB.
Question though - at what point do you believe that criticism is fair?
When do you personally take off your 100% support hat and question what can be done to not have huge gaps in our scoring?
Lately, you have taken some shots at football players (calling them d bags) and Coaches now considering transfers. Why do you do this and then jump on people critical of issues with basketball results?

At the end of the day, virtually every person on Tiger net simply wants to win or be competitive.

Yesterday was a weird one. I personally get losing to a team on their day. Ok. What I am frustrated with is the lack of a basic offensive strategy to go inside and perhaps make or get fouled.
I do like that our talent is deeper this year. I don’t care who our coach is (unless he does something stupid and CBB is not going to do that). I and many here simply wonder why we do some of the same things over and over.

BTW, the boards also question things like offensive line, tight ends, throwing over the middle, stopping pass plays, etc.
So it is not just basketball.

My problem is the double standard many here have.

Jan 17, 2021, 11:28 PM

They have no problem saying Brownell sucks, or a basketball player has no business playing division 1 basketball. All that stuff is fine, it’s just Clemson basketball, who cares, etc.

But these same people can’t handle someone saying anything negative about football. It’s so predictable, it would be funny if it weren’t so sad.

Obviously the basketball program isn’t perfect. I’m fine with people criticizing the basketball team. For example, last night’s loss was awful. Totally embarrassing. That’s on Brownell. You won’t get any disagreement from me.

But how many people came here to TigerNet last night and posted their displeasure with the loss, and left it at that? How many realized it’s one bad game out of 10, and likely an anomaly rather than a trend? Unfortunately, not many. Instead, it was a bunch of posts about how awful our coach is, how our administration needs to fire them all, how we won’t win half of our conference games this year, etc.

Do you think that’s a fair criticism? Because I don’t. I think it’s a huge overreaction, and I’m going to defend the program. That doesn’t make me a blind supporter. It makes me a supporter. Huge difference.

I think our offensive game plan this year is good. It is predicated on getting defensive stops (which we didn’t do much of against UVA) with the goal of getting out in transition. If scoring up tempo isn’t there, we will use a lot of ball screens to get someone open for a shot. This tends to work well when we move the ball well and make shots. We didn’t make shots well yesterday either. Super frustrating!

I think we are missing a guy who can create his own shot and get us a bucket to keep a 2-3 minute scoring drought from becoming a longer one. Simms would ideally be that guy, but other than an occasional attempt at a hook shot I don’t think he has a go-to move. That’s really frustrating for a senior who was preseason first team all-ACC.

Don’t get me wrong, we wouldn’t have beaten UVA yesterday regardless. But for our team to take the next step, we need someone to be that go-to guy.

It doesn’t have to be a post player either. I’m fine with it being a smaller guy who can create space and knock down a shot. But it needs to be someone wearing a Clemson jersey. If it isn’t going to be Simms, maybe it’s Honor or Newman.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

It isn't 1 out of 10...Its one 1 of 2.

Jan 18, 2021, 12:27 AM

That is Brownell's record against conference teams (And I'm being kind). That is not even in the same realm as our football team. They aren't comparable.

Jan 17, 2021, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: This is exactly why our basketball program gets no respect ]

I use to play sports at a very competitive level. Our team was really dialed in. Then we were off for a week. The next game our team laid nothing but big goose eggs. IMO the week off really hurt Clemson. It amazes me how quickly some of you turn on coaches and players. I hope you do not coach kids sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post, I agree.***

Jan 17, 2021, 11:31 PM

I never thought we were a legit #12 team, maybe somewhere

Jan 17, 2021, 10:20 AM

between 20 and 40.

I do, however, think we could potentially grow into a legit top 15 team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2021, 10:25 AM

and will never get it. Yes, I know covid and layoff and all of that, but a legit #12 team does not get blown out by 40. PERIOD. No analysis or explanation needed. This sums up the entire history of Clemson basketball.

So you assume the worst and kick the program when it’s down. CU Bball is better off without fans like you.

My preference would be to not jump off the ledge due to one loss under difficult circumstances. I prefer to root for the team and see how it plays out. But to each his own

What a radical idea! What’s wrong with you?

Jan 17, 2021, 3:21 PM

Your blind support of Brownell is ridiculous. Are you related to him or something?

He needs 10 more years!***

Jan 17, 2021, 7:42 PM

Does a legit #2 get blown out by 4 TDs?***

Jan 17, 2021, 1:48 PM

Re: Does a legit #2 get blown out by 4 TDs?***

Jan 17, 2021, 4:26 PM

Kicking dirt on the football team to justify yesterday's debacle. That you Judge?

I can't help but notice you responded without answering my

Jan 17, 2021, 4:51 PM

question

Getting beat by 35 in hoops is like getting beat

Jan 17, 2021, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Does a legit #2 get blown out by 4 TDs?*** ]

by 100 in football.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Please explain...People get beat by 30+ points all the time

Jan 17, 2021, 4:59 PM

in basketball, when was the last time somebody lost by 3 digits in Football? We beat Duke by 30 in basketball, but have we beaten them by more than 50 in football?

1999 - Clemson 58-Duke 7 (51pts)***

Jan 17, 2021, 7:45 PM

That's only a 15.5 point loss using his logic***

Jan 17, 2021, 9:18 PM

I don't agree with him...Just answering your question.***

Jan 18, 2021, 12:25 AM

Which proved my point, losing by 30 isn't comparable to

Jan 18, 2021, 12:18 PM

losing by 100 in football

Re: Getting beat by 35 in hoops is like getting beat

Jan 17, 2021, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Getting beat by 35 in hoops is like getting beat ]

Pretty sure you meant that in reverse. Otherwise...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no rebuttal for what happened against Virginny.

Jan 17, 2021, 4:46 PM

But, I will say that there is far more talent on this years team than in years past. Hardly any of it put in an appearance in that game, but, it is, just one game. And, as another poster said, I don't think anyone in the country would have beaten the Cavaleers the way they were shooting the rock.

Nobody with talent likes to be embarrassed, so I think these guys will snap back from this pretty fast.

One more comment, just for the Judge. Have you ever stopped to consider that the reason Brownell owns all these records you speak of is a combination of p!ss poor coaching preceding him, or the bailouts you referred to, or being given WAY more time to fail than previous coaches got? Not going to get on the "Fire Brad Brownell" train again, because it is painfully evident that ain't happening. Nor should it, at the present time. He may well be a brilliant X's and O's coach. But, I said it before, and I'll say it again, he lacks the visible fire in the belly that coaches like Rick Barnes exhibited. And, I only use him as example because he is the first of that fiery type that comes to mind. Even Rat Face gets heated when the situation demands. We for sure have it in our football head coach, and DC. Clemson roundball will never get over the hump until it shows up there as well.

No fire?

Jan 17, 2021, 11:38 PM

You mean like this?

Or this?

Or this?

Or this?

Jan 18, 2021, 10:14 AM

Well, one thing that seems like a problem to me is this .... we seem to have the exact same team in December that we do at the end of February. What I mean is we don't seem to improve throughout the year. Meanwhile, teams like UNC, Duke, State, UVA all seem to be much better by the end of the season. That can only be coaching.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic