Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1982, 83, 84, 85 All Over Again!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

1982, 83, 84, 85 All Over Again!

Oct 19, 2016, 12:49 PM

I have been part of this forum since it started. I was lucky enough to be a Freshman the year we won it all. I have seen the highest highs and the lowest lows. The comments I keep hearing about coaches, play calling, and the program in general are eerily similar to those we made after Danny Ford won the Natty. We were never happy in the result, always quick to criticize the play calling or player selection or not winning big enough. Yet, we won. We won a ton of games, most of which were by most standards ugly wins. Yes we had 82 vs Wake or 52 vs MD (while also setting the record for the most helium balloons launched at one time - Rising Above), but those margins didn't happen often. Nevertheless, we won. Yet, still the angry shouts of C'mon Danny! WTH! Rang out in the stands. Sound familiar?

Folks, we are winning again. My gosh, look at our record vs unranked, at home, on the road look. We are right where we have been hoping, dreaming, and dying to be. Yet, we aren't satisfied because we aren't winning with style points??!! At the end of the year, if we win all our games in the same manner do you know what they will call us? Champions. Enjoy the Wins, no matter how they come, Enjoy them. Do we have things that need to be corrected - indeed, I would be shocked if we didn't. But I would rather be where we are, growing and getting better each week vs at the top of my game and no where to go but backwards. I don't know if we will win out. I don't know if we will get better. But I trust in the coaches that if we falter, the players will learn from it and come back stronger. I also trust in the coaches to coach like crazy to to prevent the falter. That said, 7-0, and we are winning. Let me ask you, if you were where are feathered friends are right now would you trade records, even without the style points. #### Straight you would, in a freaking heartbeat.

So, think about this and enjoy the Winning.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1982, 83, 84, 85 All Over Again!

Oct 19, 2016, 1:08 PM

Amen brother!

I don't think that's it...

Oct 19, 2016, 1:10 PM

I have also seen the highs and the lows as a student and alumnus.

I won't speak for the other Clemson fans, but personally, I am happy that we are winning a lot of games again.

My only concern is that we keep making mistakes to the point where it's really too close for comfort.

I really believe that "if you keep playing with fire, you will get burned".

I still remember last year when many fans were concerned about our kicking game. Unfortunately, it really did change momentum in the title game. And last year, there were some people who also said not to worry.

Do these concerns really mean that we don't believe or trust the coaches? I say no.

Personally, I think that Dabo and his staff have proven themselves.

I guess it's just like when fans yell at the TV; somehow they think it's going to change the outcome. LOL

We are just being fans, I think.

Oct 20, 2016, 7:31 PM

It's been a while but I thought we could have gone undefeated in '82 also. I agree with your argument however. The thing that I have always loved about Clemson and it's fans are that even during the lean times, we seem to have a little bit higher standard. We know we can do better, so we continually push for improvement. Having said that, I am not going to complain about our coaches or record especially since I saw what happened in the early to mid '90s!

Oct 20, 2016, 7:36 PM

Awesome post. I agree with everything you said bro

I don't agree with him

Oct 20, 2016, 8:10 PM

He's a whippersnapper!

Kind of like that punk Centennial Tiger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has definitely NOT seen the "lowest of lows", That = 1975

Oct 20, 2016, 8:20 PM

A miserable 2-9 record and really just totally abused in practically every game with a team that was coming off of a 7-win season and expecting big things.

For me, that season was the "lowest of lows" ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The irony from that season was the fact that

Oct 20, 2016, 8:32 PM

the ACC media fell all over themselves making us the pre-season ACC champs ignoring Red Parker's loud protests that he didn't have enough experience returning on either line to field a competitive team.

Coach Parker was right about the 75 season. If anyone had listened to him that summer, he may have gotten more credit for the good work he was doing to build for the future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Red definitely recruited well and it paid off for Pell/Ford

Oct 21, 2016, 1:28 PM

For whatever reason, Red didn't do a very good job with that 1975 team and then in 1976, Lordy! ... he was just plain unlucky in 4-5 very close games. The sad result was that even though he recruited excellent talent, he didn't get to coach the great Steve Fuller/Jerry Butler teams in 1977 & 78 that eventually kick-started what most know today as "Clemson Football" ... Red probably deserved better.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fuller and Butler did play for Red Parker in 76 & 76

Oct 21, 2016, 10:20 PM

But, I agree that the 76 team was a much better team than their record. And the 74 team deserved a bowl game. They picked bowl games that year way too early. It was because Clemson was glaringly omitted that the NCAA changed the rules the next year - prohibiting bowl pick until a later date.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You knuckle-draggin', mouth-breathin' so-and-so.

Oct 21, 2016, 10:50 PM [ in reply to I don't agree with him ]

Sure would like to pop an RC, share a box of Moon Pies, and kick you in the shin.

Let me know if you make it to a game

Oct 21, 2016, 11:41 PM

All the things you mentioned could happen.

By the way, we have two reasonably new, orange cats. I named them RC and Moonpie.

I think we know this is Watson's last year, and...

Oct 20, 2016, 7:42 PM

we will need to play better to win it all. This year is supposed to be our year. We will have to play better. The standards have gone up. I think most of us still believe we can be way better.

Re: I think we know this is Watson's last year, and...

Oct 21, 2016, 2:37 PM

I agree with the original post it is great to be a Tiger fan right now. I also agree with you we will have to play better to win it all. It is great that DW4 is so clutch but we need to quit relying on him to make a drive to make up for previous mistakes. He is only human and one of these times he will falter.

You festering boil on a maggot's butt

Oct 20, 2016, 7:43 PM

Well said, man. Good to see you're still around. Kiss tigercub on the jaw and tell her it's from me.

1968, 69, 70

Oct 20, 2016, 8:30 PM

Those years we lost more than we won, uSuC ripped us 3 in a row, auburn, Alabama, Georgia used us as practice games. It was great to be a tiger then and sit in a near empty stadium and watch the tigers regularly beat Maryland and Virginia. It's all about being a tiger fan,win or lose. Undefeated seasons are a miracle, 10-2 is great, getting to a bowl is a good season. I just love to see what happens with the X's and O's for 60 minutes 12 times a year. Go Tigers Forever.
Old Hickory, class of '71.

Almost makes me wish we hadn't imposed the death penalty

Oct 21, 2016, 10:06 PM

on ourselves in January 1990 for the pure sake of academic sophistication that created 20 years of purgatory that still seems like the absolute dumbest thing I have ever seen a football school do to itself confound it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with all you said.

Oct 21, 2016, 10:54 PM

But, this is supposed to be our year to win it all. The difference is that in the 80s we were fresh off of a NC. It's been a long time. It is time to win it again! Are we happy that we are winning 10+ games a year? Of course. But this team was supposed to be special. The questions were supposed to be on the Defense. This was supposed to be Deshaun's Heisman year. It is just different than the way we were expecting. I think a lot of people (like yours truly) are disappointed that Deshaun isn't leading in the Heisman race. A lot of people were talking about the greatest offense ever, and would the defense be able to stop people. It's just different. I am happy as heck to be 7-0. I think we are still on a path to win it all. The only thing I am regretting right now is that there are so many offensive players that I love and want to see get accolades and it's just not happening. I mean, the mid season awards have only 1 All-ACC offensive person (Hyatt) and 5 on defense. Yes, defense absolutely wins championships, but it is just tough watching the offense turn the ball over so much and just be stale at times. But, I truly believe we are on the cusp of a great run to finish. Deshaun will have a great game vs. FSU and it will propel us forward. I am not worried at all, and if we lose, I know that the infrastructure is in place for many successful years in the future.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic