Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Defense only gave up 17 points after 3 Quarters
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,321

Defense only gave up 17 points after 3 Quarters

Aug 30, 2014, 10:31 PM

Despite missing a field goal, dropping several passes, giving up an incredibly easy kickoff return, and UGA consistently starting near midfield, our defense kept us in the game and we were pretty much tied going in to the final quarter. Our offense failed to even switch ends of the field and with repeated three-and-outs not even our depth is enough to overcome being on the field for the entire third quarter in 90 degree temperature and high humidity.

Everyone calm the #### down. We are going to be fine. Once again, the O-line is a weakness and for the first time in a few years we don't have a feature back in Ellington. However, our backs are plenty good enough to get the job done if our line could run block and our receivers are young but talented.

What concerns me the most is Morris' decision to call more conservative plays in the second half and seemingly abandon not only the deep pass but our screen game as well. I'm not a football guru or coach, but I would like to hear his reasoning for calling more runs. Cole seemed to have plenty of time when we were calling a balanced attack in the first half but UGAy was able to tee off on our QBs when it was 3rd and long.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Defense only gave up 17 points after 3 Quarters

Aug 30, 2014, 10:32 PM

O-line is garbage

here is a thought.. the game is 4 quarters long***

Aug 30, 2014, 10:33 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's another thought

Aug 30, 2014, 10:47 PM

I was trying to demonstrate that yes, even when our defense has to be on the field for almost the entire 3rd quarter of a game, they were successful at holding 4 running backs and a team playing at home with the advantage of altering the snap count to only 17 points.

What I'm saying is when you run a hurry-up offense and literally gain 0 first downs in a quarter, you are putting your defense in a serious hole. Had we been able to pick up even perhaps 3 first downs or sustained at least one drive during that quarter UGAy wouldn't have been able to tee off on our fatigue.

thanks for the brilliant analysis, capt obvious***

Aug 30, 2014, 10:48 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol I just wrote the same thing. Defense is as advertised

Aug 30, 2014, 10:34 PM

Great depth, the secondary was really good in coverage, and the DL is disruptive. There is a reason UGA's only success early on came from PIs and toss sweeps. They knew they couldn't blow us off the ball.

Aug 30, 2014, 10:34 PM

You are spot on....

17 points is a lot of points in a football game or am I

Aug 30, 2014, 10:37 PM

Posting on the baseball forum.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I, Phillip, a small boy of twelve, lay exhausted, not knowing if I was sleeping or if I was daydreaming that I was sleeping. Gently I rocked back in forth in my hammock, a hammock woven out of the eyelashes of 1000 deer.

Well

Aug 30, 2014, 10:42 PM

17 points against Gurley, Marshall, Michel, Chubb playing at UGA with the advantage of mixing the snap count and Mike Bobo calling plays. Yea I'd call that successful.

Aug 30, 2014, 10:35 PM

Unfortunately, a lot of the conservative plays to me actually looked like Cole taking things into his own hands. I saw Cole pulling the ball down almost immediately several times, and he checked down to running backs who were standing behind the line of scrimmage when there were other down field options.

Ultimately I think a lot of the conservative plays in the second half was less calls by Chad and more decisions made by Cole.

Deshaun Watson needs to be our Qb.

From what I saw we did have our timing down for those short

Aug 30, 2014, 10:36 PM

Routes and we certainly didn't have the blocking to get the ball down field. This prevented any run game from opening up and hence we got caught in that conservative play calling when one is stuck in that position.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I, Phillip, a small boy of twelve, lay exhausted, not knowing if I was sleeping or if I was daydreaming that I was sleeping. Gently I rocked back in forth in my hammock, a hammock woven out of the eyelashes of 1000 deer.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,321
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic