»
Topic: 14hr Train ride direct from Clemson to Sugar Bowl
Replies: 10   Last Post: Dec 5, 2017 12:26 AM by: Fever®
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 10  

14hr Train ride direct from Clemson to Sugar Bowl

[2]
Posted: Dec 4, 2017 7:19 PM

Train runs daily from Greenville to Metrodome. Goes through Clemson, but not sure how often it stops here. Prices start at $120 each way.

Depart Clemson at 5:40a. Arrive New Orleans at 7:30p right next to stadium. They even have sleeper cars, wifi and showers.

Party for a few hours after the game as it departs Tuesday morning at 7:00a returning you to Clemson at 10:00p that night.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/timetables/Crescent-Schedule-090217.pdf (replace ### in link with d-a-m)

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: 14hr Train ride direct from Clemson to Sugar Bowl

[2]
Posted: Dec 4, 2017 7:39 PM

wait, does tigernet actually censor the word dam

That's insane. They shouldn't even censor the homonym, much less a word describing a barrier to contain water. I guess they don't want people recommending a visit to Hoover Dam.

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 7:43 PM

In 1981, when Clemson played Tulane, a travel agent organized a trip on the train out of Clemson.

My parents went on it and had a blast. A lot of Tiger fans went.

Would think there would be an opportunity for an agent to make some $$$ again this year doing the same type of trip.

Maybe New Year's Eve is a limiting factor and room rates are inflated because of the Bowl game.

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 7:53 PM

I did that as well. Only downside was the 10 miles or so going over the water at the lake east of Nola. Track just a few feet above water and of course no side rails. A bit spooky. A one day trip without staying over one night would be tough but better than driving. Clemson station was closed for the overpass project but I don’t know if it has reopened yet.

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 7:46 PM

I rode that once when I went home for Christmas. Lived about an hour and half from NO. Little town, Laurel, MS. Train stops there. No phones like today. Long, long trip.

[3]
Posted: Dec 4, 2017 9:37 PM

The meter high club

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 9:38 PM

used to take that same train from Clemson to Philly. It goes through Clemson every single night.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Lobotomies for Republicans, it's the law.

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 9:45 PM

I did that and not sure I do it again. Riding 28 hours in a span of 60 hours would be a little too much.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 11:28 PM

My wife and I rode this train in 1981 to the Tulane game. It was a very long 14 hrs. I hope the cars are more comfortable than in 1981. The train swayed a lot and my wife got seasick. Anyway, that was her excuse when we finally got to our hotel. ??

I’m picturing a Greyhound Bus-like environment

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 11:45 PM

complete with dirty seats, homeless people, etc.

2019 white level member

I took the train to Tampa to watch

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 12:26 AM

Clemson play Illinois many moons ago. Had a fantastic time.

Upgrade to business class if available.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Replies: 10  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: South Carolina
FOR SALE: 2 tickets on 50 yard line. section 505 row 39 seats 9 & 10 IPTAY tickets with Clemson fans. $110...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
3238 people have read this post