Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
14 points in the 1st half....... ??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,813

14 points in the 1st half....... ??

Feb 5, 2020, 8:07 PM

How anyone can think Brownell is a good coach is amazing ??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You obviously don't understand basketball.

Feb 5, 2020, 8:12 PM

If he wasn't such a great coach, we'd have only scored SIX points in the half.

It was nearly double the 8 first half points

Feb 5, 2020, 9:30 PM

we scored up there a few years back. #progress

He has very little to do with the results on the court.***

Feb 5, 2020, 8:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Ummm...

Feb 5, 2020, 8:38 PM

If that’s the case, how exactly is he to be measured?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct. He had nothing to do with recruiting...oh wait...***

Feb 5, 2020, 8:49 PM [ in reply to He has very little to do with the results on the court.*** ]

we should be able to save a ton of money in that case.***

Feb 5, 2020, 10:58 PM [ in reply to He has very little to do with the results on the court.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Down by 5 bruh***

Feb 5, 2020, 8:47 PM

Re: 14 points in the 1st half....... ??

Feb 6, 2020, 9:34 AM

So when Virginia held Syracuse to 34 for the game, does that make Jim Boeheim a bad coach too?
How about when they held Arizona State to 45? Does that make Bobby Hurley a bad coach? How about North Carolina scoring 47? Is Roy Williams a bad coach? When Virginia Tech scored 39, what did that say about Mike Young? How about Columbia (42), James Madison (34) and Maine (26)? Bad coaches?

Give Virginia some credit, dude. That's what they do to everyone. They've given up 60+ points five times this year. They've given up exactly 70 once (to a team who shot 55% for the game). They've given up less than 50 points ten times. You have to shoot it really well (either overall percentage or make several threes) and not give up second chance points to beat them. We didn't do that well enough, especially in the first half.

ok - so let's go with your theory - is WF just as good as V?

Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 AM

not that i totally disagree with your post. This is not like the UVA team of the past few years defensively.
my gripe is that if we cannot shoot from outside (which we can't) - then we need to go in the paint. drive, get rebounds, post up, attack. press the entire game - put three bigs in - do something different!!!!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ok - so let's go with your theory - is WF just as good as V?

Feb 6, 2020, 1:37 PM

I think comparing to previous years is where you make a mistake. This Virginia team is JUST LIKE previous Virginia defensive teams. The scheme is still there, and they're still holding teams to incredibly low rates. They're going to be the #1 scoring defense yet again. That's not a coincidence.

What made them special the last two seasons, even when they lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to UMBC, was their ability offensively to put the ball in the basket in a way they hadn't done before under Tony Bennett. They were good offensively AND defensively with Jerome, Guy, Hunter, etc. The defense travels from team to team with them, because they run the Pack Line...a scheme. The offensive ability is where they're drastically different this year, compared to recent years.

As for us, if you watched the game, we attempted to do several different things offensively. Simms doesn't matchup well in the post with Huff. That's just a fact. Look at the number of different awkward shots Huff forced Simms into on the interior last night as evidence. As a counter, we brought Simms away from the basket to allow him to use his face-up game against him. If you bring another big in (which we don't have of quality...that would be Jonathan Baerhe, but he's out for the year), that pushes Huff right back to the middle and makes the problem worse for us. The offense opened up for the dribble-drive once the big man was forced to vacate the middle. Problematic in that new offensive setup is you don't get a lot of offensive rebounding opportunities...so you have to make shots. Anybody who beats Virginia is going to be forced to shoot the three. That's where the Pack Line is weakest...quick ball reversals or skip passes to counter the double in the post. We also pressed at times...however, that's not going to be as effective against Virginia because their focus on offense is to limit your number of offensive possessions by working deep into the shot clock. So the only people you're going to tire by doing that is your own guys, which in turn makes their defense that much more effective and compounds the issue.

But to say the staff didn't try new things and make adjustments is false. Plenty of adjustments on offense and defense were made. We simply didn't hit enough of the open shots we did see to close the deal (Clyde Trapp probably missed the two biggest open shots of the game for us down the stretch, while an 18% 3-point shooter went 4 of 6 on the night from three to break our hearts...often times at the end of a good defensive possession with a hand in his face). Sometimes you just tip your cap and move on. They hit shots. We didn't. That's sport.

Feb 6, 2020, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: 14 points in the 1st half....... ?? ]

Are you the person I should thank for all of the youtube videos? If so, thanks a million.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Feb 6, 2020, 1:37 PM

That would be me.

Feb 6, 2020, 8:20 PM [ in reply to Re: 14 points in the 1st half....... ?? ]

How many games this year have we only scored in the 40s? So naming one situation as defense doesn't hold water with me,. Its been pathetic. I coached BB in HS for eleven years, I know a little bit. This is pathetic.

Feb 6, 2020, 1:46 PM

User Logo
rhettm
110%er [5785]
TigerPulse: 100%
14 points in the 1st half....... ?? [2]
Posted: Feb 5, 2020 8:07 PM

How anyone can think Brownell is a good coach is amazing ??

yep hard to believe brownell missed all them wide open jump shots

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,813
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic