Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In the past I've been critical
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

In the past I've been critical

Dec 14, 2015, 6:32 AM

of our basketball coach and team but not tonight or even this year. I got to watch the game last night and while there are some issues, these guys played hard, with a lot of heart and it showed. We lost but it was a loss you can build on and point to and say, that is the point our season turned around. We are heads and shoulders better than they were last year! Go Basketball Tigers! Proud of these guys and Coach Brownell and his staff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need to play more zone

Dec 14, 2015, 7:14 AM

Our perimeter defense in the backcourt is really, really bad. Brownell much prefers to play man, but we don't have the personnel to play it this year. Zone would also put us into better rebounding position, and maybe we won't give up 22 offensive rebounds going forward.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No excuse

Dec 14, 2015, 7:31 AM

For bad foul shooting from players who practice daily. Nnoyko could have put the game away in the last minute and he wasn't close on either shot.

Disagree, defense is not the problem. Zone puts you in

Dec 14, 2015, 7:58 AM [ in reply to We need to play more zone ]

worse position to box out. We need to be more aggressive on the boards.

We need to learn to throw the ball in properly

Dec 14, 2015, 9:27 AM [ in reply to We need to play more zone ]

Basically, you do a "line out" like in Rugby ... then everybody break in different directions and/or you can even set picks for each other to get an easy toss in ... once we get this right, we won't have this problem anymore ... lots of good things about this team, just a few things that need to be fixed, and they are easy things to fix

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#12 and #35 played hard. Not so

Dec 14, 2015, 7:39 AM

sure about some of the others. We need to play #11 more than #10. Not rebounding cost us the game last night.

Re: #12 and #35 played hard. Not so

Dec 14, 2015, 7:51 AM

Unfortunately, we're having to play Hudson out of postion at small forward, because there's nobody else who can play minutes there behind Grantham and Blossomgame. A 6'1" small forward isn't going to provide much help on the boards. To make it worse, Hudson just may be our best defender at guard, and we're not using him there. Among other reasons, this is why I think we need to play zone, perhaps exclusively.

rebounding

Dec 14, 2015, 8:21 AM [ in reply to #12 and #35 played hard. Not so ]

giving up more than 20 offensive rebounds is deadly...

The stupid inbounds play cost us the game....

Dec 14, 2015, 8:47 AM [ in reply to #12 and #35 played hard. Not so ]

We had the lead and the ball. The last thing we needed was a turnover that Bama easily converted into points.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: In the past I've been critical-Bama sure shut bloss down

Dec 14, 2015, 7:56 AM

which everyone will want to do. we needed to find a way to get him going and we didnt. also grantham is a better player than he is showing. we need to get him going too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree. That was a terrible loss last night. Leading by

Dec 14, 2015, 8:52 AM

one with the ball and you throw it away was devastating. That was a game we should have won and have to win if we are going to be halfway decent and have any shot at the NIT. The three losses have been to teams that we should beat. Alabama just lost their point guard.

Our defense is terrible. We are constantly out of position giving up easy baskets. We don't look like a well coached defensive team. The inbounds play was non-existent. Our rebounding is terrible.

How Brownell let Ajukwa think for a second that Gabe Devoe was going to take his minutes and transfer is beyond me. Ajukwa was an extremely valuable member of this team and I cannot understand how Brownell wasn't more aware of the feelings of his players and let him get away. There aren't that many to keep an eye on. The only reasonably conclusion is that he wasn't paying attention.

Brownell doesn't seem to care about this year. He seems so emotionally detached from this team and seems to be just riding out the contract until we decide to end it.

Maybe next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you know what Brownell and Ajukwa discussed?!?

Dec 14, 2015, 9:32 AM

How do you know he "let" Ajukwa think anything? We don't know how DeVoe played in practice, nor do we know how Ajukwa played. We don't even know what Ajukwa was thinking when he decided to transfer. What we do know is that it really caught Brownell off guard. How you can use this as an opportunity to blame Brownell is beyond me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Read it again. That is the problem. He did not know what

Dec 14, 2015, 9:45 AM

Ajukwa was thinking. He acts as though he had no inkling that Ajukwa was unhappy. With so few players to keep track of and his history of transfers in his program, you would think, between him and his 10 assistants(that's one more coach than we have eligible players), that they would be well aware of what is going on with their players. But, they weren't and here we are.

Interesting that you did not take issue with any of my other points and that is the point you chose to take issue with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for clarifying. I don't disagree with your analysis of the defense.

Dec 14, 2015, 2:56 PM

We really miss Hall and Harrison on the defensive end. They stayed in front of their man well, switched on screens well, and challenged outside shots. Holmes and Roper play hard, but they collectively give up size. Ajukwa would have been a huge help here, as well as in backing up Grantham. I like Donte a lot, but he is not super quick and gets beaten off the dribble more than Ajukwa did.

I do think Brownell cares about this season. He is a really competitive guy. I just think he has learned when to show emotion and when not to - both publicly and behind closed doors.

Not to make excuses, but Brownell has really had some unfortunate breaks at Clemson. The fact that this is his first year with a returning leading scorer is crazy. Injuries, transfers, and coaching staff changes have dealt blows to the continuity of a program that desperately needs continuity. Despite this, I definitely think there have been improvements over his tenure with regard to recruiting. Whether those improvements will be enough remains to be seen. I like Brad a lot and am pulling for him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Disagree. That was a terrible loss last night. Leading by

Dec 14, 2015, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Disagree. That was a terrible loss last night. Leading by ]

Brownell is in a win-win situation. If he loses a ton, we fire him and he gets paid $5 mil to not coach, and can get a job as an assistant somewhere like Shyatt did. Otherwise, he keeps his job and next year will either a. be fired and paid a $3.5 mil buyout or b. get another extension with a crazy buyout.

Beat the coots on Friday, and we'll talk.

Dec 14, 2015, 8:24 PM

Failure to win that game will mean a change is needed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic