Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is your favorite Clemson House memory?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

What is your favorite Clemson House memory?

Nov 16, 2017, 6:50 AM

I got to meet Coach Howard in the Lobby by the elevators. My Dad knew him well and he introduced me to him. Coach Howard asked me what sports I liked.

Quite naturally, I said Football, but I did let him know I was a pretty good golfer at age 12 and wanted to play for the Tigers. He told me that by the time I got to Clemson and if I was good enough, a scholarship might consist of some course books, but nothing else. This was 1961.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No specific memories but I worked as a bell hop

Nov 16, 2017, 7:01 AM

at the Clemson House in the fall of 1969. Important people came and went all the time, but either no one stood out or I was too unsophisticated to know who they were. An upperclassman friend had to show me how to stow a guest's baggage in his room and then stick around for the tip, without which there would have been very little pay. Go Tigers!

10+ years ago my wife and I were invited to spend a couple

Nov 16, 2017, 7:26 AM

of game weekends in the rooftop penthouse. The place was outdated, but really cool, and the views from the roof were awesome, especially at night! I also recall that the elevators were really sloooow so it seemed to take forever to get up there. Got a bunch of fun pics from those trips and they're even more special now that it's going to be gone!

Caught a buzz with a Clemson prof there...

Nov 16, 2017, 7:41 AM

my freshman year. The only time I ever went in that building.

Re: My mother worked as a waitress there in the early 5o's

Nov 16, 2017, 7:51 AM

While my dad finished school. She's gone now but she had many good memories and served many important people during her years there. She would be sad to see it go!

Re: What is your favorite Clemson House memory?

Nov 16, 2017, 7:46 AM

Used to get hair cuts at the barber shop.

Got a shave one time, with the hot towel, etc. Didn't have to shave for a week.

Watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly on the projection TV.

never went inside of it

Nov 16, 2017, 8:07 AM

in 4.5 years of school here. May as well have never existed.

Johnstone was the center of my universe on campus.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: never went inside of it

Nov 16, 2017, 8:18 AM

Early 90's I would go there often to visit friends and attend parties. I was always housed in Johnstone. But I had some fun at 'The House'.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eating Stir fry... (their kitchen made the best) with my

Nov 16, 2017, 8:17 AM

wife of 26 years now...

Nov 16, 2017, 8:32 AM

Snowed the winter of '99, "borrowed" trays from C-House cafeteria and went sledding down the hill in front.

A chick I would visit from time to time.***

Nov 16, 2017, 8:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I lived in the room above the restaurant 1982-83

Nov 16, 2017, 8:53 AM

We would set up chairs on top of the restaurant roof on sunny days and listen to some tunes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: I lived in the room above the restaurant 1982-83

Nov 16, 2017, 11:45 AM

I lived in room 202 above the dining hall from 2003-2005. My brother lived there from 1999-2003. Lots of memories grilling out on the roof of the dining hall. I would love to be able to go get a brick from the place before it's all gone.

I loved strolling over from Lever Hall on Saturday...

Nov 16, 2017, 8:57 AM

...mornings with buds to have breakfast over there. At the time, I thought the French Toast was great.

I was a kid, so what did I know then?

Loved that place. I would hang out there and watch "away" games.

I remember watching the Maryland game over there one year, when Boomer was still the QB and Tice was the TE. I think Clemson won that game.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Nov 16, 2017, 9:03 AM

Mine was the Sunday morning brunch... Ahhhh pretty sure that was the reason why i gained about 40 lbs in college :)

Nov 16, 2017, 9:14 AM

Soph year, 1976-77. GF lived there with 2 other roommates. One night after everyone else went to bed I picked up a book that was lying around... Helter Skelter, the definitive book about the Charles Manson / Tate-LaBianca murders. Read the first page and couldn't put it down... stayed up all night...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Nov 16, 2017, 9:52 AM

Got invited to the Sadie Hawkins dance my freshmen year, and needed a haircut. Heard the Clemson House was cheap, so I strolled over for a $2 haircut. When I got there I noticed all of these ROTC guys getting buzz cuts. I just took a seat and waited for the guy to call me up. He did, and before he even asked me how much I wanted cut, he turned on the buzzer and ran up one side of my head. Naturally I freaked, and he said "you might as well get used to it, if you're going in the service". When I said, I'm not in ROTC, the whole place exploded in laughter. He tried to make it look the best he could and still charged me $2. I wore a hat to the dance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2017, 10:06 AM

We moved to Clemson, second time, in 1953. My grandmother was in 312. We would visit her a lot. Sundays were special because we would eat in dining room on the first floor. I remember a cafe in the basement that we would get treats there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i Have a great memory but it’s not printabale!***

Nov 16, 2017, 10:07 AM

hungover as a ####

Nov 16, 2017, 10:10 AM

i setup a camping chair in the shower in the quad and drank a couple of beers while my roomate did the same in the next stall.

we waltzed in pretty drunk and i was wearing a hat that said, "remember my name you will be screaming it later"

i didn't realize that every blue hair in the greater clemson community had sunday brunch there.

we got some looks.

As an Honors College student (for 1 year)

Nov 16, 2017, 10:11 AM

I had the opportunity to live there my freshman year ('86), but declined because I didn't want to be labeled a geek.

Probably had a lot to do with my failure to meet the requirements to stay in said program. Too many 12:01 parties!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2017, 10:24 AM

My grandfather received the Distinguished Alumnus award back in either 1961 or 1962...can't remember which. My entire family was there and we had our picture taken together. I was only 5 or 6 and I thought the tiger in the reflection pool was about the coolest thing I had ever seen. Little did I know at the time that I would end up there as a student!

Stuffing myself @ The Dining hall on saturday mornings

Nov 16, 2017, 10:26 AM

after a very long friday night, then taking a nap before the game.

Nov 16, 2017, 10:30 AM

Starting a certain website there in 1995

Got my last Clemson parking ticket after my last haircut

Nov 16, 2017, 10:30 AM

at the Clemson House barber shop in the mid 80s.
Still owe the university 25 or 30 dollars. Still
remember Dennis in the barber shop and the ticket
lady that rode around in the golf cart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's several thousand dollars now, with the interest. They

Nov 16, 2017, 12:55 PM

have not forgotten, will be comin' for you soon. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2017, 10:33 AM

Janet

Took the 3 on 3 Clemson House basketball tournament in '99

Nov 16, 2017, 11:05 AM

from out of nowhere. If you were to put all the teams in a line up before the tourney.. you would have never picked us to be the winner. Won about 6/7 games in a bracket format. Beat some teams we had no business beating. It was great

Driving by.

Nov 16, 2017, 11:10 AM

The only houses I visited were the ones I sheetrocked, finished or painted in Clemson. I was in my 30s and had a family and worked so campus was all business for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My one and only Clemson House memory...

Nov 16, 2017, 11:40 AM

is from the late sixties and involves two girls from Atlanta visiting one's sister, a large amount of booze, some illegal substances, and the rest is not for polite company or even this bored.

Nov 16, 2017, 12:08 PM

Gosh. I have many but these two are my favorites.

1. When my wife, two young daughters and I arrived in Clemson in July, 1955, I asked someone where was a good place for breakfast. They suggested the "Tiger Tavern". I told my wife I was not taking my young daughters to a tavern for breakfast. Little did I know at that time the strongest drink served in the "Tiger Tavern" was coffee.

2.In July 1973, the reception for my youngest daughter's wedding was held in the Clemson House.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic