Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alabama or OSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Alabama or OSU

Nov 29, 2017, 10:45 PM

Two questions:

Assuming victories by CU, AU and OU..., If Ohio State beats Wisconsin...,
1. Who should get in the CFP - AL or OSU?
2. Who would you prefer get in and why?

My answer:
1. Alabama - their one loss, on the road, at Auburn, much better than OSU's losses.
2. As much as I don't like AL, I do respect Saban, and hate everything about OSU and their coach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Alabama or OSU

Nov 29, 2017, 10:50 PM

Bama's best wins was against a 3 loss 17th ranked LSU and 20th ranked 4 loss Miss State.
OSU best win against Penn State and undefeated #4 ranked Wisconsin. Plus OSU will be conference champs. Bama does not even make it to conference championship game. OSU gets the nod.

Nov 29, 2017, 10:55 PM

If Fresno St beats Boise again that would be another good W for Bama. I don't think who they beat or loss to matters. Bama is the better team in most eyes.

Nov 30, 2017, 4:47 AM

Of course who you beat or lose to counts. That’s how you determine how good a team is. Otherwise why play the regular season.

Nov 29, 2017, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Alabama or OSU ]

Neither of their wins would have gotten mentioned if either team were not in the secheat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its simple for me STL - Bama has better personnel

Nov 29, 2017, 10:57 PM

Give me OH ST and better yet WISC ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its simple for me STL - Bama has better personnel

Nov 29, 2017, 11:49 PM

Badgers will beat osu by two touchdowns!

How many Wisconsin games have you watched this year?***

Nov 30, 2017, 5:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many Wisconsin games have you watched this year?***

Nov 30, 2017, 5:33 AM [ in reply to Its simple for me STL - Bama has better personnel ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2017, 12:16 AM

1) if OSU wins, they get in over Bama. Most metrics have them pretty even to OSU being slightly behind. The win over undefeated #4 Wisky, the CC, and the bump to the other metrics would move them ahead of Bama.

2) prefer Wisky win and get in @#4. why? Played OSU last year, never played Wisky that I am aware of. I like the idea of beating an undefeated team in the CFP again. I also think Wisky would be an easier matchup for us of the potential options (Bama or OSU) should Wisky lose. That would hopefully allow the backups to play in the fourth quarter resting the starters and preventing any injuries or them being banged up as much for the NC game.

Would the CFP jump Wisky to #3 though?***

Nov 30, 2017, 12:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 30, 2017, 3:39 AM

O310 st.Would have won their division.Yes I'm one of those who think division championships matter more than brand.

But honestly I think Wisconsin beats them.

1. OSU 2. It doesn't matter.

Nov 30, 2017, 5:32 AM

1. Forget Bama and forget two teams from the same conference making the cut. According to what the POC says there isn't much room between the teams in a position to make the cut this year. To me that means the CCGs are playins and those who aren't playing in the CCGs are thereby not included in consideration.

That means that before the CCGs everyone is close but the added win of those who win the CCGs will make the difference.

Exa: Strength of Record (SOR) is composed of who you beat and who beat you. Right now OSU and Bama have SORs which are very close suggesting that Bama may be considered. Bama's SOR will not get noticeibly better or worse because the only factor of their SOR that changes is the AU/UGA game. If AU wins it probably won't change Bama's SOR but if UGA wins Bama's SOR will take a hit because Bama got beaten by a 3 loss AU team.

On the other hand if OSU beats a Wis team ranked near the top OSU's SOR will take a significant bump upward and added to that a conference championship which legitimizes the POC's decision to include OSU in the top four. End of example.

The SOR will become useless after the CCGs for a true SOS will be calculable since the schedule is finished. Did you notice that none of the ESPiN talkers broached that concept when they discussed this particular topic?

2. I don't care because, as everyone here who reads my comments knows, I believe Dabo and our coaching staff have designed most if not all of our game plans to manufacture adversity. I also believe we spend the entire season preparing to play the three games before us, change the experience level of so many from inexperienced to experienced and build hard nosed, hard headed and veteran football players who won't faint at the sight of blood.

Other than that I'd like to be the team that sends Saban into his golden years with an epic aszwhuppin and remove all doubt that Dabo is the best coach in football. Maybe next year.

Nov 30, 2017, 5:42 AM

I think Alabama is the better team. However I think it’s fundamentally unfair for a team to essentially get a first round bye by losing and not getting in their conference championship. Same as last year with Ohio State and Penn State.

I agree.

Nov 30, 2017, 5:45 AM

If last year's POC wasn't embarrassed to have one of their (long shot) selections curbstomped in front of God and the country they should have been. It seemed unfair for PSU to be left out of the POs after beating OSU then winning the B1G conference championship.

Nov 30, 2017, 5:48 AM

The CFP committee looks more are who you beat than who you lost to. Bama doesn’t have a lot of quality wins - only 3-1 in wins against P-5 schools with a winning record. OSU would be 4-2. OSU has wins against higher ranked teams. In effect Bama and UGA are both benefiting from an easy schedule and are getting “moral victory” points for a loss to Auburn. OSU’s Big problem is they laid a major egg against Iowa. If that was a r point loss instead of the debacle it was there would be a bigger appetite to put them in. I don’t actually like either one being in it but would rather play OSU than Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama just ain't what they have been

Nov 30, 2017, 7:14 AM

but they're still much better than the nuts.

Re: Bama just ain't what they have been

Nov 30, 2017, 7:54 AM

The nuts beat bama last time out. Just sayin

In that scenario, OSU should get in. It will be very

Nov 30, 2017, 7:38 AM

interesting, in that scenario for another reason. It would mean the Committee has put not one, but TWO 2 loss teams into the Final 4.

Personally, I think the Committee is sweating bullets about this scenario. They would MUCH prefer that Wisconsin win the BIG. Then, they can leave BAMA out without having to defend the decision at all.

If your scenario happens, and BAMA is left out, the whining, beyotching and moaning will make the reaction to Trump winning look like a calm day at the beach.

Bama will not get in

Nov 30, 2017, 8:02 AM

The CFP will not put 2 teams from the same conference in the playoffs. There are 5 conferences and 4 spots. The teams that play in the conference playoffs will have an extra game to put them over Bama.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not Wisconsin

Nov 30, 2017, 8:07 AM

even if they lose?

They at least won their division, have about the same schedule strength or lack there of as Alabama and Wisconsin's only loss was to a highly ranked OSU.

The committee put OSU in last year and they didn't even play in a championship game last year or win their division..

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 30, 2017, 8:32 AM

If Ohio State wins, it will be ALABAMA. In spite of what the Committee says, they do look at ratings for their games. Another Clemson-Alabama game, after the incredibly great last two Championships, is too much of an attention-grabber to pass up, even as a semi.

Nov 30, 2017, 9:31 AM

Not a chance walrus. I know it’s hard to believe being drunk on orange koolaid, but no one wants to see that game again. If I’m not mistaken, the highest ratings for the CFP so far have been for Ohio State games. Ohio State checks every single box in this debate over Alabama except one, and that is an ugly loss at Iowa.

Surely if the committee can overlook bama’s Pathetic sos, they can overlook the glaring loss and compare what these teams HAVE done on the field. I don’t see any way bama overcomes the lopsided sos, sor, and conference championship anchor.

I think the committee

Nov 30, 2017, 10:14 AM

has already told us who will be in. Bama is at 5 and OhSt is 8th. If the Bama wins they are in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right...Oregon had nothing to do with it.

Dec 1, 2017, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Alabama or OSU ]

The only West Coast team to ever make it in the CFP did nothing to pull in viewers from the West Coast. Yeah right! I agree that Bama's SOS has had the usual fluffing on ESPN, but their only loss is to the current No. 2, the 31 point Iowa loss looks bad especially after Iowa's loss to Purdue. I;m afraid that you have a situation here of two conferences, SEC and Big 10, that were over-rated prior to the season and a one loss Alabama will trump a 2 loss Ohio State. Hopefully Wisconsin will win and eliminate this headache.

Nov 30, 2017, 10:38 AM

If your scenario plays out, how does the committee award Auburn (a 2 loss, conference champion) into the playoff, but exclude Ohio State who would have the exact same credentials? Sorry, but Bama ain't getting in unless TCU pulls the upset of the day over Oklahoma.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic