Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best basketball coaches at football first schools
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Best basketball coaches at football first schools

Jan 14, 2014, 6:33 AM

I saw this article on Thad Motta - it was talking about how their basketball team had a key game that was overshadowed by the Orange Bowl.

Which makes Matta both the absolute right man for the Ohio State job and an anomaly among his peers.

On Tuesday night, the No. 2 and undefeated Buckeyes meet No. 5 and one-loss Michigan State in an early test of Big Ten supremacy.

On Friday night, the No. 7 and one-loss football Buckeyes faced No. 12 and two-loss Clemson in an otherwise meaningless Orange Bowl.

Thad Matta
Jamie Sabau/Getty ImagesThad Matta has Ohio State 15-0 and ready for a showdown with Michigan State on Tuesday.

Guess which one people cared about more?

"Football is front and center, strong and heavy," athletic director Gene Smith said. "You don't want to battle that by having a persona that is bigger than that. That's just reality. You don't try and fight it. You embrace it."

Which Matta does, happily and contentedly from behind the scenes. He is not interested in beating Urban Meyer in a popularity contest. He is interested in beating Tom Izzo in the Big Ten and everyone else for a national title.

It is not that he knows his place.

It is that he knows this place.

On many a campus, basketball coaches bristle at the notion that they are working at a football school, the tag somehow implying their programs are second-class citizens. (No doubt, in some places they are.)

Matta could not care less about what others think about Ohio State. He knows the reality. The hoops Buckeyes might be second fiddle during football season, but they are not second-class.

Matta flies on a private plane, just like Meyer does. The team charters. The assistants are compensated well. There is a freshly renovated practice facility for the basketball team and, per Matta's request, the Schottenstein Center has been reconfigured. The deep-pocketed season-ticket holders were relocated three years ago from their courtside seats to make way for the students and give an otherwise bland entertainment center a basketball arena feel.

"We treat our players well," Matta said. "The environment we create, they're taken care of. That's what I care about. I care about our guys. It's not about me."

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/matta140106/ohio-state-thad-matta-quietly-goes-business

It got me thinking.
1)Who are the best coaches at football first schools? Motta has to be at the top.
2) When will a basketball coach at Clemson have enough sway to get the seating reconfigured?

It's an art, I think, to successfully recruit at Clemson - we're a school that loves sports vs. an IU where basketball is all there is. But if there's a template for success, it's Motta and Ohio State.

Who else faces this, and who has lasting success in both sports? Who has success with their current coach? What else can a school like Clemson do to make sure our brand is that students will camp out for both football and basketball (which they have), etc.

ACC - FSU, Clemson, VT
SEC - AL, AU, GA, UF, TN, LSU, MS, MSU, Texas A&M, SC
B1G - OSU, PSU, Nebraska, Michigan
Big12 -(8, whatever are they called now) - Texas, OK
Pac10 - USC, Oregon
Ind - Notre Dame

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got to put Billy Donovan for Florida too...

Jan 14, 2014, 7:00 AM

Won two straight NCs , and now has gone to 5 elite 8s. Their AD puts a lot money into program. Texas used to be there also under Barnes but the program has slipped a bit. It can be done and I think under DRad you will see that becoming one of his goals under Brownell...

Barnes is probably the anti-Matta

Jan 14, 2014, 8:24 AM

Maybe it was that Tommy West had no personality, but it sure felt like Barnes was trying to make basketball bigger than football at Clemson. He and Brown got to Texas at the same time and Barnes had more early success than Brown. But football quickly blasted by basketball.

Re: Best basketball coaches at football first schools

Jan 14, 2014, 7:18 AM

To answer no. 2, it looks like Brownell will be getting a new arena. Take a look at the renderings. They don't talk about it specifically, but it appears that they plan to put students courtside three-quarters of the way around. Notice how it is designed so the people in those seats can stand without obstructing the next level behind them.

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=658250&SPID=103723&ATCLID=209288501&DB_OEM_ID=28500

Thanks

Jan 14, 2014, 11:47 AM

that was interesting.

point

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I sit in a court side seat in Littlejohn, because

Jan 14, 2014, 8:14 AM

Brownell said he wanted those seats there. He has the clout to make the right decisions. But, it is like Coach K said in his post game conference. If Clemson wants big time BB, they should the orange pom poms on the seats and show up with that energy every game. He is right.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is there a comparison of best bball years at fb schools

Jan 14, 2014, 8:29 AM

to see if there is a correlation to the best football years. Just thinking off hand, some of Ohio States best basketball years have also been when their football team was really good.

Florida, didn't they win the NC in both football and basketball in the same year?

Texas seemed to have their best basketball years around the same time as football won their NC.

Shoot, even Clemson. Our best basketball run in the tournament was around the same time as our football.

A basketball coach should embrace the football program and ride those coattails.

Ranking the coaches from that list, I'd go

Jan 14, 2014, 8:50 AM

1) Donavan, UF; 2)Motta, OSU; 3)Belien, UM; 4) Brey, ND; 5) Kruger, OU; 6) Hamilton, FSU; OU; 8) Barnes, UT; 9)Altman, OR; 10) Brownell, CU; 148) Martin, Cluckers ;)

7) Montgomery, Stanford(not on list)***

Jan 14, 2014, 8:53 AM

The big ten schools are interesting

Jan 14, 2014, 12:00 PM

Only 3 schools are obviously bigger football(OSU,PSU,Nebraska) Michigan too but they have rich basketball tradition as well.
Wisconsin is bigger foitball but basketball is very close. Iowa is probably a toss up, maybe flight footbsll edge. Minnesota slight basketball edge.
Indiana Purdue and Illinois are major basketball leans especially with the state of their football programs right now.

Clemson is bigger football

Jan 14, 2014, 12:04 PM

But I think we have basketball on the radar more than the other southern football schools. This board talks way more basketball for instance than FGF or some other SEC team boards I've looked at. Littlejohn does get wild at times and it's on the radar here.

Duke ;-)***

Jan 15, 2014, 2:08 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1. Matta 2. Billy Donovan (Fla.) 3. John Beilein (Michigan)

Jan 15, 2014, 2:57 PM

4. Mike Brey (Notre Dame)
5. Dana Altman (Oregon)

Forgot Leonard Hamilton. He would be on that list as well.***

Jan 15, 2014, 2:59 PM

Mad props to whats his name at U of Wisconsin***

Jan 15, 2014, 3:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic