Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I made the switch from cable to internet tv, and need help
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

I made the switch from cable to internet tv, and need help

Oct 4, 2017, 4:35 PM

Thanks to the advice from people on this board, I made the switch. I love watching football, and have two TV's side by side in my newly renovated man cave. The idea, of course, is for me and my friend to be able to have more than one game on at a time. Here's where I could use some continued help. For one, I use sling. I got the sling orange + blue. But, you can only watch ESPN on one device at a time. So, I got a friend's log-in info and signed in using the Watch ESPN App. That worked for exactly a week until they had an update for the App. Now it doesn't work. So, now I have two Sling accounts. It's paid per month, so I guess I'm OK with that for two or three months. But, it still acts up and freezes. Does anyone else have these problems or any work arounds?

Also, I've never really been a Pro fan. But, I've really been enjoying following the Texans. Is there a way to watch NFL on an Amazon Fire TV or Roku for free?

Any help would be awesome.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I made the switch from cable to internet tv, and need help

Oct 4, 2017, 4:38 PM

Not sure about the NFL games, but wrt the freezing issue, you probably need a higher speed internet service.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get it

Oct 4, 2017, 4:41 PM

It's only with Sling. It doesn't do it with Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Sling is streaming live...

Oct 4, 2017, 4:43 PM

the others are not

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't get it

Oct 4, 2017, 4:44 PM [ in reply to I don't get it ]

Your ISP probably has a Netflix/Amazon/Youtube server on site. That helps keep bandwidth in house sort to speak. Sling doesn't do that. Therefor....bandwidth issues if you have freezing etc.

Re: I don't get it

Oct 4, 2017, 4:57 PM

What tbone said.

Alot of online services use the amazon network because its so robust but sling is a DishTv owned product and doesnt use amazon. One because they're a direct competitor.

As for your login issue, sling gives you 1 tv login at a time, but can't you use the watchespn app at the same time? Most other providers are that way. Try using sling and watchespn with your sling login at the same time.

No, the Watch ESPN app

Oct 4, 2017, 5:01 PM

will not stream at the same time as a sling stream. I tried this when I had sling some time back and it gives one device an error message that there are too many streams on the account. That is why I now have PSvue but will be changing that to Directvnow soon.

after you make sure it's plugged in....

Oct 4, 2017, 4:40 PM

NFL Sunday Ticket Streaming Service

For this week... NBC Sports App

Oct 4, 2017, 4:58 PM

I make no claims or warranties that the below will work, but...
Couple of things to try:

1. Check your internet speed, if you are trying to stream several devices at the same time you are probably consuming a large amount of (bandwidth) download speed. See if you can run both individually (without the other on). If both run individually with no issues, it is probably an internet speed issue. If one runs and the other does not, at least this will help you narrow down which one may be causing the issue.

2. shut down the device and have it reboot (then check and see if this helps)

3. uninstall, then re-install the app.

As far as your question about the NFL, really the only free way to watch games (legally) is through NBC, CBS or FOX through an antenna.

Oct 4, 2017, 5:33 PM

And now Amazon Prime for Thur night games

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2017, 5:02 PM

A friend of mine was looking at cutting the cable a month ago and so I looked into Sling TV for him. According to Sling TV's website, Sling TV requires a 5Mbps or higher download speed for 1 stream of video to a TV. If you want to run 2 streams at once (i.e. 2 TV's the same time) they recommend a 25Mbps or higher data rate. How do you get your Internet service? How are you connecting to the Sling service - via WiFi?

I stream all my HD Video (including live TV) in my house but do it via LAN cabling on a dedicated Gigabit Ethernet network - not WiFi. My experience is that WiFi (even the new 802.11 AC) works fine for standard definition but tends to choke quite a bit when streaming HD - particularly live TV and when doing simultaneous multiple streams. I've never had any amount of HD streaming choke while transmitting over a 1Gbps wired network...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2017, 5:16 PM

I have Charter internet. It's the fastest they offer in my area 25 MB, I think. I live over by Furman.
But, I have to use Wifi with the Firestick and Roku.

Oct 4, 2017, 5:06 PM

I tried the free preview if SlingTV and it constantly buffered. It was the Sling App, not my net speed. I then tried Playstation Vue. It was much better. I believe it runs off a slight delay to cover buffer issues. PlayStation VUE is also on the list of providers for the Watch ESPN and Fox Go Apps. The only thing I am lacking is my local stations. I am not paying $5 per network for their apps (CBS offers but not sure the others do). I am looking into get a quality digital antenna if anyone has one to recommend. I tried the ones at Best Buy but could not get ABC out of Asheville, NC (I live in Mauldin, SC. Basically, 74 miles apart).

I'm wanting to try an antenna, also.

Oct 4, 2017, 5:18 PM

If you find a good one, let me know. I should be able to get stuff out of Asheville being up in TR.

Re: I'm wanting to try an antenna, also.

Oct 4, 2017, 5:22 PM

Will do.

That far away, and you will likely have to...

Oct 4, 2017, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I made the switch from cable to internet tv, and need help ]

use a directionally aimed antenna. I have this one, and it will rotate using the power over the COAX, so easy physical setup. But, you'll have to manually program the channels into your TV when you want to adjust from local to Asheville and move. Fortunately, I did not have to do that as all major networks exist in Columbia (I live in Lexington), but I noticed I could easily pick up Augusta channels when aimed in that direction.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NQMCDK/ref=s9_acsd_zwish_hd_bw_biuv_c_x_3_w/131-4250843-7810703?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_r=3D3WX7PH47NJHDCJQHQ2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=6404c6b4-fb66-5329-9036-ec0ec7a117ed&pf_rd_i=172665

Oct 4, 2017, 5:07 PM

If you have multiple TV's you could get Chromecast for one of the other ones. This allows you to stream from your phone to the TV, so what you would normally see on your phone is on the TV instead.

With this your friends could also stream things directly to that TV as well, if one of you were watching another game that has something exciting coming up, etc.

The downfall is this will still use internet so could have freezing if you already are.

1-800-DIRECTV***

Oct 4, 2017, 5:08 PM

I occasionally have problems with my watch espn App on roku

Oct 4, 2017, 5:15 PM

as well.

It will say i'm logged in but then give me an error message. ESPN says its a charter problem and charter says it an ESPN problem.

But this works to fix it and Im not sure why

1. Log out of watchespn

2. use your smartphone to broadcast a wifi signal. Be sure that you are receiving data to the phone via cell towers and not rebroadcasting the home wifi.

3. connect your roku to the phone wifi hotspot as data source.

4. log back in to watchespn with password. When logging it it should redirect you to log in to your cable company website. if not then it will not work even if it says you are logged in. You may need your friend to do this again if you are still using his account and don't have his passwords.

5. stream of couple of minutes of any live tv show to be sure it works

6. Change the data source on your roku from the hotspot to home wifi.

7. enjoy

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: I occasionally have problems with my watch espn App on roku

Oct 4, 2017, 5:21 PM

I would try that, but I can't broadcast a wifi hotspot from my phone. I do have my friend's login info, though. I guess he considers me trustworthy.

Oct 4, 2017, 5:25 PM

hmmm.... if you have anyone who could do that it might be worth a try. its needs to think its coming from a different address for some reason.

a neighbors wifi would have the same effect

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Oct 4, 2017, 5:26 PM

I can call my friend and have him do it from his house.

Oct 4, 2017, 5:39 PM

needs to be your device though.

I use PS Vue and have a 20Meg connection..

Oct 4, 2017, 5:19 PM

I don't have the freezing issues that you describe that may likely be attributed to the BB speed as others have mentioned.

PS Vue gives you ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN News along with Fox SS and NFL Network. You need at least one (and max allowed of two) TV box (PS device, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, etc.) and then you can also stream to 3 other mobile devices - and if you have a Chromecast display, push to it from any of your mobile PS Vue app devices.

My only complaint about PS Vue is that for live streaming, you are tied to your home network and I often have to reset the location at first to get working on my mobile device app. Otherwise, I found this package to be the most affordable and have the best line-up for sports and other content I care to watch.

So, can you use PSVue with a Firestick or Roku?

Oct 4, 2017, 5:22 PM

You don't have to have a PlayStation?

Re: So, can you use PSVue with a Firestick or Roku?

Oct 4, 2017, 5:28 PM

No. The app is downloadable on your Firetv or Roku (probably the Google one, too, I have FireTV) but is also avaible on a PlayStation, as you mentioned. It was set up for the PlayStation intially and why it is listed under that versus SONY.

Correct...

Oct 4, 2017, 5:30 PM [ in reply to So, can you use PSVue with a Firestick or Roku? ]

IF you do decide to buy a PS4 device, it actually supports PIP over the PS Vue feed. But you can see all the other supported devices here at the link below:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/supported-devices-and-set-up/#supported-devices

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic