Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Most memorable moment in Death Valley?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Most memorable moment in Death Valley?

Feb 26, 2013, 1:55 PM

I was a Freshman in 81 and got to see all those home games on the way to the National Championship... was there for the Brawl as we ended Holtz's career. Watched us shut down Herschel Walker and George Rogers. Was there when Aaron Kelly dropped the go ahead TD pass against BC that would have won the ACC. There to see Deion pull the puntrooskie and break 80,000+ hearts, along with watching the great Clemson-Georgia battles of the 80's come down to last play kicks, and WAY too many more great days/plays/players/coaches to mention. My best memories though are that I was there on every home game Saturday afternoon as a kid sliding down the hill, rushing the field after the game win or lose gathering sweat bands and high fives from my heroes and learning what it means to fall in love with the Clemson family. What about yours?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ball hog***

Feb 26, 2013, 1:57 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*l* I have all of those same memories, even the wrist bands***

Feb 26, 2013, 2:37 PM

Mine

Feb 26, 2013, 1:59 PM

Most memorable overall - Puntrooskie

Most memorable good - 82-24 over WFU

Re: Mine

Feb 26, 2013, 2:04 PM

I left a LOT of good ones out there... Spiller wasn't even mentioned, what about that move he made on about 6 GT players on that sideline run??? Or Gardners catch to beat the coots? Terry Kinard, The Fridge, The Judge.... the hit on Mattie Ryan when his helmet went airborne (much better hit than Clowney's hit in my opinion)... I def wasn't trying to ball hog all the good ones! We are lucky that there are a TON to chose from.

Just busting your chops

Feb 26, 2013, 7:03 PM

You phrased the question as MOST memorable. There can only be one MOST memorable.

Re: Most memorable moment in Death Valley?

Feb 26, 2013, 2:05 PM

Most memorable overall: The crowd noise at the 05 Miami game.

Most memorable good: Tie between 03 FSU, 06 GT, 08 USuCk, 09 FSU (The We Will Rock You was perfect, just perfect), and 2011 FSU.

Man...that's a lot of FSU.

I agree with crowd noise in the 05 Miami.

Feb 26, 2013, 2:14 PM

Absolute loudest thing i've ever endured in my life. I have been to many many football games and there isn't any other game that was that loud. I have a hard to explaining that game to people. I almost got sick to my stomach it was so loud and my head felt like it was going to implode. I kept yelling though... D@mn Shame we lost that game... Just a Got D@mn Shame.

05 Miami Noise.

Feb 26, 2013, 3:01 PM

Been going since '72... That was the loudest sustained noise Ever....Several Loud eruptions. 1. Safety Against Georgia in West Endzone. 2. Treadwell kick vs. Georgia 3. Numerous Critical 3rd down situations...before our D started routinely giving those Up.

Feb 26, 2013, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Most memorable moment in Death Valley? ]

The Notre Dame game in 1977? As the Irish came into Death Valley it was deathly quiet. Once the cannon sounded and the Tigers started down the hill, the place erupted. I still get chills thinking about it!

My memorable moment(s) in Death Valley...

3. When Dr. Butler told our drum section, "Ashley High, take us off the field..." at the end of Band Day rehearsal in Sept 1966. Hot as H**l that day. BTW, we beat UVa 40-35 with 22 in the 4th quarter.

2. Doing "To Hell and Back" PR drill routine at pregame Homecoming 1968 in front of 40K people. Still amazing that 41 people could be spread out sideline to sideline and between the 30's and all move as one.

1. Taking my Dad out into the center of DV one Friday afternoon two years before he died. He just stood on the 50 and looked it all over. Gosh, he LOVED Clemson.

That '66 UVA game was the Ist that came to my mind.***

Feb 26, 2013, 5:29 PM

Tough to put them in order, but a few that come to mind...

Feb 26, 2013, 6:15 PM

Bowden Bowl I, 1999. I will NEVER understand why we didn't go for the first down instead of kicking a field goal. We didn't have a kicker anywhere capable of making that kick. We needed just 2 yards to keep the drive going.

Miami, 2005. We needed the ball back and I've never heard DV louder. A lot of people said that game had "sustained" noise, but I don't feel that most of the game was any louder than, say, a big game vs. FSU or the #####. But when we needed the ball back late in the 4th, the place was so loud that it became just a high-pitched, ear-splitting ring. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced. I thought my head was going to crack open.

Virginia, 1999. TB's first win in DV. I really thought when we hired him, he was going to take us to the promised land. I think Virginia was ranked going into that game, too.

Georgia Tech, 2006. What a day that was. I don't care what anybody says, GAMEDAY made Clemson the center of the college football world that day and it was awesome. A perfect day, start to finish, in Tigertown.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Considering the fact that UVA scored all 35 of their

Feb 26, 2013, 7:07 PM [ in reply to That '66 UVA game was the Ist that came to my mind.*** ]

points in the first half, that was an unbelievable comeback on the arm of the "Needle". Never forget that game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1981 against Georgia***

Re: 1981 against Georgia***

Feb 27, 2013, 9:39 AM

That was my first game ever, when I was a freshman. Followed that team all the way to Miami, and still going!

Hershel, The Fridge - classic.

re: most memorable moments in Death Valley. ..

Feb 26, 2013, 2:24 PM

I will never forget being at the Miami game in 05 with my uncle and the crowd noise! Also, in 2009 playing fsu when the crowd screamed we will rock you at the top of our lungs and McDaniel intercepting Christian ponders pass, points at Christian and lays the wood as he's returning it. (Just being there gave me chills) those are just a few things i'll never forget. I absolutely love clemson and our Clemson family! Go tigers!

1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4 C-L-E-M-S-O-N T-I-G-E-R-S fight tigers fight tigers fight fight fight!! Goo Tigers!

2009 FSU for me

Feb 26, 2013, 2:30 PM

I was a senior in HS at the time and it was my first night game in Death Valley and played a pretty big factor in my college decision.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 26, 2013, 2:32 PM

For me it's the entire day of 10/21/2006

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2013, 2:46 PM

Defintely puntrooskie for me. Wasn't that Leroy Butler running the fake?

It was Leroy...

Feb 26, 2013, 3:08 PM

All Deion did that day was that nasty little 76 yard punt return for a TD... UGH still breaks my heart.

Re: It was Leroy...

Feb 26, 2013, 10:18 PM

yea i caught that and remember it as well....leroy butler....the butler did it. was a sick feeling

Wearing the orange pants for the 1st time

Feb 26, 2013, 2:49 PM

Beating the coots that were on their way to the Gator. while our team was struggling, but the Orange pants pulled it out.

Go Tigers!

Deion didn't run the puntrooskie. It was Butler.

Feb 26, 2013, 2:56 PM

Tiger/Terrier

coming down The Hill in Orange Pants in 1980

Feb 26, 2013, 3:04 PM

Entire crowd just went crazy.

The tie vs UGA was also very memorable - game ended on 2 back-to-back FG attempts. Crowd was drained - everyone walked out silently, nobody happy, but nobody really angry either. As strange a sight as I have ever seen.

Last one was the opening kickoff vs SCAR in '05 - after they foolishly met us at the bottom of The Hill. That sure didn't end well for Lou's retirement party.

FSU '03

Feb 26, 2013, 3:09 PM

My first football season as a student.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

TAKING DOWN THE GOAL POST FOR THE LAST TIME!

Feb 26, 2013, 3:16 PM

I was on the very top when it fell and their is a picture of it in the paper.

That is my most memorable moment!

It was the last time before they put up the folding posts! We tried to go downtown with it but they blocked us, so we went to the reflection pond. Still no idea why we went to the reflection pond.

Either way, I still have a piece of that goal post.

Samesies...

Feb 26, 2013, 3:17 PM

I was up on the East End Zone post after the '03 FSU game and we took it to the reflection pond and cut it up and I still have a piece as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Samesies...

Feb 27, 2013, 12:26 AM

Ran out of pieces right before I'd have gotten my piece from the reflecting pond piece. :(

Sam Van Gieson

Feb 26, 2013, 3:19 PM

I took my 5 year old nephew (poor kid, both his parents are USuCks fans)onto the field after one of his first home games and just by chance, Sam Van Gieson was still on the field, he stopped and spoke to my nephew and let him hold his helmet while I took a picture. In that moment, he became a solid orange Clemson fan for life. That was hands down my best memory in Death Valley.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: J Davis' 1st game

Feb 26, 2013, 3:21 PM

25-24 victory over TAMU, 1 Spec Teams TD (C Stuky punt return) and 6 Jad Dean fg's including a walk off fg.

Re: Tearing down the goal post against FSU

Feb 26, 2013, 3:24 PM

most scary moment in DV for me

Some you you gents recall far far too much bad stuff.***

Feb 26, 2013, 3:27 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The Catch II" - Rod Gardner

Feb 26, 2013, 3:28 PM

and Woody Dantzler snatched victory from the jaws of defeat!

Most memorable moment #1: my freshman year when the

Feb 26, 2013, 3:29 PM

Tiger was crowd surfing in the student section, made his way all the way up to me & my friends, there were 3 empty rows behind us, and we dropped him since there was no one else to help us catch him!!

Most memorable moment #2: sneaking around at one of the first Ladies clinics when they were building the WEZ and taking photos on my then oh so cool camera flip phone and then reporting & posting them on Tnet. ie, how I became Head Agent of TNET Recon Ops :D

Most memorable football moment: The Catch II. My last game as a student. Camped out for those great tickets. On row C in the student section, with Gardner catching the ball directly in front of where were sitting. AWESOME.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Woody to Rod Gardner...

Feb 26, 2013, 3:32 PM

It was the COLDEST night ever in the Valley... My uncle had already left his seat and was in the concourse. My father and I stayed and witnessed "The Catch II." I was 15 years old... will NEVER forget that moment. We went nuts!!

A not-so-close second was the "We will rock you!" FSU game***

Feb 26, 2013, 3:35 PM

Feb 26, 2013, 3:34 PM

Seeing that Maryland guy in the early 1980's drop that pass in the enzone in the rain, but it was called a touchdown with seconds left just for a kickoff return. I sat on behind the Maryland sideline, 8 rows up, around the 30 yardline.

When Florida St. had Warrick Dunn that was the loudest I ever heard Death Valley. I couldn't even hear myself screaming and yelling.

My most memorable moment...

Feb 26, 2013, 3:38 PM

was the 2003 home game against Duke. This was the day my dad took me to my first Clemson football game. After years of listening on the radio and watching on TV I got to see my Tigers play in person for the first time. I remember asking him how to do all of the cheers and chants. It was game over after that because I was hooked. He had to start buying season tickets. :) This may be a more personal experience, but a memorable nonetheless. I am now a Junior at Clemson, and I am dreading the day I have to leave.

Seeing ALL ORANGE unis in '80 at top of HILL..and Rogers,

Feb 26, 2013, 4:54 PM

George that is, looking up at the noise and the TiGER Team...and maybe realizing he wasn't going to cross that Clemson end zone afterall has he had hoped. I was the first in my near section to notice the uniform change from the practice ones...and I screamed out.."My G*d, they're in ALL ORANGE"!

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Underwood's 2nd pick***

Feb 26, 2013, 5:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Underwood's 2nd pick***

Feb 26, 2013, 11:18 PM

this was the first game that came to my mind...what a great day that was..!!

All home games in 1948. Started with a

Feb 26, 2013, 7:56 PM

53-0 win over P C. Also beat Miss. St. that year in a game that I think Jerry Clower played in. Tigers went undefeated that year. My dad took his ten year old son to all the home games then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NOT FB, but cool thing in the stadium

Feb 26, 2013, 9:07 PM

In '83 I believe, I was in the Architecture program & we took a tour of the new North Upper Deck while under construction. We are on the front row & some guy makes a paper airplane and sends it on its way. It must of caught a thermal draft or something, but it flew all the way across the field and landed about 10 rows up on the South lower deck. You would have thought it was Apollo 20 something the way we all went nuts...not football, but kinda cool.

wow....that's a long way for a paper plane to fly***

Feb 27, 2013, 8:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2013, 10:31 PM

Watching Catman's kick as it sailed through the upright to seal our bid to play for the ACC Championship!

Going with my daughter on parent's day.

Feb 26, 2013, 11:01 PM

Though I had a few good times while at Clemson I had a family and unless my Saturday work was close to campus I'd have to miss the football games.

The kids were worth it though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beating defending Nat. Champ UGA in 1981

Feb 27, 2013, 12:05 AM

...on our way to the national championship.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Feb 27, 2013, 1:09 AM

Seeing a young Head Coach take the field in 1979, and wondering if he'd ever be successful as Clemson's coach!Sounds familiar, doesn't it? DABO, DABO, DABO!!!!

87 vs UGA. 2004 USC Brawl Game.***

Feb 27, 2013, 8:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My top moments.....

Feb 27, 2013, 8:43 AM

1. Oct 1979....sat in the south upper deck for the first time with my dad....usually the entire family went to the games but this game it was just me and him....great day even though we lost 16-13 to NC State.
2. Nov 1980....sat in the rain on the hill and watched us beat SC 27-6.
3. Woody to Rod Gardner...sat on the hill with my wife and walked across the field with the snow coming down after the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "Silent Out" at the '77 Notre Dame game. Epic.***

Feb 27, 2013, 10:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2000 Clemson vs Scar

Feb 27, 2013, 12:34 PM

I was 10 years old at the time. That season, my dad and I met a Clemson football player who was working at The Athletes Foot in Anderson, SC. His name was Torri White, and he was one of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. He gave my dad and I tickets to every Clemson game, we even went to Tallahassee to watch Chris Weinke and Peter Warrick blow up the scoreboard. But anyway, my best Death Valley moment was watching Rod Gardner haul in the 49 yard bomb from Woody and then Aaron Hunt kicked the game winner. We were sitting in the old West end zone and just high enough where we could see the whole thing perfectly. That entire season was amazing for me getting to know a Clemson football player

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic