Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does someone want to reorganize my e-mail for me?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Does someone want to reorganize my e-mail for me?

Apr 21, 2020, 10:38 AM

For the longest time I've put my e-mail in folders under the Jobs folder, they're named [project number]: [client] - [project name]

This was nice until I had 50+ project folders and scrolling became annoying, so I broke it up into offices that the project is PM'd from. Now there's too many, scrolling up and down trying to find the right folder of an older project because it's sorted by the project number that I never remember SUCKS.

So now I'm faced with a new task, reorganization...

Any tips? I'm going to screw up all of my archived e-mail because it won't match the new structure right?

Which one of you just has 50,000 e-mails in their inbox and doesn't organize anything?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Does someone want to reorganize my e-mail for me?

Apr 21, 2020, 10:39 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*raises hand*

Apr 21, 2020, 10:41 AM

50,000 unorganized emails, checking in!

#metoo

Apr 21, 2020, 10:45 AM

I just search by email address when I need something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Apr 21, 2020, 10:47 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I complete a project (usually no more than 3 months)

Apr 21, 2020, 10:48 AM

I select all e-mails from that project and print to pdf, save on shared drive under proj folder.

Then I don't really care what is in my e-mail for that project and it is deleted by my company after 1 year.

Email was never meant as a project folder.

Apr 21, 2020, 10:48 AM

The problem is you, and everyone who uses email, is a hoarder.

Keep the important stuff in an offline folder, delete the rest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very much a digital hoarder, guilty as charged.

Apr 21, 2020, 11:22 AM

I have copies of every harddrive I've ever owned. Also follow /r/datahoarder

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in charge of our on-prem Exchange to 0365 conversion

Apr 21, 2020, 12:07 PM

When explaining to customers they would have 1 TB mailboxes, I had people telling me they wanted to import their 25GB .pst files...we stopped allowing .pst files by a GPO in 2010 (O365 conversion was in 2014). I also had a couple folks ask me if I could ALSO import their Lotus Notes email. We hadn't had Lotus Notes since the mid 90's.

And our email system now deletes every email over 90 days

Apr 21, 2020, 12:10 PM

old unless its manually moved to a long term storage folder. They were supposed to be for 15 plus years of storage, but found out later they really delete after about a year.

I just let the system delete all my emails. Keeps my inbox at a pretty constant size.

Have you been happy with the move?....

Apr 21, 2020, 1:03 PM [ in reply to I was in charge of our on-prem Exchange to 0365 conversion ]

I sure have been. We did it shortly after it became an option and have never looked back. One of the best IT decisions I've ever made I think.

Yeah, cost wise it was a kick in the ###

Apr 21, 2020, 1:29 PM

because now its opex. Before I could just budget for storage growth every year and have one of my sysadmins deal with any operating issues that came up.

We migrated about 2500 people the first time and that was kind of a PIA because regardless what I told them, some of the VP's "never had time" to do the conversion. Eventually, we just turned off the exchange server and heard a lot of crap about that.

We've since been bought by Megacorp so thats all Babu's problem in India now.

Currently I have 90,899 emails and none are organized.***

Apr 21, 2020, 10:51 AM

Buy a bigger monitor and set resolution to

Apr 21, 2020, 10:53 AM

3840x2160

Fixed ;)

I have every email sent, or received, since 2001 (minus spam) saved in exactly 17 folders (including the standard Outlook folders). My data file is just north of 16GB ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I've had a 4K monitor since 2014 timeframe.***

Apr 21, 2020, 11:25 AM

Why do you have every email since 2001?

Apr 21, 2020, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Buy a bigger monitor and set resolution to ]

Once day, you'll get subpoena'd for discovery....

That's fine, subpoena away

Apr 21, 2020, 12:26 PM

Nothing I'd be subpoenaed on that would require all my emails. I get subpoenas on work cases all the time. I pull the emails related to that case, send them, and done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats the thing about subpeona's..its normally by date

Apr 21, 2020, 1:31 PM

not subject

My "file" gets subpoenaed. That's the manila folder

Apr 21, 2020, 3:03 PM

billing sheet, notes, emails (they're printed anyway), statements, and other documents. It's all in the file. I don't even have to go into my email to respond to subpoenas usually, unless there's an email I didn't print because it wasn't important. But I've done that a few times, just to have every single thing.

And most subpoenas are from lawyers pursuing a civil case, and have no clue how useless the stuff in my file actually IS. I make them pay dearly too for the copies though, especially if it's old and I have to pull it from storage.

Ok man, you have the answers.

Apr 21, 2020, 3:06 PM

I know the two times we got subpoena'd for emails, I had to pull back emails as long as the folks involved worked there, and had to pull everything.

If they want all my emails, it's a criminal subpoena.

Apr 21, 2020, 3:46 PM

And not the kind I normally get. But since I'm not a criminal, not worried. 19 years and never had personal emails, or work emails (other than on a specific case) subpoenaed.

Subpoenas are always targeted for everything I possess related to a certain case. 95% of the time, it's all in a file. And I don't even have the juicy stuff they are digging for, but they don't know that. I don't hold it against them either. Glad to help ;)

Do you pay more

Apr 21, 2020, 10:53 AM

Than Dominos?

Right click - Empty Folder***

Apr 21, 2020, 11:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have currently 431 emails marked as

Apr 21, 2020, 12:01 PM

unread. This is mostly due to the fact they have it set where I have to fully open to mark as read. I also don't work out of that inbox. all the important stuff goes to a team box. and gets to folders from there. We some disagreement as to how these folders should be named. I start with the shipment ID for example 123456, these go up in chronological order so pretty easy to find stuff. Other folks want to put ID in front of the number like ID-123456. I think this is pointless and makes it more difficult for me to find stuff in the archives.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Inbox currently has 156k items...

Apr 21, 2020, 1:01 PM

and sent has 48k items. I organize very little...I have a resumes folder where I stick resumes people send, one for to-do HR issues and that's about it (aside from normal clutter and junk-mail folders). I archive at 1 year.

With outlook search, filter, and sorting being very fast, I just use that to find e-mails.

I suspect organizing or not has a lot to do with your job function.

Do the subjects of your e-mails for different projects carry common subject information (like project number)? If so, you could look at using Conversation History in outlook as a way of partial organization.

Highly dependent on who sends what.

Apr 21, 2020, 2:07 PM

Typically easier once everything is in the folder to get what I need.

Apr 21, 2020, 3:20 PM

- 1 email in my inbox that requires action today.
- Some emails in a folder called PENDING that I'm waiting on a response on.
- 0 unread.

I drag EVERYTHING ELSE to a folder called "Done", which lives on an Enterprise Vault server.

I've never lost an email.

I.e. our Enterprise Vault search function

Apr 21, 2020, 3:21 PM

is much better than Outlook's native search.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic