Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Woof, windows are ASSPENSIVE
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Woof, windows are ASSPENSIVE

Jan 14, 2021, 6:22 PM

Andersen windows...uber asspensive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Also, buying windows is as bad a timeshare spiel. JFC, I’m

Jan 14, 2021, 6:27 PM

just going to buy a new house next time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you can wait out this Covid mess and go to a home show

Jan 14, 2021, 6:43 PM

We walked back and forth between 3 vendors bidding them against each other and went with a local company that made the windows to fit. They were cheaper than Anderson, Pella, or the other national brands and I know where to go in Taylors if I have a problem they won’t fix with a phone call.

They even beat Window World and my wife taught that girl in the commercial

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Hesh yosef

Jan 14, 2021, 6:41 PM

We are just getting warned up to interior paint and carpets. Holding off on windows until the seals break. Holding off on hvac for the same. Carpets and paint already suck because builder.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just burn the place down.***

Jan 14, 2021, 8:16 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS is why renting is awesome.

Jan 15, 2021, 12:04 AM

I'm living in a house <100 yards from the atlantic ocean, and couldn't afford this place if they gave it to me.

I can't imagine I could pay the taxes and insurance, much less for new windows.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm learning that rule of thumb is 10% the value of your

Jan 15, 2021, 8:48 AM

home is window replacement cost.

Literally everyone thinks that replacing windows is cheaper than it is.

Shop around....look at Pella....don’t buy from someone who

Jan 15, 2021, 12:06 AM

Sent a slick flyer in the mail.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apex, Pella, Andersen were all over $60k.***

Jan 15, 2021, 8:46 AM

Good grief

Jan 15, 2021, 8:47 AM

It’s been 10+ years since I did it, but I got Pella down to about $350-400 per window installed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We can't even get under the $1,500 per window.

Jan 15, 2021, 8:49 AM

COVID pricing probably has some play, but yeah this has been a raw dog experience.

Message was edited by: soccerkrzy® - typo

Try these guys....

Jan 15, 2021, 8:56 AM

They’re a franchise, but the one here does great work. They can often restore foggy windows without replacement, but their replacement costs are really reasonable too.

https://www.theglassguru.com/raleigh/

Sounds a bit excessive even if all 38 are double hung

Jan 15, 2021, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Apex, Pella, Andersen were all over $60k.*** ]

With fiberglass frames. Is every window a custom fit floor to ceiling type deal?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're 32" x 74".

Jan 15, 2021, 9:13 AM

Apex can't even do their casement that big because of the triple pane is too heavy for the frame, they are limited to 72" so they would've needed to put in some blocking, which would look janky.

There's your problem

Jan 15, 2021, 9:18 AM

no wonder it costs so #### much

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Block up the bottom part with some pallet wood and order

Jan 15, 2021, 9:23 AM

standard windows, single pane, and hang them yourself. All you need is a screwdriver and some thick mil white plastic and a knife to trim them out with.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Block up the bottom part with some pallet wood and order

Jan 15, 2021, 9:25 AM

That's What She Said: Energy News for the Week of August 2 in GIFs from The  Office | Chester Energy and Policy

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Woof, windows are ASSPENSIVE

Jan 15, 2021, 12:14 AM

Taylors Windows did us right recently. Manufactured in SC. They have a pretty good rep in the neighborhood forums and price well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s who did ours 15 years ago

Jan 15, 2021, 7:15 AM

Glad to hear they still do good work.

It really did impact the power bill in a positive way.

I don’t think they go to Raleigh

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

My brother replaced all the windows on the 100+ year old

Jan 15, 2021, 7:36 AM

house he is renovating for not a terrible amount. They are certainly not the BEST windows out there as he is on a tight budget for the reno, but the local lumber yard got him some decent windows. The biggest savings is hanging them himself though. His comment was a $10k job (his house was quoted that) was about $2500 if you hang them yourself.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How long ago was this?

Jan 15, 2021, 8:47 AM

And how many windows in that 100+ year old house?

We have 38 windows.

Why did you buy a house with so many windows that need

Jan 15, 2021, 8:51 AM

to be replaced? That seems like an Aero-move.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The house is 25 years old. It will be considered next time

Jan 15, 2021, 8:55 AM

when home buying the life of the window.

Last week. Maybe 10 windows. It is a small 900ish SF

Jan 15, 2021, 9:16 AM [ in reply to How long ago was this? ]

mill house near Winthrop University.

Have you ever heard of clear plastic?

Jan 15, 2021, 8:54 AM

Redneck Window Repair - YouTube

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic