Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
football parent
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

football parent

Aug 12, 2020, 1:22 PM

I am so sick of all these commissioners, gov officials, media members, etc. trying to act like they are the only thing standing between these evil money grabbing schools and players lives. Guess what.. a lot of them have parents/family members who can much better help them evaluate what is best for their sons.

On this subject i have actual skin in the game. My son plays at Furman. We have had numerous group emails, zoom meetings among the parents, coaches, etc. I would estimate over 90 percent of parents are in favor of playing!!I would bet with most teams across the country it would be a pretty similar vote. But somehow all these "officials" know what is best for us. I guess we are too stupid to protect our own sons. And for those that do not want to play it has been made 100 percent clear their scholarship will be honored and knowing the man Clay Hendrix is he would never hold it against a player who sat out. Each family's situation is unique and that is to be respected.

It is a no brainer that i would never let my son play if I thought he was in real danger. I have spent my whole life trying to protect him, coach his teams and mold him into a great young man. I would never in a million years place my son at risk just to play football, if i thought the risks were much greater than already exist to play football.

What I do know is that since he came home in March he has busted his butt to play to game he has played since he was in the 3rd grade. He got up every morning at 6:30 to run and condition. Then he took online classes, went to work and then lifted after work until 10 p.m. It is who he is.

We are sacrificing the chance for these young men to learn the life lessons of football. Of giving your best, discipline, grit, never giving up, all things that will make them better citizens, fathers, husbands, etc.

And of course at the P5 level there is no denying that avoiding lost revenues is part of the equation, but that does not change the fact that for most of these players they just want to play a game they have busted there a$$ to play almost there whole lives. These coaches see that too and that is why many of them have been so passionate about playing. Sure Dabo is happy to make 9 million but as we all know his real passion is making these guys into great young men. (he is going to get paid either way)

So for all of you "important people" that think i need you to protect my son ..Your are wrong. WE are fully capable. You can go back to worrying about liability and all the crap we will worry about making sure our sons are safe playing the game they love.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THANK YOU for this post! It is really the only one that

Aug 12, 2020, 1:33 PM

matters on this topic - one from a parent of a son who will be playing.

100+ TUs for you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Well said. POTD.

Aug 12, 2020, 1:37 PM

This is the new liberal mindset that government and officials know what's best for us and our kids, and we don't know anything. I really hope the SEC/ACC/Big12 will continue on with their seasons and prove that the other cancellations were just alarmist and perhaps political BS.

People seem to expect to live in a world without risk now, and politicians and other officials are happy to comply with that. They fear what the virus may do to a student-athlete but make no mention of the pre-existing and well known - and very real and dangerous - risks that they've lived with all of their careers, such as concussions and other head injuries, blown out knees, broken limbs, and for a very small minority, even paralysis. A very, very few have even died due to the same heart condition that they cite as a reason for not playing.

NO ONE is better cared for than these student athletes, whether at a smaller school like Furman or a larger one like Clemson. They are safer and better cared for BY FAR than any other teen, and many other adults.

There is NO GOOD EXCUSE for not playing this year other than politics, and I don't mean red state/blue state as much as I mean how these decisions will play in the media and on social media. That's what they really fear, though there is definitely a red state/blue state mentality behind it as well.

So sorry for your son to miss out on this season after all the hard work he's put in.

thank you

Aug 12, 2020, 1:42 PM

To Furman's credit they have not thrown in the towel yet. SONCON ADs meeting today and Presidents tomorrow.

The biggest issues for FCS schools like Furman are the testing costs. If the school can hold the line and we can get at least get some games we are going to try and do what we can as parents to help raise funds for the testing.

Can’t speak to the issue myself

Aug 12, 2020, 1:54 PM

so do appreciate your perspective on it. I was just struck with something you said ‘I would never let my son play....’. I’m assuming since he is over 18 that he would legally be making his own decisions, with your council of course. Just curious how college athletics work in this regard. Parental involvement being important for sure, but I would assume not in any legal sense?

yes

Aug 12, 2020, 2:01 PM

yes, from a purely legal standpoint,certainly he could play if that was his choice. Just like he has to now authorize us as parents to have access to any medical records.

And this is his choice. I have given him my thoughts, researched the health issues, we have spoken with his doctor and he just wants to play.

Re: yes

Aug 12, 2020, 2:28 PM

Good luck and God speed for your son this season. Hope y’all get in a number of games and that all come through the season in good health.

Thanks

Aug 12, 2020, 2:54 PM [ in reply to yes ]

Almost had a son who played college soccer so was just curious how it all works. I have two kids over 18 (19 and 22)...wish they would take more of my advice to heart, but I guess sometimes they gotta figure it out.

Thanks....I'm Truly Tired of Journalism Majors and Talking

Aug 12, 2020, 2:21 PM

Heads telling me "what I need to do" If my elected official tells me what to do, then it's time to do so and then vote them in or out based on their effectiveness. Eff the media whoring dogs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks....I'm Truly Tired of Journalism Majors and Talking

Aug 13, 2020, 1:11 PM

Liability is the key word in all of this turmoil. We live in a litigating society. That likely will never change.

Re: Thanks....I'm Truly Tired of Journalism Majors and Talking

Aug 13, 2020, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Thanks....I'm Truly Tired of Journalism Majors and Talking ]

TU for your opinion of, the media whoring dogs!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: football parent

Aug 13, 2020, 1:27 PM

I've preached on the same subject of government getting in the way, and getting to deep into trying to and doing what they personally believe the direction of society should do. That is what they done with the way parents was raising their kids. They should keep their personal opinions to themselves, and get the H&11 out of trying to control society with an iron fist, and allow a free society to vote on how our lives are run by a majority vote, with the right to have another vote after a vote has had a chance to see how life for the majority has matured after a majority rule of our lives. When congress makes up all of our life rules, they make it a law written in stone, and none of them are willing to change it even after they see it wasn't the best way to live. Just like they placed in laws rules of how everyday families should raise their family with children, and restricting how a parent can discipline their children with the threat of jailing the parents. How has that worked out.

If the kids aren't showing up at school, someone at the school vist the family to find out why. If they find a kid needing medical treatment bc of harsh discipline, report them to the courts, but atleast give parents the chance to again discipline their kids in a necessary way to give the control back to the parents, and not with the kids controlling their parents with the fear of government punishment towards parents bc, the parents has punished their kids for doing wrong. Governmental fear towards parents and restricting them from raising their kids to do the right things respectfully, is the very reason that kids are out of control today shooting down innocent strangers in the streets of most neighborhoods.

People for whatever reason believe that gun control will fix all the violents, it won't, but allowing parents to again raise law abiding respectful children until they become young respectful law abiding adults, and that is the only way to fix most of the violence happening with our young society that has gotten out of control since the government has interfered with families raising their young to become law abiding respectful young adults. The very moment government took the rights of discipline away from parents raising their kids, was the beginning of out of control disrespectful lawless young adults that don't have a clue to how to control their anger with anything other than out of control violence bc they have never been taught different. And they don't know bc parents was forced to stop the necessary teaching through discipline necessary to get their kids attention

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: football parent

Aug 13, 2020, 1:42 PM

Liberals have been deciding whats best for minorities (you may not be but football players disproportionately are) for decades. They prefer them do as they are told for their own good, since they clearly lack the capacity for independent thought. And woe to the minority who decides they aren't going to be told how to think. The leftist mask comes off quickly as these minorities are called names that aren't appropriate for a family board. None of the football related decisions are surprising to those who have been paying attention for the last fifty years.

Absolutely. Harumph, harumph, harumph!

Aug 13, 2020, 2:02 PM

https://youtu.be/Yt3GBlVjUd0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic