Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
KB is going to kill it this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 2,646

KB is going to kill it this year

Aug 15, 2018, 11:03 AM

This team has incredible potential, so I don’t care who starts at QB as long as they help this team live up to their potential to have a successful season.

With that being said, I think KB will earn the starting job and a draft pick for a few reasons:
1) Last year was his first year starting. He’s now had a full year to earn the trust of the team and a full season worth of experience.
2) I think the play calling will be more balanced this year and the coaches will coach him to pass it/hand it off more as opposed to keeping it so often.
3) He’ll have better/more experienced players around him. Our running backs are coming back with another year of experience which should help in pass protection and I think our receiving corps is going to be better than last year.
4) HE’S A GOOD QB. I know there’s so many stats you can find that show how he wasn’t good at this or that. But, he had some great games last season and had a nagging ankle injury for a large part of the season which aligned with many of his down games.

For those of you that are interested, here’s more depth on each of my opinions above.
1- This one’s pretty self explanatory. He gained a lot of experience last year and played in some pretty tough environments. That experience is invaluable going into the season and there’s only reason to believe he’ll improve on his game from last season. I know he had a terrible spring game, but that was only one day. Everyone’s saying he’s playing well so far in fall camp.
2- Everyone talks about how KB had just as many carries as our RB’s last year. The coaches have also expressed that they want to use the passing game and have more big plays this year. They also talk about how we have four great running backs. I think they are going to emphasize to the QBs that they need to distribute the ball. Because of these comments, I think the play calling will be more aggressive. Last year we would often times get a lead and then settle in and start running it. I think this more aggressive offense will open it up and give the QB more opportunity for success and KB will take advantage of it.
3- Last year, we had good RBs and receivers but I think both of these groups will be on a different level this year. Our RBs weren’t very experienced and none of them were great in pass protection. We get Etienne back after an offseason of workouts, drills, and learning the offense. The coaches have 4 running backs to choose from I think their ability to protect the QB will play a big part in who’s the first guy to run out there. Our receivers had a ton of potential last year but were also prone to making bone-headed mistakes. There’s a few plays that stick out where the ball hit Cain right in the hands and he dropped it. Others where Ray-Ray deflected it and it turned into an interception. With Renfrow coming back along with Tee and Amari poised for a big year, I’m optimistic we’ll have a more consistent receiving corps.
4- Kelly showed last year that he can be a great QB he just needs to come out and do it every game He had some great games, Miami and Louisville come to mind. And he did enough to get the win against VT and Auburn before we settled into the running game. He showed some real flashes of being a great QB but he also had some bad games. Syracuse and Alabama obviously come to mind for these. I don’t think he should’ve played in the Syracuse game. He could barely walk on his ankle and it was obvious it was affecting him. He definitely could have done better in the playoff game but I don’t think there’s that much he could have done. Early on, Cain dropped a wide open pass on a big third down play. The pass was right on the money and a clear first down and it just bounced off his hands. KB also put the ball right where it needed to be on the play where Tee got hurt. That play was a pass interference. If the don’t interfere, Tee likely catches it for a TD or if they throw the flag we have a first down in field goal range. But, because of these two bad breaks, Alabama was able to load the box for the rest of the game and our offensive line couldn’t handle it. Last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year and KB led us to 12 wins. His 2 losses came in a game where he was too injured to play and against a very good Alabama team that caught a few good breaks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree

Aug 15, 2018, 11:07 AM

He's gotten stronger and knows the playbook exceptionally well.
Toward the end of last year he was becoming more aware of changing defensive schemes and not as prone to going with the called play even if it was a bust.
Plus success breeds confidence, so he's also got that going for him.

I feel he will do exceptionally well this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KB is going to kill it this year

Aug 15, 2018, 11:25 AM

It’s going to be difficult for him to kill it from the sidelines.

You’re right. Especially when he’s resting in the 4th

Aug 15, 2018, 12:40 PM

After building a 34-0 lead. I honestly don’t care who starts but your trolling lacks creativity. -1 out of 10
Lame just lame.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You’re right. Especially when he’s resting in the 4th

Aug 15, 2018, 3:46 PM

I wasn’t trolling. I honestly believe Trevor Lawrence will be Clemson’s starting QB.

Don't disagree but a couple of points

Aug 15, 2018, 11:27 AM

When Bama loaded the box our running backs and receivers, including the tight end, did not respond and block. You can't put it all on the offensive line. 5 cannot block 8.

Punting is a huge concern going into this year as are DBs.

Re: Don't disagree but a couple of points

Aug 15, 2018, 11:45 AM

I hate that people put it all on KB because it was very much a TEAM loss on the offensive side of the ball.

Also, hats off to Alabama: Their defense played their best game of the season. Finally, sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way: The game turned on two tipped ball INTs that went right into the hands of Bama defenders. If those fell incomplete, who knows?

If we played Alabama 10 times, most likely we win 5 and they win 5. To be fair, I would say the same about us vs. Auburn and Auburn vs. Alabama.

Aug 15, 2018, 11:55 AM

I hate the people that try to take it off KB too. The guys that aren't realistic that the line isn't the reason a defense loads the box with 8 guys, putting several 2 on 1's on the line. That all starts with the QB play. Have to throw consistent and have a good deep threat game to make a defensive coordinator back his guys off. The line was an issue, was thoughout the season on the right side...but there's a degree of having a lack of deep passing threat that made that happen.

Aug 15, 2018, 12:03 PM

Tee Higgins getting hurt early JUST MIGHT have diminished our deep ball threat. Should have been a PI, but wasn't.

Cain had some key drops, too. KB put it right in his hands.

Again, TEAM loss.

Aug 15, 2018, 12:05 PM

Yeah, team... Including KB. Not excluding him.

Aug 15, 2018, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't disagree but a couple of points ]

It's not all on KB, but when you can't stretch the field vs an elite D it's going to be lights out every time. Our weaknesses played right into Bama's strengths.

Aug 15, 2018, 2:40 PM

Well, in all honesty, with KB our strength also feeds into their strength. They've always been a great run defense...you aren't beating them without a blended attack. They will easily shut your run game down, QB and RB's both, if you can't spread them out and make them have to work the whole field. Was that way both times Deshaun played them, was that way last year too. Just the reality of Bama...that's not a team you should expect a running QB and RB's to win mostly on their legs.

That means TL would double kill it - hehe - just playing to

Aug 15, 2018, 11:37 AM

the dumpers

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Your second point

Aug 15, 2018, 11:41 AM

you do realize that the coaches called plays last year to maximize Kelly Bryant's skillset...and that was avoiding downfield passes, and when they did try to utilize a downfield pass often Kelly Bryant was off target. What makes you think that is going to change this season? Unless he drastically improved from last season expect much of the same play calling, mis-reads, and carries by Kelly Bryant.

Re: Your second point

Aug 15, 2018, 11:55 AM

We were missing a lot in the passing game last season:

No big play receiver like Mike Williams. Deon Cain wasn't that guy and Tee Higgins wasn't there yet.
No big target at TE like Jordan Leggett.
None of the backs had the combination of running ability and pass protection that Wayne Gallman did.

We DID have game breaking RBs for the first time since at least Andre Ellington, if not C.J. Spiller and a QB who could move. We also had a good defense that could shut other teams down.

Therefore, instead of the up-tempo passing attack that we saw with Watson and Boyd, we went with a ball-control offense that ate clock and avoided turnovers so that the defense could win it.

Even if DW4 had come back, we would have had to change our offense based on the personnel we had. We went 12-1 with a healthy KB running the offense, so clearly the coaches were doing something right.

Aug 15, 2018, 12:01 PM

That is such horse shat...

It'd pay for some of you to actually open your eyes, and read some things for once..posted this twice so far:

It wasn't the WR's as much as some of you think. Cain had issues with drops, but that's about it. Feel free to read below (skip to the 3rd paragraph if you want to stay in denial on Bryant's stats):

https://www.cfbfilmroom.com/2018/01/16/kelly-bryant-2017-passing-chart/

Kelly Bryant’s downfield passing numbers severely limited Clemson’s big-play ability and appeared to play a role in the play calling. Bryant completed just 25.6 percent of his passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield, a huge dropoff from Watson’s 40 percent a season ago. Additionally, Bryant’s 43 pass attempts at 20+ yards downfield were less than half of Watson’s 90 attempts. In fact, Watson threw more touchdown passes 20+ yards downfield (13) than Bryant had total completions at that depth (11).

Bryant’s struggles as a passer weren’t limited just to deep throws, however. On attempts 10 or more yards downfield, Bryant completed just 46.3 percent of his throws, with eight touchdowns and five interceptions. Overall, Bryant’s average completion traveled just 5.6 yards in the air.

Some fans might be inclined to point out that Bryant was hurt by drops this season, which is true to an extent. Clemson’s leading receiver Deon Cain had a disappointing 12.5 percent drop rate. However, Bryant’s receivers only had an overall drop rate of 8.0 percent, which was actually an improvement from the 10.5 percent drop rate Watson suffered from a season ago.

Aug 15, 2018, 12:26 PM

If you think the WRs had nothing to do with it, then please tell me who our big play WR was last season.

Cain with his drops?
Higgins? Future star, but had a tendency to get pushed around as a freshman. (And was hurt in the Alabama game)
I love Hunter Renfrow, but are you sure you want to throw a jump ball to him?

Please tell me how we were to replace Jordan Leggett, too.

Yes, DW is a better passer than KB. Nobody will argue with that.

We dropped from 14th overall to 32nd overall, which was to be expected during a rebuilding year. Less passing, more running, 12 fewer turnovers.

Finally, the only stat that matters is W-L. One of our worst offensive statistical games was the blowout of Miami. One of our best (ever) was the loss to Pitt.

Time will tell

Aug 15, 2018, 12:36 PM

I think he will have slightly more yards and completions in downfield passing but as we have witnessed in the spring game, and reports from the recent scrimmage, Kelly Bryant still struggles with downfield accuracy. Higgins can only do so much with inaccurate passes, as seen with Cain last year who gave up because of the inconsistency

No he won't

Aug 15, 2018, 1:10 PM

Because by week 5, he'll be backing up TL.

Aug 15, 2018, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Your second point ]

Didn't say they had nothing to do with it.... But if the QB had issues getting a ball to them, they can't exactly emerge as one either. Why throw them under the bus completely and act like it wasn't a 2 way streak? That's far from the truth.

Aug 15, 2018, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Your second point ]

Cain did drop some balls but if you look at stats from the two prior years you can see that isn't the norm. So what was the difference last year? He is absolutely a deep threat as he often had multiple steps on the db. What he isn't is a jump ball guy.

Aug 15, 2018, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Your second point ]

I would agree that Kelly was not great at passing downfield last year. I understand your stats and clearly saw how we were missing the big play passing threat. But, my opinion is that KB will be a great quarterback this year. I think the ankle injury hurt his performance for about half the year which decreased his stats especially in downfield passing. But he's had all offseason to get healthy and improve his passing. I don't expect him to be as good as DW4 on the deep ball but I do think he'll improve. He may not be great at throwing it downfield but I think overall he will be a great quarterback.

Aug 15, 2018, 1:27 PM

We will have to see. IMO, that all depends on his passing accuracy and efficiency improving. I personally haven't seen anything yet that gives me concrete evidence that improvement has happened. Spring game didn't show it, and his practice reports seem to be up and down when you read the ones that aren't just coming from coach speak. I hope for his sake he's focused on it... The way he doesn't direct answer the questions about it, and isn't saying he knows that's an area he's focused big on improving, concerns a bit.

Thanks for your thoughts Mr. Bryant...

Aug 15, 2018, 11:46 AM

Nm

Let's not get crazy***

Aug 15, 2018, 12:08 PM

When you say “kill it”

Aug 15, 2018, 12:55 PM

Is that a good thing or bad?

Maybe I’m just not up on the hipster language these days.

If by 'It,' you mean the bench then I agree.***

Aug 15, 2018, 1:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 2,646
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic