Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey ClemsonPerson9, ‘member when I said
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1,211

Hey ClemsonPerson9, ‘member when I said

Apr 7, 2021, 12:38 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably just took that same estimate from Cobb

Apr 7, 2021, 12:53 PM

County. Link below for another good read on how much of a loss it really is. Boil that number down even smaller of how much of that number goes to small businesses vs the stadium, national hotel chains, etc

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/07/mlb-all-star-game-moved-georgia-economic-impact-voting-laws

The MLB reported $65 from the last game in Cleveland, and economists said even that was probably exaggerated (would link that but it requires a subscription).

And I agreed some small businesses will be missing out on that bonus money. And I also agree that moving it was a dumb idea. I’m also not going to boycott the MLB because of it. Even though my team isn’t great, love having the MLB package so I can watch as many games as I can!

$65M***

Apr 7, 2021, 12:54 PM

Yes $65 would be pretty rough

Apr 7, 2021, 1:19 PM

Re: Yes $65 would be pretty rough

Apr 7, 2021, 1:59 PM

Looking at the Colorado voting laws and comparing them to the new Georgia voting laws, I don't quite follow the MLB, Delta, Coca-Cola decisions. I would love for Biden without notes and a teleprompter to contrast and compare the voting laws of Georgia and Colorado and why the boycott of Georgia is a good thing when the metro Atlanta area is majority black and metro Denver is decidedly not. Who is punished by this boycott and what does the boycott accomplish?

Joe Biden I thought might be a fairly moderate unifying President. He is not off to a good start. So if you support photo ID to vote, you are a racist. A UGA/AJC poll of registered Georgian voters shows 74% support photo ID or other documentation in order to vote by mail. This is a new requirement for absentee voting. Are all these folks racist?

It is in fact quite interesting to look at different state's voting laws regarding voting hours, early voting days, ID, absentee for no cause or for certain causes. There is quite a bit of variability with several blue states having certain provisions that are more restrictive than GA, yet I don't hear the faux outrage from our leader.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You obviously didn’t read the article I posted.

Apr 7, 2021, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Yes $65 would be pretty rough ]

It’s probably below $65M.

“There is some loss, so it’s not zero, but it’s a whole lot closer to zero than the $100m number Atlanta was throwing around.”

Re: You obviously didn’t read the article I posted.

Apr 7, 2021, 3:08 PM

Which is not an objective analysis whatsoever.

Apr 7, 2021, 3:35 PM

Why would it bring in more than the game in 2019 when there was more economic activity before Covid? Again, based on the economist in the article, it’s closer to zero than it is the $100 million number (or even the inflated $65 million from last all-star game). If you can provide me with an unbiased analysis of the impact that says it’s anywhere close to $100m, or even $70m, then I’d be inclined to give it some consideration. Otherwise, I’ll stick with this analysis that says it’s probably below $50m.

Which is not an objective analysis whatsoever.

Apr 7, 2021, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: You obviously didn’t read the article I posted. ]

Why would it bring in more than the game in 2019 when there was more economic activity before Covid? Again, based on the economist in the article, it’s closer to zero than it is the $100 million number (or even the inflated $65 million from last all-star game). If you can provide me with an unbiased analysis of the impact that says it’s anywhere close to $100m, or even $70m, then I’d be inclined to give it some consideration. Otherwise, I’ll stick with this analysis that says it’s probably below $50m.

Re: Which is not an objective analysis whatsoever.

Apr 7, 2021, 3:47 PM

Those are the impacts reported by MLB. And it includes

Apr 7, 2021, 4:01 PM

the impact from a game that didn’t even happen in 2020. The last three games all had an impact $70m or below. And take into account that those were done by the MLB. And the other article I read (that was behind a paywall which is why I didn’t post it) also cited other economists that said MLB’s numbers are inflated. I’ll take an economist’s unbiased word over a politician’s or MLB’s word anytime. You believe what you want, you haven’t shown me anything objective that contradicts the unbiased analyses I’ve seen.

Here ya go

Apr 7, 2021, 4:17 PM

I didn’t say it was zero. CloseR to zero than $100m.

Apr 7, 2021, 5:02 PM

This article validated my point. You linked an article that states that the numbers MLB reported are overstated. The last 3 were under $70m as reported by MLB. And that is overstated, according to your article. Also this article cites the economist in the article I linked. The one that said “it’s closer to zero than $100m.” Thank you for proving my point.

Let me quote your article once again

Apr 7, 2021, 5:14 PM

So.... it had very little economic impact is what

Apr 7, 2021, 5:22 PM

you’re saying?

Re: So.... it had very little economic impact is what

Apr 7, 2021, 5:27 PM

So... a lot closer to zero than $100m.

Apr 7, 2021, 5:30 PM

Which was my original point. Thank you, I’m glad we finally agree.

Also why the heck would someone compare Boulder’s

Apr 7, 2021, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Yes $65 would be pretty rough ]

% black to Atlanta? At least be honest and compare Denver to Atlanta. But that won’t make the narrative look as good, which is why they probably did it. Without looking I’m sure Atlanta has a higher % of minorities than Denver. Another reason the move was dumb. They should have kept it in Atlanta, and they still could have used it as a platform to push whatever message they wanted. I wouldn’t have been a fan of that, but moving it to Denver makes no sense.

Good catch!

Apr 7, 2021, 3:17 PM

Yep Denver is definitely less diverse***

Apr 7, 2021, 3:35 PM

Why does it matter what "color" people are

Apr 7, 2021, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Also why the heck would someone compare Boulder’s ]

in those cities?

Re: Why does it matter what "color" people are

Apr 7, 2021, 3:50 PM

Your post was the first in this thread to talk about

Apr 7, 2021, 3:51 PM

skin color.

Re: Your post was the first in this thread to talk about

Apr 7, 2021, 4:00 PM

Who?***

Apr 7, 2021, 4:04 PM

The thought is that the small businesses that get a piece

Apr 7, 2021, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Why does it matter what "color" people are ]

of that bonus money are more likely to be white owned now that its in Denver instead of black owned if they had left it in Atlanta. Either way I agree it doesn’t matter, no small business is going to be significantly negatively impacted by this move.

Skin color, as usual, seems completely irrelevant to me.

Apr 7, 2021, 4:05 PM

I want all businesses to do well, regardless of melanin concentration of the owners' skin.

Funny

Apr 7, 2021, 4:19 PM

Good, definitely agree with him.***

Apr 8, 2021, 6:04 AM

Irony mostly. The MLB moved out of ATL to protest the new

Apr 7, 2021, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Why does it matter what "color" people are ]

GA voting laws. The reason the laws are bad is because they are (supposedly) tantamount to voter suppression (specifically suppression of the black vote).

So the fact that the MLB move will affect blacks negatively is ironical.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MLB's statement did not mention skin color.***

Apr 8, 2021, 6:05 AM

Saw that. They were smart to not mention any specific issues

Apr 8, 2021, 7:44 AM

with the new GA law. I noticed the golfers who were asked about it (at The Masters press conference) did the same thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw that too, a lot of non-answers which is smart

Apr 8, 2021, 8:23 AM

on their part. Phil even said something like, “I answered a political question years ago and it did not go well, so I’m not talking politics anymore.”

Re: Hey ClemsonPerson9, ‘member when I said

Apr 8, 2021, 6:16 AM

Who cares how much? It is costly for local workers and businesses either way.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1,211
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic