Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jounge Electricians not named FBcooch
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 565

Jounge Electricians not named FBcooch

Mar 25, 2021, 8:05 AM

I’m trying to replace a light fixture in my bathroom

It’s a wall mount above my vanity

The genius that installed the original (josephg knows him) used toggle bolts to mount. There is no electrical box. It’s in the middle of two studs.

I’ve got exposed wires coming out of a hole in the sheet rock

How do I mount a new fixture?

The milk is already in the freezer and the lint trap has been cleaned

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get you a good solid

Mar 25, 2021, 8:06 AM

pinecone

tigermanac®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Wirenuts and these

Mar 25, 2021, 8:11 AM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVT1N4M/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_21QHAN9WGHR0M8ENTMJN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

This is your answer

Mar 25, 2021, 8:26 AM

https://www.zoro.com/raco-electrical-box-adjustable-bar-2-gang-324/i/G0507701/feature-product?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping%20feed&utm_content=free%20google%20shopping%20clicks&gclid=CjwKCAjw6fCCBhBNEiwAem5SOyVdh0PG8aL8IHL2OcI-UA0GrG-9jHyOvQVutfjbSiHWTfYDfQrv1RoC-44QAvD_BwE

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Stupid question

Mar 25, 2021, 8:47 AM

What and how do I mount that to something?

There’s no accessible stud close to it

I’ve got a round hole probably 4in diameter

Without cutting into the drywall more than you need to

Mar 25, 2021, 8:54 AM

I like grouchingtiger®'s answer a little bit more than mine. The link I provided is ideally meant for attic access, but could have been used in your situation with a bit of creative though, im sure.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Zip ties***

Mar 25, 2021, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Stupid question ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stupid question

Mar 25, 2021, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Stupid question ]

It's normally used for ceiling fans.

Like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=install+ceiling+fan+box+between+joists&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS835US835&oq=install+ceiling+fan+box&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0l5j0i22i30l4.7868j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_P6ZcYOiKJYnl5NoP1aaE8AU25

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had that issue as well. And I cursed the previous owner.

Mar 25, 2021, 8:42 AM

There exists a blue, plastic junction box you can install that has arms that will swing out and lock as you screw it in. No need to attach to a stud. That’s what was recommended to me and I used , no problems so far.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Previous owner/installer is FIL

Mar 25, 2021, 8:50 AM

I’m assuming this is readily available at my local big box home improvement store?

it's an 'old-work' box

Mar 25, 2021, 9:17 AM

they've got the green labels on the box @ lowe's* and Home depot

* I just bought one just so i could confuse the F out of FBCoachSC®...Lowe's by me is and has been completely out of them...home depot only had a few....result of tons of people taking advantage of pandemia to do their part in confusing FBcooch

This^^^

Mar 25, 2021, 11:07 AM

Have used tons of them

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Yep. I've replaced 4 (now) light fixtures with them

Mar 25, 2021, 4:09 PM

Builder put too high a wattage lights in the enclosed fixtures. Add to that cheap plastic China crap boxes, and over time the heat made the plastic brittle, and the fixtures literally fell (hanging by the wires.

So I have to dig the old brittle crap box out, use an old construction box, and remount the fixture.

Really not that hard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can’t remember if this is the exact one I used

Mar 25, 2021, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Previous owner/installer is FIL ]

But very similar:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lighting-and-electrical/boxes-fittings-and-conduit/boxes/3163524?store=15819&gclid=CjwKCAjw6fCCBhBNEiwAem5SO5shHgmJaY5by2_GwUvN37JeWBm9kznFp-6cF63XR5ITDPN4ZY3BbBoC0hMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Found a YouTube video showing me how to install, because it was the first time. Just trace it out and cut your hole in the drywall, push it in and screw away.

Did that sound dirty?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like this answer, also.***

Mar 25, 2021, 8:53 AM [ in reply to I had that issue as well. And I cursed the previous owner. ]

It's a simple straight wire from a switch why do you need a

Mar 25, 2021, 9:04 AM

box?

Lights are low pull.
Just make sure the fixture is firmly attached to the wall and there is no bare meatal on the wires.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

The hole in the wall is bigger than the fixture, so I’ve got

Mar 25, 2021, 10:06 AM

Nothing to mount it to

You should be an expert at filling holes larger than

Mar 25, 2021, 10:07 AM

what you have

How many pine cones do you have?***

Mar 25, 2021, 10:24 AM [ in reply to The hole in the wall is bigger than the fixture, so I’ve got ]

Panta Rhei Heraclitus

They ran the wires through the drywall from the stud?

Mar 25, 2021, 9:08 AM

Well I don't really have an answer for that but what I can tell you is that you need to wash it down good. Pour a bunch of water on those live wires to make sure they're really clean before attempting any install.

Test with tongue first to make sure they're live.

As per usual, always begin by

Mar 25, 2021, 9:31 AM

putting milk in the freezer.

Now, how to mount a new fixture? Do we really have to go into it?

Pull dink out, insert into new fixture, thrust to and fro until your crystal glows.

HTH

You need a remodel box

Mar 25, 2021, 9:55 AM

Something like this, meant to go into existing drywall. Just be careful, since the weight is held by the drywall, if your fixture is too heavy, it will fall.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-18-cu-in-Round-Old-Work-Electrical-Box-B618RR/100404072

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Old work box

Mar 25, 2021, 10:10 AM

eazy peazy.

If you want it to be very strong, like to hang yourself from, you'll need to get one of those adjustable boxes with the telescoping rods that tie into the studs on each side. It'll require some additional demo.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Haven’t read through all of the replies yet so sorry if this has been said

Mar 25, 2021, 10:10 AM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeze nuts!

But really though, most residential fixtures will come with mounting directions. What you use really depends on the weight and design of the fixture.

Just tape

Mar 25, 2021, 10:15 AM

my pekkkr to your forehead so you can lick deeezzzz nnnuuuuuttttsssss

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I already did a deez nuts in this thread...

Mar 25, 2021, 10:17 AM

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez nuts!

Following. For those recommending an old work box, have you

Mar 25, 2021, 10:17 AM

tried this in the past for a wall-mounted fixture? I've only used them for a ceiling mounted box where the load is just being pulled in one direction. I'm wondering how long it would hold up over time without starting to sag. Especially in a humid environment.

Hey BigTiger_Fan...

Mar 25, 2021, 10:18 AM

Just how big are ya?

Mar 25, 2021, 10:20 AM

cm

Not bad. But I’m 7 around here.***

Mar 25, 2021, 10:25 AM

MM?***

Mar 25, 2021, 11:06 AM

Yes, the one I installed was for a bathroom vanity light.

Mar 25, 2021, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Following. For those recommending an old work box, have you ]

4 months in and it hasn’t caught fire or fallen off the wall. Will provide semi-regular updates.

get a mexican to rip open dry wall fix light

Mar 25, 2021, 4:18 PM

patch drywall

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 565
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic