Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did anyone else worry about the possible
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Did anyone else worry about the possible

Nov 1, 2020, 10:52 AM

consequences of the safety?

We had BC down inside the 5 with no timeouts (I think) and the QB was hurting.

We get two points to up our lead to 6, but a FG wouldn't beat us either way.

Now they get to try an on-sides kick that could have given them the ball out past the 30 with a fresh set of downs.

I know I'm not a rocket surgeon and it's been thought of before, but in a similar situation with the same point differential, say you're in a 4th and 25 or longer and back inside the 10, you could take the safety and give yourself as good a chance to continue a drive by trying the OS kick.

Just my two cents.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I worry

Nov 1, 2020, 10:55 AM

For my 2 kids and 3 grandchildren in today’s world

I don’t worry about a football game

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I worry

Nov 1, 2020, 11:24 AM

Excuse my choice of words. I should have said "the thought came to my mind". I was discussing football, not world peace.

No worries.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:18 AM

:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did anyone else worry about the possible

Nov 1, 2020, 10:57 AM

I can't worry about something that is not in my control.

Nov 1, 2020, 11:12 AM

Going with the odds, are you more likely to get a first down on a 4th down play, or successfully execute an onside kick?

I remember in the Pitt game we lost a few years ago, we had it 4th and 1 with the lead at midfield and brought in the jumbo package to get a first down which would have ended the game. Pitt stuffed it and they were able to move themselves a few yards within field goal range for the win. I can't help but to think Dabo had a flashback yesterday and chose to punt in the same exact situation this time.

Nov 1, 2020, 11:14 AM

If your worries can solve a problem.. then worry.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2020, 11:27 AM

As I mentioned above, I was just musing the unintended consequences of possibly getting penalized for making a good play. Excuse my wording.

Nov 1, 2020, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Did anyone else worry about the possible ]

For many years I had a sign on my desk that read, "It Takes Talent to Worry Successfully".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes I don’t think the safety really helped us

Nov 1, 2020, 11:18 AM

The chances of getting an onside kick are very low, so was that small chance worth the risk of them getting an extra 20-25 yards out in front? Not sure

I always thought they had to punt and not

Nov 1, 2020, 11:29 AM

Kick off when there was a safety. Guess that all changed sometime ago.

Message was edited by: clemsonfan2000c®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I always thought they had to punt and not

Nov 1, 2020, 12:15 PM

Punting or kicking off has long been the option. It is just that most people punt (deep) because if gives them better coverage options.

Nov 1, 2020, 11:32 AM

I thought it was a bad break TBH , but a great play.
They get possession of the onside penalty kick then we have to defend for another set of downs and there was like a buck twenty or so left on the clock

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

That was my thought as well***

Nov 1, 2020, 11:34 AM

Nov 1, 2020, 11:36 AM

You correctly pointed out the option that BC could have simply taken a knee in their end zone, given up the 2 points, and tried to execute an on-sides kick.

I think Clemson wanted that safety just as much as BC didn't want it.

But, yeah, it did have me going "hey... wait a minute now..."

It also took me a minute to kind of process everything that resulted from the intentional grounding call in the end zone because I kept thinking it was a fumble (and therefore a Clemson touchdown).

It was a unique situation with a lot going on. Good topic!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn't worried but thought it was kind of unfair that BC

Nov 1, 2020, 11:41 AM

was going to possibly benefit from a great defensive play by the Tigers

Nov 1, 2020, 12:13 PM

CU John,

I wonder what the odds are of recovering an onside kick in college football ?

Nov 20, 2018, 8:07 PM

I'm not sure. Probably not great, but maybe (or maybe not) better than completing a long pass or run with your back against the goal, and therefore less room to avoid the rush.

I wasn't thinking that BC wanted the safety in this instance. I was just kind of playing it forward to other potential scenarios, the main point being a team shouldn't have the chance of being penalized for making a good play.

It won't happen, but you could allow the team making the safety to choose different options, like play it as usual or refuse the points and take possession at the opponents 20 yard line, as one example.

I hadn't given it a ton of thought before yesterday.

UNC knows how hard it is.***

Nov 1, 2020, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Did anyone else worry about the possible ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 1, 2020, 12:20 PM

It was about 3" of forward arm motion from being a fumble TD for CU...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2020, 12:21 PM

Yep as soon as it happened I told my wife this actually works ok for BC. She didn’t really understand what I was talking about but if they had of recovered that kick. It would have been heart attack city .

Nov 1, 2020, 12:29 PM

Definitely. It's interesting because I think (but don't know) that Clemson could have refused the penalty there. So the choices would have been BC down 4 with 2nd and 10 from the 4 or the possibility of 1st and 10 at around the BC 30 down 6. I guess you would take the safety because the chances of an onside kick recovery are so low, but it's definitely not zero. It's certainly an interesting question.

Another way to look at it (from BC's side) is whether the odds are better that you can drive 96 yards for a td OR recover an onside kick AND drive 70 yards for a td. In that scenario I think BC would've chosen the 96 yard drive.

I celebrated about 5 secs and then said WAIT A MINUTE .....***

Nov 1, 2020, 12:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic