Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
D-Day - Saving Private Ryan.......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,785

D-Day - Saving Private Ryan.......

Jun 6, 2019, 4:15 PM

If you haven't seen Saving Private Ryan, you have to for the D-Day realism at the beginning.

And the start of the movie at the American Cemetery above Omaha Beach. It's impressive/humbling as can be to see all of the white headstones in the movie. But if you ever can, you need to actually go there yourself. I went two summers ago. Walking through the Crosses and Stars of David and reading the men's names makes it all so real.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YeP..Saving Private Ryan Movie opens with the fury of Hale on Earth & Reality of the moment!

Jun 6, 2019, 5:02 PM

And, I too visited that unbelievable hollowed ground above the cliffs in 1992, with a huge concrete German Pillbox still there, and teared up unexpectedly when it dawned on me that hardly any of these buried American soldier's families had been able to come visit & pay their respects!

Oh, what a high cliff to take with machine gun fire coming down into your head & face.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: D-Day - Saving Private Ryan.......

Jun 6, 2019, 6:45 PM

This is my daughter holding a picture of her great grandfather who landed on Utah Beach on D-Day. We went during December and were not able to visit Utah Beach as it was closed during the off season. We are standing on Omaha Beach with Utah over her shoulder in the background. Sorry I couldn't rotate the picture; I tried. She and I teared up thinking that he was a little younger than she at the time of this photo. She said she could only imagine how unbelievably scared he must have been. It was a very somber but rewarding excursion.

When I watched that in the theater a lady threw up

Jun 6, 2019, 6:48 PM

near me right after the Higgins boat door dropped.

I think a few other left behind me.

That is definitely a movie you need to see on "the big screen."

I am gonna make a confession. Years ago, my father in law,

Jun 6, 2019, 7:04 PM

who had 2 Purple Hearts from WWII rented a large beach house to accomodate 4 different families so we could all be there together. One year, he bought this tent that he wanted put up on the beach for the grand babies. Well sirs, that thing was a pain in the butt to put up every morning and take down every evening, and ashamedly, I admit I fussed about it a little. Then, I saw "Saving Private Ryan". The first 20 minutes of that movie was eye opening. As soon as I got out, I called my father in law and said," Leon, I just saw a snippet of what war is like. I will never again have ANY reluctance to do anything you ask of me"...and I didn't!

My wife rented that movie after I had told her I

Jun 6, 2019, 11:06 PM

couldn't watch it after knowing my uncle died there. I had to leave the room due to the realism on the beach. My one and only bout with PTSD as I can watch any Viet Nam movie without any problems - maybe because I survived that war and never had to endure anything like what the guys on D-Day did.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My wife rented that movie after I had told her I

Jun 7, 2019, 9:10 AM

clover65® said:

couldn't watch it after knowing my uncle died there. I had to leave the room due to the realism on the beach. My one and only bout with PTSD as I can watch any Viet Nam movie without any problems - maybe because I survived that war and never had to endure anything like what the guys on D-Day did.

There were WW2 survivors checking themselves into therapy after that movie.

Spielberg may have done that one a little too well. The movie is rough throughout, but that first 20 minutes is absolutely horrific, maybe the hardest stuff to watch I've ever seen.

Re: D-Day - Saving Private Ryan.......

Jun 6, 2019, 11:17 PM

have heard it is as real as anything ever made. I also highly recommend the HBO series Band of Brothers...not so much for the D day portion but a very well made series. I like it better than SPR.

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,785
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic