Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Only Libs Trust Liberal Media
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 983

Only Libs Trust Liberal Media

Apr 6, 2021, 9:02 AM

Makes total sense. Wonder if the-media-is-neutral-Tobias27772 will agree?

https://www.outkick.com/no-shock-the-only-people-that-trust-the-liberal-media-are-liberal-voters/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah right, like I'm gonna trust FiveThirtyEight. Nice try!***

Apr 6, 2021, 9:07 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only Libs Trust Liberal Media

Apr 6, 2021, 9:09 AM

Shocker...The only people who trust the conservative media are conservatives. That's why Newsmax and Oan exist. That's the way it works in the US. Kind of on the similar subject. This is kind of funny watching the Newsmax dude ask a question.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/jen-psaki-newsmax-secret-memo-john-gizzi-011911306.html
">

Apr 6, 2021, 10:08 AM

Carlsbad® said:

Shocker...The only people who trust the conservative media are conservatives. That's why Newsmax and Oan exist. That's the way it works in the US. Kind of on the similar subject. This is kind of funny watching the Newsmax dude ask a question.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/jen-psaki-newsmax-secret-memo-john-gizzi-011911306.html
">
">
">
">
">">

Why do you continue to compare OAN and Newsmax to CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS etc. they aren’t comparable.

Conservatives have Fox News as their national media.

Liberals have the other 90% of mainstream media. How do you still not understand.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2021, 10:15 AM

I am just comparing conservative news sources. We don't have nutty ones like those.

So do better.

Apr 6, 2021, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Only Libs Trust Liberal Media ]

Sure there's bias across the spectrum, but with the "MSM" you're talking about word connotation or how much coverage they give things, as opposed to fox news which is mostly "entertainment" to give license to full blown propaganda.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So do better.

Apr 6, 2021, 10:51 AM

You seriously think Fox News is worse than CNN and/or MSNBC?

Was the deceptive hit piece on desantis and Publix by 60 minutes propaganda?

Apr 6, 2021, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Only Libs Trust Liberal Media ]

Mt

and the rest of you reactionaries here, there is a little truth of which you guys seem unaware. The most mainstream of the media - ABC CBS NBC are relatively neutral in their presentation of the news. A number of objective analyses confirm this.

The reason that they seem leftist to y'all is that you are way out to the right in your perspectives - so everything looks to the left of y'all. When any news story does not agree with your far right perspective you dismiss it as biased media. Despite the fact that YOUR friends all agree with you does not make you centrists - or the majority. Sorry to break it to you.

I seem very liberal to you - and you love to put me into that box so that you don't have to give any thought to my position, but the fact is that i am probably closer to the middle of this country than you guys, all things considered.

Apr 6, 2021, 11:35 AM

most mainstream of the media - ABC CBS NBC are relatively neutral in their presentation of the news.

I'll believe that when they quit referring to illegal aliens as 'undocumented migrants' and quit insisting there are more than two genders.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2021, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Only Libs Trust Liberal Media ]

Mt

and the rest of you reactionaries here, there is a little truth of which you guys seem unaware. The most mainstream of the media - ABC CBS NBC are relatively neutral in their presentation of the news. A number of objective analyses confirm this.

The reason that they seem leftist to y'all is that you are way out to the right in your perspectives - so everything looks to the left of y'all. When any news story does not agree with your far right perspective you dismiss it as biased media. Despite the fact that YOUR friends all agree with you does not make you centrists - or the majority. Sorry to break it to you.

I seem very liberal to you - and you love to put me into that box so that you don't have to give any thought to my position, but the fact is that i am probably closer to the middle of this country than you guys, all things considered.

I am actually slightly left on the political spectrum so I don’t know what this “far right” talk is.

If you think the mainstream media and big tech aren’t overly biased on the left then I don’t know what to tell you. Your head is in the sand.

There are too many examples to point out

Here’s one: 60 minutes just ran an incredibly deceptive hit piece on Ron desantis. Why do you think that is?

Why did Andrew cuomo win awards and get book deals from his putrid performance as governor during the pandemic, but desantis continues to get bashed?

Apr 6, 2021, 2:53 PM

mt

You do know what anecdotal evidence is, don't you ? And you know the value of it is practically nil, yes ?

Apr 6, 2021, 3:40 PM

Yes I do.

Obviously showing examples of the biased media doesn’t get through your thick skull.

Just continue to push your ####### media bias spectrum that holds the real truth.

Apr 6, 2021, 5:39 PM

MT.

I recognize that you see those stories as being misrepresented - and perhaps they are, but news outlets do dozens, maybe hundreds of stories a day, so think you have to look at them in their entirety.

Let us both recognize that we each have our our point of view - and that we are both subject to confirmation bias. As such, we have to be skeptical of our own objectivity in the matter. And yet, it is possible for researchers to slow down and try to clinically look for evidence of bias in news stories - and to quantify that evidence to arrive at some sort of representative score.

I am attempting to represent that effort in the chart. If you can find an objective analysis that you think is better done or more accurate, I will be happy to look at it and try to ameliorate my confirmation bias.

But until then, you throwing out a couple of examples is hardly significant enough.

Apr 7, 2021, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Only Libs Trust Liberal Media ]

MT

If the majority of Americans are conservative - why aren't the majority of news outlets ?

Supply and demand and all that.

Apr 6, 2021, 10:32 AM

NC

Would you not say the same about conservatives and conservative media ??

Apr 6, 2021, 5:31 PM

Yeah, probably so.

But, have you ever watched ABC (or others) and Fox cover the same political story? Listen to the words they use. See what one network says and doesn't say and same with the other.

The Biden fall on AF1 vs. Trump slow walk down the ramp.
The kid in DC with the Indian harassing him.
Jussie Smollett story.
HRC DIY email server story.
Russian collusion - still unproven b/c it didn't happen.
Peter Strzok texts about preventing Trump from becoming POTUS.
The recent high-profile "corrections" by NYT, NPR, WAPO
Jan 6th Trump rally

I mean if you have lived the past four years and paid attention, the list is very long. I am guessing you must never watch conservative news...

Like MT said, if you can't see it, then I can't convince you.

Apr 6, 2021, 5:56 PM

NC

I make a point to go first to the reputable and centrist news sites for my news, but as a political scientist I always go beyond that to try to gauge the landscape. Fox News is in my top ten sites.

When I watch Fox, I see that same things that you are claiming about liberal media. They play up positive conservative stories and negative liberal stories. I notice what they cover and the language that they use to cover it. I see them the same way that you see ABC.

So which one of us is right about the news - or more importantly, how might Americans digest their news so that there might be agreement at least on what is real in the world - and maybe some similar sense of priorities. The real question is not which one is more biases. The question should be where is the most accurate perspective in between them.

All news outlets have two main biases, laziness (they often shortcut to get a story first or at all - and they repeat each other's stories) and sensationalism (everything is a crisis, or attack, or slammed, etc.) Other than that, Fox led the way with ideology and MSNBC tried to replicate their success at selling the news on the left). There are several news outlets that do an decent job of presenting an fairly neutral perspective, but most people don't frequent those outlets.

Just one last thing to try to make my point. For three months, conservative news outlets hyped up the story of a stolen election and widespread fraud. They misrepresented the facts to such an extent that they are being sued for damages. They had to air disclaimers to try to avoid their liability. For over three months that beat that drum in a hundred different ways. And it turned out that there was nothing - NOTHING - to support those claims and their perspective.

I don't expect that to make you a fan of ABC, but at least you might question the conservative news perspective.

Apr 7, 2021, 9:38 AM

I would add that Fox News has blurred the distinction between "opinion" and "news" to such an extent their viewers seemingly can't even tell the difference anymore.

They do not even seem to know that Hannity and Carlson are not in fact journalists, and that Carlson in fact escaped lawsuits by claiming the same protections that Mad magazine once enjoyed - that nobody reasonable would actually believe the stuff coming out of his mouth. Basically: Tucker's actual legal protection is: his audience is a pack of ignorant fools. Truth. (We're seeing Sidney Powell double down on that strategy with her Dominion defamation lawsuit, which is absolutely insane, given that her words helped launch a literal insurrection.)

That distortion of the law was actually meant to protect satire, not guys who blurred the line between opinion hosts and propagandists, and IMHO it's been absolutely devastating to the truthfulness level of American media...in both directions, actually, but particularly from the right. They just do not even care anymore and are pretty much just engaged in an all-out assault on truth, all the time now.

I do not understand how it serves the American public to allow our media to lie to us. There need to be real penalties for those who deliberately mislead the public, especially for profit or ratings. Fox, OAN, NewsMax, definitely crossed that line this past cycle, and started an insurrection as an added bonus. Why they're still broadcasting is beyond me. They weren't even fined.

I'm hopeful those Dominion defamation lawsuits absolutely break them. They more than have it coming.

Apr 7, 2021, 8:53 PM

At the very least, all of these opinion shows should have top have the word "opinion" flashing the whole time that they are on.

Apr 6, 2021, 10:36 AM

BTW,

I never said that the entire media is neutral. The chart that you refuse to give any credence to clearly shows the media outlets that are to the left and to the right.

However, there are a number of media outlets that score well against bias and for accuracy.

THOSE are the outlet in my media aggregator. How about yours ??

If and when I read the others, I go in aware of their tendencies and take their news with a grain of salt.

Where's 'NewsNation'...?***

Apr 7, 2021, 1:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where's 'NewsNation'...?***

Apr 7, 2021, 8:53 AM

solo

If you would like to add Newsnation to the chart, all you have to do is suggest that to the website that does the chart. They are open to studying any news outlet.

Apr 7, 2021, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Only Libs Trust Liberal Media ]

Can you post the chart again?

Apr 7, 2021, 9:32 AM

Just found online. Yeah the chart is pretty bad.

Listed as middle but three skew left

Bloomberg
Politico
NPR

Listed as skew left but are hyper-partisan left. Also they should be listed way further down on the chart.

Vox
The Atlantic
CNN
MSNBC
The Bulwark
The huffington post

Apr 7, 2021, 8:57 PM

Mt.

Could it possibly be that you are further right than you think - and therefore see these outlets as further left.

I am not making an accusation, just asking you to consider the possibility.

It also occurs to me that you may be considering opinion pieces in YOUR assessment and that the people who do the chart may not. I am not sure about that.

Apr 6, 2021, 10:41 AM

they know it is propaganda , but as long as they continue to tote the water they dont care

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad to see Hannity is trusted

Apr 6, 2021, 11:33 AM

https://www.journalism.org/2020/01/24/u-s-media-polarization-and-the-2020-election-a-nation-divided/pj_2020-01-24_media-polarization_0-02/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well see, Pew Research is ALSO liberal, so down

Apr 6, 2021, 1:57 PM

the rabbit hole we go.

In fact, the only true, fair and balanced Americans are Rush Limbaugh and MiuraTiger. One is deader than a doornail. The other is barely coherent.

LIBRALISM IS A MENTAL ILLNESS!!Q!!!!!!!!

Re: Glad to see Hannity is trusted

Apr 6, 2021, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Glad to see Hannity is trusted ]

Duh, because so many of the news outlets are liberal.

Don't really like the use of the word "trust" here.

Apr 7, 2021, 7:46 AM

I think "trust" is irrelevant. I trust in facts. When it's a fact, I accept it. When "media" reports opinions, then I generally ignore it.

Replies: 29
| visibility 983
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic