Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney says he has a clear No.2 quarterback
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney says he has a clear No.2 quarterback

Sep 1, 2015, 12:28 PM

Swinney says he has a clear No.2 quarterback

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

germans

Sep 1, 2015, 12:33 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Game-Week-Swinney-excited-start-season-14013

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Yea, just like last year Cole Stoudt was a "clear #1"

Sep 1, 2015, 12:35 PM

Dr. Schuess has a cool name, but he's no D1A caliber QB. He should be playing D2 ball somewhere and we need to be getting Kelly Bryant and Tucker Israel ready to go just in case DW goes down with an injury.

Sooooo....what's your point?

Sep 1, 2015, 12:37 PM

It's game 1? It's hard to argue that Schuessler isn't the #2 guy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He doesn't have a point.

Sep 1, 2015, 12:42 PM

Stoudt really wasn't the clear number one last year. Even in getting the first snap of the first game, he wasn't the clear number one. If he was, there would have been no plan to get Watson in the game. for some reason, the coaches just didn't trust throwing Watson out there when he probably should have been.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt got the nod early because of Chad Kelly

Sep 1, 2015, 12:52 PM

It was never the situation that Stoudt was that much better than Kelly, he was just more mature. Chad Kelly showed by his behavior in uniform and out that he was not mentally ready.

Stoudt was really never supposed to be the guy.

Sep 1, 2015, 1:02 PM

But, as you said, Chad Kelly's lack of maturity caused him to handle adversity vary poorly. In hindsight, Watson probably should have been the guy all the way. Maybe would have been if the game had been a Wofford type. I get not throwing a freshman in the pressure cooker. I don't get playing a guy just because he is a senior.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think that being a senior was the only reason?

Sep 1, 2015, 1:10 PM

I find it hard to believe Swinney would override Morris if either or both didn't think Stoudt could handle it. If it were just the principle of Stoudt being the senior, why sub Watson at all in that game between the hedges?

I feel like all of this was addressed.

Sep 1, 2015, 1:32 PM

Lets not get away from the fact that Cole really only had one good game. He was going down the road to being remembered as one of the worst Clemson quarterbacks. My guess is, the coaches were worried Watson may make a really bad play due to nerves and that could have derailed the game. Probably trusted Cole to go in and not royally screw up and let the game get going a bit.

Re: Yea, just like last year Cole Stoudt was a "clear #1"

Sep 1, 2015, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Yea, just like last year Cole Stoudt was a "clear #1" ]

Cole looked Great in the bowl. Maybe his problems were related to shoulder injury and that he needed another qb coach. Hats off to Brandon Streeter.

Agreed - good post.***

Sep 1, 2015, 12:47 PM

Probably due to "treatment" and to confidence

Sep 1, 2015, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Yea, just like last year Cole Stoudt was a "clear #1" ]

He was being asked to play like he was Watson. Scott and Elliott admitted as much and changed strategy for the bowl. The results speak for themselves.

Confidence is a huge thing, both in ones self and

Sep 1, 2015, 1:05 PM

the teammates. D comes out and just beats up on Oklahoma in that game, then the big play to Scott, more D beating up Oklahoma, good things happen.

Look at the Boyd era. When the D was having a good game, the O was nearly unstoppable. If the D was having a bad night, the O pressed too much and made things worse.

The D beat up on other teams too

Sep 1, 2015, 1:12 PM

But Stoudt still struggled. They even held GT to some season lows. Difference to me was Stoudt being coached at his level and not Watsons. As you say, that added confidence all around to him, the offense and even the defense.

I hope you are right. Chad Morris was a great hire

Sep 1, 2015, 1:36 PM

of course, but had flaws. Seemingly stubbornness was the main one. Maybe what the new guys lack in overall experience they make up for in being adaptive to players and situations.

You tell me how he ended up as our second?

Sep 1, 2015, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Yea, just like last year Cole Stoudt was a "clear #1" ]

You want to say something negative about Clemson Tigers, let it out coot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yea, just like last year Cole Stoudt was a "clear #1"

Sep 1, 2015, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Yea, just like last year Cole Stoudt was a "clear #1" ]

Coach Bowden is that you?? You had your chance with Willy and Cullen.

Nick will be 3rd on the chart by season's end

Sep 1, 2015, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Yea, just like last year Cole Stoudt was a "clear #1" ]

But AlltimeCoot, he'd start every game for USuC this year.

I disagree

Sep 1, 2015, 12:37 PM

but what do I know

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Point - I can respect a person who has an opinion but ...

Sep 1, 2015, 12:57 PM

recognizes that ther may be more information, more data and other reasons - of which, the fans do not have knowledge. Also it is a dynamic environment - players develop, regress, get injured, gain experience etc.

Right now Dabo is just establishing a clear pecking order - for the 1st couple of games.

He's also rewarding effort on Schuessler's part***

Sep 1, 2015, 12:58 PM

Nick may have progressed quite a bit, and may indeed

Sep 1, 2015, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Point - I can respect a person who has an opinion but ... ]

now be quite capable of leading this team if need be. My concern is that one year ago, in his 3rd year in the program, was not anywhere close to being good enough. He wasn't even good enough to get a snap when Cole Stoudt was injured and obviously in pain, and struggling mightily to make the most basic throws. I trust Dabo and his staff completely to know who's the most capable, and I believe him when he says Nick is a clear #2, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping Watson stays healthy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Nick may have progressed quite a bit, and may indeed

Sep 1, 2015, 1:39 PM

well probably what we really saw was a basic weakness of the Chad. He had one idea how a qb should play. Obviously wanted only watson and would not or could not adjust to Cole or nick's strengths or weaknesses. If we had had streeter all season, we may have seen play like the bowl game. Chad did a lot but I am glad he is gone.

Re: Nick may have progressed quite a bit, and may indeed

Sep 1, 2015, 2:26 PM

I'm not 100% in agreement with your statements, but I definitely see validity in a major portion. The fact that Tajh (who I have great admiration for) has struggled so much in development (in my eyes)tells me THE CHAD had his weakness. I fully believe having Brandon coaching will be big in development of our QBs. Just my .02.

Re: FB Update: Swinney says he has a clear No.2 quarterback

Sep 1, 2015, 12:57 PM

Better be careful DW, Nick has earned it

Nick is good in practice but we're talkin bout practice!

Sep 1, 2015, 1:03 PM

Not a game...nm.

Re: Nick is good in practice but we're talkin bout practice!

Sep 1, 2015, 1:40 PM

he has more game experience than any of the freshmen . Therefore your statement doesn't hold water.

Re: Nick is good in practice but we're talkin bout practice!

Sep 1, 2015, 2:09 PM

Apparently you didn't pick up on his humor.

Stay With Us

Sep 1, 2015, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Nick is good in practice but we're talkin bout practice! ]

it was a funny reference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

What else would folks expect a coach to say?

Sep 1, 2015, 1:13 PM

Now..what do we all think would happen if DW were to go down for any length of time?

Bryant would be the man w/in a week IMO.

The first guy to come in once we're up big? NS
The first guy to comee in if DW gets his helmet knocked off and has to be out 1 play? NS
The guy who goes in if the unthinkable happens during a game? NS
The guy who would be our starter the next week if the unthinkable happens? My bet would be KB.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Did he really say "controversary" or did he say

Sep 1, 2015, 2:38 PM

"controversy"?

Re: Crump speak

Sep 1, 2015, 2:41 PM

@Crump

You mean the date that commemorates a controversy?

Sep 1, 2015, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Did he really say "controversary" or did he say ]

THEN YES.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's as classic as you guys getting called curserers!***

Sep 1, 2015, 2:50 PM

Nick paid his dues!***

Sep 1, 2015, 3:53 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Swinney says he has a clear No.2 quarterback

Sep 1, 2015, 10:32 PM

If he is so fast, so quick, so accurate then please answer me as to why did he not play last year when " all of that" was needed.
Dabo, we all know how you feel about your seniors and that they have given their dues. There is nothing wrong with being loyal to your seniors... What you did in the bowl game last year was great. We are not idiots though, he was not that great last year and he has not bloomed into being great over night.
Call it what it is...he has payed his dues and he deserves to play on that alone.

The Sky will not fall

Sep 2, 2015, 12:13 AM

As most of you I will admit NS didn't impress a bunch in limited time last year. That said the fact is the kid was splitting 3 team reps with Olsen and probably did most of his throwing to The water boys. He had all spring to put in work, with actual coaching, and will get meaningful practice reps. PLUS a potentially solid running game. Do I hope DW stays healthy all year? Of course. Can the team win with NS? Most games, I think we will be ok. And for goodness sake, yall get off Cole. That guy busted his butt last year, was clearly hurt in the Louisville game even. Some may recall I stuck by that then, still do. When he was healthy he was very accuratr. Recall in the Valley when Tajh had one of those days? Cole came in there fired up and scored. Too late in game though. Remember SC State? Yeah, it's SC St but still, what 90% passing with a clear drop? Kid wasn't terrible. We are not SC fans who whine about every little thing. I wish the whole team nothing but success and can't wait for Saturday!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic