Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WRU - Who will play the coveted 9 man?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

WRU - Who will play the coveted 9 man?

Jan 21, 2020, 11:20 AM

After a postseason where WRU had a bit of a let down, I imagine there will be a room full of talented dudes ready to showcase themselves next season. Does Ross move over to the 9? Does Ngata fill that role? Losing Tee is huge because of his talent and the position he played.

What say you TNetters? What will the starting lineup look like at WR?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ross

Jan 21, 2020, 11:45 AM

Most experienced and has the right body and skills for it

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ross

Jan 21, 2020, 12:09 PM

Most experienced and has the right body and skills for it

Maybe. I could see Ross moving back to the 9. Depends, I suspect, on quite a few other things - like, does Ladson really take off or does Ngata? Both of them have a load of talent, neither really emerged as a go-to last year as true froshes the way Higgins and Ross both did. The guy who really puts his foot down probably secures a spot. If it's Ladson I think he starts at the 2 and Ross shifts to the 9 because Ladson has Sammy Watkins-type acceleration and that screams "2". If it's Ngata he probably starts at the 9 and Ross stays at the 2 because Ngata is both bigger and more physical than Ross.

Either way, all three guys are almost certainly going to play a bunch. Be interesting to see what the next wave looks like. I've liked what I've seen of Brannon Spector but he probably spends a year behind Rogers at the 5 before taking over (if he does). Especially if Powell moves on as rumored, there's an acre of space behind those five dudes for new guys like Ajou Ajou and EJ Williams if they're remotely ready.

Jan 21, 2020, 12:15 PM

I agree with you. Ladson seems like he could be 9, 5 or 2 which leads me to believe Ross and Ngata will take most of the snaps at 9.

It could play out differently if Ngata plays his way into a starting role on the other side.

I lean towards Ross because of experience but they all have some game experience now. I feel like the 9 is our Marquee position and he’s earned a shot to lock it down.

They will all play a lot. Should be an exiting year for our WRs. I hope to see the orbital motion as a staple with Rodgers next year. It helps the run game between the tackles so much. (It also sucks the back end of the defense up so we can set up going over the top)

Anyway, I’ll stop lobbying for more orbital motion.

Jan 21, 2020, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Ross ]

I agree. My personal take is that Ross is flexible, so it’ll come down to who develops the most out of Ngata/Ladson. It seemed like Ngata was going to be the one, eg UL game. But he seemed to hit a wall. I’ll be curious to see how it plays out.

Which games specifically was Joe more physical than Ross?

Jan 21, 2020, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Ross ]

Because that sounds like an unfounded hypothetical...I want to see the specific examples of Joe being more physical than Ross...Which plays exactly in what games?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WRU - Who will play the coveted 9 man?

Jan 21, 2020, 12:07 PM

In all honesty, I'm more worried about the 2-man position. The lack of use with 5-man and TE bother me just as much but that's for another post. The 2-man spot is a big deal in this offense, though. Think back to when we had Sammy and Nuk. Yes, I'm talking about 2 All-American caliber WRs, but they maximized their roles at the position. Sammy was the guy you got the ball out to quick and he could make the first man miss if needed and was also really good with the intermediate routes over the middle (which we seem to NEVER attack). It seems like we don't have that type of route runner at that position. We have a lot of big guys who can go up and get it, but again after looking at LSU go through their entire route on our secondary, we don't have the receiver that will just beat you off running a crisp route.

I like Ladson for that spot

Jan 21, 2020, 12:18 PM

He’s kinda like a mix of Sammy Watkins and Mike Williams

Speed of Sammy, length and balls skills of Williams

Kinda like Quoz pointed out. Seems like the right fit.

Jan 21, 2020, 12:26 PM

I don't think we know enough about Ladson or Ngata as just did not get much playing time. I think both are super talented and believe Ladson needs to be utilized more this year. He is an incredible talent.

My guess is Ross.***

Jan 21, 2020, 12:49 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2020, 12:58 PM

I like the following in our base 11 personnel

9 - Ross
2 - Rodgers (off the LOS)
5 - Ngata/Ladson
TE - Galloway

Maybe we need to mix in bit of 10 personnel and get all 4 WR on the field like we did with Higgins and Ross on the same side of the formation in 2018. However, I like the athleticism Galloway brings. Just my 2 cents.

This seems like the most likely depth chart to me

Jan 21, 2020, 3:56 PM

We could run more 4 WR sets but Elliot seems to really love the 11 personnel. I like it too because it’s well balanced.

We should be more comfortable in the 11 next year. Galloway looked very capable in the CFP.

Jan 21, 2020, 2:23 PM

My take on this is that we need to get Ross out of the 2 man position no matter what.

My general observation is that Clemson asks their 2 position to do a lot with YAC. Short routes, screens, underneath patterns crossing the field (we wish right?).

Ross showed during his freshman season that he is deadly when he can get down the field with his route and already is at full speed when he catches the ball.

He was much less effective this season when he was fed more screens and short passes and asked to navigate traffic and make people miss tackles.

I think Amari fits great in the 2 spot with one of the rising sophomores in the 5.

It will be interesting to see for sure.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic