Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
would the SEC take Texas?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

would the SEC take Texas?

Feb 22, 2013, 4:09 PM

saw something below that made me wonder.

I would imagine they would NOT because aTm is in the SEC now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: would the SEC take Texas?

Feb 22, 2013, 4:13 PM

ACC had Texas, Texas Tech, OK & Ok. State asking for admission!! STUPID SWOFFIE said no and RUSHED to get Pitt and Syrac!!SWOFFIE MUST GO!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2013, 5:59 PM

LMAO! You obviously a disciple of York!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they would but TAMU would do some serious

Feb 22, 2013, 4:18 PM

protesting.

In fact the easiest most logical way for the SEC and BIG Ten to get to fourteen is for

Kansas and Missou to go to the BIG

and UT OK and OKState to go to the SEC.

The Pac 12 doesn't need to grow nor does the ACC

The big 12 goes away and the MWC absorbs the rest of the big 12 and becomes the best of the non power conferences.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

when will Missouri realize the mistake they made?

Feb 22, 2013, 4:22 PM

their football is going to flounder Kentucky-like forever.
baseball will be worse.
basketball is their only hope.....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Missou and Kansas to the BIG10; Texas,TAMU,OU,OKST to

Feb 22, 2013, 6:25 PM

SEC; WV to the ACC. Thats how it should have gone down.

a different question - does TX need the SEC?

Feb 22, 2013, 4:30 PM

Texas is one of the marquis names in college football. I wonder if they would feel compelled to join the SEC if offered.
If the Big XII were to dissolve, I could see the Horns in the PAC.

Oh, yeah, TX is an AAU school, so their academics would fit just fine with the ACC. Swoffy must go indeed!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They would kick TAM to the curb to have Texas!***

Feb 22, 2013, 4:31 PM

Re: They would kick TAM to the curb to have Texas!***

Feb 22, 2013, 5:31 PM

No, the SEC would not take Texas. Not now. Not ever. They know that Texas doesn't play well with others and has destroyed two conferences before, and they'll do it again. A&M and Arkansas can clearly explain that to the conference, and as long as they have that albatross known as the LHN they will not be attractive to any conference because that prevents a conference network due to tier 3 rights. Aside from that, the SEC already has the state of Texas and doesn't need them.

The culture at Texas, is not the culture of the rest of the state, it is a culture that feels the align with the Cals and Stanford's and that was the reason for them trying to broker a deal to the Pac-12. They don't want the SEC, and the SEC doesn't want them.

Feb 23, 2013, 1:21 AM

Not sure what you mean by "The culture at Texas, is not the culture of the rest of the state." Texas is an extremely diverse state. Houston is completely different than Austin, which is completely different than Dallas, which is completely different than etc., etc., etc. It's basically as big as the rest of the combined Southeast. And Texas is about to become a swing state politically in the next 8 years due to demographics, so nothing is a constant.

UT has always been the premiere school there. The number of UT fans greatly exceeds the number of eATMe fans. ATM fans are great people, for sure.

Feb 23, 2013, 10:45 PM

What I mean by ""The culture at Texas, is not the culture of the rest of the state." is that there's a reason us Texans refer to Austin as the People's Republic of Texas because of how left the city, not the surrounding suburbs, leans and it is echoed in the university. I know all to well from growing up in Austin. While Texas is very diverse, it will not become a swing state in the next 8 years, just like it hasn't in the past 20 as they've predicted. Texas was the premier school in the state for a long time, but that's also been on the declinefor years. Texas A&M has recently passed them in enrollment and is now the largest university in the state, the two schools are usually neck and neck in the public university rankings, both are AAU institutions, and as a result of passing Texas in enrollment, the alumni gap is closing as well.

Having said all that, the biggest reason that the SEC will never take Texas is in large part due to Texas' own arrogance. When A&M left the Big 12, Texas arrogantly said that the Big 12 would be ok without them. As a result, Texas is now saddled with Baylor, Tech, and TCU and will not be able to go anywhere without them, the Texas Legislature will make sure of that, just like they did when they Big 12 was formed. In 94, had it not been for the Legislature, A&M would've been in the SEC and Texas would've been headed out west.

As I said before though, Texas and it's leadership view themselves as west coast school (Their President Bill Powers is a Cal alum) and do not fit culturally with the SEC.

Feb 24, 2013, 2:33 AM

You really just have to wait and see. I say swing state by 2020. Never, ever heard it considered a swing state till now, and definitely not for the last 20 years as I've paid close attention for all that time.

It was fairly Democratic when I lived there (White and Richards as governors with a clown between them; Bentson and Gramm for senators). The only reason that George Jr. won in 1994 was because stupid people thought they were voting for Poppy Bush.

In 94, the SEC was not expanding any further. And A&M was going wherever their big brother was headed. But, yes. Texas does not fit culturally with the SEC. But Texas A&M, Missouri, Vanderbilt and Florida don't fit either. Missouri would jump ship for a B1G invite tomorrow.

Feb 24, 2013, 3:50 PM

Actually, in 94, the SEC was prepared to take A&M. Remember, A&M was king in Texas in the 80's and most of the 90's. the SEC saw the SWC was collapsing and was willing to make a move, they had originally wanted A&M and not Arky in 92. Do you know how the Texas legislature got A&M to go with Texas to the big 12? They funded Reed Arena. In Texas, state funds can't go to athletic facilities so that was a major back room deal. There's articles out there you're free to read that explain all the dealings. After that, Anne Richards and Bob Bullock got involved to make sure their alma maters, Baylor and Tech, were not left out of the love.

Feb 24, 2013, 11:15 PM

None of that sounds familiar, but I was pretty busy with work back then. We all pretty much made fun of A&M even when they were winning. Did have some pretty good times there with some girl (whose name I can't remember) in the 92-93 time frame.

Feb 24, 2013, 11:29 PM

I read a little to refresh. I had forgotten how A&M couldn't stay out of trouble then. Boosters desperate to win kept getting them on probation (sound familiar, USC?). If I was the SEC back then, I wouldn't have wanted any part of a program flirting with the death penalty.

Feb 22, 2013, 5:34 PM

IMO, yes. They took their little step child, just like they took ours.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, they would give Mizzou to the BIG (where Mizzou wanted

Feb 22, 2013, 6:15 PM

to be all along) and add Texas,Okla and OKST to West to get to 16. Move Bama and Auburn to the East. Who wouldn't make that deal?

They would walk backwards Nekkid to get Texas***

Feb 22, 2013, 6:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Texas brings too much trouble...

Feb 22, 2013, 8:05 PM

Now OU and/or OSU might be attractive to thee $ec

No one would turn down Texas***

Feb 23, 2013, 1:13 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No one would turn down Texas***

Feb 24, 2013, 3:46 AM

I think they would turn Texas away because UT demands a larger percentage of the conference payouts which has been a sore spot for years. UT justifies their larger payout because they have the biggest fanbase in Texas. This is the biggest reason why Texas A&M left for greener pastures in the SEC.

Feb 24, 2013, 11:38 AM

A better question is ... Why would Texas want to move to the SEC? They have the world by the tail on a downhill drag right where they are.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic