Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU- Just a bad move as this article says
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

FSU- Just a bad move as this article says

Nov 3, 2019, 10:17 PM

I couldnt agree more. Giving the guy less than 2 years when he got a real mess is just ridiculous. Great article touches on the key points https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-fsu-willie-taggart-mike-bianchi-1104-20191104-4uuuwnbty5cjldj3l2dg7gcp2m-story.html

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU- Just a bad move as this article says

Nov 3, 2019, 10:27 PM

I dont know anything. but it seems poor form if not just real bad decision making.

they pushed BB out, got Jimbo who oversaw the whole program go to the toilet, then high-tailed to Texas. so then they get this guy Taggart. I dont know much about his history, but they laid on him a pretty stiff challenge and gave him. what, less than two years to turn it all around?

they may feel justified, but were I looking to coach somewhere I think I'd pass on an FSU offer. honestly, the whole thing seems very cult-like to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2019, 10:43 PM

Willie has a great history up to the point of wins and losses. Great high school QB leading Manatee High School to state championships. Went to Either Eastern or western Kentucky and lead them to national championships and joined the Harbaugh coaching tree when he finished playing. Old man Harbaugh took him under his wing. Willie followed him to Stanford. And so forth and worked his way up. Powerful people in many parts of Florida or strong supporters of him as a coach and as a person. But clearly nothing about his head coaching career suggested that he was ready to take on the job at Florida State and make an immediate turn around. So therefore it makes no sense that he would be given such a ridiculous contract by the administration and it makes even less sense that they would pull the plug so fast.
But for the big donors that matter, they could not put up with the undisciplined play and unwatchable games with horrible coaching, horrible culture, and lack of high end blue chip recruits

Nov 4, 2019, 12:05 AM

And don't ya know that there are a lot of good replacement candidates who are just pumped to try and go win at a place where there's a chance you're not even getting 2 completed years to prove you can do it .
Of course , if the buyout is around what Willy got they'd likely take a flier .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May not be fair, or right

Nov 3, 2019, 10:52 PM [ in reply to Re: FSU- Just a bad move as this article says ]

but no school can afford "to" keep the coach when the stadium is barely half full

wish i could get fired and get $18mil

Nov 3, 2019, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Re: FSU- Just a bad move as this article says ]

For 2 years of coaching football rather poorly i might add. Seems like a pretty good gig even when you are bad

Nov 3, 2019, 10:30 PM

Yes. That article about sums it up. Incompetence of the administration and greed of the boosters. But looking at their current roster and looking at their incoming recruiting class, those boosters better put a lot of liquor in their luxury suites because they are suffer some serious beatdowns any time an elite team comes to town. And they will suffer more than a few head scratching losses to middle of the pack teams they had gotten used to stomping on years past.

FSU is following Tennessee's blueprint

Nov 3, 2019, 10:45 PM

They're about to go on a merry-go-round with new head coaches every 4-5 years and people in the stands asking "why" every home game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He wasn't the right guy for the job, but he still got a raw deal

Nov 3, 2019, 10:59 PM

except for the buyout, of course.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2019, 11:06 PM

Multiple head coaching changes in rapid succession can doom a program. Ask Tennessee or Miami how that works out. Firing Taggart short of the 4 year mark is a mistake.

FSU- is about to go Tennesseeing for a coach***

Nov 3, 2019, 11:09 PM

Nov 3, 2019, 11:34 PM

Folks, this isn't rocket science.

When Jimbo left, FSU was unprepared. Because Taggart had only one year at Oregon and would get flak for leaving so soon, his agent took advantage of FSU's desperation to negotiate a contract way over what Taggart deserved.

(1) Being unprepared and (2) overpaying Taggart were huge mistakes by FSU. It was well known for years FSU was his "dream job". That being the case, FSU had more leverage than they used.

At Oregon, a cloud immediately enveloped the program when Jimbo left because everyone knew Taggart's proclaimed feelings about FSU. There was a sense of inevitability that froze everything. Despite some concerning signs about the guy, UO fans liked Taggart because even he was better than the disgraced Mark Helfrich, who had the entire team quit on him. It took so long for the announcement, some UO fans thought he might stay. Looks like the delay was his agent playing hardball.

IMO, letting Taggart finish the season served no purpose. The was no evidence of a culture change and no plan to implement one. Nobody expected Taggart to win 10 games but the least he could do was turn the culture in the right direction and get the players to leave it all on the field.

Turning a firehose on a burning house doesn't return the house to good condition. It allows the process to start sooner. There was no use in a big-time program like FSU letting a dead coach walking finish the season. This wasn't a cruel, impatient decision. Race had nothing to do with it. It was a mercy killing.

Here is my problem with the article.

Nov 3, 2019, 11:57 PM

Disclaimer: I am one of the few Noles who does not totally and completely despise Bianchi. Most Nole fans think he is a Gator lover and will attack any other school at every opportunity. I don't. I agree with some of what he says, disagree with others. He's a columnist, giving his opinion.

Here is my disagreement. He says hiring Willie was a mistake. There is nothing in that article that would lead me to believe that he thinks Willie can right the ship. But, he doesn't want Willie fired. Isn't that akin to the old poker axiom warning against "throwing good money after bad"?

A few years ago when Florida fired Ron Zook the week before the FSU game, the Florida AD said that he learned form a guy many years ago, "That which you must do eventually, do immediately." At that time, Bianchi praised the decision to fire Zook.

Seems like Bianchi is saying, "Yeah, you are gonna fire him, but wait and have another horrible season before you do."

Note: I posted on this board just a week or less ago that I didn't think Taggart would be fired because I didn't think FSU could afford to and if we did we couldn't get anyone worth his salt to replace him. Well, we found the money. Only time will tell if we can find the right coach.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here is my problem with the article.

Nov 4, 2019, 12:14 AM

Not sure if you are an NBA fan, but I live in Houston and remember Bianchi when he wrote about the Tracy McGrady for Steve Francis trade 15 years ago. He seemed like a complete tool at the time.

Although I disagree with him, this article is much better written than what I expected from him. Perhaps he's matured some.

Nov 4, 2019, 12:29 AM

If anyone here cares about the Oregon viewpoint on Willie Taggart, this write-up says it pretty well.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/11/canzano-willie-taggarts-firing-leaves-oregon-ducks-as-the-only-winner.html

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic