Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wind Farms Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Wind Farms Question

Feb 18, 2021, 3:28 PM

I understand that environmentalists like wind farms because they feel it’s less impact on the environment. How about the aesthetics of the land? Last year my wife and I drove through the beautiful state of Michigan. We came upon mile after mile after mile of wind farms. It made to sick to my gut to see those ugly things scarring the landscape. I really hope we don’t see more of those hideous things in the future.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just slap some Trump bumper stickers on em

Feb 18, 2021, 3:32 PM

and they'll be all over red states before you know it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have never been to Michigan

Feb 18, 2021, 3:32 PM

But I have been to central and northern Ohio. I assume Michigan can't be too different from that unless you're on the lakes. Therefore... you cannot get much worse than what is already there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Re: I have never been to Michigan

Feb 18, 2021, 3:37 PM

Lol. I hear you. We spent our vacation there last year. People asked “why???” I thought it was beautiful. I loved the entire state. I’ve never lived outside of the Carolinas.

Feb 18, 2021, 3:57 PM

You make it up into the UP? I’ve heard that is especially beautiful.

Feb 18, 2021, 4:06 PM

I was born in Michigan.

I lived in the UP, back in the day.

Feb 18, 2021, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I have never been to Michigan ]

We did go to the UP. Absolutely beautiful up there. People were great too.

Former coworker

Feb 18, 2021, 5:00 PM

Born and raised in Atlanta area married a girl from the UP. Her family runs a business (or businesses) in either Mackinaw or maybe Mackinac Island...not 100% sure which. Anyway, he quit to go work for her father...last I heard he was trying to adjust to the winter and that was not going too well...ha!

Re: Former coworker

Feb 18, 2021, 5:08 PM

Yeah everybody up there said winters are brutal. I was talking to a bunch of locals and they were talking about their winter sports like snow mobile. (I really want to go do that). Anyway, I said we have winter sports. They said “what?? In SC?” I said sure we do , we call it golf.

Feb 18, 2021, 8:50 PM

Yeah, I lived in Houghton...and winters are unreal. I actually moved to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin when I was 8 (Leonardo DeCaprio did a speech about that in Titanic when he was taking off his boots when Rose was about to jump off the ship when he first met her), and Chippewa Falls was colder, but the lake-effect snow in the UP was far worse, the skies would just open up and unload. You'd see guys out in the middle of the night frantically shoveling snow accumulation off their roofs to try to get the weight off them so they wouldn't cave in, and the snowbanks where the plows had cleared the road would hit 15+ feet by mid-winter.

Then of course the mining industry and auto industry and US steel all went under, basically at once, the entire Rust Belt collapsed, and everybody headed South, my family included. This was the late '80's.

Of course, there's a cool sort of freedom up there too. It's still beautiful country, especially in the UP. Once you get the other side of that giant bridge it's just sorta God's Wilderness.

Feb 18, 2021, 8:56 PM

I think you described it perfectly. There’s a sort of freedom up there. Awesome wilderness. Dang now you’ve got me wanting to go back up there.

Feb 19, 2021, 6:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Former coworker ]

sounds like my first and only winter in New Hamshire. I spent more time shoveling my car in and out of my street parking spot because I thought it wise to live in Downtown Portsmouth in a 250-year-old building.. The plows would just flat out bury you. Sometimes just opening your door to start your engine was a chore. Heck, starrting your engine could be a chore.

One thing I do remember was that after a good snow, every other day, people all helped each other out and the local community was much tighter. I shoveled the walks of the disabled veteran in the basement unit, and my neighbor used to help me dig my car out in the morning with the snowplow attachment for his truck..

Anyway, I never remember losing power or water, or the roads not being cleared. You had to not be a #### and leave your water running so your pipes did not freeze, but that was it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Once you get away from Detroit metroplex

Feb 18, 2021, 3:44 PM [ in reply to I have never been to Michigan ]

Michigan is very pretty. I saw that wind farm area, literally a couple hundred of them.

Re: Wind Farms Question

Feb 18, 2021, 3:38 PM

You guys don't know...

Wind farms are just for dispersing chemicals. The government is doing experiments on all of us. They don't generate electricity. It's all a hoax - check the internet.

Feb 18, 2021, 3:45 PM

I don't think they'll be much more than a temporary thing, truly.

For renewables I think solar/battery is the way to do it, and I think over the long term the grid is going to get filled in with thorium nuclear plants. It's just that the word "nuclear" has such a bad rap right now I don't think the public realize that the eggheads invented a much safer form of nuclear with almost none of the drawbacks way back in the '70's, we just never got around to building it because the thorium track didn't also give us the weapons-grade plutonium our military needed.

Now we've got ample amounts of the that, enough that we can blow up the world more than enough times to make our rocket command guys happy, we've gotta seriously do something about our crappy grid. So let's build that better safer more energy-efficient form of nuclear, you know?

I think everything's basically nuclear-powered by 2050, except for the stuff where solar/battery was cost-effective and got in at. Wind is probably a phase unless it gets more cost-efficient, or unless our battery storage costs do.

Feb 18, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quo

I read a bit about thorium on your prodding and it seems like start up costs are extremely high. I am not so sure everyone will get onboard that train - and especially as quickly as you would like. Maybe, if China has some success with them we will follow suit. But not by 2050.

Feb 18, 2021, 4:25 PM

I read somewhere that off the coast of Martha Vineyard was a great place to put a wind farm but the democrats did not want the unsightly things there. It is like most of the Republicans in SC said to drill baby drill in Alaska and other places but didn't want to drill off the coast of SC.

Hyprocrite much!

Feb 18, 2021, 5:58 PM

I want to drill off the coast of Carolina, because I’m not a hypocrite.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, speak for yourself...

Feb 18, 2021, 6:17 PM

The State of SC has shouldered more than its share of the nation’s toxic and hazardous waste over the years. They can take their oil rigs, nuclear waste, etc. and stick it up their ###.

Re: Well, speak for yourself...

Feb 18, 2021, 8:33 PM

I lived in Santa Barbara for a while about 20 years after their big oil spill. There was still tar balls all over the beach - and my feet.

Re: Well, speak for yourself...

Feb 18, 2021, 10:14 PM

Feb 18, 2021, 8:27 PM

I don't think that wind turbines are ugly. They are not as pretty as trees, but they beat the hello out of Billboards.

Feb 18, 2021, 8:39 PM

I absolutely agree about the billboards. Hate them!! But I also hated seeing mile after mile of wind farms. It just looks sort of “alien” to me.

Feb 18, 2021, 10:11 PM

Maybe it is one of those things we could get more use to. I would gladly trade wind turbines for smokestacks.

Feb 18, 2021, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Wind Farms Question ]

Before you get to the question of aesthetics, who would support telling a property owner they cannot put a windmill on their land?

Feb 18, 2021, 10:27 PM

I would not, but I can see where some zoning type issues might complicate that.

Feb 19, 2021, 6:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Wind Farms Question ]

I hate the things but I would not support telling the land owner he can’t do it. I hate cell towers too. I guess I was born in the wrong century.

They should disguise them to look like trees

Feb 19, 2021, 10:31 AM

Like those single pole cell towers off I85 in Charlotte... those things blend in nicely

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic