Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
not good when qback has more rushing atempts than running ba
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

not good when qback has more rushing atempts than running ba

Aug 8, 2018, 7:55 PM

last year

etiennee 107
fiester 107
bryant 192

btw gained less yards than either.

we need qb that can pas the ball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not good when qback has more rushing atempts than running ba

Aug 8, 2018, 8:07 PM

KB passed 398 times, or 2 passes for every run. What should the ratio be?

dw4 had 579 attempts, 388 completions his last year

Aug 8, 2018, 8:11 PM

dw4 had 579 attempts, 388 completions his last year only 165 attempts.

Re: dw4 had 579 attempts, 388 completions his last year

Aug 8, 2018, 8:11 PM

only 165 rushes

and he had 7 TDs vs 5 ints through the fsu game

Aug 8, 2018, 8:15 PM

very bad for a qb..heck three of his 13 tds total came against the citadel

Aug 8, 2018, 8:16 PM

We'll tell dabo. This crap is getting old.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2018, 8:23 PM

Rush attempts are not just designed runs. Sacks come in and count as rushes for negative yards as well as if he scrambles and runs for a gain or a loss "attempts" aren't always on purpose.

Im surprised this hasn’t been discussed b4

Aug 8, 2018, 8:24 PM

Oh wait, it has, like 576 times.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2018, 8:31 PM

We had multiple running backs take carries last year. The group exceeded the carries of QB. I get your point but the QB didn’t carry more than (RB.) Also some QB carries are forced.

We played four RBs and one QB.***

Aug 8, 2018, 9:23 PM

Aug 9, 2018, 7:28 AM

Yeah, maybe if the ratio were different we could win ten or more games in a season.

But we get it, you're out in Nebraska and apparently very bored. Maybe you could give us an update on the ratio of cornstalks to crows. It's every bit as relevant to the new season.

Aug 9, 2018, 7:37 AM

... Not when your leading QB is still over throwing in the spring game, and now being reported over throwing in Fall camp, FWIW.

Aug 9, 2018, 7:50 AM

who are Etiennea and Fester ?

Aug 9, 2018, 8:04 AM

I have no idea, didn't post the original post. Maybe ask him.

I'm not saying KB should be the starter or not, but

Aug 9, 2018, 7:54 AM

your logic is flawed x2.

Sacks (as was pointed out) count as attempts and negative yards.

Just going by the numbers you presented....including sacks....the RB position ran 214 times and the QB had 192 attempts.

The first link I clicked said Choice and Fuller combined for 125 attempts.

Re: I'm not saying KB should be the starter or not, but

Aug 9, 2018, 8:10 AM

That logic is flawed too. Last I recall, doesn't RB's getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage also count as attempts and negative yards? Or is there a different rule for them? If you plan to take away KB's tackles behind the line before he passed the ball, which he's still a ball carrier until then, shouldn't that also be removed for the RB's if comparing to the RB's?

Aug 9, 2018, 7:58 AM

How many games did we win ? Sounds pretty good to me

FYI you can find KB's rushing numbers excluding sacks here

Aug 9, 2018, 8:11 AM

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2017-clemson-advanced-statistical-profile

He had 166 carries for 854 yards (5.1 ypc) and 11 TDs. He got sacked 26 times for -189 yards. I don't know how many more of those runs were scrambles.

*Thank you Brandon Rink for reminding me about this site.

Re: FYI you can find KB's rushing numbers excluding sacks here

Aug 9, 2018, 8:13 AM

Ok, now remove the negative yards and tackles behind the line of scrimmage for the RB's, just so it's a fair comparison. You can't just classify all sacks as passes... What if he was running out of the pocket will the ball and got sacked? To really make that logic work, you'd have to study how many of those sacks was he running around with it, which is still carrying the ball, vs how many was he attempting a throw and hit before the ball was thrown (but in a passing stance).

I'm just posting the info here, but is the manner in

Aug 9, 2018, 8:22 AM

which the sack occurs really important? The key part is that the QB was asked to drop back and throw the ball instead of run or hand off. What transpires after that is all the result of a passing play, not a rushing play. Attempting to escape the pocket and scramble for positive yardage doesn't make it a called run.

The NFL classifies all sacks as negative team passing yards, and college should really follow suit at some point.

Re: I'm just posting the info here, but is the manner in

Aug 9, 2018, 10:04 AM

Yes, it is important....you can't count him scrambling around because he is under pressure with a guy chasing him as a "pass". It's not a pass until it leaves his hands or he is at least in a stance for a pass. Backing up, then choosing to scramble toward the sidelines is still a rush until he brings that arm back to pass the ball.

That's been the argument of that theory, that sacks should count under passing, not rushing. But then you are treating all QB's as pass first, not accounting for called runs of QB's that are stopped behind the line of scrimmage, which is still a sack.

Think of when Shaq Lawson sacked Baker Mayfield in the playoffs, like 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage...was that Baker scrambling around (i.e still carrying the ball, not in process/stance of a pass when hit) or was that Baker passing? Or if Bryant takes the ball himself, runs into a lineman, then gets drawn backwards in a tackle 3 yards behind the line... That would be a rushing sack.

Mostly seems like semantics to me, but...

Aug 9, 2018, 11:51 AM

Let's just forget about KB and say you have two QBs: Russell Wilson and Tom Brady. If Tom Brady drops back and feels backside pressure he's going to either get rid of the ball in the area of one of his WRs or he's going to tuck himself into the fetal position and take the sack. If Russell Wilson feels back side pressure he's probably going to attempt to take off to extend the play. He may end up throwing the ball outside the pocket or running for positive yardage, but he may also get chased down and tackled behind the line of scrimmage. Why is that not a sack? It's a negative rushing play for Wilson simply because he's a very mobile QB that's able to escape the pocket?

I think it's usually pretty easy to determine if a play was a called pass or a called run. When we run the QB draw with Bryant he drops back but he never sets his body like he's going to throw the ball.

Re: I'm just posting the info here, but is the manner in

Aug 9, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to I'm just posting the info here, but is the manner in ]

Another way to think about it is look at the rules of what is considered a pass or incomplete pass. To be considered one, it had to be in forward motion. Let's say the QB is hit and drops the ball out before the arm moves forward, do they call that an incomplete pass ..or a fumble, which means he's still considered at that point a carrier of the ball, not a passer?

Aug 9, 2018, 8:50 AM

Looks like you need first grade English.

Why so pithy?

Aug 9, 2018, 12:02 PM

So our Nebraskan Tiger brother used the wrong tense of a word, big deal! If that is all you can add you should get back to the "perfect Grammer" world from whence you came.

Re: Why does it matter?

Aug 9, 2018, 1:10 PM

I think the better analysis would be looking at KB's rushing effectiveness early in the season--like vs Auburn, when he had 3 vital runs for us--compared to later in the year, when even losing teams like USuC gameplanned to stop him.
Theoretically, taking away the QB run should leave the RB option open, but apparently Kelly didn't read that that way very often.
Kelly needs to be more skilled and confident in using that third option--pass--or LBs are gonna be waiting for him at the LoS all year long.
Can we return to the CFP with Kelly holding the ball all year? Of course. But why should we?

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic