Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do some people say, "Dabo is a great recruiter, but not
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 144
| visibility 1

Why do some people say, "Dabo is a great recruiter, but not

Jul 13, 2012, 10:54 PM

so much an x's and o's coach".

Where does that even come from?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do some people say, "Dabo is a great recruiter, but not

Jul 13, 2012, 10:59 PM

Stupidity!!

Mainly because he lets his assistants have a ton of coaching

Jul 13, 2012, 11:01 PM

power, which can be an awesome or terrible thing.

Dabo lets his assistants call the plays, which leads people to believe its not his strong suit. Honestly, we can't really tell either way.

When Steele started sucking, he didn't take the clipboard out of his hand and begin calling plays. However, when the game was on the line and Morris was at the helm, Dabo didn't try and take the clipboard from him either.

He prefers a big picture style of coaching. This is different from say Dooley(Tenn), who prefers to micromanage. Neither is better or worse, but Dabo has chosen to let his Assistants rule their playbook, and I'm fine with that decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't disagree with that.***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:12 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I bet if someone tried hard enough they could

Jul 13, 2012, 11:20 PM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt. I guess I shoulda said "I can't . . . ".***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:27 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Mainly because he lets his assistants have a ton of coaching

Jul 14, 2012, 4:06 AM [ in reply to Mainly because he lets his assistants have a ton of coaching ]

just like he gave napier a long leash?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo's way is the best way to get good assistants

Jul 14, 2012, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Mainly because he lets his assistants have a ton of coaching ]

Talented assistants will not work for a micromanager.

unless they think they are head coach in waiting

Jul 16, 2012, 12:19 PM

Sometimes they will work under control freak if they look like they are about to retire

Jul 13, 2012, 11:07 PM

It comes from people who wish they knew enough to be a D1 Head Coach.
It comes from people who were against him getting the head coaching job in the first place, and instead of realizing that they made a mistake, now they say that "he is a great recruiter, but he is not an X and O guy."

Dabo, in my opinion is both, great recruiter and great head coach.

Most people who say that fall into two categories:

Jul 13, 2012, 11:10 PM

1. They don't like Dabo and it makes it sound like they are giving and honest, fair-minded critique by acknowledging his obvious strength as a recruiter, while accomplishing their true purpose by using some of our failures as proof that he's not really a good x and o coach.

2. Not being able to analyze any deeper or being unwilling to consider other possibilities, they parrot the "not a good x and o coach" mantra they've heard from others.

- H. L. Mencken

Good call.***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:15 PM

or 3. Steve Spurrier***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Most people who say that fall into two categories: ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Or the 3rd category: People understand football and

Jul 14, 2012, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Most people who say that fall into two categories: ]

realize that Dabo lacks experience with Xs and Os from a coaching perspective.

The people that think Dabo's a great Xs and Os guy fall into 1 category, ignorant football minds.

Because internet message boards are full of college

Jul 15, 2012, 11:39 PM

football coaches. :/ Xbox isn't a good source of football coaching knowledge.

Ford wasn't an " X and O guy" either as I recall...

Jul 14, 2012, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Most people who say that fall into two categories: ]

he turned out pretty good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because year before last if he was an offensive

Jul 13, 2012, 11:11 PM

X's and O's coach he would have taken over play calling completely, instead of the partial hodgepodge which was dismal. If the D wasn't as good as it was they would have been hard pressed to win a handful of games IMO.

That's ridiculous.***

Re: That's ridiculous.***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:51 PM

Did you watch games in 2010??? Napier didnt have full control and thats pretty much common knowledge and yes the defense did win us a bunch of games that year

Wild imagination and sheer speculation...

Jul 14, 2012, 12:25 AM

..disproves nothing. Every coach in America has had some rough seasons, so I guess by your "logic" there are no coaches who understand x's and o's.

Ok cool. At least we understand each other now.

Re: Wild imagination and sheer speculation...

Jul 14, 2012, 12:55 AM

seriously dude you are completely delusional

Re: Wild imagination and sheer speculation...

Jul 15, 2012, 9:59 PM

Yes he is and it is a fact that Dabo was sticking his head into our Offense that year.

I have become a much bigger Dabo fan now that he is starting to play off of his strengths. This change started with the hire of Morris. He now lets the guys he hired for the Xs and Os do their jobs and he does what he is GREAT at Motivation and recruiting.

Stanley are you going to stop signing on Matty and your other SCOKs since you cant downvote anymore hahaha.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Because year before last if he was an offensive

Jul 15, 2012, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Because year before last if he was an offensive ]

coot

I don't care. Whatever works.

Many great coaches that never called plays, Bobby Bowden comes to mind.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Jul 14, 2012, 12:05 AM

Some would prefer to just eat grass. Does TB come to mind:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2012, 11:22 PM

Because it is true...now doesnt mean he doesnt know football but he will never be mistaken for an offensive genuis

It's not true simply because you say it is...

Jul 13, 2012, 11:32 PM

I asked the question so the people who make that claim could provide some tangible evidence. You got any?

Isn't it past your bed time stanley?***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:36 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's not true simply because you say it is...

Jul 13, 2012, 11:37 PM [ in reply to It's not true simply because you say it is... ]

lol ok man

So that's all? Really??***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:38 PM

Why don't you give us some "evidence" as to why he is a good

Jul 13, 2012, 11:41 PM

X's and O's coach. Chief.

2 division tiltles in 3 years. ACC Champions. Stuff like

Jul 13, 2012, 11:46 PM

that. It seems to me he has a pretty keen understanding of the game for a guy only 3 years into head coaching. Not that that was the question though.

HE DOESN'T CALL THE PLAYS. WAKE UP!

Jul 13, 2012, 11:49 PM

You cannot be this dumb can you? That's a rhetorical question by the way.

There is a reason why he does not call the plays himself. That's not saying he isn't a good coach it just shows that he would rather hire guys who have spent more time as OC's to call the plays for him. It's a smart move for him.

LOL. You said "dumb"...

Logic and you just don't get along. You have no reasoning or factual backing for saying Dabo doesn't understand x's and o's (both sides of the ball), but apparently you're too "dumb" to get it. No offense, just using your word.

Are you mad?

No I'm not mad. Just wondering where your parents are.***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:53 PM

^^"You might be dumb if..."***

The implication of the OP was that Dabo is not a good x and

Jul 14, 2012, 12:00 AM [ in reply to HE DOESN'T CALL THE PLAYS. WAKE UP! ]

o coach.

Your argument appears to be that because he isn't and never has been and OC and/or that he doesn't call offensive plays, but instead has turned those duties over to one of the best minds in the business, we can conclude that Dabo is not a good x and o coach.

The conclusion simply doers not follow the premise.

Morris is almost certainly a better OC than Dabo, and better equipped to handle the playcalling in his own offense. That does not mean that Dabo is not a good x and o guy, or has a poor grasp of that part of the job. He just realizes that there are people who do that better.

There are lots of great coaches, who I am sure have a great grasp of the x's and o's, but don't call the plays.

- H. L. Mencken

Exactly, Smiling. Simple premise to those with some sense.***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:02 AM

If dabo is such a good X's and O's guy why are we spending

Jul 14, 2012, 12:04 AM

Over 2 millions dollars annually for other people to call plays? Simple question little Stanley.

So you want Dabo to call the offense and defense in order ?

Jul 14, 2012, 12:06 AM

to prove he understands the game? Really??

This is a riot!

You misspelled "I have nothing"***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:08 AM

So weak.***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:09 AM

Re: So you want Dabo to call the offense and defense in order ?

Jul 14, 2012, 12:57 AM [ in reply to So you want Dabo to call the offense and defense in order ? ]

spurrier calls his own plays so does holgersen...harbaugh did it at stanford...should I continue or do you get the point?

Because he feels Morris is better than him. Morris is

Jul 14, 2012, 12:09 AM [ in reply to If dabo is such a good X's and O's guy why are we spending ]

probably better than 90% of the coaches out there.

- H. L. Mencken

Thanks for validating***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:10 AM

Bizarre. Simply bizarre.***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:17 AM

Re: If dabo is such a good X's and O's guy why are we spending

Jul 14, 2012, 12:27 AM [ in reply to If dabo is such a good X's and O's guy why are we spending ]

There you go again. Most everyone in this thread has concluded that Dabo isn't an Xs and Os coach, but is a good coach. And here you come back with the X & O bull chit trying to make your point more viable. OK, he is just a good coach. That is more than most schools have, Period....

Nobody has said he is not a good coach.

Jul 14, 2012, 12:29 AM

I think we can all agree he knows what he is doing but he is definitely better at recruiting than calling plays considering he only does one of the two.

If he doesn't do one of the two - how do you know he isn't

Jul 14, 2012, 3:15 PM

good at it ?

Based on Napier and the proported taking over play calling at key moments ??? We aren't even certain it happened and we surely don't know what plays or series' he called . . .

Besides - I don't even get the point of the OP . . . how in the world would anybody "prove" whether he is or isn't a good x's and o's guy ? ? ? Pure speculation and subjectivity . . .

Silly . . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: If dabo is such a good X's and O's guy why are we spending

Jul 14, 2012, 1:05 AM [ in reply to If dabo is such a good X's and O's guy why are we spending ]

Greatest quote from Coach Ford You have to Have Great assistance and Great cordinators to win Coach Ford never called plays in his entire coaching career he was a position coach then a D1 HC he coached the O-Line

Oh do you know who resigned as DC when coach Ford was named HC the Great Mickey of FSU defense

If you look back at Dabo's time as a wide reciever coach every year he had an all ACC reciever and none of those were 5 stars or 4 stars coming out of HS so stop all the DANG whining and suck it

What are you talking about?***

Jul 14, 2012, 1:14 AM

Punctuation marks. Use them.***

Jul 16, 2012, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: If dabo is such a good X's and O's guy why are we spending ]

I know that when he did take over play calling for a short

Jul 14, 2012, 12:03 AM [ in reply to The implication of the OP was that Dabo is not a good x and ]

period of time in 2010 that there was a criticism for some of his moves. But like you said, he is not as good of an X's and O's guy as Morris so why are we even having this discussion? The reason why you hire guys underneath you to call plays and dial it up is because you have full confidence in them to get the job done.

You should have stopped at "I know.."

Jul 14, 2012, 12:08 AM

You don't know. Anything. And you're lost. Completely lost. If you can't understand Smiling's perfect explanation, then there's no hope for you.

You win Stanley.***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:10 AM

Well, the discussion was about why people think Dabo

Jul 14, 2012, 12:08 AM [ in reply to I know that when he did take over play calling for a short ]

is not a good x and o coach. I am simply saying that there is no real evidence to support that notion. Now, I'm not saying he is a great x and o coach, just that there is no reason to think he's not, and the fact that he does not call plays or hired a great OC in no way supports that position.

- H. L. Mencken

Isnt it weird how some people can't grasp it? I know you're

Jul 14, 2012, 12:12 AM

not the type of guy who gets involved in these silly back and forth things, but you have to admit - it's weird how some folks can't grasp simple logic.

Like you said there is a reason why morris calls the shots***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:13 AM [ in reply to Well, the discussion was about why people think Dabo ]

Maybe because he's the offensive coordinator?...

But then again, that provides ZERO evidence that Dabo doesn't understand x's and o's.

You're right Stanley. You've been right all along.***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:18 AM

Thanks man, but the only thing I'm right about here is that

Jul 14, 2012, 12:21 AM

you have nothing to back your (apparent) belief that Dabo doesn't understand x's and o's. Again, I urge you to read Smiling's perfect explanation. If you can't understand that, then you should probably just move on.

Alright will do Stanley***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:24 AM

Why even reply?

Jul 14, 2012, 12:26 AM

Either you have something tangible or you don't. So far you've had ZERO. Why even make the grade school comments?

Stanley Steamer***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:27 AM

Whatever helps you sleep tonight.***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:29 AM

Re: Maybe because he's the offensive coordinator?...

Jul 15, 2012, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Maybe because he's the offensive coordinator?... ]

The evidence was when he tried to take over our Offense in 2010 and it was an absolute disaster. We had no identity and looked awful.

null

And what does that prove?***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:21 AM [ in reply to Like you said there is a reason why morris calls the shots*** ]

- H. L. Mencken

That he is the offensive coordinator***

LOL.***

Re: Well, the discussion was about why people think Dabo

Jul 14, 2012, 12:38 AM [ in reply to Well, the discussion was about why people think Dabo ]

### smiling, you are going to screw it all up again. LMAO!!!

Re: I know that when he did take over play calling for a short

Jul 14, 2012, 12:31 AM [ in reply to I know that when he did take over play calling for a short ]

Now you're coming around:)

Re: The implication of the OP was that Dabo is not a good x and

Jul 14, 2012, 10:30 PM [ in reply to The implication of the OP was that Dabo is not a good x and ]

Good post. I totally agree Smiling Tiger!

Re: Why don't you give us some "evidence" as to why he is a good

Jul 14, 2012, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Why don't you give us some "evidence" as to why he is a good ]

I remember several times during the Bowden era...they were interviewing Tommy and asked him about a play that worked well and he said Dabo suggested it in meetings. Also, he went and found Chad Morris. I think that says something about his knowledge of the x's and o's.

Re: It's not true simply because you say it is...

Jul 14, 2012, 12:18 AM [ in reply to It's not true simply because you say it is... ]

A boat load of talent waiting to break loose. Two Atlantic titles, and one acc championship. And two very good coordinators in just Three years. Most were saying at the time he was hired that he deserved Four years to prove his worth. He have went beyond of proving his worth in much less time. How much more would someone need to do to prove that Dabo was the right choice. In just Three years he has done more than any coach since Danny Ford is less time. What more again would someone have to do to prove their worth. Dabo is a ### good HC. And it wouldn't matter if he pissed on both his feet when ever he pissed. He can do what he was hired to do, He can Coach....

You are missing the question entirely

Jul 14, 2012, 12:32 AM

Nobody is saying that he isnt and has not done a good job.

LOL. That's hilarious...

Jul 14, 2012, 12:36 AM

"You are missing the question entirely".

That's rich!

Learn how to use quotes correct Stanley.***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:40 AM

The fact that hes never called plays at a OC in college?***

And?***

Awesome rebuttal. Don't hold yourself back.

Jul 13, 2012, 11:34 PM

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not but its hard to label a guy a good X's and O's coach when he's never had to call plays.

And?

It wasn't meant as a rebuttal... because you didn't provide

Jul 13, 2012, 11:37 PM

anything to rebut. Just because he never called plays (other than spring games) doesn't mean he doesn't understand x's and o's. There is zero logic in that statement.

He doesn't call plays during the spring games? Do you ever

Jul 13, 2012, 11:40 PM

Actually attend the spring games or practices in general? Coach swinney does not call plays. Nor has he ever since he has been in coaching. X's and O's are about being able ###### up plays and schemes, neither of which he has done. That is why he hires guys to call the plays under him. This is common knowledge for most.

You're getting nowhere...

Jul 13, 2012, 11:43 PM

Dabo was OC during several spring games when Bowden was coach. Apparently YOU weren't watching.

And again, just because he's never been an OC or DC means absolutely nothing in regards to his understanding of x's and o's.

You can't be serious. You are basing his offensive

Jul 13, 2012, 11:47 PM

play calling based off of calling plays during a spring game as a WR's coach.

Look here man, You apparently already made up your mind on this issue before you even asked the question based on your previous statements to others opinions. Coach swinney is and will always be known as a great recruiter but when it comes to X's and O's there is a reason why he is paying a guy 1.3 million dollars to call plays for him. It's not a knock on Coach Swinney but it is reality. Something you apparently are not equipped with yet. Once again Stanley, isn't it passed your bed time?

What are you even talking about?....

Jul 13, 2012, 11:58 PM

I'm saying Dabo has a good understanding of x's and o's because he's won 2 out of 3 division titles and an ACC Championship in his first 3 year of coaching, ever, and you're saying he's not a good x's and o's coach because he doesn't call plays. Excuse while I laugh at your "logic". It's hilarious you keep slinging grade school insults, yet you make no sense whatsoever.

Little Stanley***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:59 PM

So, so weak.***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:13 AM

Re: He doesn't call plays during the spring games? Do you ever

Jul 13, 2012, 11:43 PM [ in reply to He doesn't call plays during the spring games? Do you ever ]

Its pointless to argue with some on here who have their head up dabo's butt...Understanding offense and being able to design an offensive scheme and call plays are two different things...I know dabo is no idiot and I said that but he isnt a chad morris or steve spurrier but that doesnt make him a bad coach but some on here cant accept reality

That's nuts...

Jul 13, 2012, 11:49 PM

Why do you keep referring to playcalling? I'm asking the question - what is it that makes some guys (like you, apparently) say that Dabo is not a good x's and o's coach? To me, that infers understanding the game on both sides of the ball. We don't know if Dabo could call plays or not, but then again, that's not the question. And it has nothing to do with having my head up Dabo's butt. That's just dumb.

I feel bad for you honestly I do. Poor kid.***

You make zero sense.***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:52 PM

Re: That's nuts...

Jul 13, 2012, 11:52 PM [ in reply to That's nuts... ]

Dude you are unbelievable...not wasting any more of my time

Cool. So you have nothing. Noted.***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:54 PM

Re: Cool. So you have nothing. Noted.***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:58 PM

Yeah if you say so....just love it when the youngsters get on the computer

Nothing, again. And I thought you said you were done?***

Re: That's nuts...

Jul 14, 2012, 2:06 PM [ in reply to That's nuts... ]

Play calling Stanley is what most people refer to as X's and O's. Give it a rest. You lost the argument with your question.The reason people think the way they do,per you,is because he does not do it. SIMPLE!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:50 PM [ in reply to Re: He doesn't call plays during the spring games? Do you ever ]

Can you at least try?....

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=12466299

Go to bed Dabo***

Jul 13, 2012, 11:55 PM

You misspelled...

"I have nothing".

Don't ever worry about that Bull Chit. You will have those that want to come around to Dabo's side. But they wouldn't in h&ll or high water ever admit that Dabo is just an intelligent good decision maker when it comes to making the right decisions. They will always say after 44 NCs that it was Coach Morris or BV that did all the winning. And never give Dabo one thread of credit of putting them where they are at now. It just isn't going to happen. But that is OK b/c they are coming around to accepting him as the Clemson HC. You gotta start some where!!!:)

Some of you should try and come out to some practices***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:00 AM

LOL. What are you talking about?

Jul 14, 2012, 12:15 AM

What has Dabo shown you in practices that would lead you to believe he doesn't understand x's and o's?

Do you know what "tangible" means?

You win Stanley. Time to go to bed now.***

So far I am clearly winning.

Jul 14, 2012, 12:19 AM

Not ready to go to bed though. Perhaps you should..since you have nothing but completely illogical nonsense? But hey, at least you can call me "little". LOL.

Another good one Stanley, you are on a roll.***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:21 AM

WEAK.***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:22 AM

"weak, so weak" !!***

Weaker still.***

Re: So far I am clearly winning.

Jul 14, 2012, 12:53 AM [ in reply to So far I am clearly winning. ]

only in your own mind...just cause you dont accept someones answer doesnt make you right

Jul 14, 2012, 12:01 AM

If Dabo was a great offensive play caller why would he go out and get a guy like Chad Morris to completely bring in and install his own scheme? Why not call plays himself or get a young guy like Billy Napier and control him? Why? Because he did that and they failed. Bringing in a guy like Morris was genius and proves Dabo as being a great CEO type coach.

When Dabo took over play calling late in 2010 we stunk same as early in 2010. Maybe you don't remember.

There's nothing wrong with giving credit where credit is due and calling it like it is in other areas. Dabo is great at recruiting and hiring. He's done nothing and failed when calling plays. I know you have the biggest man crush of anyone here on Dabo but at least try to be realistic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry, but...

Jul 14, 2012, 12:05 AM

Was the question, "Is Dabo a good playcaller"?

No. It wasn't. Not that we know the answer to that anyway. Speaking of that though, where in hades do you get the notion Dabo too over playcalling in 2010???

I know a lot of things that you don't little Stanley***

Jul 14, 2012, 12:06 AM

Like what?

Jul 14, 2012, 12:09 AM

I'm curious now, based on your inability to understand simple logic.

Re: I'm sorry, but...

Jul 15, 2012, 7:13 PM [ in reply to I'm sorry, but... ]

Yo asked why are people saying he isnt an x's and o's coach. I just told you why he isn't.

Dabo calling plays in 2010 is common knowledge. He admitted as much.

Now why don't you answer my questions?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is great at recruiting, if he was great at hiring he

Jul 14, 2012, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Why do some people say, "Dabo is a great recruiter, but not ]

wouldn't have been forced to retool his staff twice in only 3 years including significant staff changes like OL coach and both coordinators. YET we still won the ACC and the division twice despite the crappy coaching. Why? B/C we have great talent (1st brought in by TB) and the ACC just flat sucks. Yet outside the ACC we suck, plus still struggle some in the ACC as well, particularly with a far less talented GT.

Re: He is great at recruiting, if he was great at hiring he

Jul 14, 2012, 1:13 AM

HOLD ON SCOOTER Don't Go to speaking without thinking, he couldn't revamp the entire staff right off the bat they all had buy outs he just got through paying out the OC and DC and also Steele's resume is awsome!

Rightttttt. Coaches are fired all the time. Dabo could have

Jul 14, 2012, 2:01 AM

hired anyone he wanted, he was the new HC. Typically when the HC is fired the whole staff goes because the new HC comes in from outside. They may retain some coaches, but that's by choice, not contractual obligation. The two highest paid positions, and most important, are OC & DC. Dabo hired a new OC & DC his first year.

IF he was given a limited budget for assistants that is further proof Barker was not serious about winning.

Face it, Dabo was NOT hired because of his coaching ability. Barker had an agenda. An agenda that Wilkins and big donors put an end to after the unacceptable losing season in 2010.

Napier was the most questionable hire.

Jul 14, 2012, 4:25 AM

More 'friends and family,' BS. The Steele hire turned out to be poor, but I consider that an understandable mistake.

I like the latest hires, though. We are going to be sorry when Morris leaves, no doubt. Venables has some weaknesses, but I think he's a very good DC, and I don't know that we could have done much better.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Napier was the most questionable hire.

Jul 14, 2012, 1:11 PM

Napier knows his stuff...if dabo wouldve left him alone and let him do his job billy wouldve been fine

Great Stan you woke up the #1 Dabo hater blue caddie***

Jul 14, 2012, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Rightttttt. Coaches are fired all the time. Dabo could have ]

You misspelled

Jul 14, 2012, 1:47 PM

"#1 CLEMSON Hater".....and as you indicated, it is blue_cootie

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You misspelled

Jul 14, 2012, 3:04 PM

I stand corrected

Dabo deserves full credit for recruiting.

Jul 14, 2012, 4:29 AM [ in reply to He is great at recruiting, if he was great at hiring he ]

He was doing a large chunk of it even when Bowden was still here.

I mean, be honest. He has a head coaching job because he brought in CJ Spiller.

There were other factors at work, but that was the achievement you could point to in order to justify it.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're such a tool***

Jul 14, 2012, 11:38 PM [ in reply to He is great at recruiting, if he was great at hiring he ]

centurytiger®

I remember something Danny Ford said.....

Jul 14, 2012, 1:04 AM

..that to be successful "...you'd better have a good staff around you...". I think Dabo is doing that, is a great recruiter and it's very possible he can grow into the hard-nosed coach that can take us to the next level.

Re: I remember something Danny Ford said.....

Jul 14, 2012, 1:15 AM

Yes he did and to that Greatest quote from Coach Ford You have to Have Great assistance and Great cordinators to win Coach Ford never called plays in his entire coaching career he was a position coach then a D1 HC he coached the O-Line

Oh do you know who resigned as DC when coach Ford was named HC the Great Mickey of FSU defense

If you look back at Dabo's time as a wide reciever coach every year he had an all ACC reciever and none of those were 5 stars or 4 stars coming out of HS so stop all the DANG whining and suck it

Dabo and hard nosed don't belong in the same zip code.***

Jul 14, 2012, 2:04 AM [ in reply to I remember something Danny Ford said..... ]

Re: I remember something Danny Ford said.....

Jul 14, 2012, 9:00 AM [ in reply to I remember something Danny Ford said..... ]

I remember Danny saying that he loses games and the players and staff win games.

Not necessarily true, but a good way to be a leader.

I doubt you would hear that today in the Internet age.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Danny saying that he loses games and the players win

Jul 15, 2012, 7:54 PM

That is why Ford was loved and Bowden was not.

That, plus the difference in football philosophy.

Toughness vs Trickery
Hitting vs Out-running

One of two things is true. Either Dabo is not seen by others

Jul 14, 2012, 1:53 AM

in the coaching profession as a good coach, or he is unwilling to pay his dues and work his way up. Either way, both are not good.

Why do I think this way? The facts.

The fact that he has only coached at 2 schools and both of those programs had head coaches that were friends, and one was his alma mater where he walked on then started as a GA.

The fact that his only job in coaching till now was as a position coach at one of the two easiest positions to coach, WR and RB.

The fact that after he was let go at Bama he went into business. If he was any good as a coach he would have had other offers and would have stayed in coaching. I'd be willing to bet that he was the only coach fired by Bama that didn't stay in coaching, not counting older guys that decided to retire. Furthermore, clearly being a head coach was NOT his dream and desire as he says. Otherwise, if the offers were not there from major programs, he would have gone to a smaller program or to a DI school in a minor conference, or even a DI-AA program, but he didn't. He left coaching and went into business. And while in business no one came calling except TB, and TB only did it because he surrounded himself NOT with quality coaches, but family and friends he knew would be loyal to a fault.

I mean, the guy had never held a job of any kind outside of Alabama till hired by TB. Come on, seriously? Any coach worth a crap or serious about coaching moves around. You go where the jobs are work your way up. So either no one wanted him, or he wasn't serious and dedicated.

The guy was a WR coach for 16 years. He went from WR coach to HC because of money and politics, an agenda other than big time winning. He was 39 years old and still a WR coach. No coach seen as an up and comer, or serious about being a HC, is still a WR coach at 39. They would have far more experience, would have coached other positions at other schools, and typically would have been an OC at a program somewhere. They would move around, work their way up, proven themselves.

Dabo was NOT on track to be a HC at any level, nor a coordinator. Had it not been for TB, Dabo would still be selling insurance down in Bama.

The only thing other coaches and programs saw great in Dabo was his ability as a recruiter. Despite plenty of talent, our biggest weakness under TB was OL & WR. Dabo was not even a good WR coach.

Anyone that says Dabo is a good coach, that he knows Xs & Os, is basing that on emotion & speculation, because there is not one shred of evidence to support that argument. But there is widespread evidence, ample facts to support the argument that he is not a good tactical coach, he was not an up and comer, and he was not on track to be an OC, much less HC.

You can attack me and say I hate Dabo, but the facts are the facts. Not to mention that there is no evidence of any program ever asking for permission to interview Dabo while at Bama or Clemson. If fired tomorrow, the only job in coaching Dabo would be pursued for would be recruiting coordinator.

So Stanley, the question isn't why folks say Dabo is not a solid coach, but where is the evidence that would lead any reasonable person to think Dabo knows anything about coaching offense and Xs & Os. If he did, he certainly would have shown it during 2010 when he & Napier were taking our offense to new lows.

Back to the normal slimy swamp crawler I expected. -1.***

Jul 14, 2012, 6:47 AM

Re: One of two things is true. Either Dabo is not seen by ot

Jul 14, 2012, 1:06 PM [ in reply to One of two things is true. Either Dabo is not seen by others ]

Right on! When Dabo became our HC, everyone all around the country was scratching their heads. TDP was the only national AD who would have done that! Name one school who has even asked permission to talk to Dabo about their HC vacancy in the last three years, and there have been many vacancies. We always think that just because he's "ours" then he must be above legitimate criticism. We also whine about the SEC East being so weak in the last few years, when we point to our rival's limited success in it, but what about Dabo's accomplishment in the ACC when it's weaker than it's ever been top to bottom. My biggest beef with you Dabo worshippers is your ignoring the obvious lack of halftime adjustments in close, crucial games....and that is the responsibility of the HC! Sorry--I ain't drinking up the kool-aid just yet!

Re: One of two things is true. Either Dabo is not seen by others

Jul 14, 2012, 1:41 PM [ in reply to One of two things is true. Either Dabo is not seen by others ]

Everything you say is always facts huh caddie? Go back to fairyland. Coaches who can't coach doesn't win coach of the year and an ACC title and two division titles in 3 years. But spin it to fit your delusion. Dabo can win a national title and caddie will still say negative crap and give Dabo only credit for re recruiting. Also forgets Dabo was why Spiller came and who knows how many others.

Because its true***

Jul 14, 2012, 5:34 AM

Re: Because its true***

Jul 14, 2012, 1:42 PM

Shocking caddies wife agrees

Because his teams often lose to teams with inferior talent.

Jul 14, 2012, 7:13 AM

Just look at last season alone. Georgia Tech, NC State and West Virginia had far less talant than we did.

The State loss was terrible. The magnitude of the bowl loss

Jul 14, 2012, 8:34 AM

was worse.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Losing to the nerds of Georgia Tech was shameful.

Jul 14, 2012, 1:19 PM

Heck, Dabo has lost to them 4 times.

Re: Losing to the nerds of Georgia Tech was shameful.

Jul 15, 2012, 7:06 PM

I don't the nerd at tech play football :) How many of those football players take advanced math and science courses?

Dabo's job is to run the football program as a whole not

Jul 14, 2012, 8:18 AM

Neccessarily in game day. That is what the staff is for. NOthing wrong with that.

Wrong. Game time coaching is critical and that is Dabo's

Jul 14, 2012, 9:52 PM

responsibility. Yes, the OC & DC run their squads, but the HC has a LOT of responsibility and influence on the team's play during a game. Plus whether to go for 3rd and long or be conservative, 4th and short vs. kicking, time management, etc.

Re: Wrong. Game time coaching is critical and that is Dabo's

Jul 14, 2012, 9:56 PM

Good old blue cootie and groundhog day

Re: Wrong. Game time coaching is critical and that is Dabo's

Jul 15, 2012, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Wrong. Game time coaching is critical and that is Dabo's ]

You are a ####### Cootie.

null

Re: IDNK. But oh wise one, please tell us!***

Jul 15, 2012, 10:11 PM

Replies: 144
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic