Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why did the Dems vote for prisoners to get stimulus checks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Why did the Dems vote for prisoners to get stimulus checks

Mar 15, 2021, 6:51 AM

why were Republicans against giving prisoners stimulus checks?

Prisoners were out of work and need our money to help them get by, right?

Sens. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., and Bill Cassidy, R-La., put forward an amendment that would prevent $1,400 stimulus checks from going to prisoners. The amendment failed on a party-line vote.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why did the Dems vote for prisoners to get stimulus checks

Mar 15, 2021, 7:04 AM

See next bill up: prisoners get to vote.

The only real reason Dems give anyone, anything...votes.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote?***

Mar 15, 2021, 7:12 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dont see why not ... they already hold several public offices***

Mar 15, 2021, 8:45 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve never really thought about this aspect

Mar 15, 2021, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote?*** ]

Policy and political actions don’t really effect them (while in prison)

I guess you could argue that policy could impact prison rules and regulations

I also would imagine that they aren’t being fed a ton of info on what’s happening in the outside world

Maybe I’m profiling here, but I feel they aren’t discussing politics in the yard or watching the news on the TV

Good points...counterpoint...

Mar 15, 2021, 8:57 AM

depending on how long the sentence is, policies certainly can affect them in the near future. It can certainly affect their loved ones.

This discussion is interesting to me. I think, logically, there can only be two reasons from disallowing a prisoner to vote:

1. a punitive measure; it's part of their punishment for the crime
2. worthiness of vote; their vote wouldn't be beneficial to the country: this is the angle your reply takes

Same arguments for felons who are no longer in prison, except the arguments for disallowing their vote are obviously weakened.

I hear ya

Mar 15, 2021, 8:23 PM

Like I said, I’d never thought of it

It’s a wild topic and I don’t know the right answer or direction

You are right on the felon thing being weaker

They have proven themselves to not be

Mar 15, 2021, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote?*** ]

trustworthy citizens. If you are a felon you have made conscious decisions to harm another individual. You have proven yourself to be a person of ill character and unworthy of being able to hold certain jobs and civic duties

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Permanently so?***

Mar 15, 2021, 8:58 AM

For sure

Mar 15, 2021, 9:09 AM

You can do your time and “pay” your penalty in many ways, but after you are done, you are still a felon. Period. That is a life long sentence and it should be as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very Christian viewpoint.

Mar 15, 2021, 9:32 AM

Give it about a week and you'll be on here big talking about your religious views.

I know you don't believe a person can repent and change his ways, but thankfully, reality doesn't work through the Tigermanac view of the world. Our system is loaded with innocent people as well.

Finally, if said inmate has been a taxpayer, why shouldn't he and his family receive the check? Some of y'all seem to have this weird twisted viewpoint where you think YOUR tax money is suddenly going to some other guy and that's not how this process is working.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Mar 15, 2021, 7:05 AM

Democrats no longer shock me. I would be more shocked if they showed any common sense.

Why should they not get one?***

Mar 15, 2021, 7:12 AM

Re: Why should they not get one?***

Mar 15, 2021, 7:24 AM

Is that a serious question?

Yes. Can you answer it?***

Mar 15, 2021, 7:27 AM

Re: Yes. Can you answer it?***

Mar 15, 2021, 8:35 AM

Why prisoners should not get a check? Because there is no need to make up for lost income due to covid closures. Unless I'm mistaken, any money they earn via a prison job exists electronically and is used only for prison commissary item, etc. Nobody at home is counting on that 40 cents per hour.

That's not a bad reason.***

Mar 15, 2021, 8:41 AM

If you look at it more as "economic stimulus"

Mar 15, 2021, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes. Can you answer it?*** ]

than as "aid," then that doesn't really hold water. For some reason, a lot of people are framing it as "aid," when I view it more as money to help jump start the economy.

That said, I would have voted "no" on the stimulus.

That's where people misunderstand this.

Mar 15, 2021, 10:03 AM

You're right. The idea is to have people infuse this money back into the economy. It's not just tossing out free cash to people. After all, this is their tax money.

I'm on the fence with it as I see the point but wonder if it's smart. But I also recognize that the government takes too much of our tax money as it is. You would think all conservatives are in favor of citizens getting back their tax money, but some who claim to be in this thread seem to see this as free money (or their money) getting thrown at people who don't deserve it.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Mar 15, 2021, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes. Can you answer it?*** ]

Aren't the checks going to their family members?

According to some interview on some show I saw - the answer

Mar 15, 2021, 10:06 AM

is "Yes". (Sorry that's all the research I have.)

And the reasoning was that it would disproportionally hurt black families since they tend to be over-incarcerated.

The Pubs can argue all they want - but prisoners got checks on the first 2 stimuli. Maybe they just now noticed it? I don't know...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: According to some interview on some show I saw - the answer

Mar 15, 2021, 11:44 AM

Lib buzz word of the day: over-incarcerated

Well, liberals have embraced the idea of systemic racism, so

Mar 15, 2021, 12:03 PM

it follows that black folks are excessively incarcerated. The lines between what a liberal thinks and what a conservative thinks are drawn hard now and there's no crossing them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, liberals have embraced the idea of systemic racism, so

Mar 15, 2021, 12:08 PM

We (United States) incarcerate more people than any nation. Blacks make up 12 percent of our population yet about 34 percent of the prison population.

Where do you think the problem lies?

Systemic racism definitely existed 50 years ago - but today

Mar 15, 2021, 4:14 PM

- not so much.

I'm a rule follower (thanks a lot Mommy) - so when I hear that a black person is more likely to get jailed for the same offense than a white person, I don't care. If you don't break the law - you won't get put in jail. It's quite simple.

When would you say...

Mar 15, 2021, 7:54 PM

Was the exact date that systemic racism left ALL municipal and county governments, which is where most law enforcement and court cases occur?

I can't answer that - but systemic racism (like red-lining)

Mar 16, 2021, 9:02 AM

is (mostly) long gone. Racism will always exist.

T3 did make a good point as well - it is a fact that 30% of homicides are committed by 6% of the population (black male). So part of the disparity in the number of incarcerations lies there. (That stat would also tend to make law enforcement watch a black person a little closer than a white person - increasing the chance that he will see them doing something wrong...)

Mar 15, 2021, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Well, liberals have embraced the idea of systemic racism, so ]

Mar 16, 2021, 10:14 AM

Same percentage committed, or same percentage actually prosecuted and convicted?

Mar 15, 2021, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Yes. Can you answer it?*** ]

Just wow. That is all.

I'll take that as a "No, I can't answer it."***

Mar 15, 2021, 8:46 AM

Re: I'll take that as a "No, I can't answer it."***

Mar 15, 2021, 9:01 AM

Ok fine I’ll play just one time. I’m thinking just maybe the guy that murdered my aunt does not deserve tax payer money sitting in a cell. Good grief I can’t believe this is a serious debate.

I'm sorry about your aunt.

Mar 15, 2021, 9:02 AM

That is tragic. I understand how this could influence your opinion on this matter, for sure.

You should research this a little more

Mar 15, 2021, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: I'll take that as a "No, I can't answer it."*** ]

They're not just tossing money at inmates. It's more nuanced than that, and much of that money goes right back to the government. Even if it doesn't, the inmates still can't access it in prison. What they can keep will likely go to their families.

You do understand that I expressed no opinion one way

Mar 15, 2021, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Why should they not get one?*** ]

or the other...I gave you an opportunity to convince me of your case, in the spirit of an enjoyable message board discussion. Apparently that is not what you desire.

One of your fellow posters gave a good reply above, which pushes me more toward your position.

Mar 15, 2021, 8:24 AM

because that money goes to their families you dingbat, or did you think they use the ATM in the prison to withdraw from their accounts?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do their families need money?

Mar 15, 2021, 9:10 AM

are they not able to work because their spouse is in prison?

You really don't get how this works, do you?

Mar 15, 2021, 9:41 AM

Do you think this stimulus stuff is just passing out free money to people who don't pay taxes?

Why do you think some taxpayers shouldn't receive the money and others should? So some inmate's wife shouldn't receive a stimulus even though she pays taxes because her husband is an criminal?

Tell us exactly which taxpayers should get their money back.

Message was edited by: Catahoula®

Why did Republicans vote for it in 2020?***

Mar 15, 2021, 8:42 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crickets from the Trump sheep on here.

Mar 15, 2021, 4:21 PM

They only get outraged at things Newsmax tells them to be outraged about.

Let's fact-check a bit.

Mar 15, 2021, 9:04 AM

In the first round of stimulus, some prisoners also received checks, and back then, Cotton and Cassidy voted in favor of it.

When the inmates received checks, the IRS docked any that owed back child support and several other owed fees were taken out and put right back into the government coffers.

In the second round of stimulus, inmates got debit cards that they couldn't use and had to file for rebate recovery on their taxes. Once again, many lost money due to owed child support and fees.

My understanding is that this will be a similar case this time.

Mar 15, 2021, 10:13 AM

If you have been convicted of a crime and are serving a prison sentence why should you qualify for free money???

You should not. It’s just more BS policies by the brain dead democrats trying to buy future votes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you really think it's "free money"?

Mar 15, 2021, 10:15 AM

If so, how?

Isn't it literally an advance on a tax credit?

Mar 15, 2021, 11:02 AM

Like, it's literally my money, that I'm earning. My taxes have been lowered this year, by that $1400 amount.

Yep.

Mar 15, 2021, 11:22 AM

But somehow some of these folks think their tax money is being given out to people they don't like.

Mar 15, 2021, 10:39 AM

Yeah, I don't get that either. I would like to hear some Dems, especially the ones who put that in the bill in the first place, explain their reasoning there. I would also like to have a closer look at the amendment to make sure that it only pertained to prisoners.

Mar 15, 2021, 11:20 AM

Thank you Tobias. Very reasonable.

Why did Trump give prisoners checks too?

Mar 15, 2021, 12:06 PM

And Cotton supported that one.

They're getting money to support the Private Prison Complex.

Mar 15, 2021, 8:42 PM

It doesn't matter which party is 'in', it's still a major political contributions source...

REPUBLICANS voted for prisoners to get checks the last 2 rounds

Mar 16, 2021, 3:30 PM

But I'm sure you're totally aware of that and arguing in grossly bad faith.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic