Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who would replace Brownell?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Who would replace Brownell?

Feb 4, 2020, 2:08 PM

Who’s out there that would come to Clemson. Nobody if they are reading this board. We are spoiled by Dabo. Who we gonna get? You can’t just fire him. You have to replace him. Let’s hear some names that can do better with Clemson’s honest program.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who would replace Brownell?

Feb 4, 2020, 2:24 PM

Shaka Smart

Feb 4, 2020, 2:31 PM

Umm no.

Feb 5, 2020, 6:38 AM

To clarify: You don't think Smart would come? You don't think he is a better coach? You don't think that he can run an honest program?

GTFOOH with that crap, might as well have said Greg

Feb 4, 2020, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Who would replace Brownell? ]

####### Marshall

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2020, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Who would replace Brownell? ]

Shaka cheats (he taught Will Wade everything he knows) and still can't win at a school filled with resources.

Feb 4, 2020, 2:27 PM

the guy from college of charleston? We did ok with their baseball coach depending on who you ask...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So it would be your suggestion that we fire the winningest

Feb 4, 2020, 2:47 PM

basketball coach in school history for some rando who you can't even name because it sorta worked in baseball, according to who you asked? Can't make this #### up

Re: So it would be your suggestion that we fire the winningest

Feb 4, 2020, 5:07 PM

The worst part is firing Brownell to hire one of his former assistants. That would just be more of the same.

Re: So it would be your suggestion that we fire the winningest

Feb 5, 2020, 6:57 AM [ in reply to So it would be your suggestion that we fire the winningest ]

Hmmm? That idea has more potential than mine, as I was thinking of hiring the local gym teacher.

Feb 5, 2020, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Who would replace Brownell? ]

If you fire Brad Brownell, there's no way the oldest and best branch in his coaching tree is going to leave his hometown to coach the team that fired his mentor. And by the way, his name is Earl Grant.

Feb 4, 2020, 2:30 PM

Dozens of coaches. Who knows? The AD would figure that out.

Feb 4, 2020, 2:40 PM

Cmon. Really. Just name 6. Dozens? Really. You can’t name 6.

Feb 4, 2020, 2:55 PM

I cant name 1, because we dont know who is available and wants the job or who we want. Its a question that doesnt have an answer. There are dozens upon dozens that Drad could interview if he chooses and he would see who was the best fit.

At the moment, our AD seems to think Brad is the best fit***

Feb 4, 2020, 2:57 PM

Re: At the moment, our AD seems to think Brad is the best fit***

Feb 4, 2020, 3:01 PM

Yep and he will be at Clemson through next season. Hopefully he has a great year and we turn the corner. I was just commenting because people ask who should we get if we were looking. Thats not an answerable question. Who knows who wants the job and who is available? Anyway, it doesnt matter this year anyway.

Feb 4, 2020, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Who would replace Brownell? ]

Cmon. Really. Just name 6. Dozens? Really. You can’t name 6.

boom

Feb 4, 2020, 2:42 PM

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/10/31/20926205/hot-mid-major-coach-name-candidate-craig-smith-mike-rhoades-matt-mcmahon-becker-jans-rumor

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2020, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Who would replace Brownell? ]

Here is a crazy list of 12+

Current or Former HC with ACC ties
Tommy Amaker - Harvard HC
Johnny Dawkins – UCF HC
Paul Hewitt- Former GT HC

ACC Assistants
Hubert Davis -UNC Asst
Randolph Childress-WF Asst

Former Clemson Players
Greg Buckner - Memphis Griz Asst
Tanner Smith – Kennesaw St Asst

Wildcards
Craig Neal-Nevada Asst HC
Mark Price-Nuggets Asst
Mike Dunleavy, Jr-Warriors Asst GM
Tim Duncan-Spurs Asst
Shane Battier-Heat Dir of Basketball Development
Jay Williams-ESPN Analyst
Mark Jackson – Former NBA HC
Avery Johnson – Former Alabama HC

I sure hope DRad has a better list than mine.

Feb 4, 2020, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Who would replace Brownell? ]

The AD already has figured it out... NOONE is replacing BB. So drop it or quit supporting the team.

That depends...

Feb 4, 2020, 2:39 PM

on how much money the university is prepared to spend.

In years past, the approach has been to establish a budget and then find someone who will accept the job for what Clemson is willing to pay rather than identifying the absolute best possible candidate available and then paying whatever it takes to get them here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

What makes you or anybody else think THIS time will be

Feb 4, 2020, 2:44 PM

any different than the last half dozen times we cheaped out?

I got it

Feb 4, 2020, 2:47 PM

Lets just keep on sucking and watching horrible basketball that even paint drying, this is slow.
Cause, according to you ###### fans, you think no one will want to come here and we will never ever be good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's the winningest coach in school history, I'm not ready

Feb 4, 2020, 2:50 PM

to replace him with an unknown because people who don't even go to games are unhappy with him

you probably wanted to keep TB and West lol

Feb 4, 2020, 2:52 PM

enough is enough with BB. He's had a decade. We've been more than patient. We know what we are getting. and that is barely making the NIT every year.

No, I was in favor of letting Bowden go after the 06 season

Feb 4, 2020, 2:55 PM

and I knew West was in over his head from Day 1 so you're 0 for 2

Brad Brownell is a Tommy Bowden reincarnate...

Feb 4, 2020, 3:10 PM

His team always seem to be incredibly inconsistent and every year his teams lose games they shouldn't.

Bowden's two claims to fame were; he beat uof6c regularly and he hired Dabo.

Brownell is 5 - 5 against the Capons

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brad Brownell is a Tommy Bowden reincarnate...

Feb 4, 2020, 3:25 PM

Not even close.

Re: He's the winningest coach in school history, I'm not ready

Feb 5, 2020, 7:10 AM [ in reply to He's the winningest coach in school history, I'm not ready ]

Yeah any coach becomes the winningest if he hangs around long enough, that’s a pathetic argument

Re: He's the winningest coach in school history, I'm not ready

Feb 5, 2020, 7:11 AM [ in reply to He's the winningest coach in school history, I'm not ready ]

Yeah any coach becomes the winningest if he hangs around long enough, that’s a pathetic argument

I'm certainly not implying it would be different this time***

Feb 4, 2020, 2:48 PM [ in reply to What makes you or anybody else think THIS time will be ]

Re: What makes you or anybody else think THIS time will be

Feb 5, 2020, 6:41 AM [ in reply to What makes you or anybody else think THIS time will be ]

In our defense, we "cheaped out" with Dabo, and that worked out pretty well.

I heard somewhere Colgate has become top notch, is

Feb 4, 2020, 2:50 PM

their coach available? ;)

The guy from VCU, the guy from Richmond, the guy from ...

Feb 4, 2020, 3:00 PM

that school up the Road, the guy from Liberty, T. Oglesby, and of course Shaka Smart

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The guy from VCU, the guy from Richmond, the guy from ...

Feb 4, 2020, 3:42 PM

When did Terrence Oglesby graduate?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2020, 3:35 PM

Most Clemson basketball fans would be ecstatic if we got Shaka Smart.

The problem with that is he is currently failing at Texas. If he can't succeed at Texas, he sure as hell isn't going to succeed here.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2020, 4:31 PM

Shaka is doing okay. 14-8. He has a chance at the tournament and is recruiting fairly good. He will be back there next year.

Feb 4, 2020, 5:03 PM

News Flash, Shaka Smart is never coming to Clemson. It wouldn't be a better hire than what we have already.

Last 5 seasons:

BB - 90-64 (.580)

SS - 83-72 (.540)

- Nobody here would argue the Big 12 is a tougher conference than the ACC, so the road is harder for BB. Yet, he has a better overall record the last 5 years.

- At VCU (where NCAA compliance is a joke) he had a good run. But, now at Texas, where they have an actual compliance department and they can't get the same talent they did at VCU.

- Richmond and the bay area is so loaded with talent, all you had to do was get them enrolled for a year. Since SS left for Texas, VCU has continued to win 25, 26, 18 & 25 games per year. Basically, they haven't missed a beat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Serious question

Feb 4, 2020, 4:37 PM

B/c at times I've seen BB coach with the best of them. I've also seen him make plenty of mistakes, but, who doesn't?

The one consistent is in recruiting, where we failed. We have not had near the talent the consistent top tier schools have had in the ACC.

However we've struggled here for as long as the program has existed with the exception of a few years here and there.

And, given what we know about the scandals the last few years, I'm not sure we want to go down that road just to compete.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't answer that, because I'm not involved closely enough

Feb 4, 2020, 5:08 PM

with the inner workings of our basketball program and athletic department, especially regarding financial limitations. Also I don't know what other coaches are available or would be best suited for the situation at Clemson. If this is somehow a "name somebody we could get that would do better than Brad or shut up" post, then you have failed. It's a weak argument to support the notion that we can't to better and shouldn't try. Money may ultimately be an issue, but we know beyond the shadow of any doubt that the current situation is unsustainable if we have have an ounce of pride or any hope of having a better basketball program. There is no reason on earth, regardless of our lack of historical success, that we can't have a consistently better basketball program, and not trying is not the answer. Do a coaching search, get a guy that can recruit and has shown he can win, and get the best guy you can find. We've done it before, and other schools do it all of the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, yet for some reason we have some people here who seem to believe we can never be any better and oh no, it would be crazy to make major changes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Cliff Ellis.

Feb 4, 2020, 11:20 PM

Waiting to make a Mack Brown-like return.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UCONN or Notre Dame Lady's Coaches

Feb 4, 2020, 11:32 PM

Either can coach circles around Brownell, and good publicity for the university win or lose. Book it Mr. Rad!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2020, 7:06 AM

Just because you don’t know any viable candidates does not mean they don’t exist .

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic