Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When did we turn the corner to become an Elite program?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

When did we turn the corner to become an Elite program?

Jan 5, 2017, 9:19 PM

I'd say LSU. That was a monster team we beat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvRzfCKRU38

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree***

Jan 5, 2017, 9:20 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When did we turn the corner to become an Elite program?

Jan 5, 2017, 9:26 PM

Definitely a build-up and several milestone wins (and the LSU game was huge)....I remember thinking last year when we shut Miami out in their home that the Tigers would always be a force to be reckoned with....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2017, 9:27 PM

after that game venables said it was program changing.the man is a prophet among other things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 5, 2017, 9:33 PM

When I read your post this game was the first game that came to my mind

Right after the 12-7 Wake loss.....***

Jan 5, 2017, 9:35 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When Watson signed possibly?

Jan 5, 2017, 9:35 PM

Who are elite programs right now? Mich, Ohio State, Bama, Clemson? Maybe the real USC is about to be again? What are the standards of being elite?

Re: When Watson signed possibly?

Jan 5, 2017, 9:39 PM

Only 1 elite team right now. There will be two come Tuesday morning with clemson on top.

Re: When Watson signed possibly?

Jan 5, 2017, 9:46 PM [ in reply to When Watson signed possibly? ]

What teams elite? I'd have to say the teams that sports media compare other teams to.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2017, 9:36 PM

I'd have to say the tOSU game when we actually turned the corner. LSU started opening eyes but still a lot of doubts. Tosu bigger stage and more national recognition.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2017, 10:19 PM

> I'd have to say the tOSU game when we actually turned
> the corner. LSU started opening eyes but still a lot
> of doubts. Tosu bigger stage and more national
> recognition.

This this THIS! LSU game was the beginning of the foundation, but the OB win over tOSU was the building of the palace. This team and our brand have never looked back since then.

GO TIGERS!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2017, 9:42 PM

Yes. Respect.

Jan 5, 2017, 9:46 PM

Just a few bumps in the road after 81 ??

70-33. That brought in Venables

Jan 5, 2017, 9:46 PM

The offense is great, but our D has made us elite.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. We were headed there, but that move put us over

Jan 6, 2017, 6:34 AM

the top.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We actually did a show about that before the LSU

Jan 5, 2017, 9:50 PM

game. Here is what I wrote then.

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/TigerNet-Talk-Are-We-Elite-11284

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU made a believer out of me

Jan 5, 2017, 9:52 PM

Jan 5, 2017, 10:09 PM

Great post.... great ?....I think it was 2006. the year our wr coach and recruiting coordinator Dabo Swinney got CJ Spiller. Originally in 2003 when we beat UNC , Virginia , FSU , crushed the chickens 63-17 and beat Tennessee in the bowl game with Whitehurst I thought we had arrived but Tommy followed that up with several sub par years . Once we got CJ the studs starting following him. He as a huge key to our building a program.

When we hired Dabo for our head coach.***

Jan 5, 2017, 10:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We weren't "elite" yet

Jan 5, 2017, 10:16 PM

That was the first step in becoming a legitimate national powerhouse

But "elite" is more than beating LSU in a CHick fil a bowl. Elite is Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, and now Clemson.

I'd say we became truly elite once DW set foot on campus. Our 2014 season would have played out much differently if he started from day 1 and stayed healthy. This was immediately after our biggest postseason win since 1981 against one of said "elite" teams.

Dabo is only now starting to get respect and enter that elite coaching realm with Saban and Meyer and Jimbo, and it's taken two national championship appearances.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would say the Notre Dame win last year

Jan 5, 2017, 10:17 PM

That sparked a big change in the public's mind.

Not until 2016 when we made it back to the playoffs with ...

Jan 5, 2017, 10:19 PM

... with tremendous expectations and a target on our backs.

We opened the door to being elite last year, but we stepped through the door this year.

If we win Monday, we will have shut the door behind us and have taken up permanent residence.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2017, 10:51 PM

In my view, the "turn the corner moment" was when we dominated Oklahoma in Russell Athletic with Cole Stoudt and brand new co-OCs. The following season, we followed that up with a 14-0 regular season and national championship appearance without our #1 receiver. We followed that up with a 13-1 regular season and national championship appearance. We're making even better strides in recruiting.

Now, some might say we're just on a little run because of #4, but if we keep producing these type of seasons once he has left, then that argument can no longer be made. I happen to disagree with that argument, and believe the naysayers will soon see that Clemson is here among the elite programs for many years to come.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Jan 5, 2017, 11:04 PM

We took Auburn to OT at their place with Kyle Parker , and If they hadn't of speared him in the
back we would have won . I knew we were headed in the right direction . Not elite but earning respect .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2017, 1:46 AM [ in reply to Re: When did we turn the corner to become an Elite program? ]

I don't know but I know we are elite!!! National Champions baby

I think it was a game we lost.

Jan 5, 2017, 11:26 PM

Last year's natty. Many up until that point thought we were eventually going to crap the bed. You can't be considered elite if everyone assumes you're bound to screw up or at the least not show up when it counts. Or get blown out by bama. But even though we lost that game, we showed the world an elite team that was a force to be reckoned with.

Jan 6, 2017, 2:59 AM

Exactly what I was thinking as well. 4th and 17 was the real first evidence. The the second most recent beat down of the Buckeyes sealed it for me.

4th and 17 ?

Jan 6, 2017, 6:12 AM

The legend grows !

??

DB23

Jan 6, 2017, 8:59 AM

I would say after 2013 OSU and the way we handled 2014 when we were forced to rebuild or reload. LSU showed we were determined and on our way, OSU showed we could play with the best. 2014, we took a step back in terms of mature talent, no elite QB and a lot of great talent that was young and inexperienced. We could've easily went 8-5 that year, but thanks to our coaching we were able to pull off another 10 win season and blow out Oklahoma to show the world we weren't going to fade away after a flash in the pan. Beating LSU showed we were knocking on the door, beating OSU showed we had 1 foot in, surviving 2014 and going 14-1 in 2015 showed we were there.

Actually elite? Last year.***

Jan 6, 2017, 9:01 AM

I agree, win over LSU showed us we could not only hang

Jan 6, 2017, 9:03 AM

With the big boys but beat them

LSU was the "proof" but WV was the catalyst

Jan 6, 2017, 9:05 AM

That showed me that Dabo was not going to accept mediocrity and was 100% committed to success.

No question.***

Jan 6, 2017, 9:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

A-shee shee and esh shee shee

Jan 6, 2017, 9:18 AM

LOL Lou Holtz

Jan 6, 2017, 9:29 AM

I think it was the Auburn beatdown in 2011. They were the defending champions and we crushed them.

Agreed. That game was so big for us***

Jan 6, 2017, 9:30 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Jan 6, 2017, 9:39 AM

On the field the LSU game is a good landmark. Off he field the building of the west end zone project and the recruitment of C J Spiller was the beginning of us making ourselves be taken more serious by other elite players. Tommy Bowden deserves some credit for beginning the facilities fight

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic