Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What’s the true purpose of ESecPN’s CFP “Seeding” Show?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

What’s the true purpose of ESecPN’s CFP “Seeding” Show?

Jan 6, 2020, 1:10 PM

To me I look at it as them creating another “legitimacy” argument to artificially rank SEC teams above all other conferences by calling a “seeding” show a ranking system.
In the short history of the CFP so far, it’s clearly been used to get preference for SEC teams...most notably, the easiest matchups in the Semifinals and most favorable locations to play in Semis & Finals.
The last week flip of O4iO St. (1) and LSwho (2) to make Clemson have the MOST DIFFICULT path was too obvious for anyone to miss.
Just another sham in a long list of unequivocal bias.
The notion of “a fair & equal playing field” is a joke... why don’t we just banish the NCAA since it really is a useless organization in today’s modern era of CFB?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What’s the true purpose of ESecPN’s CFP “Seeding” Show?

Jan 6, 2020, 1:23 PM

the ncaa is there to help($$$$$$$$$$$) those schools that cheat get through their scandals.right off the top unc comes to mind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 6, 2020, 1:25 PM

You’re. Trying. Too. Hard.

HTH

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 1:28 PM

Care to explain your blanket dismissal of the topic with a logical response?

I’ll wait.....

Jan 6, 2020, 1:31 PM

Your whole argument is an opinion totally devoid of facts. There is no conspiracy. HTH

Jan 6, 2020, 1:35 PM

You’re. Being. Too. Arrogant.

Jan 6, 2020, 1:38 PM

So point out a “fact” in your argument. Prove this conspiracy. I’d agree that the media has an agenda but don’t believe the CFP committee does.

Jan 6, 2020, 1:46 PM

You jump on my thread to bash me and instead of You having facts to back up your opposition, you take a stance that I have to prove something to you.

Again...

You’re. Being. Too. Arrogant.

If you don’t like my post and don’t have anything of substance to contribute, there are many other posts on the bored to choose.... help yourself.

Jan 6, 2020, 2:12 PM

Ok. All I did was say you were trying too hard...

You do you.

Jan 6, 2020, 2:18 PM

No worries. It’s cool.

I am expressing mostly my opinion about this topic, that’s a fair assessment, and it’s hard to ignore the favorable venues SEC teams get “positioned” into.

Jan 6, 2020, 1:53 PM

Well last year Clemson ended up with ND in the 1st game which most people would have argued was the easier team between them and Oklahoma.

For this year, I'm not understanding how there is a concrete difference for Clemson in playing Ohio State in the 1st game instead of LSU, especially not when most people would have assumed either LSU or Ohio State would easily beat Oklahoma resulting in Clemson having to beat both teams anyway.

Jan 6, 2020, 2:05 PM

The strength of X or Y team is debatable and I’ll give you that, it varies from one viewpoint to the next.
The real “main point” of my post is that the CFP while being called a ranking show has provoked many disagreements by fans of X and Y, because the criteria change from week to week in what seems to be a consistent “positioning” of teams more than a consistent “ranking” of teams.

Jan 6, 2020, 2:29 PM

There's no doubt that it's about the ratings, and they want to drive up discussion as much as possible to get people to tune in to not only the show, but the games themselves. Basically, how will the committee respond to the games coming up this weekend? What teams are still in the race? The more of that discussion the better for the ratings.

I do think the committee has mostly gotten things right in the final rankings each season. Of course you could quite often debate flipping teams here and there, but there hasn't really been any final rankings that were out of this world crazy IMO.

Jan 6, 2020, 2:43 PM

Agree with you here but would add that the partisan positioning of teams, not just by the CFP, (it’s pretty much built in year round) has disadvantaged conferences who aren’t B1G/SEC in end of the year bowl matchups and venues.

Jan 6, 2020, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: What’s the true purpose of ESecPN’s CFP “Seeding” Show? ]

I do think this years committee bought into the B1G/SEC preseason rankings keeping teams higher in the polls than they mabye deserved more so than the past. I know the ACC was down outside of Clemson but I would like to see where UVA, Louisville and Some other ACC schools would end up of they started with the same preseason ranking of some of the B1G/SEC teams.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 3:31 PM

It's the preseason rankings that really get me. If several SEC teams are automatically ranked in the top 15, it's very difficult for them to be knocked out of the top 25, even if they lose 2 or three games, since they always seem to be playing against ranked teams. I'd rather see a system whereby teams are not ranked until week 6 or 7. This way, rankings are based on current season results and not on what happened last year or preseason hype.

Jan 6, 2020, 3:45 PM

The fallacy is that the ACC teams like SU and BC that absolutely got destroyed by weak teams like Maryland and Kansas, respectively. If the ACC would win their games against SEC teams, then things would change. UofSuc was an easy target, and they could beat a weak UGA team in UGA's house with a 3rd string QB, but UofSuc lost 8 freaking games, so the media scoffed and said it's okay because UGA was just having a bad day. Only the SEC is granted a Mulligan on losses to unranked and pathetic teams like UofSuc. UGA's loss was just as bad or worse than the SU or BS losses IMO. UGA should be kicked out of the top 10, but there just aren't any decent teams to knock them out. Oregon losing to an average Auburn team (that beat Bama once again) after leading the entire game save the final seconds is what screwed up the entire year for all non-SEC conferences.

Jan 6, 2020, 4:39 PM

We lost to Syracuse two years ago who finished 4-8 and we ended up as the #1 team in the final CFP ranking. We also lost to an unranked Pitt team a few years ago and ended up as the #2 team so I'll have to disagree with your statement that only the SEC is allowed to lose to unranked teams and still be allowed in.

Jan 6, 2020, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Re: What’s the true purpose of ESecPN’s CFP “Seeding” Show? ]

I know this is a popular theory, but I don't think it explains the SEC teams in the final regular season rankings. The SEC had 6 teams in the preseason AP poll which isn't as insane of a number as some would have you believe. The SEC had 5 teams in the final CFP poll. Those 5 teams were included in the 6 teams ranked in the preseason with A&M not finishing in the top 25.

All 5 of those teams won at least 9 games with 4 of them winning at least 10 games. They also have quality OOC wins with LSU beating Texas who was ranked in the top 10 at the time, Georgia beating ND who was ranked #7 at the time, and Auburn beating Oregon who was ranked #11 at the time. I only point that out to say that it's not as if these teams only beat up on each other and stayed high because of each other being ranked.

If preseason polls did not exist as many state, then which of these 5 teams would not be ranked?

Jan 6, 2020, 3:40 PM

I would have bet that if OSU was #1, then the CFP final would be without any SEC teams represented. And the Heisman winner would look average once again.

ratings, also to make you mad***

Jan 6, 2020, 4:44 PM

^^^Logic is sound -

Jan 6, 2020, 4:49 PM

good job yellow tiger

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic