Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LSU hit with sanctions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 4,428

LSU hit with sanctions

Feb 26, 2015, 9:41 PM

Could be Germans..

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/11707183-123/records-lsu-slapped-with-recruiting

The LSU Tigers were on the wrong end of recruiting sanctions from the SEC on Thursday. According to a report from The Advocate, Les Miles and the Tigers will be banned from signing early enrollee recruits to financial aid agreements (FAAs) for two years after violating the guidelines set forth by the NCAA regarding FAA’s. In addition, LSU will also lose 21 of 210 “evaluation days,” which basically means 21 days to recruit prospects off campus, this year.

Under the FAA rules, once a player signs an agreement with a school, the coaching staff is then allowed unlimited contact with the recruit. However, if that recruit does not enroll with that school, the school can then be pinched for unlimited contact, which is exactly what happened with LSU.

The recruit signed a financial aid agreement with LSU intending to enroll early in January, but he decided not to enroll at the school. That makes at least some of LSU’s unlimited contact with the prospect illegal.

The NCAA modified the financial aid agreement (FAA) in April. It continued to allowed schools “relaxed recruiting rules” for prospects who signed an financial aid agreement, but it also warned schools that they could be penalized for recruiting violations if that prospect did not eventually enroll in that school.

The recruit was not specifically named in the original report, although Matt Womack, an Alabama signee, was one prospect who signed an FAA with LSU before deciding to go elsewhere. That being said, his father specifically stated that the Tigers were not contacting him unlimitedly.

It’s a sticky situation. On one end, FAA’s provide a coaching staff with a leg up for recruiting player. On the other side, you never know what a high school prospect is going to do. They could change their mind last minute, like this recruit for LSU, and decide to go elsewhere.

LSU will still be able to accept early enrollees for the next two years; they just can’t sign recruits to FAA’s, thus giving them a disadvantage against schools who can.

Add in the fact that LSU is losing 10% of it’s evaluation days, and it’s a compounding factor that could really hamper the Tigers’ recruiting abilities.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LSU hit with sanctions

Feb 26, 2015, 9:45 PM

Savion ....the time to reconsider is now !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Just wait until he sees a KS coached defense

Feb 26, 2015, 9:49 PM

I'm gonna have to watch some of their games so I can watch all their players stand around looking confused before the snap.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HOF post!

Feb 26, 2015, 10:04 PM

Touché!

Feb 26, 2015, 9:48 PM

Yeah the sec way

Whatever guys...this rule is bogus...

Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 PM

and could impact Clemson any given year. The unlimited contact once they sign the FAA with a school is great, however, the fact that the school can then be penalized for said contact if the kid chooses not to come to that university is ridiculous. the NCAA is speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

Stupid rule. LSU got bit - sucks for them, but could have just as easily been us.

Re: Whatever guys...this rule is bogus...

Feb 26, 2015, 10:01 PM

absolutely agree!! read my post below

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 26, 2015, 10:00 PM

if I read this correctly there was nothing wrong done UNTIL the recruit did not honor his commitment.If so why is LSU to blame for someone not living up to a commitment????To me the one to be punished is the recruit!Or that rule needs to be changed!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree....this rule puts the university in a precarious

Feb 26, 2015, 10:35 PM

position. It seems almost pointless having these early signings of financial papers if the school can be penalized for treating the kid as a signee.

There is a smiling touch of irony, however, seeing an SEC school being put on probation for a seemingly uninentional misinterpretation, when they play fast and loose with so many rule and get away with it.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree....this rule puts the university in a precarious

Feb 26, 2015, 10:44 PM

How many did we have enroll early and if one has backed out this could be us? #### that seems unfair to the schools. There is no guarantee with these kids

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

This is liking getting Al Capone for tax evasion

Feb 27, 2015, 7:51 AM [ in reply to I agree....this rule puts the university in a precarious ]

but I'm glad to see most of you see this absurd ruling as a very dangerous precedent. These EEs that Clemson has been getting more and more of is a very good thing for CU, to get half of our class a whole off-season of workouts and nutrition and acclimatization to college life. One kid can screw that up for a couple of years. All fans should stand up for LSU in this case.

Feb 26, 2015, 11:18 PM

I would assume S Smith is an EE.

what a BS rule, LSU was screwed twice by this

Feb 26, 2015, 11:39 PM

Lost the recruit and got hit.

If the unthinkable would have happened and o e of our 13 or 14 early enrollees flipped, we would be n the same boat.

I saw you get a recruit to sign with the rival and them sign with us. Could screw them over

If reported correctly

Feb 26, 2015, 11:53 PM

This is a monumentally stupid rule.

I'm not much a fan of the NCAA's bureaucratic nonsense, but this is especially idiotic.

If the rule says that contact is allowed when a paper is signed and yet that same contact is deemed 'illegal' if later the recruit changes his mind, then how in the world is a coaching staff/program to ever know whether to make use of the rule?

It's absurd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Catch 22...

Feb 27, 2015, 9:48 AM

nm

Absurd rule... I thought so when I read it last year. NCAA?***

Feb 27, 2015, 11:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 27, 2015, 12:32 PM

By the looks of LSU's twitter base, I'd say its fair punishment. a mirage of LSU consultants blow up Saivion everyday. I can see how this could hPpen

Kids signed up and then quit... How is that LSU's fault?***

Feb 27, 2015, 1:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 4,428
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic