Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What physically identifies Clemson for you?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

What physically identifies Clemson for you?

Jan 6, 2021, 8:25 AM

Being a seasoned citizen, for me back in the day, two of the most identifiable aspects of Clemson were:

Tillman Hall: Yes, that is what it was called back then. Always looked for the clock tower when driving back onto campus in the late afternoon. The fact that it is now once again called The Old Main Building hasn't changed its physical appearance at all, imagine that.

Clemson House Neon Sign: If returning to campus after dark on a weekend, the Clemson House sign was always lit up to let you know just where you were. I hope they get it put back up soon in some historical display, I understand it was saved when the building was torn down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a kid, I always looked for...

Jan 6, 2021, 8:35 AM

the Tiger Paws painted on the road and the Clemson water tower out on Highway 76.

When you saw those, you knew you were almost home.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: As a kid, I always looked for...

Jan 6, 2021, 11:16 PM

I told my daughter she should always be going the speed limit when she spots the first Tiger Paw.

To answer the question:
Depending on the direction we're approaching campus, the high rises, kite hill, and of course the clock tower.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What physically identifies Clemson for you?

Jan 6, 2021, 8:38 AM

My wife, her two cousins, a late Uncle, her class ring, her diploma, two autographed caps(Tommy and Dabo)one of those plastic footballs autographed by Davis ,and Spiller, and my Coca -Cola bottle collection.

I lost all my Clemson memorabilia in a house fire in 1977.

Jan 6, 2021, 8:48 AM

But, thanks to Ebay, I have replaced most of it. Including the huge (at the time) 1974 Undefeated Home Season Pepsi bottle. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 8:53 AM

Tillman, Death Valley, Lake Hartwell, ESSO, Bowman Field, to name a few that come to mind.

Jan 6, 2021, 5:23 PM

Agree

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jan 6, 2021, 8:57 AM

Tillman, Death Valley and the view from the hill above The Amphitheater

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowman Field

Jan 6, 2021, 9:02 AM

But also the stacks on the P-Plant. They're not pretty, and don't make any postcards, but they're very visible and having lived right across the street from them in Johnstone, they were a fixture of my view.

But Bowman Field captures it for me - the paws on the street leading up to the statue of old Tom Green, Tillman/Main Hall, the old YMCA, and when Clemson House was across the street. Students playing, laying out, studying on the grass; ROTC units drilling in a mere shadow of the old Cadet Corps from back in the day; the brass cannons, and the new statues and memorials looking out over the field. Bowman Field is the heart of Clemson.

Re: Bowman Field

Jan 6, 2021, 6:32 PM

Bowman and the Homecoming displays. Had some great times out there working on those.

Tillman Hall and Clemson House as well

Jan 6, 2021, 9:04 AM

Of course, that bell is always a good reminder of how lucky I am to be a part of Clemson University.

I live in Clemson House for a couple of semesters, and I had great memories there.

Jan 6, 2021, 9:10 AM

Tillman Hall for me, too. It especially has a personal connection for me, as well.

As an AFROTC cadet, our Aerospace Studies classes were in Tillman Hall. We were on the second floor and the classroom was the one with the two (or was it three) windows you see on the right, as you look at the building (from the statue).

On more than a ‘few’ occasions - especially during Spring Semester when those windows were open and you could hear the birds, smell the new blossoms and blooms on the warm spring breeze. I would be looking out those windows, daydreaming, and wishing I was also out laying on a blanket on Bowman Field; while Maj Griffin regaled us with lessons on Billy Mitchell, Hap Arnold, aerospace doctrine, leadership principles, and the like.

While I understand some folk’s concerns or opposition to the name, it will always be ‘Tillman Hall’ in my memories.

And of course, I love the paw, too!

GO TIGERS!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

I remember all of that

Jan 6, 2021, 9:59 AM

good memories brought back.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the PAW & Water Tower***

Jan 6, 2021, 9:38 AM

Tillman Hall, B-5 Johnstone Hall. Being able to be at

Jan 6, 2021, 9:39 AM

midfield at Death Valley for the coin toss at the Clemson/Va Tech 2012 Military Appreciation Game. I had brought a good friend and retired general with me. Pretty cool, I was getting "high fives" from the players running down The Hill before the coin toss.

Bollwinkles Bar, I managed and was a DJ. That was how I paid my way through school.

Camping out for basketball games. Being the only college graduate in my extended family, and graduating with a BS in Civil Engineering.

Giving Perry Tuttle his orange pants that I had bought from a Clemson uniform sale in 1982. I gave the pants back to Perry after the National Title game victory over Bama in January 2017. Perry was speaking at a church in Lexington, SC on a Sunday evening a week after the national title victory. I walked up to Perry before his speech and I told him I had something for him. I pulled out his orange pants and gave them to him. I didn't know at the time, but he did not get his jersey from the 1981 season until it was given to him in the locker room the night we beat Bama in Tampa.

The morning after I gave Perry his orange pants, we sent me a text saying he was now able to give his entire uniform to his son. Pretty cool!

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's simple - my first sight of the campus from whatever....

Jan 6, 2021, 9:40 AM

direction I happen to be coming from.

Jan 6, 2021, 9:42 AM

The orange Paw no matter where it is. As far as for campus, I’d say most iconic is Bowman field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 9:49 AM

Back in the early 80's, I knew I was almost to God's Country when I saw the Tiger Paws painted on I-85 just before the Clemson exit. I wish they were still painted on I-85.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Exit 19B sign

Jan 6, 2021, 9:50 AM

19B

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Dang right.

Jan 6, 2021, 9:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Woah, a rare 19B sighting in the mange***

Jan 6, 2021, 1:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Zimas***

Jan 6, 2021, 9:57 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Not mentioned - CoEds getting a little sun by Shoe Boxes _

Jan 6, 2021, 10:00 AM

was a sign of spring AND the basketball courts at Fike where hangovers were sweated out during countless hours of pickup games.

Truly a beautiful sight. Clemson Girls, Best in the World.

Jan 8, 2021, 8:51 AM

(Sometimes, even best in the Universe!)

See Shawn Weatherly in ye olde Wikipedia.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:02 AM

I got my picture taken with the championship trophy at the BI LO in Seneca in 2019. It still gets me every time I walk in there.

Sirrine Hall

Jan 6, 2021, 10:17 AM

Spent a lot of time there, and a lot of dreams trying to find my class.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sirrine Hall

Jan 6, 2021, 10:31 AM

Harcombe and the student union. Itza pizza late night. The post office to get letters from my Mom. Lot 4 right next to the irrigation ditch for tailgating. Season tickets in the old west end zone right square in the middle so the goal posts lined up with the smoke stacks framing Old Main perfectly. Stirring Hall as well. Plenty of time spent in there.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:29 AM

Tillman and the high rises. Just because they are the first things you see as you approach campus. When I see them I know I’m home.

Beyond, obviously, The Paw......the old stone church on 76***

Jan 6, 2021, 2:27 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”

? John Wayne

I'll add Cooper Library and the reflection pond/amphitheater

Jan 6, 2021, 2:40 PM

That's the OUTSIDE of Cooper library. In 4 years at Clemson, I barely saw the inside.

My first week as a freshman was when the pipe bomb went off in the amphitheater. There was a visible scar on the tree until I think it was eventually taken down.

Re: I'll add Cooper Library and the reflection pond/amphitheater

Jan 6, 2021, 10:44 PM

dsgriff® said:

That's the OUTSIDE of Cooper library. In 4 years at Clemson, I barely saw the inside.

My first week as a freshman was when the pipe bomb went off in the amphitheater. There was a visible scar on the tree until I think it was eventually taken down.

Can you imagine if that pipe bomb went off today? It would be all over national news in seconds. I remember walking to morning classes that fall and the blood from where it injured people remained on the steps between Hardin and Brackett. No one cleaned it off until finally the weather wore it off.

Jan 6, 2021, 2:47 PM

A gold ring with a large "C" and "94".

Jan 6, 2021, 2:56 PM

Johnstone Hall, the Upper and Lower Quads, the old oaks and magnolias in front of the Loggia, Standing at the top of Hernia hill and see the sun reflecting off the snow on the mountains, and most of all friends , many of whom have passed on.

Jan 6, 2021, 2:57 PM

Amphitheater on a Spring day. Bowman Field in the Fall. Running on ### by Hartwell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The buildings around Bowman Field like Sikes, Tillman, and

Jan 6, 2021, 2:58 PM

down toward the road and Mel Hall. After that the two places I lived: Clemson House and Johnstone.

The leaky pipes behind Loose Change where you went to dookie

Jan 6, 2021, 5:53 PM

Late at night when the bathrooms were crowded with weirdos huffing gas and doing high leg kicks.

What was the name of the big rock on the side of the road

Jan 6, 2021, 6:28 PM

on the way in to Clemson that different Clemson Greek groups would paint over all the time? I want to say Paris Rock, but that doesn't sound exactly right.

Jan 7, 2021, 12:16 AM

The Door Knob To Hell just over the lake on Hwy 123.

Jan 7, 2021, 6:03 AM

Tiger paws on the road and old stone church when coming in on the highway from Anderson.

Tiger Paw

Jan 7, 2021, 6:46 AM

Anywhere I see it.

Death Valley and Tillman Hall.***

Jan 7, 2021, 10:49 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Paws and Orange***

Jan 7, 2021, 11:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 1:04 PM

The Holtzendorff YMCA and College Ave! Great memories from early/mid 80’s.

Jan 7, 2021, 6:26 PM

Brackett Hall in the late '60's. It's where I spent most of my time.

Jan 7, 2021, 7:02 PM

Hot roast beef sub sandwich from Chanello's Pizza, delivered to Johnstone D-4. I can still taste it 40 years later. Yummy

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Purple mountains, orange sky over the lake.

Jan 7, 2021, 7:23 PM

I used to stare out my window at that all the time. Most beautiful view ever to me

The Library with reflecting pool was built in early 60's the

Jan 7, 2021, 11:13 PM

same time I went to Clemson. It was the first modern building on campus, and the Clemson Architects did a bang-up job. It is usually the first building shown on most videos of Clemson due to it's striking beauty.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tillman Hall *

Jan 8, 2021, 8:41 AM

Nm

Isn't it ironic that the main answer to my question is a

Jan 8, 2021, 8:47 AM

building that, through no fault of it's own at all, was the source of a great "tempest in a teacup" controversy until it got it's name changed recently? The history revisionists will never be able to change the fact that it was Tillman Hall when the lion's share of us all attended Clemson.

Johnstone got a lot of mentions as well. That's got to be one of those "absence makes the heart grow fonder" deals. I would certainly never wax nostalgic about it when living there and you could hear someone fart three rooms down the hall. :(

Jan 8, 2021, 10:43 PM

Tillman Hall, Tin Cans, Clemson House, Library Pond Causeway & the YMCA!

Jan 8, 2021, 10:54 PM

the pecan grove and the president's house, first thing i would see coming into campus from home in central.

Jan 8, 2021, 11:17 PM

Seeing the stadium from the distance coming across the bridge to come in the “back way” as my dad would say.

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic