Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Someone please defend the basketball coaching yesterday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Someone please defend the basketball coaching yesterday

Mar 1, 2015, 7:00 PM

and make a good argument.

I just can't understand for the life of me what we're doing at times on the court. I know so many defend BB like a brother for some reason. But please explain to me what happen.

I have never seen such odd coaching. BB has a few problems and his style of play leads the way....which will cause problems with recruiting.

We won the game yesterday, but it almost seemed as if we didn't.

BB comes out this week and says " we need to score more and learn better ways to score ".........Well, Brad. Holding the ball like we did for almost 40 minutes of game time isn't a way to " score ".

I myself, have lost all confidence in him. We are a dying basketball program heading in the wrong direction. But the oddest thing of all is the fact people here on tigernet will defend him to no end. " mind bottling "....

Yes I stand by dabo 110%. I stand behind Jack 110%. ( I can't understand the bashing for Jack and none for Brad ).....Has Jack's teams slipped the last 2 years some? Probably. But guess what? His teams always make it to postseason play and are always relevant.

Fans don't show up....Students don't show up.....WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prepare to be mercilously bashed and called a Coot

Mar 1, 2015, 7:09 PM

for questioning the direction of our basketball program.

Re: Prepare to be mercilously bashed and called a Coot

Mar 1, 2015, 7:10 PM

I know... Some of these morons need there heads checked.

It's truly comical...

Mar 1, 2015, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Prepare to be mercilously bashed and called a Coot ]

The TD police will show up as well.

Whats more pathetic? tigerneters who care sooooooo dearly about their " Pulse "....or talking truth about our BB program?

delusion

Mar 1, 2015, 9:10 PM

How many times are you gonna keep responding to yourself?

Anyways, we scored 35 points in the first half. What more do you want? That's a huge improvement.

Also, Roper didn't play as much because we had a senior who nailed 2 3's right out of the gate on Senior Day, and finished with 15 points while playing great defense. Yes, good coaching.

Mar 1, 2015, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Prepare to be mercilously bashed and called a Coot ]

"MercilOUsly"? Really?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Someone please defend the basketball coaching yesterday

Mar 1, 2015, 7:09 PM

Add one more thing.......

Why is Roper not getting minutes now? The only pure shooter we got and he plays 14 minutes yesterday and takes 1 shot.

Good coaching

We won the game

Mar 1, 2015, 7:30 PM

Coaching defended, argument over.

Re: We won the game

Mar 1, 2015, 7:35 PM

Keep that simple mind kind of thinking...

What was the goal going into the Ga Tech game

Mar 1, 2015, 7:37 PM

I'll hang up and listen.

Re: What was the goal going into the Ga Tech game

Mar 1, 2015, 7:39 PM

people like yourself are small minded DA's.

It's COMICAL HOW YOU GUYS DEFEND BB

You didn't answer the question***

Mar 1, 2015, 7:44 PM

Re: What was the goal going into the Ga Tech game

Mar 1, 2015, 8:49 PM [ in reply to What was the goal going into the Ga Tech game ]

I like the consistency of 8-10 wins in acc, but yesterday was pretty curious. Brad is growing into the role like tony Bennett at uva

Are we talking 1st or 2nd half?

Mar 1, 2015, 8:04 PM

Are you inferring that brownell was not responsible for first half but should take all the blame for second half?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's an interesting point indeed

Mar 1, 2015, 8:07 PM

I find it hard to defend or attack the coach yesterday. We got up big because we were shooting well and protecting the ball (and they weren't) in the first half, and it seemed to switch in the second.

In the end we won, and that seems to be the entire point of the endeavor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ultimately, the team won

Mar 1, 2015, 9:05 PM

Long time Clempson fan, and my butt was at games back in '82, '83, '84, and '85 when I was a student. Not exactly great basketball in those days either....in fact....very few "great" basketball years at Clempson. Would I like to have a winning tradition in basketball like Kentucky, UNC, or Duke? You bet, but last I looked Coach Brownell had nothing to do with the years before he arrived.

From a coaching perspective, Coach B is, in my opinion, so much better than Purnell. At least when the Tigers call a time out they seem to actually run a play. Under Purnell, a time out seemed to just be for resting as they never did anything different after a time out. Did Purnell's style of offense and the press catch some teams off guard initially? You bet. Unfortunately, once teams started figuring out the press the "W"s weren't as easy to come by and I think Purnell realized that and jumped when he could. I still remember being up 20 or 22 points against Illinois at halftime under Purnell and losing the game. That was becoming a trend during the later part of his coaching at Clempson, letting big leads disappear and then losing. We let a big lead disappear yesterday for sure, but, we got the W. Did you catch the UNC/Louisville game 3 or 4 weeks ago? UNC let a huge lead disappear. How about when UNC lost a 10 point lead to Duke with 4 minutes to go? Are you saying Coach Williams isn't a good coach? These are young kids and they do stupid things. We don't have the talented players that Kentucky and Duke have that can withstand stupid stuff. I

As for his coaching abilities, seems strong to me. If I was going to question anything yesterday it was letting Grantham throw the ball in near the end of regulation. Granted, near the end of the season and he should not be considered a freshman at this point, but, maybe a more seasoned player needs to be doing that at crunch time. Otherwise, I saw a bunch of missed shots when we needed some makes. As for the style of basketball, defense oriented, that's working pretty good for VA. The last I looked, they were doing pretty well.

So yes, I'm all in with Coach B. Go Tigers!

go long...keep going...going....little more....you're almost

Mar 1, 2015, 9:17 PM

there....

naahhh..

we'll call you if you're needed...

laughable

I can't defend it at all, in fact I think it was pretty bad

Mar 1, 2015, 9:34 PM

In the Duke game, we kept moving the ball into the corners against the press. I thought for sure they would work on breaking a press after that, but clearly they did not. When GT went to a full court press, our guys acted like they had never seen one before, and would either go straight to the corners or turn it over on the inbound pass.

Then factor in how we were dominated on the glass and it was a pretty easy recipe for letting GT back in that game.

Yes, we came out of it with a win...but I don't think it was something to be proud of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

How is giving up too many rebounds Brownell's fault?

Mar 2, 2015, 12:04 AM

Do you think he told our guys not to box out? Do you think that he and his staff don't work on rebounding technique? Do you think they tell our players not to hustle?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Copy/paste to where I said that? TIA

Mar 2, 2015, 7:36 AM

We built a huge lead in the first half with pure hustle on the defensive end of the court. Blocked shots and controlling the boards. But tell me this, what did Brownell do right in the 2nd half?

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Copy/paste to where I said that? TIA

Mar 2, 2015, 10:28 AM

We did the exact same things we did in the first half. He punched the right numbers at the right times, we just failed to finish the shots.

The defensive letdown is an extension of what I mentioned in another thread last week- our guys are not mature enough yet to handle success. Typically that cane be seen game to game or week to week when we have a stretch of success. Saturday we saw the switch flip off at halftime. We also regrouped and played a solid 5 minute overtime. That in a nutshell, is where this team is at right now.

Those things will happen when your leaders are a freshman and a sophomore. Youth=inconsistency. Always has. Always will.

Mar 1, 2015, 11:15 PM

I'll bet you a lot of money that we will make the tourney next year

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2015, 11:17 PM

We won but??? Lol

Mar 2, 2015, 3:03 AM

I have watched the game 3 times now, especially the last 15 minutes. I don't see why everyone, including the announcers, are saying "we held the ball". What we did do is execute sets at a high level ( half court) only to miss shots at the end of a set. That's not holding the ball, that is executing your offense. We had a breakdown or 2 in the 2nd half, but for the most part, we got the shots we wanted.

As for the press, a true freshman turned the ball over versus a very athletic press. As painful as it was to watch, that shouldn't make headlines. GT forced us to throw over the top; we did that on successful trips. BB can be seen on camera telling the players just that. Sometimes players don't do as they are coached- again not a headline story.

My biggest concern was giving up as many points as we did in 2nd half. BB did an excellent job refocusing the guys at end of regulation, as GT obviously had all of the momentum. Teams don't typically win that game after blowing a 20 pt lead. We did. By executing. Brownell's gameplan. On both ends of the floor.

Let me also point out that Brad has lost to GT once I believe since he has been here. And they are typically one of the most athletic teams in the conference. ATL is a hot bed for hoops talent. Look at their history. Brad would win a national championship at GT.

Be glad he is on our side.

Mar 2, 2015, 7:48 AM

We won..... defense over.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 2, 2015, 7:56 AM

This is all I'm going to say about it . If Clemson Basketball is to ever do anything a coaching change will have to be made. But if everyone's happy with just being over 500 over year BB is our man.

Mar 2, 2015, 7:57 AM

We won!

We won the game and you still try and spin

Mar 2, 2015, 8:54 AM

it into a negative.

Infect some happiness and positive influence in your life, we won the freaking game.

That's enough defense for me.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic