Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Okay --- The eSECpn talking heads seem to sway everyone
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 3,551

Okay --- The eSECpn talking heads seem to sway everyone

Sep 20, 2015, 8:04 PM

And the over-ranked SEC teams that beat other over-ranked SEC teams continue to be over-ranked as well as the losing over-ranked SEC teams.

Auburn should not even be ranked --- but LSU jumped eight power spots because they beat the over-ranked Auburn team who is primarily over-ranked because they were over-ranked in the pre-season poll that nobody cares about because it doesn't mean anything.

YES IT DOES ### IT!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly ... the mythical "SEC strength of schedule" has alot

Sep 20, 2015, 8:16 PM

to do with "justifying" a 2-loss SEC team getting in the playoff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so Ole Miss and TCU are tied at #3.....

Sep 20, 2015, 8:19 PM

too bad there's no way to compare them head-to-head; if they had only played recently...like in a bowl game or something last season.

Re: Okay --- The eSECpn talking heads seem to sway everyone

Sep 20, 2015, 8:20 PM

That's the problem exactly with the polls. Bias voting. Another system is needed but won't be found.
Many may not like this but I believe rankings should be determined by a computer system which would eliminate biased voting. I'm not a technical geek so I really don't know if this would work or not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2015, 8:28 PM

I remember correctly back in the day there was a formula that used a good number of computer polls to help determine the top two teams for a championship. Some liked it. Some didn't.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2015, 8:57 AM

No the computer ranking was only 1/3 of the BCS and the computer rankings used were found to use preseason/SOS data populated by the program creator. The problem is the only people interested in making it have a bias in some way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sagarins poll has 1. Miss 2. Bama 3. UGa 5. UGA

Sep 21, 2015, 3:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Okay --- The eSECpn talking heads seem to sway everyone ]

Bama's loss didn't hurt them too much since it was the #1 and #2 team playing each other

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

link

Sep 21, 2015, 3:41 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

there are 5 one loss teams ahead of Clemson

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

like the BCS?

Sep 21, 2015, 7:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Okay --- The eSECpn talking heads seem to sway everyone ]

Sep 20, 2015, 8:32 PM

Agreed. If they start out too high, it does make a difference. It is harder to climb against the bias rather than to fall from being too highly ranked because of it.

Preseason polls establish a totally false baseline which

Sep 20, 2015, 8:40 PM

always favors teams that get the most media hype. This creates a false perception about these teams and aids the strength of schedule of their opponents, even if they themselves eventually falter. The die is cast before the season starts in that respect.

A legitimate poll would be based entirely on game performance during the season, and really should not begin until after three or four games, and blowout wins over cupcakes and FCS teams should be totally discounted. Using those common sense guidelines, Auburn would never have been ranked at all, and wins over them would count for very little, and the top 25 would not be stacked with SEC teams who are only there because of perception created by hype which is subsequently "confirmed" by illegitimate polls.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

AMEN***

Sep 20, 2015, 8:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well said!***

Sep 20, 2015, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Preseason polls establish a totally false baseline which ]

Re: Preseason polls establish a totally false baseline which

Sep 21, 2015, 5:58 AM [ in reply to Preseason polls establish a totally false baseline which ]

Danny Kanell is the only person I hear pushing for polls to be releases only after 5-6 weeks into the season. It is the only chance to get a more accurate ranking-though the sec bias would still be out there.

Re: Preseason polls establish a totally false baseline which

Sep 21, 2015, 8:02 AM [ in reply to Preseason polls establish a totally false baseline which ]

Would Clemson be ranked using this strategy?

Clearly you guys are a top 25 team, but if I have to discount your wins over two cupcakes and an 0-3 Louisville team what justification do I have to put you in the top 25?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Very sorry for the inconvenience, but you should not have

Sep 21, 2015, 8:50 AM

been on distribution for my original post. I will discuss with my admin how this happened and try to ensure that the error is not repeated. Again, please accept my sincerest apologies.

And that's fine. The only real way to solve this is to

Sep 21, 2015, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Preseason polls establish a totally false baseline which ]

render polls more or less meaningless by means of a playoff system which rewards conference champions over poll favorites and actual on-field performance over media hype. At this point, I don't know if Clemson has done anything to wow anybody, and again, that's okay; but Auburn has clearly shown that they do not belong anywhere close to the top 25. The eye test after 4 games is a good indicator, and would establish a much more legitimate baseline than pure hype driven speculation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Not yet, and I'm fine with that so long as

Sep 21, 2015, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Preseason polls establish a totally false baseline which ]

your current ranking doesn't have such a large impact on your eventual ceiling.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree.

Sep 20, 2015, 10:35 PM

It's a breach of public trust to control the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And a transvestite of justice.***

Sep 20, 2015, 10:52 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And a transvestite of justice.***

Sep 21, 2015, 3:43 AM

NO, that's Heather Dinich, she is an ESPiN reporter and has nothing to do with justice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup.. the "polls dont matter" folks are just wrong.

Sep 21, 2015, 10:49 AM

Its the basis for SOS, and the primary indicator for the committee to use outside of wins and losses.

null

Replies: 21
| visibility 3,551
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic