Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
At Clemson, unmarked slave graves highlight plantation past
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 539

At Clemson, unmarked slave graves highlight plantation past

Apr 7, 2021, 7:23 PM

https://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/at-clemson-unmarked-slave-graves-highlight-plantation-past/QIPGV6FCEJBUZDUUV6QGFP3WXU/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting. I did not know when attending. Now unsure ...

Apr 7, 2021, 7:44 PM

how to show proper respect.

Understanding the history seems a reasonable place to start.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, if you walk up there during a game day, smoke

Apr 7, 2021, 7:51 PM

some spleef there but don't pyss there. I've done both all over those woods.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting. *****

Apr 7, 2021, 7:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eazy there, Celtic. They're dead for crying out loud.

Apr 8, 2021, 9:44 AM

Try to keep it in your pants.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

there is a university website detailing it

Apr 7, 2021, 8:20 PM

nobody knew how large it was until recently, even now it's not clear. The underground radar technology was not available until modern times to detect things like this. But they are now making the effort to try and find everything that they can identify.

I've had the experience in my career of hitting large unmarked burial grounds/forgotten cemeteries twice doing major construction projects. Stops you in your tracks. It's something nobody wants to experience, but it's reality given the circumstances of history and poor recordkeeping of long ago eras. Just think how many unknown graves are underneath pavement in any large city, or interstate highways, or even man-made lakes like Hartwell. I think about it every time I see construction ground broken somewhere, wonder whose grave they might be building right on top of. Impossible to know. Stuff like this crosses my mind because I have experienced it.

https://www.clemson.edu/about/history/woodland-cemetery/timeline.html

here's the map in case you missed link

Apr 7, 2021, 8:28 PM

https://media.clemson.edu/woodland/CemeteryMap-Brochure.pdf

274 Challis Court, Rock Hill, SC is the only unmarked

Apr 8, 2021, 7:26 AM [ in reply to there is a university website detailing it ]

graveyard we had the pleasure of finding that I recall. When I worked at a previous employer, we built those two neighborhoods near there and found that old family plot while paving roads. You can see the sewer cleanouts for houses there, but the lots are not buildable because of the graveyard and the associated haints that live there.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's definitely a pain.

Apr 8, 2021, 9:11 AM

You gotta make sure they're NEVER going to build there.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ever look out over a lake and think of something buried

Apr 8, 2021, 9:05 AM [ in reply to there is a university website detailing it ]

underneath it? Buried underneath it?? Man, that's just about as buried as you can get!"

Burt in Deliverance... about burying the mountain man they killed, as that whole area was about to be flooded for a huge lake.

scooter

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Lake Chatuge in North GA

Apr 8, 2021, 9:13 AM

has barns, houses and all kinds of stuff below. There are a couple of islands that have graveyards on them up on higher ground. I have thought about this too.....are there graveyards at the bottom of the lake that no one will ever know about?

This is when I start thinking cremation is the way to go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh yeah, and I think we've discussed this before... but there's

Apr 8, 2021, 9:35 AM

all kinda stuff under Lake Jocassee. There are videos on youtube of what divers have found... a hotel, houses, school buses, tombstones, etc. Kinda spooky....

tigermanac®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re not truly forgotten until the entire graveyard is unmarked.

Apr 7, 2021, 8:32 PM

Slowly, but surely, history will be erased. And then we will have nothing to worry us anymore. Or no place to place our flowers for remembrance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At Clemson, unmarked slave graves highlight plantation past

Apr 7, 2021, 8:43 PM

They are not sure how many are buried there. Markers are close together...

at least, slaves didn't build university buildings, as UVA

Apr 7, 2021, 8:54 PM

and UNC are now struggling with. Don't have a link handy, but Jefferson's famous weaving brick walls at UVA were designed to separate/hide slaves working from the college elites.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That may be true, but I don't think we need to go throwing

Apr 7, 2021, 9:06 PM

stones around.

agree. John C Calhoun may not be the stellar statesman we

Apr 7, 2021, 9:53 PM

were taught to believe in SC. But it's not necessarily fair to view ancient history with today's understanding. And all the Calhoun descendants I know personally are fine, upstanding, responsible adults, a credit to their family name. At least according to current standards.

SC has a lot of paradoxes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Katherine Calhoun Dennis says

Apr 7, 2021, 11:14 PM

"hey, hold my beer"

thanks i think***

Apr 8, 2021, 7:09 AM [ in reply to agree. John C Calhoun may not be the stellar statesman we ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you missed this quote

Apr 8, 2021, 7:13 AM [ in reply to at least, slaves didn't build university buildings, as UVA ]

"The flags are a recent addition, marking the final resting places of the enslaved and convicted African American laborers who built the school, and before that, the plantation on which it sits."

Enslaved African Americans built the school...in 1889...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, I was confused by that as well.....***

Apr 8, 2021, 8:55 AM

they misspelled convicts***

Apr 8, 2021, 2:01 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Question regarding development & use of GPR technology.

Apr 8, 2021, 9:11 AM

My first GPR recollection was in the 90’s when civil & environmental engineers used it quite a bit on Superfund Haz waste sites and Military facilities. Finding buried drum of nasty materials was important for remediation.

Was it around commercially before that and what capabilities does the latest technology bring? (Yea I know I am a few searches away _ but 1st hand testimony is kind of cool.)

it's still educated guesswork

Apr 8, 2021, 9:45 AM

you're basically looking for soil anomalies or voids in the 4-6' below ground range. 100, maybe 200 years old in some cases. Even if you "know" it's a grave, it still may not be clear due to degradation. As you can see from that Clemson map, some "findings" are right on top of each other, and sometimes spread out in all sorts of odd angles. No one knows if the count is even near accurate high or low. That's just how many "hot spots", or possibilities, they found.

you get an image like this to make your determination:

Replies: 23
| visibility 539
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic