Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wednesday's game: Clemson at Coastal Carolina
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Wednesday's game: Clemson at Coastal Carolina

Dec 18, 2012, 1:00 PM

Who: Clemson (6-3) at Coastal Carolina (3-5)
When: Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Where: HTC Center in Conway, S.C., capacity 3,200
Is it a sellout? As of Tuesday morning, tickets were still available ($12 to $20), but alas, we aren't part of the Family Fun Pack. Wonder why?
Is it on TV: It is if you get ESPN3
Last time we met: A very painful memory at Littlejohn last year. Chris Gradnigo tipped in a shot at the buzzer to give the Chants a 60-59 win. It was Coastal's first win ever over the Tigers.
What's the spread? Nothing out of Vegas yet. Pomeroy likes Clemson by 9
Only 9? How come?Because while Coastal isn't a world-beater this year, they've shown an ability to score points. Sure, it was against the Iron Chefs of Johnson and Wales, but anytime you take on a team wielding frying pans on defense, it's gotta count for something.

The Chants were just too much for Chef Kaga. What about Clemson?

Truth be told, it's hard to tell just how good the Chants are this year. They can score, and they're very active on the boards. At the same time, Coastal is prone to those Clemson-esque offensive swoons, and aside from an early season road match vs. Ole Miss, they haven't played tough competition.

Raffa: Don't bring that weak sous chef stuff in here!

So here's what we know: The Chants had a very good shooting guard in 6-1 senior Anthony Raffa (20 ppg, 5 reb, 2 ast, 2 st, 3 to). This is their team offense, pretty much. he takes about a third of the Chants' shots, and isn't shy about cranking from the arc. He was unstoppable against the Fighting Fry Cooks of Johnson and Wales (26 points) and the Fla. International Whoevers (34 points).
Against defensive stalwarts like Boston U and the Fighting Snakes Handlers of Toccoa Falls Bible College, he's been less productive. In short, put a body on Raffa and the Chants have to look elsewhere for points.

No, no! Not Lee Greenwood!

The next option is senior point guard Kierre Greenwood (11 ppg, 5 ast) who's also the teams top 3-point shooter. He's coming off ACL surgery last year and still finding his groove. Sophomore guard Warren Gillis (10 ppg, 4 reb, 2 ast) is similar in size and skill. But HE managed to hit double figures against Toccoa.

Inside, Coastal boasts some size, and a tendency to foul, in 6-10 junior center El Hadji Ndieguene (7 ppg, 7 reb). A newcomer from Senegal, he's still learning the game, which may make things fun for Booker. he hasn't fouled out yet, but it appears to just be a matter of time. Another import, freshman forward Michel Enanga (7 ppg, 6 reb)is enthusiastic on the offensive boards.

After that, the Coastal bench sort of melts into a collection of 10-minute, 4-point blobs ... sort of like a box of Christmas candy left on the car dashboard.

As a team, Coastal is very good on the offensive boards, and does a credible job inside on defense. Their guards are all active, and if we insist on that lazy half-court pass across the top of the key, or if our forwards begin dribbling idly, they'll be able to steal the ball. Coastal likes to play a zone unless forced to come out, and they'll pack the paint and dare you to shoot.

Their shooting defense, however, isn't all that good, about #300 nationally ... and that's against less-than-stellar competition. Opposing teams are shooting about 57 percent on the Chants. Florida A&M would likely shred them from the outside, so I'm anticipating a similar fate from our guys. That's one reason their opponent rebound percentage is so good ... there just aren't as many missed shots to rebound.

That said, Clemson will be their last chance to make a statement against an OOC team. And it's on the road. And they may have smuggled a couple of skillets away from Johnson and Wales. So Clemson must be vigilant.

Inside, outside, on the break....how you want it, Coastal?

How will the Tigers respond? I think its safe to say we'll see freshman guard Jordan Roper (6 ppg, but 16 points against A&M) starting again. He's a nightmare matchup for Coastal: a quick, attacking guard with a knack from hitting from the win (50 percent from the arc).

While Devin Booker (11 ppg, 7 reb) is keeping the Chants busy inside, I'm not sure what they'll try to do with KJ McDaniels (12 ppg, 6 reb, 2.5 blk, 1.5 ESPN highlights per game). Guard Rod Hall (7 ppg, 2 reb, 5 ast) shuld have fun finding open shooters as well against a plodding zone defense.

This could be a breakout game for Milt Jennings (11 ppg, 6 reb, 2 ast). It will be his last game as a Tiger in the Lowcountry, and given the Chants' lack of size at forward, he might want to make the most of it.

As a team, the Tigers is coming off the biggest rebound advantage (17) in a game since Brad Brownell came to Clemson. I don't see that happening against the Chants and their inside zone, but if we're making as many shots as we should, it won't really matter.

Clemson forces twice as many turnovers as Coastal does, and the Tigers 2-point shooting defense is about 20 percent better. Neither bode well for the Chants. The only clear edge Coastal might enjoy is at the free throw line ... but who doesn't against Clemson?

Now go out there and get me 80 points!

What's the outcome? Does anyone know how long it's been since Clemson scored 80 points in an opponent's gym? Here's a hint: Demontez Stitt was the starting point guard. It was November of 2009 at UNC-G.

If Clemson decides to bring its shooting shoes and hit a few from the line, we could finally do it again. After looking at this game, there's no reason to think Clemson can't whip Coastal, inside or out.

*Unless we let Coastal steal the ball a dozen or so times, let their guards bomb from outside and then go, say nine minutes in the first half without scoring. But THAT could never happen, right?

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wednesday's game: Clemson at Coastal Carolina

Dec 18, 2012, 1:08 PM

Rev:

What is meant by MJ's last game as a Tiger in his home state????

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think rev meant last game in his hometown***

Dec 18, 2012, 2:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahhh, maybe I know something?

Dec 18, 2012, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Wednesday's game: Clemson at Coastal Carolina ]

Nope...just harried between tasks here.

Thanks for the heads-up!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wednesday's game: Clemson at Coastal Carolina

Dec 18, 2012, 2:40 PM

Excellent!

Hilarious, read this after the blowout

Dec 19, 2012, 11:33 PM

especially the "shooting shoes" part, and "while Booker is keeping them busy inside".

I really think sometimes we live in an artificial reality. But thanks for continuing to at least entertain us.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic