Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Watson a more complete player than Lamar Jackson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 4,190

New Story: Watson a more complete player than Lamar Jackson

Oct 4, 2016, 7:42 AM

Watson a more complete player than Lamar Jackson

Last Saturday’s top five contest between Clemson and Louisville was billed as a marquee matchup of two of the nation’s best quarterbacks between Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson, and head coach Dabo Swinney says the better player won the game.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Watson a more complete player than Lamar Jackson

Oct 4, 2016, 7:47 AM

Dabo is right. Jackson can look flashy and put up big numbers versus Middle of Nowhere state university but he throws temper tantrums and isn't poised when his team needs him the most. I don't think he will win the heisman trophy for that reason.

Oct 4, 2016, 11:29 AM

I just don't understand why is this a necessary conversation to be having on a Tuesday after the game played on Saturday night when DW4 proved that he was still the best ### QB in the country by beating who they were then saying was the best QB in Lamar Jackson. I've heard all my life to be the best, you have to beat the Best, DW4 beat the new guy that were claiming to be the best. Any conversation on Tuesday about who is the best is moot. We have also seen the heisman trophy go to the second or third best player before, bc it wasn't awarded to the very best player in the country as in CJ Spiller. So for me, it wouldn't be a shocker to see the heisman trophy go to the wrong player again bc the best player played at Clemson....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Video for those that want to watch it.

Oct 4, 2016, 7:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=darq1z_MQgQ

good stuff, thanks***

Oct 4, 2016, 9:09 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Oct 4, 2016, 7:57 AM

Watson is was and will be a leader. From where I sat Saturday night Jackson got rattled real bad in first half too big of a stage?? I would bet the coaches talked him off the ledge at halftime and he had a big second half

Don't tell Greg McElroy that.***

Oct 4, 2016, 8:11 AM

LOL

Oct 4, 2016, 8:47 AM

true, the butthurt is strong with him

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Oct 4, 2016, 8:24 AM

I am sure all of the sports writers that are currently fueling the 'Lamar Jackson Love Fest' are not going to like this, but I for one (and I am sure that all of Tiger Family will agree) am dayum GLAD HCDS during this interview 'went to bat' for DW4!

As the old timers used to tell me as a kid: "It ain't bragging if you just keep to the facts."

The facts, stats and final score tell you two things:

1. It's a team game;

2. Our team - LED by Deshaun Watson on offense - won.

End of discussion.

GO TIGERS - BEAT BOSTON COLLEGE!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 4, 2016, 10:46 AM

Reminded me of a game I was at when another #4 was behind and took his team length of the field to score "the catch".Was told that at the start of the drive, Fuller walked into the huddle, looked his team in the eyes and said let's go win this thing!

Watson a more complete player than Lamar Jackson

Oct 4, 2016, 8:47 AM

Jackson is a kid who needs to grow up. Nobody did anything to him on the field, but Boulware took the high road and apologized when he really had nothing to apologize for ( kinda like apologizing to the wife to keep peace! ). Watson was the best player in college football last year ( why don't the Heisman voters wise up and vote in late January when the season is really over instead of December?! ), and he is the best player in college football this year. A slow start doesn't define a winner--the finish does. Also, no one can convince me that the guy with the ball in his hands every play making reads, handing off, throwing, and/or running doesn't have to be smarter/better/quicker/etc. than a running back. Maybe that's not fair, but that's just the way it is...

I think you'd have a different opinion than this

Oct 4, 2016, 9:10 AM

if you saw Jackson's interview after the game. Sure he could have given more props to Clemson's defense, but he faced all the questions straight up and generally did a very good job with it.

I was surprised as well after seeing his reaction in-game to the Boulware thing.

I have no idea what he's really like, but based on the interview, there doesn't seem to be any reason to hate on the kid.

Based on his ability to hit check downs during the game - the throw to Quick was simply the last one of many - and keep his head up, looking down field while under pressure in the pocket, I'd say the kid has a fair shot at being a very good throwing QB if he continues to work on things.

Now, we all would rather have DW, that's for sure, but I think that LJ showed he's a game competitor as well.

Jackson is a much more dangerous weapon when thing go hectic

Oct 4, 2016, 9:08 AM

Watson keeps things from going hectic. That last TD to Leggett was proof that Watson is a better true QB. He stayed patient when his primary reads were covered and the line was starting to give. He waited to let Leggett clear the LBs for a huge gain. He could have scrambled but knew he had better options available if he just stayed calm.

Now, there is a good chance that Jackson would have just scrambled for a TD out of all that chaos. But Jackson IS their entire offense. Jackson will likely win a Heisman before Watson because he has to make up for the lack of running game etc and will have gaudy numbers. Jackson is to their offense what Woody Dantzler was to ours in the early 2000s. He's just better at it.

Re: Jackson is a much more dangerous weapon when thing go hectic

Oct 4, 2016, 11:00 AM

Wouldn't say jackson is their entire offense

He's their leading rusher and has 28 TDs

Oct 4, 2016, 12:07 PM

He's almost 45% of their rushing yards. He's had 14 passing TDs and 14 rushing TDs. They've had 8 rushing TDs outside of him. Even with all the blowouts, his backup as only attempted 13 throws

He's their offense.

Oct 4, 2016, 9:56 AM

Let's get this out of the way: Jackson is a phenomenal athlete. Most of the praise he gets is well-deserved.

That said, he didn't get most of his yards until our D switched to a zone and was on the field for 38 minutes, and after they'd already played ~55 plays in just the first half. And even with that gaudy 3rd quarter, our D held them well under their season average for yards-per-play, and Jackson specifically well under his usual numbers.

Now, that's not to take away from Louisville. They came up with the turnovers to put their offense back on the field. But it's also because our offense scored so ridiculously fast on them.

For amusement, comparison of L'Ville games vs us and FSU:

Louisville vs FSU:
66 plays, 530 total yards, 8 yds per play
13 for 20 passing, 10.8 per toss
46, 6.8 yds per rush
63 points

vs Clemson:
99 total plays, 568 total yards, 5.7 yds per play, 30% lower.
27 for 44 passing, 6.7 per toss, 38% lower.
55 rushes, 5.0 yds per rush, 27% lower.
36 points, 43% lower.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I prefer Watson over Jackson

Oct 4, 2016, 9:59 AM

He is Clemson and he is ours.

But I have to also see what is before me.

Watson had 1 fumble on 14 rushes. DW had 3 interceptions in 31 attempts. 3 INTs - 1 was Ray Ray, 1 in endzone was behind Mike W (bad throw/good play), 1 was to either Deon or Ray Ray and the DB played it well (maybe OK throw, great play).
QBR Rating = 181.3
Watson played against not as good a defense as Jackson
Watson's WRs are much better than Louisville's.
Watson's TE may be equally as good as Louisville TE.
Wayne Gallman is better than Louisville RBs. He was only RB who shows up in stats as playing.

Jackson had 1 interception in his 44 attempts. 1 INT on a great play by our safety, who covered a lot of ground to get that ball. Jackson had no fumbles for his 31 rushes.
QBR Rating - 120.6
Jackson played against a much better and deeper defense.
Jackson's WRs are not near as good as Clemson's.
Jackson's TE may be equally as good as Leggett.

I prefer DW over the Louisville guy, but Lamar Jackson almost engineered the comeback. He did not step out of bounds on final play. He threw to a wide open WR, James Quick, who did not fight hard enough to get first down or touchdown.

Clemson was only up by six. So thank the Lawd that the crowd created the false start. Thank the Lawd that quick was not as determined or the fighter as our A.Scott. Thank the Lawd Edmonds played inside out and got some push onto to Quick.

But we better give Lamar Jackson his due. He played very well, but his team met their match.

Some things that no one talks about:
- Punk Petrino is a fine play caller. He almost bested Coach V.
- Thank the Lawd that Dabo has created a recruiting machine in Clemson. Talent with discipline will win.
- Thank the Lawd that the first two-point fail did not hurt us.

Re: I prefer Watson over Jackson

Oct 4, 2016, 10:25 AM

Some points you failed to mention (which doesn't make sense if you are a true Clemson fan):
* Deshaun & Clemson dominated 3 out of 4 quarters.
* Were it not for 2 critical turnovers in the 3rd quarter, Deshaun & Clemson would have blown the Cards out!!
* Were it not for those same 2 critical turnovers in the 3rd quarter, people wouldn't even be talking about L Alexander in the Heisman discussion.
* When the pressure was most intense, DW4 was incredibly poised and produced in phenomenal fashion like a true leader does! When the pressure was most intense, L Alexander became very frustrated and openly angry at refs and his own teammates.
* DW4 leads a Clemson team that has many, many more wins against high ranked teams than Louisville, by far!
* Clemson won the game under DW4 at the helm. Louisville lost the game under L Alexander at the helm, period!!

I was impressed with Lamar Jackson.

Oct 4, 2016, 10:16 AM

He fought his first half demons, had a real good second half, and drove his team down the field on his last drive. But he is no DW! We have the best QB in the nation. Period!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deshuan much more level headed

Oct 4, 2016, 10:39 AM

Impressed with Lamar Jackson, but take Watson every day. Never see Deshuan lose his composure the way Jackson did. Screaming and officials yelling at and pushing coaches. Take deshuan every day

Message was edited by: macgandy97®

Oct 4, 2016, 11:40 AM

How much more can one subject be over-analyzed? Sheesh.

DW4 could eat pancakes

Oct 4, 2016, 12:29 PM

off of Lamar's head.

Pooieville Fartnals.

LOL

Like what Danny Kanell had to say: "Lamar for college, and

Oct 4, 2016, 3:25 PM

DW4 best for pros (to build a team around)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2016, 2:34 PM

I remember when Jackson got submitted and caused a scene no lie, I looked straight at my parents and said "BULLware is in his head and he is pissed. Watch and see, he's got to do it on his own now and will try to score all by himself". And sure enough, go back and watch that specific play after the rear naked choke. BULLware had NO INTENTION of biting on the zone read handoff. He knew he was in his head and that L Jackson would take it himself. BULLware went straight to him and laid the lumber again. D-Wat would NEVER let someone between his ears like that. Enough said...

Replies: 23
| visibility 4,190
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic