Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Visiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 71
| visibility 1

Visiting

Nov 16, 2015, 10:45 AM

We are looking for advice. We are coming to the game this weekend and are fired up to see the #1 team in the nation!!!

Where do we need to eat?
What bars do we need to go to?
Tailgating? (We accept invitations- we have cash and can bring beer)
Attire?
Traditions?
Other

A little background.
We are 4 guys from Phoenix, 36-42 years old who pick 1 game to go to each year and we are fired up to be coming to Clemson. In the past decade we have been to Notre Dame, Michigan, LSU, Oklahoma State, A&M, Florida and many more besides our local games and bowls (including 2 national championship games). We are 2 Sun Devils, a Duck and a Beaver.

We want local and alumni advice on what to do and see

We fly into Atlanta Thursday at noon, drive up and then head back to Atlanta Sunday morning to watch Falcons game. So we have Thursday afternoon until Sunday morning.

Thank you in advance

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome to Death Valley

Nov 16, 2015, 10:48 AM

You should be receiving many recommendations shortly for your trip.

I would just offer The Esso Club, if only for 30 minutes. They take cash and they have beer!

Enjoy the day and have a great time!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome to GODS Country!

Nov 16, 2015, 2:12 PM

Home of the number 1 team in the land!

Highly recommend the Smokin' Pig for BBQ. Just don't eat

Nov 16, 2015, 11:18 AM

all the brisket before I get there on Saturday. They ran out before the FSU game.

Re: Visiting

Nov 16, 2015, 11:28 AM

Y'all picked the wrong game to visit.
Wake will not bring out the best in Death Valley.

Nov 16, 2015, 11:50 AM

Friday night, I would be in downtown Greenville. You can park and walk door to door to restaurants and pubs!

Cough coughbullsheet cough cough

Nov 16, 2015, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

Valley will be rockin. ..

I use ticket prices as proof.

Seems the ranking and last home game have driven up interest.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

??? There are NO bad games to visit in Death Valley.

Nov 16, 2015, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

Hope you guys have a safe trip and get to enjoy all Clemson has to offer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends on what you are looking for...

Nov 16, 2015, 12:04 PM

are you looking to strictly drink & party...or learn something about the campus and surrounding area?

My suggestions...

Daylight

1. Clemson is one of the most beautiful campuses there is...bar none...take time to walk around on Friday while it's not crowded.
2. Visit Death Valley on Friday.
3. This weekend is Military Appreciation weekend...CU has a rich Military History with many plazas, statues, memorials, etc.
4. Get ice cream at the Hendrix Center
5. Visit Botanical Gardens
6. Golf at Walker Course

Nightlife
1. Some good bars downtown...don't miss Esso and Tiger Town Tavern
2. Downtown Greenville for restaurants & bars is awesome...45 minute drive from campus.

You'll be welcome at any tailgate you visit! There won't be many WF fans at this game, BUT...it is the final home game of what has been an awesome season...DEATH VALLEY will be rocking!

Enjoy your visit and post back letting us know how it went!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2015, 12:06 PM

> We are 2 Sun Devils, a Duck and a Beaver.

There's a punchline here, I just can't find it.

You will have to wait till they walk into the ESSO.***

Nov 16, 2015, 3:16 PM

2 Sun Devils, a Duck and a Beaver walk into the ESSO.

Nov 16, 2015, 3:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

Bartender says, "what is this, some kind of joke?"

Yeah, I know, not funny. At least it wasn't a knock-knock joke...

Nov 16, 2015, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

> > We are 2 Sun Devils, a Duck and a Beaver.
>
> There's a punchline here, I just can't find it.

What do you do with a Sun Devil with 3 balls?

(you walk him and pitch to the duck)

ta-da!

Two sun devils, a beaver and a duck walk into the Esso club

Nov 17, 2015, 6:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

They see Chris Fowler at the bar and ask him why he is dressed like an emo punk.

Nov 18, 2015, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

Bartender looks at the Devils, and says "We don't serve your kind in here." Then, he turns to the duck and says "Nice beaver."

Sorry, the debils made me do it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome. While this game might not be as "electric" as other

Nov 16, 2015, 12:09 PM

games were this season. Expect a sellout crowd mostly donned in purple to witness us clinch an undefeated home record for the second year in a row. You also should enjoy the military salute and the pageantry associated with our school's rich military history.

It is an honor to be considered a premier game location for college football fans who are simply coming out of curiosity. We hope you enjoy the charm of Clemson and our fans treat you with that famous hospitality we so proudly tout.

If this is your first time in SC, I would recommend a Friday evening spent in downtown Greenville. This time of year, it is very nicely lit up and people flock downtown for its festivities. It boasts some of the best restaurants in the state all contained in a several block radius. I would recommend Rick Erwins, Soby's or High Cotton if you are looking for upscale dining. Downtown G'ville also has a multitude of reasonably priced restaurants offering delicious fare. After dinner, there are several good bars on the main street strip that always offer a great time.

For saturday, you have to see the Esso Club made famous by none other than Brent Musberger who is the only "member" of the Esso Club. He has a plaque inside. It is a dump, but it is an institution with cheap canned beer and good bar food.

You also shouldn't miss Tiger Walk at the West Endzone a few hours before kickoff. Be sure to get in the stadium and in your seat by about 3:10 p.m. You do not want to miss the hill entrance. Also wear purple if you have it because about 80% of the stadium will be wearing purple for this game.

I 2nd this post. If you will be here for a few days, then

Nov 16, 2015, 4:05 PM

definitely get out and see some of the area. If you like the outdoors, there's lots to do and see. I would try and hit Greenville's Main St, probably Thursday evening. http://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/

Don't limit yourself to ESSO. I like the place fine but there's nothing else there...I prefer to bar hop downtown.

Wander through the tailgate lots before the game. Be friendly and you'll be invited in like family.

Nov 16, 2015, 12:16 PM

Glad to hear that you are coming to the REAL Death Valley! Although, the Wake game is not getting all of the hype as a some of our other games, you are sure to have a great time!

This game is our last home game of the season. It has been designated as Senior Day and Military Appreciation Day. Clemson has a rich military heritage, and is proud to show it. It is likely that our team will wear purple (not our usual orange) jerseys in its honor. Purple is one of our school colors, though not has well branded with Clemson as orange and white. We will probably get a flyover during the National Anthem, which is always freaking awesome.

Where do we need to eat? There are lots to chose from... Casual: Smoking Pig, Esso. Fine: Calhoun's Corner. I'm sure many will chime in on where to eat.

What bars do we need to go to? Tiger Town Tavern on College Ave (Clemson's main street downtown) is a must see. It will get really crowded late night, but not so bad earlier. TD's is also a good time and a block closer to campus. But no trip to Clemson is complete without a visit to Esso. I'll post a map later with locations. All are easy walks from campus.

Tailgating? (We accept invitations- we have cash and can bring beer) Clemson is an awesome venue for tailgating. It is mandatory, I think. Some fans arrive at 7am, regardless of kick off time. Just walk around and you'll be offered more food and drink than you can consume.

Attire? Don't feel obligated to wear Clemson (or Wake) gear. You will be welcomed in your own colors. Football jerseys are NOT normal attire for men over 18 down south though. I think the weather is looking a bit cool 56 high-39 Lo.

Traditions? Obviously, we are most known for our entrance. After warmsup, players will leave the locker rooms on the west end of the stadium and hop on buses to go around to the east endzone, or "the hill" as it is known. There, players rub "Howard's Rock" to affirm their commitment to give 110% and then run down the hill onto the field. Given this is senior day, this process will go a bit slower than normal since they will announce each senior by name for him to run down the hill for the last time. For all other games, it is usually a race to the bottom at the sound of the cannon.

If you decide to cheer for Clemson, there is a few things to note. Our fight song is Tiger Rag. The band will play that before the players run down the hill, after we score and other moments during the game. The crowd will join in to spell Clemson during the song. Each letter is yelled on the beat, but you skip a beat before the "N". So it's "C - L - E - M - S - O -__- N". Some rebels in the crowd will "Woo Hoo" right before this part. Please ignore these misguided folks.

Other
Please take a walk through campus it is beautiful. We do have 4-5 major construction projects under way on campus, so please forgive our mess. Also, getting to the game on game day from your hotel. Not sure where you are staying, but if you drive your rental car to the game, almost all on campus parking lots require parking passes. You can buy one from a season ticket holder under the "Tickets" section on this site. Otherwise, you will need to pay to park. There are several houses, business that sell parking spaces along hwy 93 that runs along the north edge of campus. This area is close to downtown as well. While you could easily get a cab or Uber to the game, getting one afterwards is near impossible.

Hope you have fun and safe travels. Go Tigers!!

Re: Parking Info

Nov 16, 2015, 12:21 PM

Here are the lot numbers around and on campus for game day parking. The orange colored lots require a parking pass. Note: Due to the incredible amount of rainfall that Clemson has experienced this fall, a few of the grass lots were almost destroyed. Some of these may still be closed or limited. It is very unfortunate because I feel the grass lots are prime tailgating real estate in Clemson.

Clemson SightSeeing On Campus

Nov 16, 2015, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

Below is a map that I put together a while back as a recommendation to visitor's for a stroll though campus. Starting downtown and ending up in Lot 6 (where the Tiger Walk will take place 2 hours before kick off). It goes through some of my favorite places on campus.

I can't find the map "legend" that I used, but for now, #1 is Downtown area on College Ave. Lots of bars, restaurants, gift shops, etc. #2 is the iconic Tillman Hall clock tower behind Bowman field. #3 is Calhoun Garden, a great place a walk through campus toward the amphitheater. Then left up to Fort Hill street which takes you to the stadium #4. You will pass by the home of John C Calhoun on the way. You will end up at the top of the "hill" underneath the scoreboard in the East endzone. From there, directly behind you is the Scroll of Honor Memorial Park (#5). Have a walk through there, a fitting reminder for those who have made the greatest sacrifice on military appreciation day.

The Esso club is at the north end of Centennial Blvd, across hwy 93 (Old Greenville Hwy).

Great map, except...

Nov 16, 2015, 4:50 PM

Tiger Walk is held in Lot 5, not Lot 6... you have the correct location on the map, just the wrong lot # referred to. :)

#3 is Carillion Garden, not Calhoun Garden :)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

you are correct, sir. + 1***

Nov 16, 2015, 6:15 PM

ma'am

Nov 16, 2015, 7:08 PM

:D

Photobucket

Don't forget Clemson Ice Cream shop in the Hendrix Center...***

Nov 18, 2015, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Clemson SightSeeing On Campus ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As it is Military Appreciation day, I'm sure there will be

Nov 16, 2015, 12:17 PM

Some military displays on Bowman Field on Saturday as well. In addition to the added military fare in the pregame parade to the stadium.

Photobucket

Nov 16, 2015, 12:29 PM

Suggest you wear your school colors as it will make you more noticeable. Clemson fans love to welcome visitors from other schools, sometimes even gamecocks :). Walking through the tailgating lots will guarantee you good conversation along with plenty to eat and drink.

Hope you have a great visit!!

Nov 16, 2015, 12:30 PM

Thanks for all of the info already. Couple of things to add.
We will stay in Clemson Thursday and Friday night. We will do both the partying and the traditions. So we will be touring the campus and city Thursday and Friday with some drinking in the evening.
We always visit the bookstore and buy the home team gear and cheer for the home team. We will however be wearing our schools hats on Saturday so if you see anyone wearing an Oregon, Oregon State or Arizona State hat, say hello.
We are not worried about it being Wake Forest, it is the last game of the year and you are the #1 team in the nation, I am sure Death Valley will be rockin.
The weather looks great- the last 2 years we were in the 20's and 30's for gametime at Michigan and Oklahoma State.
We are staying at Holiday Inn Express- should we buy a parking pass or just Uber over?

Nov 16, 2015, 12:40 PM

Food: Smokin Pig is always everyone's favorite. I also like to recommend Sardi's Den. It is pretty close to your hotel and has the best ribs in Clemson. You should call for a reservation but don't let that deter you. It's a 'local' restaurant and bar.

Tailgating: As others have suggested, just walk around and everyone will welcome you with open arms. No cash needed.

Also make sure to walk down and checkout the tiger tailgate show and everything they have at Doug Kingsmore (baseball stadium.)

Attire: Better than the actual Clemson bookstore, just walk around downtown to find your Clemson attire. Remember this is a purple game (there will be plenty of reminders)

Welcome to Clemson!

No Uber in Clemson! you should consider a parking pass, but

Nov 16, 2015, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

If you don't mind the hike from downtown, the Holiday Inn is walkable. Far, but it can be done. I have stumbled much farther distances in Clemson before

Re: No Uber in Clemson! you should consider a parking pass, but

Nov 16, 2015, 1:13 PM

There is Uber in Clemson. I've used it before on Friday night before game day.

Re: No Uber in Clemson! you should consider a parking pass, but***

Nov 16, 2015, 1:17 PM

Go on Tigertickets (link below)...we like Lot 24

Nov 16, 2015, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

it's close to Downtown, in front of Clemson House, and right across from Bowman Field. Easy walk to Stadium. If you don't want to pay for a parking pass you can get there early and pay to park at one of the businesses or homes in the downtown area.

http://www.tigernet.com/view/tickets.do?category=Football+Parking&srt=d&subcategory=Wake+Forest

see Fever's post above for a parking map...

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=18308106

Nov 16, 2015, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

If y'all are the outdoorsy sort, go for a hike up Table Rock (about 35 minutes from campus) on Thursday or Friday. Gorgeous views of the area (wouldn't recommend if a 1200 vertical ft climb over 3.5 miles isn't for you). Another good one is Todd Creek Falls, located on campus in Clemson's Experimental Forest.
For places to eat, check out Loose Change for some of the best dive bar food out there - the club sandwich is a favorite. Don't go to Greenville for partying when dt Clemson will be packed Thursday and Friday nights - it's pretty fun for just a few blocks of nightlife. Go order a pitcher of Clemson Goodnight at TDs and then head to TTT. But above all, just be friendly and Clemson folks will almost certainly display the characteristic Clemson hospitality! Go Tigers and hope y'all enjoy!

Pray for no rain.***

Nov 16, 2015, 12:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

This visitor's guide may be helpful

Nov 16, 2015, 12:35 PM

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/28500/pdf/athletics/visitors_guide.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=28500

If you like nature, the Botanical Gardens near campus
is kind of nice. And of course there's Lake Hartwell.

http://www.clemson.edu/public/scbg/

and some friendly southern women

My first choice would be the Esso Club.

Nov 16, 2015, 12:39 PM

Great food, cold beer and a great atmosphere. TD's and Tigertown Tavern are good for victory drinks. The Tiger Walk is about 2 hours before kickoff in Lot 5 (just ask someone and they will point you in the right direction). Lot 1 and 2 are good for tailgating. Most Tiger fans love meeting new people so it shouldn't be hard to find a good tailgate to hang out at. The band has a pep rally before every game in the amphitheater and then march down Fort Hill St to the stadium about an hour or so before kickoff. There are so many things to take in at Clemson on gameday. I hope you enjoy your time here and I'm sure after this weekend, Clemson will always hold a special place in your heart.

Nov 16, 2015, 2:06 PM

It looks like you have received a lot of great advice. I am in the same age range, so keep in mind Clemson is a college town, so if you are not into the college bar scene you probably want to venture to Main St Greenville (30 min away) on Thursday/Friday night. Don't get me wrong, they are all great bars, but I just don't care for the crowds and noise anymore. The Esso is probably your best bet for the older (our age) folks, might even see some Clemson football legends in there.

On gameday, tailgating will begin as early as 8:00 am. Unfortunately, not having a parking pass, be prepared to walk a mile or more to the stadium from the general parking lots. Make sure you go to the Tiger Walk...where the football players unload the bus and walk thru the parking lot behind the stadium on their way to the locker rooms. Ask any Clemson fan and they can tell what time and point you in the correct direction. The gameday radio show broadcasts behind the baseball stadium. It is always fun to watch and listen. Make sure you are in the stadium at least 30 minutes before kickoff. That will give you time to find your seats and see the grandest college football entrance in the county. Not to mention, this will only be the 2nd time in Clemson history, the #1 team has run down the hill. Clemson is not "bow ties and sun dress" atmosphere, so wear what you find comfortable and weather appropriate.

One thing I did not see mentioned is that odd seat numbers are on one side of the aisle and even on the other side. So don't be alarmed when your 4 seats are numbered (for example) 15, 17, 19 and 21. They are all side by side.

Clemson fans take pride in their hospitality, so feel free to walk up to any tailgate. Tell them what you shared here about going to 1 game a year and ask questions...and I promise you will have a plate of food and beers in your hand so fast your head will spin. That is as long as you are not wearing South Carolina Gamecock attire...in that case you will be sent on your way, lol.

All in all, have fun. Like most said, the opponent is not very good, so the game will not (should not...better not) be competitive. But it is the last home game of the year and they are #1, so it should be a sellout. Lastly, embrace your inner child by running onto the field after the game and whip and nae nae with Dabo.

I'd be interested in your overall impressions after your trip. Please come back and post your experiences (positive and negative) with us here. Enjoy and I bet you will want to come back every year.

^^^^definitely go on the field after the game...we welcome

Nov 16, 2015, 2:15 PM

you to sing the alma mater with all of our fans and our team! You are about to find out the meaning of "there's something in these hills!"

Good luck and hope y'all have a great time!

Re: ^^^^definitely go on the field after the game...we welcome

Nov 16, 2015, 2:47 PM

^and the meaning that the fans gather on the field every game because it's a tradition, even one that shouldn't be any contest...something fans of other teams don't quite know or understand and misinterpret.

I was talking to a LSU fan recently about going on the field

Nov 16, 2015, 4:15 PM

Me: we storm the field "every" game, win or lose,
Him: you storm the field when you lose?"
Me: of course

He looked at me like I was an alien.

^^^^ visiting ^^^^

Nov 16, 2015, 6:35 PM

^^^ all great suggestions ^^^...
I don't think I saw it in other posts, but it should be mentioned to "first-timers" that Clemson is spelled C-L-E-M-S-O-....N at the end of the chorus in Tiger Rag, so don't just blurt out the last "N" while the rest of us are waiting and doing our fist-swirl/air-punch "N!".
Also - you may hear a thing that sounds like "whoo-hoo" during the aforementioned O...N delay - you should avoid making this sound...EVER!
Go on the field - take pictures - have fun - welcome to Clemson!
Have a great time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2015, 2:37 PM

I was actually scheduled to be in Eugene this weekend doing the same kind of trip for Oregon/USC. At last minute, we changed plans and went to Austin and saw OK State take the Longhorns down in a crazy finish.

We typically have the same type agenda as your group. Sounds like you have been doing it long enough to have a plan in place and you will see from other posts there are plenty of things to do.

Our group always wears our full team gear (not just hats) and we never fail to make new friends. I'm admittedly biased, but Clemson is the friendliest gameday atmosphere you will find. You will be welcome wherever you decide to stop. I'd be sure to be on campus by 10 (unless festivities the night before call for a later arrival!) and take in several tailgates.

I'd suggest starting with Lot 1, then 2 and make your way over to Littlejohn area. If you find yourself near the stadium about 2+ hours before gametime, you could catch Tiger Walk (players arrive and walk through crowd to stadium behind West endzone). It is a relatively new tradition and one I have not yet witnessed myself.

Hope you have a great time! Come back next week and let us know how the trip compared to others you have taken.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2005_cws_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From a life long fan and current student

Nov 16, 2015, 2:41 PM

First off welcome to Clemson!
This is definitely the best atmosphere is college football and I'm glad y'all are coming down for the game.
On either Thursday or Friday, drive out to Smokin Pig in Anderson, about 15 minutes away. By far the best food in the area. Tons of people and only open Thursday-Saturday.
Wingin It is downtown and another casual place, but again DO NOT SKIP SMOKIN PIG!
The best bar on gamedays (and really the only one you need to go to) is the Esso Club.
I'd skip the bookstore even though it's by the 55 exchange which has really good ice cream. To get merchandise go downtown to judge kellers, the tiger sports shop, and many other places (better stuff and prices). Also while on campus go see Tillman Hall while it's still called Tillman Hall. Also you're from out west so you might not have a Chick Fil A, but yes Clemson does have a Chick Fil A (cough cough Cassanova McKinzey). Obviously go see the rock and the stadium before and on gameday.
Best of Luck!
And Go Tigers!

Meet at the paw

Nov 16, 2015, 2:57 PM

As a few posters have already alluded to, be sure to walk out on the field after the game. Despite what ESPN claims as us "storming" the field, it has been our long tradition to invite fans out on the field to greet the players and sing the alma mater after every game … Win or lose.

Hopefully you were able to obtain lower deck tickets. Unfortunately the upper deck is not connected to the lower decks. There is no pedestrian egress from the upper deck to the lower deck without leaving the stadium and reentering.

Clemson offers pass outs for those wanting to leave the stadium during halftime. Just hold on to your ticket stub and get your hand stamped and when leaving.

Nov 16, 2015, 3:02 PM

Get some Gear in Clemson at Mr. Knickerbockers doowntown.

Bar hp at Tiger Town Tavern, TD's, and maybe Esso Club Friday night.

Take a walk around campus and go see the reflection pond and the Hendricks Center for a homemade butter pecan milkshake.

BBQ at Smoking Pig in Anderson Friday for lunch and some for tailgating Saturday.

Play a round at the Walker course where they have a par 3 in the shape of a Tiger Paw.

Somehow work in a trip to the lake in there if you know someone with a boat on Friday.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome to Clemson. Hope you guys have a great time.

Nov 16, 2015, 3:27 PM

For great food I recommend Pixie & Bills 864.654.1210 call for reservations.

Leave a large tip because daughter is a waitress there and a grad student. Lol

For BBQ Saturday I highly recommend BBQ on the Run on hwy 28 just off Interstate 85.

be prepared to have a blast.***

Nov 16, 2015, 3:56 PM

A duck and a beaver walk into the ESSO club...

Nov 16, 2015, 3:57 PM

never mind

Nov 16, 2015, 4:01 PM

Most importantly, we need to meet as many people as possible because we will be seeing you in again in Phoenix (Glendale) on January 11th for the National Championship!

Nov 16, 2015, 4:31 PM

I recommend going out on the field after the game. As far as I know, Clemson is the only FBS school that allows (and encourages) the fan to go on the field. If you are in the upper deck you have to leave the stadium and reenter through the lower deck gates - won't be a problem getting in though.

Although Clemson does allow you to leave and reenter at half-time, I recommend staying for this one. Clemson does a fantastic job on the military appreciation day thing. Worth sticking around for IMHO.

Taking a walk through campus is worth the time it will take to do it. I'd hit a couple stores downtown on Friday or something if you are interested in Clemson gear.

If you do go to the book store (Hendrix Student Center) stop by Exchange '55 and get some Clemson Ice Cream.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2015, 4:40 PM

The Tigertown Tavern has a fantastic bbq sandwhich. It's also in the middle of DT Clemson right around the hustle and bustle of Gameday

Nov 16, 2015, 5:07 PM

Welcome, you will have a great time! Most are amazed at how friendly the fans here are.
Just mention to any you meet what your doing and you will be treated like kings, especially if you roam around the tailgating.

And don't listen to these old sissies on this site. Saturday is a GREAT game to come to at Death Valley. Wake Forest will be the last home game of the season.

You will experience the best college football atmosphere in the country!!

Nov 16, 2015, 5:34 PM

for fine dining - go to Blue Heron downtown. Get reservation as it will be crowded. That is where the ESPN people go and often mention it

CLEMSON WELCOMES YOU TO DEATH VALLEY

Nov 16, 2015, 7:06 PM

You will see that when you enter the stadium .

Good that you have a couple of days, just relax. Breath the clean mountain air and wander around.

Just feel your way .

Please take some time to simply walk the beautiful campus .

Enjoy the peace and calm.

Because come Saturday morning a sleepy little town of 10,000 will become a festival of 85,000.

Walk around, visit tailgaters.....all are welcome .

Get in the stadium early, you do not want to miss "running down the hill" !

I hope you enjoy .

Welcome! See Visitors Guide I did for Notre Dame

Nov 16, 2015, 8:22 PM

Gives you plenty of options.

http://tigerpregameshow.blogspot.com/2015/09/guide-to-clemson-weekend-for-notre-dame.html?m=1

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Welcome! See Visitors Guide I did for Notre Dame

Nov 17, 2015, 1:26 AM

I would recommend a Friday morning-lunch visit to Highlands NC. Just about one hour above Clemson but a number of great restaurants and plenty of beautiful waterfalls. Our Alma Mater begins"Where the Blue Ridge Yawns it' Greatness...." I say take the short trip up and enjoy our mountains in Highlands(elevation 4200 feet). Have lunch at Wolfgangs, check out Dry Falls and maybe Whitewater Falls and be back in Clemson by 3 PM.
Safe travels guys and have fun...Jaybird4

Jay, have you ever hit up Carolina Smokehouse BBQ

Nov 18, 2015, 11:23 AM

in Cashiers, NC? Good Stuff!!!

Just a hop skip from Whitewater Falls...

Re: Jay, have you ever hit up Carolina Smokehouse BBQ

Nov 18, 2015, 12:43 PM

5by5, I have passed it many times there on Hwy 64 on the right and it smells good as it appears they use wood for cooking. My wife is not a BBQ fan so she insists that we eat in Highlands at the more expensive places. They are very good though. Per capita I believe they have more good restaurants than anywhere I have ever been.
Cashiers used to have a great fine dining place called Horatio's....Jaybird4

Right on..Pixie & Bills has the best primerib I've ever had.

Nov 18, 2015, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Welcome! See Visitors Guide I did for Notre Dame ]

And Sardis ribs are awesome as well.

Response from Concho (AZ) resident

Nov 17, 2015, 10:58 AM

I'm sure you've gotten plenty of guidance from posts above, so I will not repeat.

Should you come to Concho Valley, stop at the "Sugar Shack" and ask where to find Will ... Clemson Guy. My wife and I would love to meet you ... all or any.

Every fall we travel to college football games. This year we've seen North Dakota State at Montana ... Southern Oregon at Carroll ... Boston College at Clemson. Soon we will see Clemson vs North Carolina (we think) in Charlotte and we have tickets for the Cotton Bowl.

We're building at 143 Cinder Drive ... should you choose to eschew a stop at the Sugar Shack.

Aloha, Will (Clemson Class of 1970)

Re: Visiting (soccer info) UNC and Texas A&M in Clemson too

Nov 18, 2015, 10:59 AM

Clemson also has Top 10 soccer teams. In fact on Friday afternoon UNC Tarheels (Tarholes) play Texas A&M at Clemson's soccer stadium (near downtown). Don't be surprised to see their fans around town. Friday evening Clemson women play Ole Miss. On Sunday Clemson men's soccer plays in a NCAA second round game.

Check our historic Hardin Hall and walk around the amphitheater up to the big bell. It's a neat campus.

Enjoy your weekend at Clemson.

Nov 18, 2015, 1:23 PM

I sent you a t-mail, y'all are more than welcome to join us at Tillman Hall.

Nov 18, 2015, 11:25 PM

Going to have to make some disagreements with folks, make some less common recommendations. I live in the area and go out a lot. A lot of these guys are recommending based on "back in the day."

Bars: TTT, TD's are both big loud college bars that will probably have loud pop music mainly. I recommend Backstreets for a slightly better (much better on regular days) music and crowd atmosphere. More southern rock and less Rihanna. They also just opened the largest outdoor space in Clemson. Better food too (just don't have super high expectations on game day itself at any bar). Backstreets has also really stepped up the draft beer game.

Nick's is the faculty bar, more intimate with the best beer selection.

Food: Calhoun/Rick Erwin's/Blue Heron for fine dining, but none are off the charts (Heron best priced, Erwin's most overpriced, Calhoun nicely balanced). Calhoun has a classic atmosphere though. Pixie & Bill's is owned by the Calhoun people and do a great lunch service. Yolk is the new thing, best Asian food in Clemson and the single most original establishment to come into town in a long time. Awesome ownership too. Esso is an institution but always a mess on game day. I hear the meat and 3 on Friday is good though.

Blue Heron is the best Sunday brunch in Clemson area (and only with booze; unlimited mimosas). Sidetracked in Central does a classic southern brunch too. Southern Culture Kitchen in Greenville has an amazing brunch with a stocked Bloody Mary bar and great unlimited mimosas. But go early.

BBQ: I'm going to plug a less known spot. Sure, Smokin Pig is great. The meats are all good (glazed ribs better than dry), and the sides and sauces are excellent. But you'll probably have to wait forever on game weekend. And there's nothing especially unique about the BBQ there; it's generalist. I recommend Circle M BBQ in Liberty, on Martin Sausage Rd. Go on Friday between 5 and 7. Seriously. They only do Eastern NC style whole hog pulled pork. No brisket. Only a few sides. One sauce. St. Louis Cut ribs instead of babyback. It's the most authentic BBQ experience you may find in the Upstate. And I think their best stuff beats Smokin Pig's best. You won't have to wait at all and it's way more homey than the Pig.

On transport: be on foot as much as possible. Get an uber or bus or walk to the game and don't expect to get an über for hours after the game. Traffic is a constant nightmare.

Nov 18, 2015, 11:36 PM

One more thing...don't go to Sardi's Den unless for Tuesday Crab Legs (which remains solid). I have a pretty good bit of "insider knowledge" there. It's gone way, way downhill in recent years. They use electric smokers/crock pots and liquid smoke for their BBQ. This is not advertised (the waitresses are encouraged to lie about the food quality/cooking/sourcing, or they are misled themselves). It's just not even close to as good as Smokin Pig or Circle M on ribs, and the pulled pork/chicken could be done better at home. Many of the other food items are very inconsistent. The ownership is pretty sleazy and they nickel and dime customers while cheating/harassing staff. They've cheaped out over the years and hired sub-par kitchen staff who put out bland/unsanitary/undercooked product. This resulted in a temporary downgrade in health rating earlier this year. Perhaps worst of all, they only have Bud Light on draft.

Attached to the same building is Goober's, which is the only bar in Clemson not downtown and one I recommend. Really cool owners, intimate setting, good drinks, reasonable prices for really solid bar food. Not walkable on Gameday but worth a trip on Friday or Saturday night. Full of locals rather than students usually.

Edit addition: Goober's also has a nice TV/seat ratio if you're looking for a sports bar minus the raucous college crowd.

Message was edited by: tigersarethecoolest®

Message was edited by: tigersarethecoolest®

Dec 7, 2015, 4:19 PM

Okay. I have been meaning to get this written, sorry for the delay.
Thursday- got into town around 5 pm and drove around campus, it is beautiful. Then went and had a few beers at TD’s and like many said it was a dive bar. It was stinky and not very clean but we had a few pitchers and enjoyed talking to some fans. We then went to Sardi’s Den and had the ribs and they were great. Early night
Friday- We drove out to the camping area by the lake- forget the name of it and we met a great guy with a huge motorhome and grill attached to it. He invited us back for breakfast the next day.
Drove over to the football facility where we has a appointment to get a tour. As it turned out we were walking into the facilities as the same time as a GA and we started chatting so we got a full tour from him. We went everywhere- players lounge, locker room, suites, on the field, indoor facility and we even met a few coaches. It was absolutely amazing. Lastly, they showed us a plan for the new facility- WOW!!!! We then walked down to the ESSO club and had a late lunch- good food and good atmosphere. One of the guys we were with is also a baseball coach at a very good HS program so we wnet and met with the baseball coaches and got a tour of their facilities. Again great facilities. We went and had some ice cream at the union. That night we went to The smoking pig, waited in line for over an hour but it was well worth it.
Saturday- Went back to the motorhome are and had breakfast then parked by the baseball field and walked around tailgates for a few hours. Everyone was very hospitable and we drank a lot of beer, ate a lot of food,, learned to drinking games and had an outstanding time.
Went into the game and we had seats in the second row on the 20 yard line on the Clemson side. Great game and great atmosphere. Went on the field afterwards- what an experience.
After the game we went to Tiger Town Tavern and what was going to be a few beers turned into a lot of pitchers and many hours. What a great atmosphere and we chatted with a lot of people.
Overall, between the 4 of us we have been on over 30 college campuses and many bowl games and we all agreed that this was the best trip we have ever been on. Everyone was very hospitable and the tailgating was as good as we have ever seen.
Clemson is doing it right!!!!!

Awesome to hear. Glad you enjoyed it and come again***

Dec 7, 2015, 4:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Dec 7, 2015, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

Awesome to hear. Glad you had a great time and saw how special the campus is. :) Definitely a unique experience for many who have never been to it.

the great thing about clemson is that atmosphere has not

Dec 7, 2015, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

changed over the year, even with all of the changes in technology, etc. i grew up there and still go back often to visit family and it truthfully will always be home to me.

That's like a "how to" guide for visiting Clemson.

Dec 7, 2015, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

Maybe throw in SC Botanical Gardens and or Issaquenna Exp Forest also and thats about as good as it gets.

Glad you made it, thanks for the follow up :)

null

Dec 7, 2015, 4:51 PM

Lastly, when you win the Orange Bowl I will come on here and post info for you all about Glendale and the greater Phoenix area

You picked a pretty good year to come see the Tigers play.

Dec 7, 2015, 4:54 PM

:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

That would actually be greatly appreciated!***

Dec 7, 2015, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Visiting ]

Replies: 71
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic