Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Updated ACC Basketball Standings.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Updated ACC Basketball Standings.....

Feb 6, 2021, 11:44 PM

1. Virginia 9-1
2. FSU 6-2
3. Va. Tech 8-3
4. Louisville 6-3
5. UNC 7-4
6. Ga. Tech 5-4
7. Clemson 6-5
8. Pittsburgh 5-5
9. Duke 5-5
10. Syracuse 4-5
11. NCSU 4-6
12. Notre Dame 4-7
13. Miami 3-10
14. Wake Forest 2-8
15. Boston College 1-7

- It's a little weird to follow with teams having played a different number of games, but this is where we stand after today.

- Getting into the top 4 and getting a double bye in the ACC tourney is the goal. The good news is that we would have a tiebreaker with Louisville and UNC if we ended up in a tiebreaker scenario with them. We have another shot against GT this week, which will be huge.

- I do think we have one of the less intense schedules of the teams battling to get into the top 4. Louisville has road games at Va. Tech, UNC and Duke..and a home game against UVA, among other things. GT is about to get hit with 4 games in a week due to Covid reschedules....and it starts with UVA, then Clemson, then Pitt. Ouch. UNC hosts VT, Louisville and FSU...along with trips to UVA and Syracuse. It seems to me that those teams will not come out of all that unscathed.

- I think there's three different ways to look at this stretch run with 6 games left:

1- We'll own the 3 home games, but struggle on the road...only getting 1 of the 3. But that would still put us at 10-7 in conference play. Good enough for a 4 seed in the ACC tourney? Maybe not. But we'd still be dancing.

2- We are about to steamroll everyone who gets in our way and win 5 out of 6 to close out the season. Pitt gets us up there...but we win the other 2 road games and win all the home games. 11-6 likely gets us a 4 seed in the ACC tournament.

3. We drop one we shouldn't and kind of go back and forth down the stretch. Maybe GT owns us for the moment and they get us. Notre Dame turns out to be a tough out on the road mid-week. We split with Pitt and find a way to beat Wake & Miami...9-8 in conference play. Likely still dancing...but might be sweating it out a bit.

- I tend to think # 1 is the most realistic of these 3. Any of them could happen. But it seems that aside from one very bad game against UVA at home...this team plays well in Littlejohn. The road games are still a question mark...so we'll see if they can get a couple of those.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There might not be an ACC Tourney so top 6-7

Feb 7, 2021, 12:58 AM

Is definitely paramount.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Updated ACC Basketball Standings.....

Feb 7, 2021, 1:39 AM

Our biggest struggle on the road is defensively . . which is crazy. The GT at home is a must win. We definitely win the BC on the road . . the others??

Feb 8, 2021, 12:42 PM

Our biggest struggle on the road is defensively . . which is crazy. The GT at home is a must win. We definitely win the BC on the road . . the others??

Our defensive struggles start with terrible shooting. On our 5 game stretch where we took 4 20+ point losses we were missing so many shots. They were bad misses too.

When we don’t make our shots, we don’t have the chance to set up our defense and we are just scrambling. This leads to wide open looks.

I don’t think effort was the issue with our D during that stretch.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2021, 1:54 PM

You didn't actually watch the game huh? We had one great offensive showing (save forced TO), one about average and one ice cold miss. Our D was off at times, we were just dealing with two hot teams and the D issue popped up with Duke if anything (although other teams O look great)

GT shot nearly 60% to our 50% from the Arc. Their 2 point shooting hurt their overall shooting %. Combined with a very good game defensively with a lot of steals, they had their best game since Hewitt.

UVA had nearly as hot of a game but in this case, we shot poorly from 3pt. We did attach and make most of our 2 point jumpers/rim, (shot low 40s I think), but when another team will take 3 points 50% of the time and you only match them with 2 points, there is at least 15 of that beating right there. But hey, they were shooting 60%+. Otherwise, everything BUT the 3point shooting was a decent game. Few turnovers, ok, 2 point shooting. You stil;l get run out of the building if you show up poorly from 3 and the other team shoots 60+

Finally Duke: That is your only quasi-accurate game. Duke had an average game, we were ICE cold. It wasa road game so just chuck it up to that - maybe overthinking the last two and forcing it.

Feb 8, 2021, 3:58 PM

Ok. Maybe I used the wrong word. Poor offense?

When we are either bricking shots, or turning the ball over we don’t get our defense set and that leads to wide open looks.

UVA - We had 17 points at half and only scored 50 in the game. That is a terrible offensive performance. Any time you only score 50 you miss a ton of shots.

GT - we had 19 turnovers and a bunch of bad misses on wide open shots despite our decent shooting night.

FSU - had a 30% FG % and went 5-30 from three. Enough said

Duke - only scored 53 points in the game. That is poor shooting 35% FG % and 24% from 3. Bad shooting.

So it begs the question.... what have you been watching?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2021, 4:40 PM

You know, when you want to complain about games and you talk about Yale last year - it is valid. This year we are playing above the sum of our stats.

Poor offense is relative. We have lived at/near the bottom of the ACC this season. Pointing to a span of games and saying it is abnormal is incorrect.

We are either 13/ of 15 or 15/15 for our shooting/3pointers and scoring. Yet we are what, 6th in the standings? Why because we are 5th in attempts. We get more shots than other and make 42%. What has been keeping us afloat is that we are a strong defensive team (4rd lowest opposing team %) thus far and when we can generate points, they are effective from a "more is better" style. If the D gets out of whack, then it hurt as we can't gun it out easily if we miss. Even when we are having a ridiculously good night, GT can have one better.

We take more shots than most (even if we don't win them, we limit opponents to a lower % and only allow them to take a average number of shots. We normally win the turnover battle.... only UVA is better defensively that us...

UVA- They ran out their lead in the 2nd. We were lucky that we were "only" down 15 at half - but they became hot in the 2nd that resulted in the big difference. Still UVA's D did what it needed to do. Still, our D in the first didn't do anything wrong and held UVA to 33 or so in the first. Not great but not bad... they just exploded early in the 2nd for about 40 points in 10 minutes. It was 3 after 3 for about 10 minutes. We were 21 of 52 - slightly above average for us. But while we were getting the short shots finally budging, they were reading those for 3s. It wasn't an issue of us turning it over or missing and not getting our D set. We hit a hot team... back to back as both UVA and GT produced 1.5+ points per possession.

GT had about 10 steals (more forced TO than we had TO vs UVA)- they were having "the game" for them. Devoe was lights out. We too 48 shots to GT's 54 - but they were scorig 1.53 point per possession to our 1.3 (and 1.3 i a heck of a clip). But hey, Clemson is #4 in TO margins - GT is no 1 and dang, they were living in our lanes.

Traded blows with FSU, not worried about going 1-1 and holding court. That game was lost because we were thinking about do rather than doing and why we were cold. It happens when you have those odd runs.

"Only" scored 54 vs UofL, won. Only Scored 56 vs Miami - won. Only scored 53 vs MSU - won. Only scoring 50 can be fine IF you hold them to less- that is actually how UVA was built in part.

Feb 7, 2021, 6:35 AM

Agree with scenario 1. For the more basketball minded posters... please help understand why road games are so difficult without fans? I get the environment but without fans I would think it would be same as home game? The travel and routine can’t cause the road problems we have in my opinion.

Feb 7, 2021, 9:33 AM

There are far more factors on the road than just fans cheering for the opposing team.

Being comfortable shooting and playing in your home gym is always a factor. Shooters CONSTANTLY talk about depth perception behind the basket being important for shooting. Shooting in a big arena like the Dean Smith Center or the KFC Yum! Center is FAR different from shooting in, say, Littlejohn Coliseum or Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Also...not having the travel factor is huge. How do you feel when you have to pack a bag, ride a bus, to board a plane, to ride a bus, stay in a hotel (perhaps), etc. It isn't terribly easy, especially for guys who are taller than the average person. Buses and planes may be modified a bit, but, again, nothing replaces coming out of your residence hall and driving/walking to the arena you go to every day for practice.

Feb 7, 2021, 10:15 AM

Must beat Ga. Tech. Win 4 of 6 and I'm a happy guy! Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I say the most straightforward is to “win out”

Feb 7, 2021, 4:26 PM

Regular season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic