Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How much money would it be worth to you to work in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1,344

How much money would it be worth to you to work in

Apr 13, 2021, 3:00 PM

Oxnard, CA? Probably like 50% travel out there to start, then level off to like 25%?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol looks like a mortgage crisis in the making

Apr 13, 2021, 3:04 PM

About an hour north of Los Angeles, Oxnard offers beachfront living at an affordable price. The median household income here is $62,349 with median home value settling at $332,600.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like I'd buy a house..lulz

Apr 13, 2021, 3:08 PM

I think part of this deal would be putting me up in a Apt or Hotel while I'm there.

I went out there 2 years ago, and it was a pretty nice ride up the PCH from LAX. Weird the ocean was on the wrong side though.

3X Base Salary would make me consider it

Apr 13, 2021, 3:04 PM

and still not commit

It prob would be a pretty good bump

Apr 13, 2021, 3:09 PM

The guy doing teh job there now is retiring, and has been bugging me about replacing him when he leaves. He gets the final call on his replacement.

I dont know how old you are, but unless nearing end of

Apr 13, 2021, 3:43 PM

career or there are overriding family considerations, do it. The cultural and professional experience will be things you will remember and talk about forever. It will change and prepare you in ways you cannot now predict.

You can come home later. If you even choose to. And the bump in pay and position follow you from then on. I started in the upstate, took some opportunities like yours for about 15 years, now back in upstate. Its like I never left, but I wouldn't trade those interim things for anything. And there was no bump in pay or position for me: I'm speaking only about the experiences.

Do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who knows where I am career wise.

Apr 13, 2021, 3:50 PM

I'm old enough that if I got fired tomorrow, I'd never get a job that pays as much as I make now, and my guess is, since its been a while since I've gotten another job offer, is that getting another job would be difficult.

Got it. Yeah, my moves came with a bit of stability in the

Apr 13, 2021, 4:03 PM

new places, not likely axed in a year or two. And I always figured I could get a job in the good ol upstate if I had to. Without having a couple of beers to discuss all the factors, all I can say is that I know you'll balance the pros and cons well.

This will sound like I'm all in touch with my feminine side - not that there's anything wrong with that - but your wife is a great barometer of how the pros and cons fit together. If she's, "Woo hoo, lets go", you'll do great there, whatever happens. If you have to talk her into it, will get dicey. One move, MrsTulsa was all in, and even though unexpected things happened we always worked around them, things felt natural. On another move, she was okay with it only because I thought it was the greatest thing ever, and we left before a year was out: everything about it became a square peg/round hole thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+ 1 on this, good stuff.***

Apr 13, 2021, 3:51 PM [ in reply to I dont know how old you are, but unless nearing end of ]

Half pay to move and only a quarter to live there

Apr 13, 2021, 3:08 PM

I know IOP is getting crowded but that sounds like a losing proposition

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I love it on IOP, even with the occasional traffic

Apr 13, 2021, 3:10 PM

Its gonna suck if I have to move

How much extra could you make shuttling ballzout gummies

Apr 13, 2021, 3:12 PM

back and forth in your carry-on?

Do they check for that stuff?

Apr 13, 2021, 3:14 PM

Maybe I'll put'em in my shoes.

I don't know anyone living in Cali right now who wants

Apr 13, 2021, 3:13 PM

to be living in Cali

One dude who works for me live out there

Apr 13, 2021, 3:16 PM

He is actually from Florence originally. He loves it there, but his wife's and her folks are from there, so he has built in baby sitting. He said he might move one day...if his wife lets him.

Can you imagine living in Florence?

Apr 13, 2021, 3:18 PM

My Granny lived in Hartsville, so I've been to the big city of Florence more times than I can count.

Imagine how much better anywhere in Cali has to be than Flo Town.

I have thought that

Apr 13, 2021, 3:23 PM

And yes, I spent a decade in Kingstree one year, so yes, I know exactly how it is.

50% travel but being put up while out there?

Apr 13, 2021, 3:14 PM

Do you have an expense account or per deim on top of that? I'd do it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It'd be per diem I'm sure

Apr 13, 2021, 3:15 PM

That's what they are doing with the current guy, or at least they were, pre covid.

So yeah, if you don't have to relocate out there

Apr 13, 2021, 3:18 PM

Go get yourself 10-15% extra and win.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See there is the concern

Apr 13, 2021, 3:46 PM

I get out there, do a good job and and they tell me I have to move there, or they quit me.

It would take a helluva lot more to cover the taxes.

Apr 13, 2021, 3:16 PM

And the gas costs. And how are the BBQ restaurants?

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

California is wasted on Californians.

Apr 13, 2021, 3:20 PM

Gorgeous state with amazing natural resources and a bizarre populace that ruin it.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You just described Florida. And West Virgina.***

Apr 13, 2021, 3:21 PM

Maybe California will be better once they all move to Texas.

Apr 13, 2021, 3:23 PM

Sort of like what's happening in South Carohio.

Well, it was settled by a bunch of people who

Apr 13, 2021, 3:26 PM [ in reply to California is wasted on Californians. ]

were failures back east or just plain crazy and took off.

So was the US, mostly***

Apr 13, 2021, 3:36 PM

Up until the pandemic started I was travelling there regularly

Apr 13, 2021, 3:41 PM

Every other week for work. Oxnard is "meh" at best, Ventura Beach is much nicer from a "stuff to do" perspective.

Pros for Oxnard:
The strawberry fields along Del Norte off of the 101 smell good when they're ready for pickin'
It's close to Point Mugu and all the trail system through the state park. Highly recommend Ray Miller to Backbone trail (~3.5-4 mile trail-run with climbing the first half) and the Serrano Canyon Fire Access Road (for general, well groomed, flat trail runs).
Laura at the Hilton Garden Inn is a good bartender and will top off your pint at the end of the night for free (if she likes you)

Cons for Oxnard:
Expensive
It's generally older homes
Outside of drinkin' and the new mall, there's not a whole hell of a lot to do

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

I vomited in the Outback Steakhouse parking lot there

Apr 13, 2021, 3:44 PM

Sat down, ordered my food, drank about half a beer, and was like...this ain't right.

Walked outside, and was all "thats fscking sad.gif" all over a bush in front of a volvo. Walked back in, finished my beer and ate my steak.

I've never had that happen before, or since.

/CSB

Pffffft.

Apr 13, 2021, 3:47 PM

I've vomited in a LOT of Outback Steakhouse parking lots all over the US.

And you went back in and finished your meals.***

Apr 13, 2021, 3:51 PM

No.

Apr 13, 2021, 4:47 PM

Always AFTER eating there.

The Outback on Solar?

Apr 13, 2021, 3:51 PM [ in reply to I vomited in the Outback Steakhouse parking lot there ]

When I stopped my travel spree, there was a guy on long-haul assignment at Hueneme, trying to find someone to fill a civilian IT security spot at the base. He was staying at the Townhome Suites next door to the HGI, but would come over in the evenings and drink with us. He ended up going home to NoVA about 2 weeks after my last "regular" trip. No idea if he ever filled that spot.

/csb_pt2

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

One thing I’ve learned in my Corp roles

Apr 13, 2021, 3:53 PM

Barring budget constraints, travel never seems to taper off.

A job that requires 50% travel up front will more likely go to 75% (or a forced move) than it will 25%.

Obviously don’t know your situation and there are exceptions to every rule, but here in 2021, companies saying “let’s take some requirements off an employee’s shoulders” is just pretty rare.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The forced move is the concern.

Apr 13, 2021, 3:55 PM

I could do the job from here..but they would prob want me on their time.

I’m sure you’ve worked with west coasters before

Apr 13, 2021, 3:58 PM

They’ll be the first ones to throw a tantrum when you schedule a call at 10am EST, but think nothing of 8pm EST calls at the end of their day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've got a guy in Portland I'd cut loose tomorrow if I could

Apr 13, 2021, 4:02 PM

find a replacement. He won't make a call on time, and nothing before about 2 PM my time, but he'll stay up and work until like 3 or 4 am, and wants to get all chatty at that time of day when I talk to him. I figure the coke must just be kicking in about then or something.

Southern CA? No thanks. Now, different if the Bay Area.***

Apr 13, 2021, 4:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's the difference?

Apr 13, 2021, 4:51 PM

It's legal in the entire state now.

At least two hunnered gees

Apr 13, 2021, 4:34 PM

just in case they want to move you.

And if they do, tell them you’ll move to San Diego to be in the same time zone, but you ain’t moving to Oxnard.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1,344
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic