Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Somebody's wittle feeling get hurt?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Somebody's wittle feeling get hurt?

Apr 12, 2018, 5:50 PM

When will this crap ever stop?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/thunder-issue-statement-on-broadcaster%e2%80%99s-racially-insensitive-comment/ar-AAvOjxV?li=BBnb7Kz

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My father picked cotton as a youth, I don't think he would

Apr 12, 2018, 5:54 PM

offended by the remark

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My father picked cotton as a youth, I don't think he would

Apr 12, 2018, 6:00 PM

I actually picked cotton for a black man. Time to stand up to some of this PC stuff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My father picked cotton as a youth, I don't think he would

Apr 12, 2018, 6:08 PM

If you wear cotton you are a racist.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your whole statement is offensive. First, lots of people

Apr 12, 2018, 9:23 PM [ in reply to My father picked cotton as a youth, I don't think he would ]

don't have fathers and you shouldn't use that word.

Second, you said "my" as if you owned your father. Sickening.

Third, you said "cotton' again.

Fourth, you used the word "youth" which is insensitive to those who are geriatricly challenged.

Fifth, you used the pronoun "he" instead of a gender-neutral pronoun like Xe. I hope you're not in Canada right now. You could be arrested.

Sixth, the word "offensive" is very offensive.

Seventh, when you use the word "remark" you're forgetting that people named Mark might think you are insinuating they need to remark because they're not mark enough anymore. Very mannerless.

I really can't believe neanderthals like you still exist.

Re: Your whole statement is offensive. First, lots of people

Apr 13, 2018, 7:23 AM

You just gave us a look into queenies brain. That’s exactly how he thinks.

Shoot me now!***

Apr 13, 2018, 7:25 AM

Re: Your whole statement is offensive. First, lots of people

Apr 13, 2018, 7:26 AM [ in reply to Your whole statement is offensive. First, lots of people ]

POTD

which racist gave me a TD?***

Apr 13, 2018, 12:38 PM [ in reply to My father picked cotton as a youth, I don't think he would ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Somebody's wittle feeling get hurt?

Apr 12, 2018, 5:59 PM

It’s an expression and my whole family on my moms side we’re all cotton pickers but it had nothing to do with them. I’m so offended it wasn’t used on a white guy! Com’on folks this is dirt digg’in crazy!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Not a good look...

Apr 12, 2018, 6:23 PM

Not sure how that's debatable.

I think you could find other examples if you need a reason to complain about PC stuff, pussification of stuff, saggy pants, etc.

What's your point?***

Apr 12, 2018, 6:36 PM

It's not a commonly used expression

Apr 12, 2018, 7:43 PM

The guy is not a racist, I'm sure. Yes, people are sensitive more than ever. However, I'm not surprised this is news. I don't think people are losing their minds over it, but I don't think this is a "reflection of the times"

I just roll my eyes when people get so riled up about the reaction to the reaction. This seems like a lame example to go off on the usual "millenials are soft, the media is slanted, you can't say anything anymore" rant

The fact that someone can be publicly reprimanded and

Apr 12, 2018, 8:31 PM

made to apologize for doing absolutely nothing wrong is disturbing, and it's wrong, and it's part of a bigger, more insidious problem.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It is a pretty common expression, and has been used for

Apr 13, 2018, 9:37 AM [ in reply to It's not a commonly used expression ]

centuries, all the way back to the 17th century (pre-slavery) when both blacks and whites picked cotton. It was also used in films back in the day in place of swear words because they were still frowned upon in films/on television.

Now, the phrase "cotton-picker" is derogatory and used in a racial sense, but obviously that's not what was used.

The fact that the Thunder immediately came out saying "We feel strongly that it was inappropriate and offensive," is a bit of an overreaction. Not to mention the various masses tweeting about it without actually knowing the reference and immediately associating cotton with race, instead of doing their research and learning, which leads to growth.

Apr 12, 2018, 6:30 PM

Every last one of us #### sapiens gets offended by something , if not daily it's weekly to be certain .
You're taking umbrage with someone else's taking offense over some subject that doesn't personally offend you .
Nothing wrong with saying that you're offended , it isn't a sign of weakness .

I am offended that Lil' Debbies finished 2nd to Hostess in the latest large brand snack cake customer satisfaction contest. How can we think about cotton at a time like this ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 12, 2018, 6:31 PM

I’m offended that you’re offended because the OP is offended!

Apr 12, 2018, 6:32 PM

As the OP suggested ... there may be no end to it .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 12, 2018, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Somebody's wittle feeling get hurt? ]

"You have got to be kidding me!"??

People trying to create racism where it doesn't exist

Apr 12, 2018, 6:35 PM

They are worse than racists. The people trying to make things racist based on little or nothing (like with this story) seem to outnumber the racists.

Re: People trying to create racism where it doesn't exist

Apr 12, 2018, 6:40 PM

So feigning racist outrage , however disconnected from reality .... is worse than actually being a racist ?

That's a bold statement , Cotton .

DB23

Re: People trying to create racism where it doesn't exist

Apr 12, 2018, 8:31 PM

### for tat...

Yes***

Apr 12, 2018, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: People trying to create racism where it doesn't exist ]

Apr 12, 2018, 6:46 PM

It's nothing like a white man trying to tell a black man when he should be offended.

Are you out of your cotton-pickin mind?***

Apr 12, 2018, 6:52 PM

Re: Are you out of your cotton-pickin mind?***

Apr 12, 2018, 9:06 PM

I'd love to meet you keyboard warrior.

I have nothing against good people from any race.

Apr 12, 2018, 9:30 PM

You can't immediately judge by just the words. If a person only uses "cotton pickin" in a simple way of speaking, with no bad intentions, then it shouldn't be made more than it is.

Re: Are you out of your cotton-pickin mind?***

Apr 13, 2018, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Are you out of your cotton-pickin mind?*** ]

lol

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

The black man shouldn't be offended if the white man has no

Apr 12, 2018, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Somebody's wittle feeling get hurt? ]

ill intentions whatsoever.

similar to how aennis announcer Doug Adler was fired

Apr 12, 2018, 7:48 PM

Last year for saying that Venus Williams was employing "guerilla" tactics. He claims that he meant sneak attack style of play like going to the net. A few Twitter tennis people took it the racist way and got him fired despite his apologies and explanation.

story

Apr 12, 2018, 7:52 PM

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/18687347/doug-adler-sues-espn-firing-venus-williams-comment

Re: story

Apr 12, 2018, 9:47 PM

Yup.

I drew the line with this crap in the sports world at the beginning of last season when ESPN reassigned color commentator Robert Lee from the U-VA football game last year.

Because of that I say and will always maintain liberals and the left are ruining this country and there is a special place reserved for them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Unreal***

Apr 12, 2018, 9:57 PM [ in reply to story ]

Yeah, that'd beyond ridiculous

Apr 12, 2018, 8:33 PM [ in reply to similar to how aennis announcer Doug Adler was fired ]

Seems some people skipped a lot of high school history

Apr 13, 2018, 9:41 AM [ in reply to similar to how aennis announcer Doug Adler was fired ]

classes.

I didn't see that story, but did Venus ever come out with a statement on how she felt about it? Or was it just third-party observers raising hell?

I pick cotton

Apr 12, 2018, 7:51 PM

out of my butt everyday. Jeeezzz

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

It won't stop until we are able to talk openly and honestly

Apr 12, 2018, 8:23 PM

about race in this country, without having to tiptoe around unpleasant truths buried under a mound of PC BS.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 12, 2018, 8:29 PM

TigerCarolina, it will not stop.

Apr 12, 2018, 9:26 PM

We are now programed to look for anything in a statement that could be construed as being sensitive to a specific person or group. Almost all cotton grown in the United States today is mechanically harvested and has been for a period longer than the age of any NBA player. Before the advent of the mechanical harvester, both blacks and whites picked cotton and the words "cotton picking hands" never has been directed to the blacks specifically.

In some of my WW2 stories, some of you are aware of one of my closest buddies., Pollock. It was never intended as being derogatory and he was offended when we didn't call him Pollock.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2018, 10:02 PM

Anybody that would get offended by that saying is a pure T idiot .
The sad thing is that this is even a topic of discussion.
This country is screwed

Apr 12, 2018, 10:09 PM

The country isn't " screwed " .
Why do people take that defeatist's stance when looking at a thing that matters only to a few ? It's unimportant nonsense. This won't tear down our foundations of freedom , lay waste to the strip malls and amber waves of grain .

Make a joke about it and move along .

DB23

I'm sure they said the same things when

Apr 12, 2018, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Somebody's wittle feeling get hurt? ]

12 yr olds weren't allowed to work in factories.

It's funny that you never hear really successful people say things like "pussification of America".

this guy is successful

Apr 13, 2018, 5:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrzwB1DVFs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2018, 3:29 AM

People LOOK for any little connotation to see if they can spin it to be offensive (usually racist). We sit and let these absurd people control our speech because it might offend one of the babies.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

You learn something new every day. I had no idea

Apr 13, 2018, 5:19 AM

cotton pickin referred to race. I've been using that phrase for 50 years. No telling how many people I have been offending all these years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is more a case...

Apr 13, 2018, 9:07 AM

of someone trying to create racism where none exists.

Heck...Bugs Bunny even used the expression in one of his cartoon episodes.

Apparently ole Bugs should be labeled a racist too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I know exactly how many ppl you’ve offended with that phrase

Apr 13, 2018, 9:09 AM [ in reply to You learn something new every day. I had no idea ]

ZERO!

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic