Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Stats & Storylines: Line play has to improve for Tigers to regain championship form
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

TNET: Stats & Storylines: Line play has to improve for Tigers to regain championship form

Jan 4, 2021, 8:01 AM

Stats & Storylines: Line play has to improve for Tigers to regain championship form

Was it just wishful thinking? After Clemson dominated Notre Dame in the ACC Championship – particularly with their offensive and defensive line play – I thought the Tigers were peaking at the perfect time. Taking a deeper look at what happened and what's ahead for Clemson football. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously***

Jan 4, 2021, 8:07 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Well, duh. Barry Sanders wouldn’t have had a 100 yard game with our line***

Jan 4, 2021, 8:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Stats & Storylines: Line play has to improve for Tigers to regain championship form

Jan 4, 2021, 9:14 AM

In 2017 Alabama kicked our butt and it was all doom and gloom. The next year we won the Championship again over Alabama. We have good players coming back and coming in. We will always be good if we stay the Clemson family and All-In. Don't panic. Dabo will have us ready next year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kicked our butt? That game was a war.***

Jan 4, 2021, 10:23 AM

Re: TNET: Stats & Storylines: Line play has to improve for Tigers to regain championship form

Jan 4, 2021, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Stats & Storylines: Line play has to improve for Tigers to regain championship form ]

We held Bama to 260 total yards so not really the same thing with a 640 yard effort vs Ohio State

Jan 4, 2021, 9:31 AM

Yep....how you recruit the QBs we do and not get the OL to go with them...I don’t know. We also need to recruit a bruiser back....we haven’t had one since Priester. I can take a loss, but do not tolerate embarrassing losses....something went wrong, way wrong, and we better fix it through better recruiting and coaching, quickly.

Jan 4, 2021, 9:49 AM

I don't know what team you were watching this year but The O-Line didn't excel in pass blocking either. TLaw was pressured all season long. Not a single one of those guys should have his starting job going into next season. Especially Jackson Carmen, he was like a bullfighter on like 75% of the passing plays this season. (Ole! You missed me now see if you can catch Trevor)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you all for reading this season

Jan 4, 2021, 10:12 AM

It's been fun. Thanks for reading and commenting. I appreciate it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D was rebuilding, but the OL, its ALWAYS bad, which begs

Jan 4, 2021, 10:22 AM

the question, why is Caldwell still on staff????? Go ahead, gimme my TDs but its a valid question.

Re: D was rebuilding, but the OL, its ALWAYS bad, which begs

Jan 4, 2021, 11:10 AM

Was wondering about coaching of OL too. We seem to be better at "Coaching Up" in other positions. But has been a crazy year all-round for everybody. A Tiger strength has always been coaching adjustments over half-time. Maybe we get some of that over-year this time...hope so! Also hope we get to be in Memorial Stadium in person!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2021, 11:39 AM

I love all our guys but these past 2 or 3 classes especially I think the talent they have gotten into the program is better than ever before. With that said I don't care about star rankings unless it's signing day. So I could care less who is starting as long as they can get the job done. I don't know what it is but when I see top notch lines at say Bama or Ohio State or even Notre Dame I just don't see that type of play from our line. I don't want to call it softness bc I don't think anyone who starts on the line for Clemson is soft but maybe it's aggressiveness. I don't know maybe I don't have any idea what I'm talking about but for some reason it just seems I don't see the same play on the o-line at Clemson as I do the other top elite schools. When playing elite teams does it ever seem like we can impose our will running the ball and on defense it seems like the opposing teams RB has almost 200 yards rushing every time. Obviously there our times that that isn't the case but more often than not it is. Like I said before, BV's defense's are feast or famine. Either his defense is going to play lights out or they are going to give up 600 yards of offense. I know it sounds like I'm complaining but I'm not just pointing out things I see because Lord knows I have had the time of my life this past decade and love and thankful for every win and championship. I don't think that is done by any means. Go Tigers!!!!

The last OL that could come close to imposing their will

Jan 4, 2021, 12:47 PM

Was the 2015 season with Gallman. He didn’t have the YPC ETN had but we could beat on a defense

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2021, 11:46 AM

Not sure I'd agree with the oline always being bad. It's definitely an area we've needed improvement. It's ashamed that Trevor went through 2 rebuilding years. Last year D and this year O. This year to no one's fault. Couldn't have foreseen Ross being out all year, nor our other two take the top off receivers not able to stay on the field. Ladson was actually coming along well. As he points out, our Dline should have been setup to develop well this year too.

Recruiting wise, our dbs had good recruiting ranks coming in but imo just haven't developed as much or fast as you'd have thought.

My question, goes back to the comment Myles stated after the game. OSU oline spread them out and moved the line that kept them confused and guessing on whether to rush or cover the gaps... Or something to that affect. Would love to hear CBV response to that. Spare me the holding on every play.

If that's what osu was doing, then why couldn't we adjust? Two, did we not recognize that from tape. Was it something new they hadn't shown all year? We also didn't seem to be ready for their TE's which they haven't used much this year. And how did we keep letting sermon reverse course and not keep containment.

Seems to me with the transfers of belk, Logan quitting mcmicheal transfer etc, that we could have anticipated our lack of personell misses in 18, 19 etc and utilized the transfer portal. Yes/no?

Not making any statements, just asking the x and o experts. Tia

CG- Pennsylvania

Re: Plenty of room to get better

Jan 4, 2021, 12:15 PM

Offensive line has no mean streak. Hopefully they will man up and not get pushed around next year. Defensive line has a chance to be dominant next year but will heave top prove it. Some of the receivers need to turn the corner or move out of the way and let some others do the job. Defensive back field had troubles at times worse that trying to cover a baby's butt with a 40 ft. tarp. Hopefully next year the Tigers mindset will be to make an opponent have to defend every inch of the field, sideline to sideline and goal line to goal line. Never quit attacking and keel them guessing. Consistency will be the name of the game. I know the lure of making money in the NFL and someone in your ear telling you are better than you actually are is strong but the only underclassman that can go pro is Trevor Lawrence. Some other guys may get their bubble burst. If we are satisfied to win the ACC every year and of course beat the chickens then so be it. I know their was a lot of youth this year and the staff squeezed to get everything they could. By a won/loss record and winning the ACC is good with the Tigers then i am good with it. Bring on 2021.

The real storyline

Jan 4, 2021, 12:44 PM

Is that we played 5 more games than them, and that’s where the domination came from, both physical and mental. Had the shoe been on the other foot we would have dominated both lines of scrimmage and crushed them.

I know this isn’t being talked about, and you will never hear it as an excuse from Dabo, but I think he knew we were at a disadvantage from the time the match up was announced.

Jan 4, 2021, 12:52 PM

We tend to recruit skill players better than OL personnel. How many OL have we put in the NFL in recent years vs DL, receivers, DB’s as an example? Not sure if that is a philosophy or just what we are able to get. Maybe we dont have a rep as an OL factory.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Nice job Mr. Kantor!

Jan 4, 2021, 10:06 PM

I noticed in the ACCCG that at times our entire defensive line got swept right or left. That gave opposing offences the ability to make big gains by running in space vacated by our D-line. Then, in the Sugar Bowl that seemed to happen all the time. Then I find out that we weren't being swept. It was our defense sliding right or left. Is this "shell game" line play employed to try and cover up some deficiency? Does BV employee a flex defense in championship games?

Re: Nice job Mr. Kantor!

Jan 5, 2021, 12:03 AM

According to Myles, OSU was using a stretch and moving the line to keep us confused. He admitted it did confuse them, they lost a step or two guessing whether or not to rush, or cover the gaps. I'm surprised we didn't adjust. Maybe it was youth. May be what someone posted in another thread that Tony would have been in the box and could have helped CBV with what they were doing. Idk.

Love hearing a discussion. And I like what was said that other teams picked up our tendancies through the year and day beat us with it.

Also, Nolan alluded to the fact that guys were not in position. Perhaps with a team as good as osu, we needed him in the 2nd qtr. Bad on us for not having a next guy prepared.

According to Rivals, 7 of the best 11 OLinemen we have signed since 2002

Jan 4, 2021, 11:07 PM

Are on the 2021 roster. We are now getting excellent OLine talent.

If OSU’s line confused us, hat tip to them. That is not easy to do. And unlike LSU, they’ll be back again next year. But as I always say, it is nearly impossible to fool BV a second time so I would certainly welcome a rematch.

The best is yet to come for these Tigers.

null

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic