Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tillman Hall should be renamed, Calhoun college should
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Tillman Hall should be renamed, Calhoun college should

Jun 10, 2020, 12:36 PM

be renamed. In fact, anything named after a Democrat should be renamed and the Democrat party be dissolved. It would be simple and solve a lot of problems. Most of the problems and division both past and present in this country were caused by the Democrat party.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tillman Hall should be renamed, Calhoun college should

Jun 10, 2020, 12:37 PM

I approve of this message except the first sentence.

Jun 10, 2020, 12:41 PM

Oh man, another poster that slept through US History class. Let me remind you about how the parties flipped in the 60s, started by our very own alumnus and Senator, Strom Thurmond.

Strom Thurmond flipped to the Republicans because JFK and LBJ both supported (and later signed) the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts. This alienated racist, southern voters whom had been democratic since Reconstruction. They all flipped to Richard Nixon by 1968.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-policy-history/article/nixons-southern-strategy-revisited/700408B092EAAF23A4980969E1E40CE0

This is openly known and taught by Clemson's history department. Stop by Hardin Hall and talk to either Dr. Rod Andrew or Dr. Paul Anderson in the history department (the two professors of Southern history at CU) and they'll tell you the same thing.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2020, 1:02 PM

The Republican Party is still the party of Lincoln, Civil Rights, etc. The Democrat Party is still the party of the Grand Wizard Byrd, Slavery, KKK and now Antifa... Shamelessly burning, looting and destroying peoples livelihood in the name of organized chaos. One persons affiliation makes not a party.

Jun 10, 2020, 1:17 PM

"Still the Party of Lincoln"

Also defends the building of monuments of the people that literally wanted Lincoln out of office and dead. Some nice mental gymnastics there.

Also, I recommend you check out the Lincoln Project. Literally started by old school republicans that believe the party has strayed from the days of Lincoln.

That Fox News/Sirius Patriot radio has rotted your brain out, clearly. Antifa is literally just a loose coalition of edgy kids that protest throughout the world for various things. Antifa was big in Hong Kong and the Euromaiden uprising in Ukraine.

Literally, check the DOJ reports on the protests. The vast majority of looters have been associated with white supremacist groups trying to incite more violence. The "Boogaloo" groups are actually responsible for quite a bit of the damage committed.

Go read what the "Radical Republicans" and "Party of Lincoln" wanted to do during Reconstruction. They wanted to punish the South further, try all the CSA leadership for Treason, and maintain the military occupation of the Southern states indefinitely until a process similar to what West Germany did during denazification was completed.

http://ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Radical_Republicans

Radical Republicans (Party of Lincoln):

Thaddeus Stevens - "I can never acknowledge the right of slavery. I will bow down to no deity however worshipped by professing Christians – however dignified by the name of the Goddess of Liberty, whose footstool is the crushed necks of the groaning millions, and who
rejoices in the resoundings of the tyrant’s lash, and the cries of his tortured victims." May 4, 1838

Charles Sumner - "I have fought a long battle with slavery; and I confess my solicitude when I see any thing that looks like concession to it. It is not enough to show me that a measure is expedient: you must show me also that it is right. Ah, sir, can any thing be expedient which is not right? From the beginning of our history the country has been afflicted with compromise. It is by compromise that human rights have been abandoned. I insist that this shall cease. The country needs repose after all its trials: it deserves repose. And repose can only be found in everlasting principles. It cannot be found by inserting in your constitution the disfranchisement of a race." Final speech in the U.S. Senate on Constitutional Amendment (9 March 1866)

Again, did you sleep through your US History class or do you just bleat out whatever Tucker, Hannity, or Lou Dobs word vomits on TV?

Jun 10, 2020, 3:01 PM

I implore you to research Open Society Foundation. Who runs it? Who funds Antifa and who funds BLM?

What does this person have in common with the DNC and its candidates?

Then, I want you to review Project Mocking Bird and tell me what it stands for vs. those that you called out on FNN.

I have seen much more evidence of ANTIFA than these Bugaloo Boys that you speak of. In Seattle as we speak ANTIFA has occupied Capitol Hill and has stormed the Governors office demanding the Gov defund the Police and change her stance.

I can quote both Democrats from the 19th century all day long that counter your argument. I know Biden approved Prison Reform that sentenced more black people to longer and more harsh terms than any previous candidate.

Your comment about the white supremacist being the vast majority of looters and rioters is so outlandish that I refuse to respond.

Do some of your own investigation instead of reciting CNN and MSNBC garble and understand why their ratings are fading faster than the Titanic.

Jun 10, 2020, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Tillman Hall should be renamed, Calhoun college should ]

Strom ran for President way back in 1948 as a Dixiecrat and carried 8 states if memory servers. Barry Goldwater had a huge impact in switching a lot party affiliations in 1964.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2020, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Tillman Hall should be renamed, Calhoun college should ]

And so the Democrat party has come a long way with the nomination of Biden

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/03/joe-biden-record-on-busing-incarceration-racial-justice-democratic-primary-2020-explained.html

I didn't sleep through history class

Jun 10, 2020, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Tillman Hall should be renamed, Calhoun college should ]

More republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act as a percentage than democrats did.

https://www.countable.us/articles/17557-fact-check-republicans-voted-civil-rights-act-percentage-democrats-did

Not sure why Democrats from the South continue to lie to themselves about the past. The media, along with southern democrats continue to try and convince everyone that the years after Plessy vs. Ferguson until Brown vs. the Board of Education that even though democrats controled virtually every political position in the south they were REALLY Republicans because Strom Thrumond switch parties. LOL, keep telling yourself this lie. Own it, grow up, change and move on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

my understanding is LBJ signed reluctantly...***

Jun 10, 2020, 1:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so you are saying

Jun 10, 2020, 12:42 PM

that you wouldn't have voted for a democrat before the 1950's?
this answer will be interesting

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so you are saying

Jun 10, 2020, 1:24 PM

If Republicans were still like Ike or Goldwater, maybe. The whole "defund the war machine" and build the Interstate Highway System were amazing. But nah, let's continue selling billions in weapons to the Saudis and dumping billions into idiotic programs like the F-35.

Has anyone suggested removing the name Clemson?

Jun 10, 2020, 12:50 PM

Thomas Clemson was a Confederate officer and a slave owner. Just saying this to inform people that problems exist no matter what something is called. There would be no Clemson without Calhoun, Clemson and yes, possibly even Tillman. As bad as he was, Tillman played a part.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has anyone suggested removing the name Clemson?

Jun 10, 2020, 2:04 PM

It seems like the rush to rename buildings and remove monuments has taken precedence over infinitely more important issues. The issues of out of wedlock births, dropping out of school, drug usage and gun violence are not black or white issues. I have personally witnessed how these issues are plaguing Appalachia which is virtually all white. Having children as a teenager and without a husband is irresponsible. To not at a minimum finish high school sets one on a path to either enter or remain in poverty. Poverty leads to despair which perhaps is responsible for a portion of drug usage which then leads to difficulty obtaining or keeping a job. Despair and a sense of low self worth may perhaps be part of our violent nature.

While everything should be on the table, including a dialogue concerning removal of names, statues, etc.., this to me is way down the list of priorities of where changes need to be made. I understand changing social mores is more difficult than the low hanging fruit of pulling down statues or renaming buildings, but unless the above mentioned issues are addressed, the improvement of society at large will be minimal in my opinion. I hear only occasionally these issues being mentioned.

Personally, I had no issue with Governor Haley removing the Confederate battle flag. I had multiple ancestors who fought with the South and feel they personally were not evil men. They were poor. They had no slaves. Their state went to war and they went to war with their state. The South lost which in my opinion was also a very good thing, but is a separate issue.

Haley made a healing gesture by removing the flag after the Emanuel AME Church shooting. I feel it was the right move. For years prior to this, the flag issue took up a lot of energy and focus instead of the aforementioned issues. The flag is gone. What has really changed? Are teenage births down, drop outs significantly diminished, poverty, drug usage or violent crime? It is exceedingly difficult to navigate a path to become a professional or having a well paying trade skill if these problems are not dealt with.

Again, I think it's worth having a dialogue regarding monuments and the names of buildings that are offensive to others. We also need to seriously consider where does this all end. Do we rename Washington DC? Washington only freed his 317 slaves upon his death. Hum, District of Columbia may be a problem too. Columbus enslaved and mistreated the indigenous people of the New World. The importation of slaves to the US ended on January 1,1808 meaning that the flag that every slave first saw in America was the Stars and Stripes, certainly not the Stars and Bars. Native Americans were massacred and their land seized under the Stars and Stripes. Do we ditch our flag too? Our history is complicated. We need more dialogue and lots of listening among all of us. My concern is that we need to be more focused on what I personally feel would elevate all races rather than being in a frenzy to purge history. Sure, let's talk about it and perhaps do some of it, but again where does it end? I must admit Fecalia is more appropriate than Columbia.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has anyone suggested removing the name Clemson?

Jun 10, 2020, 2:35 PM

You're totally right, and your message is well-expressed: renaming buildings is a whole lot less painful than other possible changes, so if we can't agree on that, what hope do we have?

That's next.***

Jun 10, 2020, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Has anyone suggested removing the name Clemson? ]

Jun 10, 2020, 1:01 PM

Tillman was originally called Main Building. We could return to that. Naming things after the major or Mission of the building could eliminate issues down the line on some persons name. Well this assumes there no person out there with a bad track record with the name of Main.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2020, 1:06 PM

Likewise, we can rename Clemson University to Main University. Where does it end? Maybe we can call the confederate states, the main states....

Jun 10, 2020, 1:19 PM

Although, The Main Tigers would certainly be a truism.

Jun 10, 2020, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Tillman Hall should be renamed, Calhoun college should ]

Slippery Slope fallacy.

Check the things that Calhoun and Tillman actually said.

Do you really want a guy that said this as the namesake for the focal point of our campus?

"We of the South have never recognized the right of the Negro to govern white men, and we never will. We have never believed him to be the equal of the white man, and we will not submit to his gratifying his lust on our wives and daughters without lynching him."

Sorry, but Old Main was the building's original name. It was renamed in 1946 supposedly as a "gift" to Tillman's son. But the Clemson history department taught that it was more a shot across the bow to USC, who started admitting black veterans under the GI Bill at the time.

So we should have a one party system like say....

Jun 10, 2020, 2:11 PM

Russia or China?

If anything we need to add a party or two.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So we should have a one party system like say....

Jun 10, 2020, 2:15 PM

AMEN to more viable choices than the Dems and GOP. Sick of all the posturing!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its like the ole saying....nothing sinks like a partnership

Jun 10, 2020, 2:27 PM

Like you said, it's all finger-pointing BS.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its like the ole saying....nothing sinks like a partnership

Jun 10, 2020, 2:51 PM

You're exactly right, the two parties now days are nearly identical. The Republicans have gone the way of the Whigs before them.

But the Democrat party has been steeped in evil all thsee decades, ever since their founding and the Jackson administration. THAT is not being taught in schools, and now the party is trying desperately to erase as much evidence of their history as they can get away with. And I can totally understand why.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic