Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tiger & the Majors....maybe not so impressive?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,157

Tiger & the Majors....maybe not so impressive?

May 22, 2015, 11:04 AM

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/jenkins-woods-beat-lot-nobodies-major

May 20, 2015, 3:50 pm

Tiger Woods' 14 major victories came over a varierty of foes, from Hall-of-Famers to journeymen. But does the skill of Woods' closest competitors matter when evaluating the wins? The answer is yes, at least according to noted golf writer Dan Jenkins.

During a wide-ranging interview with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Jenkins pointed to the names below Woods' on several major leaderboards as a sign that the fields were not as deep then as they are today.

"There's much more talent at the top (and the bottom) than there was during Tiger's peak years. Tiger beat a lot of nobodies to win most of his majors," Jenkins said. "Yeah, there was Phil (Mickelson) and (Ernie) Els around, in and out, but go back and look who was second to him in those majors and tell me where they are now."

The list of players who finished second to Woods in majors is a lengthy one, and it includes both Mickelson (2002 U.S. Open) and Els (twice), not to mention Sergio Garcia (1999 PGA), David Duval (2001 Masters) and Retief Goosen (2002 Masters). But it also includes the likes of Thomas Bjorn (2000 British Open), Bob May (2000 PGA), Shaun Micheel (2006 PGA) and Woody Austin (2007 PGA).

The latter group combined for five PGA Tour wins and one major, that being Micheel's 2003 PGA Championship win. Woods' most recent major win came in a playoff over Rocco Mediate, who was 45 years old when the two dueled at the 2008 U.S. Open.

Jenkins - who drew Woods' ire last year with a parody article in Golf Digest - also believes that the days of Woods challenging Jack Nicklaus' major record are over.

"He'll be lucky to win another major," Jenkins said. "He’s a few months away from turning 40, which means he will only have five good years left to do it. In all of history, only four players have won a major beyond the age of 44. One more thing to consider: Tiger gets older every year, and the current best players are much younger and are no longer intimidated by him."

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Golf is not one on one...

May 22, 2015, 11:07 AM

Tiger beat everyone in the field, not just the person who finished 2nd. This article strikes me as a little odd.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Article is garbage. He beat who was there. plain and simple.

May 22, 2015, 11:10 AM

By same token, he has beat his body to a pulp and has ghosts in his head from the past 5-7 years.

Getting to 19 majors is pretty much a pipe dream. He fist pumped making the cut at Sawgrass. That alone tells you where he is now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that doesn't make cents

May 22, 2015, 11:11 AM

what does who finished 2nd have to do with anything?

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: Tiger & the Majors....maybe not so impressive?

May 22, 2015, 11:13 AM

This is like saying all football NC prior to 1990 are irrelevant bc college football was not the game then as it is now.... Guy is an idiot

that article is junk.

May 22, 2015, 11:25 AM

There were a ton of elite players then. Moreso than now imo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He should look at Jack's

May 22, 2015, 11:26 AM

There were a handful of good to great players and then junk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jack was the greatest loser of all-time.....

May 22, 2015, 12:03 PM

as he finished 2nd 19 TIMES in major championships. He's also the greatest sportsman ever, never bad mouthing the winner and always accepting defeat graciously.

Tiger's record will never sniff Jack's.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im not one to drool over Tiger...

May 22, 2015, 11:31 AM

as most grown men do, but that is just an opinion piece and nothing more. He beat who was in front and did it often and it blowout fashion at times.

He deserves all the credit for that. The field is tougher overall now and maybe if Tiger was only 30 right now he may not have won quite as many, but he'd still have his majority share.

I do agree with Jenkins that Tiger is all but done. I think he just might steal a major in the next 5 years (which would be awesome for golf) but thats about it.

So...sounds to me like you all agree that it doesnt

May 22, 2015, 11:32 AM

matter what conference you play in...hmmm interesting twist

May 22, 2015, 11:44 AM

You guys are way off if you think the talent back then was better than it is now. There is WAY more talent now. Look at the young guys like Rory, Rickie, Jordan and Day. Look at guys like Bubba, Rose, and so on. Ask any golf expert and they will tell you the same, that the talent is much deeper now.

May 22, 2015, 1:40 PM

Based on that logic it also stands to reason there was way more talent when Tiger won his majors than Jacks. It doesn't matter who, why or how they won the all time greats separate themselves form the competition. You want to say the field is deeper I am fine with, a lot more people are playing golf now(because of Tiger), but I don't care which one of these young guys you want to take back to 1998 Tiger would still have been just as dominate.

null

May 22, 2015, 2:00 PM

So Tiger would have been just as dominant with Rory and Jordan as opposed to Vijay Singh and David Duval? Get out of here.

GTFOHWTS***

May 22, 2015, 1:07 PM

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,157
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic